Wifi Television and data usage when abroad (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Thank you Ian, that is very helpful. Do you buy a SIM card when you get to France? If so, how much GB do you get and from where, please? This is all new for us. Thanks
We’ve just come back from Spain/Portugal. Took a 100Gb/£25 Popit SIM with us, worked really well and got through about 60Gb’ish/month. Used with a Firestick

Jun 5, 2020
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2020
I have the Huawei E5577 linked with 100GB Popit SIM. I bought a Firestick back in the Black Friday sales with the aim of watching TV whilst in France and Spain. However, I have since discovered that the Avtex TV we have does not have a HDMI port. I understand that converters only work in the opposite direct to the one I require. Further spend on a new TV not really justifiable.
Therefore, I plan to watch on iPlayer, UK tv play etc on an iPad, would everyone confirm that my assumption is correct.
with regard to the previously mentioned download speeds, cannot find any method of altering this on an iPad, has anyone any comments or experience of this?
thanking you all in advance.

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
I’ve used the same DVD Ripper for years. I’ll need to fire up the Desktop to get specifics. It’s called DVD Ripper but is not current. It does the job so we’ll I’ve not looked at a replacement tho.

I make an ISO file from the DVD. Then put the ISO onto my Media Player.
There, it can be loaded as a DVD by the Media Player or from other devices over the network via an app like VLC.
The ISO files I need away from the home network can be copied to a USB drive (y)

Handbrake is another popular DVD Ripper.
It all sounds rather complicated. I'd better start googling 🤔😟

Sep 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2013
Hi everyone - We will be travelling in France soon with a wifi TV for the first time. Can anyone advise me approximately how much data a TV uses, please?
Just been using Popit sim in France and Spain. No issues whatsoever on 100gb/£25/month.
On my way home to the UK now and paying £1/month to put the sim on on hold till next time. Also great customer support via chat.
👍

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
I have the Huawei E5577 linked with 100GB Popit SIM. I bought a Firestick back in the Black Friday sales with the aim of watching TV whilst in France and Spain. However, I have since discovered that the Avtex TV we have does not have a HDMI port. I understand that converters only work in the opposite direct to the one I require. Further spend on a new TV not really justifiable.
Therefore, I plan to watch on iPlayer, UK tv play etc on an iPad, would everyone confirm that my assumption is correct.
with regard to the previously mentioned download speeds, cannot find any method of altering this on an iPad, has anyone any comments or experience of this?
thanking you all in advance.
No HDMI port ?
must be a really old Avtex , pretty sure hdmi has been available on all avtex models for the last 10 years or so

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
It all sounds rather complicated. I'd better start googling 🤔😟
In MS Windows, for example, you can have DVD Decrypter be the application that auto starts when a DVD is inserted.
Then you are ready to rip the DVD when the application has finished loading & discovered the DVD.
When the DVD has been ripped, copy the ISO file to the storage location you need.

There are some optional steps to tune the desired result.
I use a Tagging app to get the DVD’s cover image used by the ISO file and to add title and cast but that’s optional.
And you may want to set the location the ISO file is saved to. Or just check the filename & location each time 🤷‍♂️😎

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Just been using Popit sim in France and Spain. No issues whatsoever on 100gb/£25/month.
On my way home to the UK now and paying £1/month to put the sim on on hold till next time. Also great customer support via chat.
👍
That sounds great, thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
In MS Windows, for example, you can have DVD Decrypter be the application that auto starts when a DVD is inserted.
Then you are ready to rip the DVD when the application has finished loading & discovered the DVD.
When the DVD has been ripped, copy the ISO file to the storage location you need.

