MOT fail / big service repair bill (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
It’s very hard to see from the photo , but seeing how far the awning has moved I suspect the side might be twisted

If not, fit new awning, gaffer tape round the garage door and off we go 🤔👍

Then get mended later if we can find someone to do it 👍

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
It’s very hard to see from the photo , but seeing how far the awning has moved I suspect the side might be twisted

If not new awning, gaffer tape round the garage door and off we go 🤔👍

If it has moved the awning rail just make sure its not pulled the bracket bolts holding the rail to the side of the van .It may have pulled open the fastening holes. The awning needs to come off to check that. Best to check inside if you can see where the brackets bolt to on the inside.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

If not new awning, gaffer tape round the garage door and off we go 🤔👍

Don’t let the insurance know about this forum, if they read all the problems you’ve had with this van they might scrap it…😆😉

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I’d get a quote for repairs before you shell out for the mechanical repairs, if it needs a new side and work to rear wall from pictures you may be nearing uneconomic repair territory.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Oh bummer, feel for you.
Do you have legal advice cover on any of your policies ? I think you need legal advice to sort this out between Mertrux public liability and third party motor insurance without leaving you disadvantaged.

Mar 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Boxer
Exp
three years
Over the years every time I went to a main dealer I was ripped off and after many years of putting up with it because of loyalty and assuming that if you go to a main dealer you get everything done properly. Well you don't, main dealers are just fitters not mechanics, they are also dishonest. I take everything to my local garage who I know will do a proper job at a reasonable , honest price. It is so easy for them to say oh replace everything, that is what they are told to do, I doubt if they would know how to repair anything, they just plug it in and follow blindly what ever the diagnostic thingie says.

Nov 14, 2020
S.Yorks
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SP
Exp
20 yr
If this damage occurred whilst your van was in custody of a repairer, THEY are liable, and should be insured for such eventualities.
They were negligent in not storing your vehicle in a safe manner.

What if they claimed it was gone, and had been 'stolen'. This happened to my cousin, except he was the garage owner, and it was a scam. But he still wound up in court and forced to pay (large) for a replacement, even though he had not accepted the MH into his custody.

If you can prove that they accepted your van into their custody, you need to get a lawyer and reclaim the full value via courts.
_

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Looking closely at the awning, it has shunted forwards in it's brackets. The brackets bolt through the wall and are pretty substantial. However, the awning slides into the bracket and is then fixed in place by a few small self tapping screws into said brackets. I would say the mechanics of the impact were nearer to a side swipe, and this snapped the locking screws mentioned. Unless it is the electric version, removal of the damaged awning needs 2 fairly strong people on ladders to lift it from the brackets and lower to the floor

I mention this as there is likely no serious damage to the side of the van, but the awning is now not secured to the van and MIGHT bounce off if you hit a bump in the road. I think it would be a great idea to have mertrux help you to make the van safe. They could pull an empty trailer alongside your van and that would make removing it a doddle with 2 men stood on the back of the trailer. Would take 10 minutes and help rebuild their good customer relationship. It was after all down to their negligence parking your expensive motorhome in with commercial trailers etc

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
TheBig1

Good spot, pretty much summed it up perfectly , I took a mechanically minded friend with me to check it yesterday, we took a ladder

the self tappers which I think primarily stop it sliding forward or backwards are still in place but now all stuck at an angle and seem to have it well wedged in place

We were not able to move it and it can’t be lifted, but we will be very careful , it’s a 5 mile drive to MOT then 1 mile home

I am wary of removing anything prior to inspection if we can avoid it, after considering safety of course , we have plenty of photos 👍

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
This morning I am going down to collect our MH to drive straight for MOT, the retest option has timed out so will have another MOT by same place that failed it nearly a month ago

The only work now done is an A service and prop shaft coupling replaced , plus an oil seal where the prop shaft connects to the diff

I have been told the total bill is £1600, I had been told the service was £500, possibly plus VAT, I didn’t get a specific quote for the prop shaft coupling but didn’t expect that being more than £500 and maybe another £200 for the oil seal , so even adding VAT think it’s a few £100 high

I am wondering if they have added any cancellation of parts costs 🤔 staying open minded till I have seen the bill

I also intend to ask them to cover the cost of hiring a small MH for our three week trip we have taken every year in February / March except Covid years since we got a MH in 2011

If we can get a new awning and the rough bits on ours tidied up pre full repair, we will use ours, but if not then hiring is our only option, or not go

They might get lucky if my cancer treatment starts straight away we probably can’t go, but for now I just want them to know I am looking to them to cover the hire cost . I possibly could go to the other vehicles insurers but causing Mertrux some minor hassle seems fair and appropriate

In Bev’s own words, ‘if they hadn’t dicked around for the first week and not even started, this might never have happened’

Bev is taking me down to collect it, I doubt she will wait in the car 🤔 wish them luck 😁

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The week is starting off OK 👍

The bill was £1512.06

More than I would like to pay, but needs must , they chose to change 2 x propshaft couplings, ‘best practice’ apparently same bonkers justification given again today by service manager re changing all the exhaust, but he did come a bit clean on that saying if they damaged the DPF mountings changing the bit of exhaust attached to it, I might accuse them of damaging it’ 🤔 last time Mertrux will see it I reckon

IMG_1792.jpeg

IMG_1793.jpeg

MOT passed, same brake disc advisory, MOT man saying they should never be an MOT failure , he also added it only needed one coupling 🤔

Now retaxed, had to SORN it when still no MOT at end of Jan

I will continue my other thread ref bodywork repairs 👍

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2014
Littleborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
2015 for a year then a break. Now a newbie again!
Goodness me David, what a series of horrors.
I sincerely wish you well, particularly of course with the prostate.
Just reading through the thread, I hope you find the amount of support on here at least some comfort.
Best of luck.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
DavidG58 oh heck David I just thought I'd have a look what was happening to your van and found out all the things that have happened, glad the van has now passed its MOT now we need you to get the treatment you need and get quickly on the road to recovery. I do miss you on the M.T. and glad I spotted this thread I think you have had enough trauma for this year and hopefully the rest of it will see you on the road to recovery and able to use the Hymer and hopefully get to your not so secret Scottish Beach. :hugs:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
DavidG58 Is showing your full address with phone number on the invoice safe?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back