Wifi Television and data usage when abroad (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well spotted. Looks like Popit is still the best bet for heavy data use in the EU.
Check this one out, sounds better than Popit, this is from another thread

RWG

https://www.rwgmobile.wales/webshop/pay-monthly/unlimited-mins-sms-200gb-data-£20-month/

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Check this one out, sounds better than Popit, this is from another thread

RWG

https://www.rwgmobile.wales/webshop/pay-monthly/unlimited-mins-sms-200gb-data-£20-month/
Looks interesting but... no good for us as you can only tether one device at a time, we use three or four. This is from their Fair Use Policy.
You may also use the Services through your Device as a means to connect another personal device (for example, a tablet) to the internet (Tethering) but you must not Tether more than one device at the same time.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Looks interesting but... no good for us as you can only tether one device at a time, we use three or four. This is from their Fair Use Policy.
You may also use the Services through your Device as a means to connect another personal device (for example, a tablet) to the internet (Tethering) but you must not Tether more than one device at the same time.
But wouldn’t a router be one device

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
Looks great, had a look at their website. Are you sure there is no data capping in the EU and does the sim allow router/hotspot use?
The only issue I have read is if you suddenly use more data abroad than in the UK they might ask proof of UK residency. Just an email with a bill will do that then you're good to go again. I tether my phone to the TV and switch on the phones mobile hot spot. Had no issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
Sep 13, 2020
Somewhere surrounded by sea
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 1979
We just want to be able to access films from Netflix and Amazon Video, not terrestrial channels. Are you able to do that with Popit, without a VPN? Thank you.
Would it not be better to purchase plugin hard drive and record a load at home and watch those whilst away?
Hope you sort and have a nice holiday.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
That's only if you don't show them proof of UK residency if asked as they then think you're permanently roaming
Have you used large amounts of data abroad with this sim yet?

this is from the t&c

Surcharge examples:

• If you have a £10 plan with 10 GB of monthly data, you can use up to 7.72GB in our band 1 inclusive roaming destinations, just like you would at home. A surcharge is then applied to any additional data up until your 10 GB limit. After this, you’ll either need to use out-of-plan usage or purchase a data add-on, both of which do not incur a surcharge.
  • If you have a £25 plan with 15 GB of monthly data, you could use your entire allowance without getting a surcharge as your fair use amount is 19.30GB.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I have spent the last 4 weeks in Spain with a 140gb Yoigo sim in a 4g mifi unit. The sim was 34 euros. I have expressvpn which costs £84 per year.
We watch our oldish Avtex tv most nights for an hour or two through a firestick. Definition is set to the lowest = ’good’. It works with all tv channels if the sim signal is good enough. Amazon and Netflix have some programs / films that are only available in the US, or UK etc. If we want to watch something only available in - e.g. the US. I just tell the vpn, which I installed onto the firestick, to use a server in the US. Simples.

I just looked and we are up to 73.25 gb used. With two weeks before we go home, it should have some left for when we come back in September!!

I should add that both of our phones and ipads are using the mifi as well. Unless out of range of course, when the phones use the 12gb eu use free per month on our UK 3 sims.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Yes it would.
Each device would have a unique IP address though.
But I wouldn’t know how the cellular network provider would track each device.

I wonder how they track it.
On a traditional corporate network lan an IT manager can decipher connected devices. Maybe there’s a way.
Source and destination of traffic is included in most traffic data.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Ah, well, first of all activate sim 2 weeks prior to departure (what could go wrong?)then attempt to set up Fire Stick with Router/sim (again, what could go wrong?) then, and only then, will I declare a success!!!!!
You're calling yourself 'engineer???' Would suggest at least some technical ability :LOL: :LOL:

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
We had a 100gb popit sim and you can use all of it abroad
Activate it when you set off then deactivate it when you get back
We’ve just come back from our 3month trip over the winter in Spain using Poppit for the first time. We found it excellent. 100gb roaming was great for us with streaming the TV on a FireStick. As long as you are not silly with your usage 100gb is just fine for us.

