Wifi Television and data usage when abroad (2 Viewers)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If you knew the difference between 720p 50Hz and 480p 60Hz, maybe you wouldn't be so eager to disregard other's efforts to contribute to the subject.

Whoopy doo for you, and as a Scot, I have no need to write to Steve Borthwick, demanding either a refund, nor an apology.

I suggest you read Rule No1 matey, cos you are close to breaking it.

Regards,

Jock.

Dec 30, 2019
Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner t700
Exp
Early 2019
We just want to be able to access films from Netflix and Amazon Video, not terrestrial channels. Are you able to do that with Popit, without a VPN? Tha
We just want to be able to access films from Netflix and Amazon Video, not terrestrial channels. Are you able to do that with Popit, without a VPN? Thank you.
Just an idea, have you thought about buying a large mem stick and downloading movies you want to watch before you leave, done this a few times and works well.

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Just looked at EE and there is still a 15GB fair use policy for data in the EU, even after you paid the extra, as far as I can see?
Don't forget contracts taken out before the changes are not subject to the roaming restrictions. Just used my Tesco unlimited in EU for 4 months with no problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
No need to post less, but just appreciate that someone might have gone to a bit of bother to find out some facts and figures, which if not any use to you, may well be of use to others. ;)

Having made the above checks/changes, I am currently monitoring data usage whilst catching up on UK News.
As an example, 3.5 x hours of live TV tonight whilst abroad, has used up 3.5Gb of data, so the trick of adjusting the Firestick resolution down to 480p (as described previously), has certainly worked. That 480p (SD) option just wasn't available through the normal display settings. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Normally if I did not understand a post I would politely ask for more information. Amazon Fire stick in the display menu has five options, Auto, 1040p at 60 HZ, 1040p at 50 HZ, 720p at 60 720p at 50. As the Fire stick is sold world wide it has these options. For UK its auto or 1040 @ 50 or 720 @ 50
the latter giving a lower quality picture but at a lower data use. Going even further the BBC having no adverts allows you to watch programs using less data wasted on adverts. If there are two programs at the same time watching the commercial one via our sat system, then catching up the BBC is better use of the available data. We are away in EU for 90 days. So I could explain what to do with the knitting needles but being polite will refrain from doing so. That is the sort of comment that discourages people to post.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Eh? 🤪 Wrong thread perchance? :giggle:

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Yes, but you are still viewing in HD, (High Definition), rather than the lowere data consuming 480p SD, (Standard Definition).

Ven, and Hugoman. A bit of research online guided me to advice re altering the resolution on a Firestick below the limited choices in the display settings.
Pressing the up button, and the rewind button simultaneously for a few seconds, brings up a menu which changes every 10 x seconds. When the resolution required appears on the screen, press OK to lock in your choice. In my case, I chose 480p 60Hz.

I also went into my iPlayer setings again, and sure enough, my choice of SD hadn't changed since adjusting the settings before leaving home, so I have to assume that it was the Firestick 720p resolution causing the extra data used, when viewing terestrial TV on Catchup. :(
Having made the above checks/changes, I am currently monitoring data usage whilst catching up on UK News. Initial data useage figures over the past hour and a quarter, are looking promising.

Cheers,

Jock. Thanks for this. I researched but did not find this gem.
My firestick is now at 480p. I'll not be watching ITVX again as it munched 5gb in just over 2 hours!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jock. Thanks for this. I researched but did not find this gem.
My firestick is now at 480p. I'll not be watching ITVX again as it munched 5gb in just over 2 hours!
No problem. I was just lucky to have found the guidance.

Re your 5Gb usage in just over 2 x hours, that was our problem with watching the Rugby last weekend, ie, it was on ITVX hence the data gobbled up. :mad:

Unlike my BBC iPlayer account, my ITVX account won't allow me to change the resolution, to one that suits our viewing/data usage requirements. :(

Cheers,

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Firestick below the limited choices in the display settings.
Pressing the up button, and the rewind button simultaneously for a few seconds, brings up a menu which changes every 10 x seconds. When the resolution required appears on the screen, press OK to lock in your choice. In my case, I chose 480p 60Hz.
Thanks for that, just checked it out and didn’t think it was going to work but then the choices suddenly came on screen, something I will changing when I’m touring eu and not getting my unlimited data.

OP
OP
AllesP
Dec 25, 2022
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail EKS
Exp
Since 1994
I like the idea of buying a local sim but I'm a but worried about having to set up a VPN on my Avtex motorhome wifi and how much extra that will cost in addition to the mobile data.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I like the idea of buying a local sim but I'm a but worried about having to set up a VPN on my Avtex motorhome wifi and how much extra that will cost in addition to the mobile data.
I’ve been looking at Surfshark and you can get that for around £1.90 a month if paying for 2 years ( some give an extra 3or 4 month)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I’ve been looking at Surfshark and you can get that for around £1.90 a month if paying for 2 years ( some give an extra 3or 4 month)
I was using Surfshark successfully at one time, whilst able to watch BBC programmes via their iPlayer, but they eventually blocked it.

I am now using Windscribe (paid for version) for much the same price as Surfshark, and have been able to access all UK TV Channels successfully when using foreign WiFi. (y)

HTH,

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Is this available now or is it a deal from before the change?
That I am not sure I've had it for over 3yrs now so out of contract but happy to continue with it.

Edit. Just done a check on EE and the Roam Abroad monthly extra is now showing £10 per month as and alternative to the £2 daily charge. States it gives you the same Data usage as if in UK and cancel anytime you dont need it. Longest I have done on the waterways was just under 3 months and was never restricted to 50Gb and not penalised for going over, so assume my 250Gb was being honoured.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
VPN was like anything else these days, download the app from the playstore, tick the box to say that you agree to anything and everything and let it sort itself out. Pretty easy.
But it really does depend how much internet you get through, if you're not going out of Europe, wouldnt the Popit sim be a logical next step for you

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back