MOT fail / big service repair bill (2 Viewers)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Motorhome failed MOT 2 weeks ago, centre prop shaft bearing 🤔 ?

Booked in for service following week at Mertrux so rang them asked to add to job and get part ordered

Took down, got a call back to say they have found serious issues / work needed 🙁

Brake discs and pads, not surprised as noted on this and previous MOT I had told them if they looked bad to change them 👍

Whole exhaust system is hanging off and needs replacing all the brackets have failed 😳🙁

Brake pipes all showing heavy corrosion all need changing which means removing fuel tank 😳🙁

Track rod too much play on one side suggest changing both 🙄👍

Diff oil seal leaking but might as well change while prop shaft off for prop shaft bearing 👍

This is all by phone call, we are away visiting Bevs mum in hospital after having stroke 🙁🙏 so while he talked I was adding up in my head

I am not good at this bit 🙄 service was quoted at £500

I guessed £500 to add front discs

Thought maybe £1000 absolute max for exhaust

Brake pipes no idea

Propshaft guessed £200 no idea what that was based on though

So when he said quote was up to £6500 + VAT I nearly got into hospital bed with MIL 😳

So I asked him to give me a bit more breakdown

Turns out exhaust is over £3K for bits 😳 brake pipes fairly modest £1200 including fitting

Bev had said how she was looking forward to getting away it was what we needed with mum being poorly

I knew I had just moved sone money around ready for some work in the house and by chance alone had enough to cover this so agreed to go ahead as we wanted it back

I will continue in another post below it’s bringing tears to my eyes just retelling 🤔👍

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Really sorry to hear that David - both Bev's mum and the MOT. But yes sometimes you just have to bite the bullet however painful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: Les

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never rains just pours with your van David.

I take it that is Merc main dealer prices.
You could save a few grand shopping about a decent exhaust centre would be a lot cheaper, find a small garage to do the brake pipes, I don't see why they would need to drop the fuel tank, just re-route the pipes.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I would find an independant garage, I've just had similar. Took my VW T5 for an MOT at a different garage than my usual, it failed and they quoted £995. I took it to my old garage ,same work was £820. EuroTrotters will maybe tell you of his experience with Mertrux.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I rang Weds this week to check progress to find there are problems getting some of the parts, in particular the ‘expensive’ bit of the exhaust

I felt I had been told it all came as one piece and all needed changing , I am both technically useless and naive 🙄

So I asked to come down and have a look before they did any more

Saw MH from inspection pit, there is a lot of corrosion , top still looks lovely and had just been valeted , but it’s a 2005 sprinter chassis only registered in 2009 but nearly 20 years old

The exhaust is not hanging off 🤔🤬 I now have a much better understanding of how this fits 👍 the brackets hang in rubber mountings Which are all good. The exhaust itself has u shaped loops welded to the pipe. It is the welds that have failed, but the exhaust is still very secure sitting in the brackets , you only know it’s loose if you lift it 🤔

Mercedes say there is no way it could have passed an MOT, I ask why, it’s not blowing or in danger of falling off as I had thought from their description

Then I get to the expensive bit, DPF ? Very secure 🤔 why change that I ask

Merc service chap says its best to change everything

But this is working, stainless steel so no rust or rot and secure, with an obvious bolted connection behind it to connect the next section 🤔🙁

Return to office

I know I said get on with it but I am now not happy and do not want this DPF bit changing

But we have special ordered it

Well special cancel it, not needed , I do agree to change the two end sections which do look ready

A technician appears , ‘did you miss the hairline crack in the weld on the DPF bracket’

Yes, but I still don’t want it changing, I will get it welded, if it breaks and the DPF is still working

So now hoping for around £4K which oddly now sounds quite cheap 🤔😁

Hopefully 2 more years of trouble free motorhoming , not sure we can afford the diesel though

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Out of interest is it a pvc or a class.

A class but working underneath for once shouldn’t make much difference

IMG_1592.jpeg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Whole exhaust system is hanging off and needs replacing all the brackets have failed 😳🙁

Brake pipes all showing heavy corrosion all need changing which means removing fuel tank 😳🙁

Track rod too much play on one side suggest changing both 🙄
Funny, all these items are MOT fails yet no mention at time of MOT.
I would take it elsewhere to see what another garage says.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Funny, all these items are MOT fails yet no mention at time of MOT.
I would take it elsewhere to see what another garage says.