There are some optional steps to tune the desired result.
I use a Tagging app to get the DVD’s cover image used by the ISO file and to add title and cast but that’s optional.
And you may want to set the location the ISO file is saved to. Or just check the filename & location each time 🤷‍♂️😎
Thank you, I will have a go at this. 👍👍

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Thank you, I will have a go at this. 👍👍
Here’s my iPad using the VLC app to play my alien resurrection ISO rip from the media player (or NAS effectively): -
FD9C81A4-1897-4719-9FAA-ABD5A4D7830B.png

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Hi everybody, we had BT sims and used our data with no cut off when using our Fire stick in France and Spain since 2019. Now with EE and for a charge of £10 any given month allows full use of all our data. It’s a no brainer for us and the satellite system is being removed next week. It’s a Maxview Cube if any body is interested. View attachment 728915

That’s a nice looking van, have you got any details on it, converter…😎

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Hi everybody, we had BT sims and used our data with no cut off when using our Fire stick in France and Spain since 2019. Now with EE and for a charge of £10 any given month allows full use of all our data. It’s a no brainer for us and the satellite system is being removed next week. It’s a Maxview Cube if any body is interested. View attachment 728915
Likewise with EE as posted previously, and we have 250Gb p/m to use! (y)

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
👍
Thank you Dave. This is helpful 👍

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
That’s a nice looking van, have you got any details on it, converter…😎

Think it’s this guy, we went to look at one before covid, Craig, the owner was spot on talking us through the conversion process, just to small for us at the time.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Hi everyone - We will be travelling in France soon with a wifi TV for the first time. Can anyone advise me approximately how much data a TV uses, please?
I am in France at the moment on my way home from 2 months in Spain. We have an O2 SIM which we use at home which has 160 GB per month. This last month we used 145 GB. I have found ITV buffers quite a bit but the other channels and Netflix are fine. I tried a local fibre connection in Spain which gave 165 Mbps with several vpns but it buffered and dropped out much more than with O2 which doesn't need a VPN.

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
I have a smart TV and started off using a SIM I bought in Spain 45 euro for 150gb. Now I have found ID Mobile who have a roam like home policy. I pay £12 a month for a 12 month contract unlimited txt, calls and 150gb of data that rolls any unused data to the next month. Haven't found better.

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
To everyone who has contributed to this conversation, thank you very much. You've all given me plenty to think about and lots of different ways of achieving what I want when we go to France. I'm so pleased that I joined this forum, its absolutely brilliant.
Have a great week everyone and thanks again 🚐👍👍👍

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I have a smart TV and started off using a SIM I bought in Spain 45 euro for 150gb. Now I have found ID Mobile who have a roam like home policy. I pay £12 a month for a 12 month contract unlimited txt, calls and 150gb of data that rolls any unused data to the next month. Haven't found better.
Looks great, had a look at their website. Are you sure there is no data capping in the EU and does the sim allow router/hotspot use?

Jun 5, 2020
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2020
No HDMI port ?
must be a really old Avtex , pretty sure hdmi has been available on all avtex models for the last 10 years or so
Thanks Neil, every day’s a school day! In taking photos of the TV’s various ports on the ends to respond to you and BigTwin, swung it out and as I was on my knees realised that yes, there are 2 HDMI ports underneath.
Thank you both for prompting me to look again.

Jun 5, 2020
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2020
Was there anything in between Scart and HDMI?

C’mon Engineer999, what’s on the back/side of your Avtex?

Ian😎
Thanks Ian, every day’s a school day! In taking photos of the TV’s various ports on the ends to respond to you and Neil, swung it out and as I was on my knees realised that yes, there are 2 HDMI ports underneath.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Thanks Ian, every day’s a school day! In taking photos of the TV’s various ports on the ends to respond to you and Neil, swung it out and as I was on my knees realised that yes, there are 2 HDMI ports underneath.

Haha, somewhere to plug your Firestick into then; have you told your good lady yet? 🤣🤣🤣

Ian😎

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Your plan with I'd mobile has a roaming limit of 9.2GB scroll down the link.

Jun 5, 2020
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2020
Haha, somewhere to plug your Firestick into then; have you told your good lady yet? 🤣🤣🤣

Ian😎
Ah, well, first of all activate sim 2 weeks prior to departure (what could go wrong?)then attempt to set up Fire Stick with Router/sim (again, what could go wrong?) then, and only then, will I declare a success!!!!!

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Ah, well, first of all activate sim 2 weeks prior to departure (what could go wrong?)then attempt to set up Fire Stick with Router/sim (again, what could go wrong?) then, and only then, will I declare a success!!!!!
Set up your firestick whilst you are still at home, you can use your phone as a hotspot if the house WiFi won't reach.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

I understand your caution!

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back