Aug 17, 2021
Cambridge, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner TL680G
Exp
Since 2019 but before in Australia and NZ. Not used it yet in Europe. Previous keen caravanner.
This is a great thread guys, thanks! A couple of bits of advice please..... 1. Which VPNs work on BBC and ITV please (as someone said, Surfshark used to which is why I bought it) - is Windsock the only one? 2. Which are the EU SIMs that work in Uk and you can use in UK as well as EU?
Also, I recorded some DVDs recently onto USB sticks - I used WinX DVD Ripper Platinum which was free (I think!) and really easy to use but learnt that you need to make sure your TV accepts USB3 as the TV we used it on only worked with USB2 sticks.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
This is a great thread guys, thanks! A couple of bits of advice please..... 1. Which VPNs work on BBC and ITV please (as someone said, Surfshark used to which is why I bought it) - is Windsock the only one? 2. Which are the EU SIMs that work in Uk and you can use in UK as well as EU?
Also, I recorded some DVDs recently onto USB sticks - I used WinX DVD Ripper Platinum which was free (I think!) and really easy to use but learnt that you need to make sure your TV accepts USB3 as the TV we used it on only worked with USB2 sticks.
Nord vpn and ipvanish are pretty good as vpn,s.... just strip your dvds to a usb 2.0 pen drive ...you can get a 2 terabyte one ebay for 7.99

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi all.
For us the joys of going away is not to watch TV However we do take dvd sets to watch on the few nights when books, cards, mmm , or just taking is not enough. To be fair we have not been away for more than four weeks at a time so maybe long trips will change that. Until then. We enjoy our own company.

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
Have you used large amounts of data abroad with this sim yet?

this is from the t&c

Surcharge examples:

• If you have a £10 plan with 10 GB of monthly data, you can use up to 7.72GB in our band 1 inclusive roaming destinations, just like you would at home. A surcharge is then applied to any additional data up until your 10 GB limit. After this, you’ll either need to use out-of-plan usage or purchase a data add-on, both of which do not incur a surcharge.
  • If you have a £25 plan with 15 GB of monthly data, you could use your entire allowance without getting a surcharge as your fair use amount is 19.30GB.
No, going to be using for the first time in April. I understand from reading the rules that what you have posted only applies if when asked you can't prove residency in the UK. But we will see.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
25yrs in Motorhomes and Caravans before that
Just to be exact, comms speeds are in bits per seconds, not bytes, so your first calculation should be ÷8 to get to bytes...
Storage is usually in bytes etc..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ken Octon

Free Member
Oct 14, 2018
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thank you Ian, that is very helpful. Do you buy a SIM card when you get to France? If so, how much GB do you get and from where, please? This is all new for us. Thanks
You are probably better off buying a SIM from Popit in the UK but activate it and set your router up correctly before you leave. A 100gb SIM is £25 per 30 days but there are some smaller Popit units and comparatively more expensive per gb. Works off the EE network and its partners with little roaming restrictions (no more than 180 days). We used ours in France and Spain. One downside was that my wife could not pick up Facebook posts on her phone - but I could...
Or when in France you can buy 'My European SIM' from Bouygues Telecom shops - 20gb for €39.90 but only valid for 14 days and iPlayer doesn't work through it.

May 2, 2014
Washington
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 584DL
Exp
17 years + 35 tugging
Everone to their own.
I'm glad that we don't do much TV abroad as it forces us to do ther things, like walk, BBQ, sit out with a drink, play scrabble, read, do cryptic crosswords together and would you believe even talk to each other. we seem to feel a lot closer when touring (and it's not just due to the size of the van).

We have a large collection of DVDs (remember them?) and I record a lot of stuff onto a SSD drive before we travel just incase the weather isn't so good but we don't use them much.

The down side is that when we get home she has all those Corrie recordings to catch up on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back