Trouble is it’s failed MOT now and will have no tax from Weds

Being unable to do things myself and despite my physical bulk I am quite a push over due to my lack of knowledge

In fairness Mertrux have served us very well over the years, resolving the Turbo issues at a very fair rate and generally we are happy with them , the older the van gets the less it seems good value though

Maybe more that now I am retired I can’t put the bill through my business 🤔😁

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Highlights the madness of just giving a main dealer to do whatever they think needs doing. An independent will charge half the price and only do what absolutely has to be done. Would have saved more than enough to get somebody to sort and treat the corrosion underneath

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
In the UK, as your vehicle is 2005, I wouldn't have thought the DPF was original fitting as the emission regulations didn't come into force until 2008.

You say it wasn't registered until 2009 though, was it in Germany or somewhere?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In the UK, as your vehicle is 2005, I wouldn't have thought the DPF was original fitting as the emission regulations didn't come into force until 2008.

You say it wasn't registered until 2009 though, was it in Germany or somewhere?

I only know the dates from the paperwork , chassis 05, built by Hymer 06 arrived U.K. 2007

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am just sharing, it’s not going to change our lives just caught me a bit below the belt

Thursday I had a biopsy which has confirmed I have Cancer 🤔

Friday cat curled up and died on the settee 🌈

But MIL now home and improving quickly 👍

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Similar with the exhaust on my merc Frankia, the mechanic mentioned that it would need replaced soon. It fell off on our next trip going along the N125 on the Algarve, was told of an exhaust shop so took it there, he fabricated the back section for €95. 😁

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I know you have a very different van than me but seriously I would be thinking of buying another for that sort of money, it would just finish me off paying that sort of money to a repair place.
All the stuff you mention , I have a family member to put it right for next to nothing.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
These people do not think of what is the easiest and cheapest solution.

I wonder if in these main dealers the workshop staff are on some sort of cut of the work they find 'necessary'?

My commercial garage boss thinks about the minimal worked needed, but won't hesitate to suggest changing/repairing something if it might cost more in the long run.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
The idiots at Mercedes Enza Trafford Park (now Estar (was Roanza))

Complete morons. Technician kept telling the receptionist that my exhaust was not a Mercedes factory one on my Frankia.

The result was damage to pipes and I had to order one from our local Mercedes Car Garage and fit it myself.
5E7E6775-730D-4A62-B30B-970680277B6C.jpeg
88169BB7-B5D3-44A0-8BF7-8C629A85B639.jpeg
5554D89F-2992-44C0-9EC1-EA6F1F5BB055.jpeg
C1F6783D-7859-42DC-8D9B-95E8AAE36B8A.jpeg
3ABB089F-D0ED-4D91-A801-C106D22413F0.jpeg

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I am just sharing, it’s not going to change our lives just caught me a bit below the belt

Thursday I had a biopsy which has confirmed I have Cancer 🤔

Friday cat curled up and died on the settee 🌈

But MIL now home and improving quickly 👍
I hope your year improves.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
The idiots at Mercedes Enza Trafford Park (now Estar (was Roanza))

Complete morons. Technician kept telling the receptionist that my exhaust was not a Mercedes factory one on my Frankia.

The result was damage to pipes and I had to order one from our local Mercedes Car Garage and fit it myself.
View attachment 859280View attachment 859281View attachment 859282View attachment 859283View attachment 859284
That's the bit that fell off mine Trev, it initially got jammed on the prop shaft and made a hell of a noise getting dragged along the road. I had to reverse to free it, I was on my own as Mrs bigtree had buggered off along the road on her motorbike to the next campsite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Yes, it's failed but only on one point.....the prop shaft bearing.
All the other alleged faults invented by the main dealer should also be listed on the failure sheet.....by law.
At the very least they should be advisories.

Failed MOT at our local MOT garage who have done the last 8 MOT’s on MH

They don’t do repairs

Then drove it to Mertrux for prebooked service and added prop shaft repair as the MOT failure item 👍

Jul 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
That's the bit that fell off mine Trev, it initially got jammed on the prop shaft and made a hell of a noise getting dragged along the road. I had to reverse to free it, I was on my own as Mrs bigtree had buggered off along the road on her motorbike.
The Joys of Mercedes ownership.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back