Wifi Television and data usage when abroad (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Would it not be better to purchase plugin hard drive and record a load at home and watch those whilst away?
Hope you sort and have a nice holiday.
Thank you. It's an idea but not sure where to download the films from or how to do it. I've read that it's difficult from Prime and very time consuming. Now thinking of buying a Firestick or a Roku 🤔

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
You are probably better off buying a SIM from Popit in the UK but activate it and set your router up correctly before you leave. A 100gb SIM is £25 per 30 days but there are some smaller Popit units and comparatively more expensive per gb. Works off the EE network and its partners with little roaming restrictions (no more than 180 days). We used ours in France and Spain. One downside was that my wife could not pick up Facebook posts on her phone - but I could...
Or when in France you can buy 'My European SIM' from Bouygues Telecom shops - 20gb for €39.90 but only valid for 14 days and iPlayer doesn't work through it.
That's great, thank you. Yes, I think I will definitely get a Popit. It sounds perfect for our needs. Thanks very much 👍

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
We’ve just come back from our 3month trip over the winter in Spain using Poppit for the first time. We found it excellent. 100gb roaming was great for us with streaming the TV on a FireStick. As long as you are not silly with your usage 100gb is just fine for us.
A Firestick and Popit seem a good idea although I don't think it supports YouTube

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
No problem with YouTube on Firestick
Check out RWG mobile they do 100gb (200gb at the moment) for £20 and it can be used in eu

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
No problem with YouTube on Firestick
Check out RWG mobile they do 100gb (200gb at the moment) for £20 and it can be used in eu
Someone recently said the roaming fair usage policy allows far less than 200gb ..

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Someone recently said the roaming fair usage policy allows far less than 200gb ..
This is the email I got from them

Hi Nick,
Thanks for your email. Yes it would work in a router. The SIM needs to be activated in the UK before leaving for the EU but once this is done via a single call or SMS it will work fine when roaming. There is no cap or restriction.

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
I have spent the last 4 weeks in Spain with a 140gb Yoigo sim in a 4g mifi unit. The sim was 34 euros. I have express vpn which costs £84 per year.
We watch our oldish Avtex tv most nights for an hour or two through a firestick. Definition is set to the lowest = ’good’. It works with all tv channels if the sim signal is good enough. Amazon and Netflix have some programs / films that are only available in the US, or UK etc. If we want to watch something only available in - e.g. the US. I just tell the vpn, which I installed onto the firestick, to use a server in the US. Simples.

I just looked and we are up to 73.25 gb used. With two weeks before we go home, it should have some left for when we come back in September!!

I should add that both of our phones and ipads are using the mifi as well. Unless out of range of course, when the phones use the 12gb eu use free per month on our UK 3 sims.

Aug 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E442
This is the email I got from them

Hi Nick,
Thanks for your email. Yes it would work in a router. The SIM needs to be activated in the UK before leaving for the EU but once this is done via a single call or SMS it will work fine when roaming. There is no cap or restriction.
Sounds like things have changed ...Good stuff

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Hi All, Well I've just bought my Firestick and now have another question, please. Can I use it on a home TV first just to find out how it works and get used to it, and then having got it set up, plug it in the motorhome TV before we go away?
I presume it can be used in any TV, so this is probably a dumb question! :unsure:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Do you use the same internet/WiFi provider at home and in your Motorhome?
Usually users have a different WiFi setup at home to the Motorhome’s setup.
But that was before decent cellular data options 🤔😎

TL;DR you may have to connect the Fire TV Stick to the WiFi used in the Motorhome but other than that you can do a lot of setup at home before heading off 👍🏻

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Do you use the same internet/WiFi provider at home and in your Motorhome?
Usually users have a different WiFi setup at home to the Motorhome’s setup.
But that was before decent cellular data options 🤔😎

TL;DR you may have to connect the Fire TV Stick to the WiFi used in the Motorhome but other than that you can do a lot of setup at home before heading off 👍🏻
No we have an Avtex wifi system in the motorhome and Sky at home.

Aug 15, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
Sprinter conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi there, we have been using a fire stick in our camper van for 4 years now, using the data from our phones both here and in Europe. Tried a Wi-Fi unit fixed in the camper and no way was it any better than using an iPhone. We are with EE and when abroad pay an additional £10 for each month we are there to be able to use all our data with no cut off. Hope this helps in some way. 🚍🚍🚍

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Hi there, we have been using a fire stick in our camper van for 4 years now, using the data from our phones both here and in Europe. Tried a Wi-Fi unit fixed in the camper and no way was it any better than using an iPhone. We are with EE and when abroad pay an additional £10 for each month we are there to be able to use all our data with no cut off. Hope this helps in some way. 🚍🚍🚍
Interesting feedback.
A different result to mine :unsure:

Is it an EE sim in both devices?
Was your iPhone getting 5G & your Wifi router just 4G?
Were they located in the same place in the motorhome?

I often get different results at either end of the MH or low v high 🤷‍♂️ :LOL:

Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Interesting feedback.
A different result to mine :unsure:

Is it an EE sim in both devices?
Was your iPhone getting 5G & your Wifi router just 4G?
Were they located in the same place in the motorhome?

I often get different results at either end of the MH or low v high 🤷‍♂️ :LOL:
Works far better with an external antenna.
IMG_3587.jpeg

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We have two iPhones both on EE, and Wi-Fi with a roof mounted antenna and find often we need to use the Wi-Fi as is better signal than our phones.

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
Thank you for your information. Can you tell me how you connect your firestick to your telephone SIMs please. As we both have 25gb in our phone plans, that would work well for us in France but I dont know how to do it.
Thanks 👋

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Thank you for your information. Can you tell me how you connect your firestick to your telephone SIMs please. As we both have 25gb in our phone plans, that would work well for us in France but I dont know how to do it.
Thanks 👋
With your phone model you’ll get specific instructions. (y)

But in a nutshell, you need to tether your Fire stick via a personal hotspot created on your phone.

On an iPhone, Personal Hotspot is the 5th choice down in settings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back