MOT fail / big service repair bill (1 Viewer)

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
I rang Weds this week to check progress to find there are problems getting some of the parts, in particular the ‘expensive’ bit of the exhaust

I felt I had been told it all came as one piece and all needed changing , I am both technically useless and naive 🙄

So I asked to come down and have a look before they did any more

Saw MH from inspection pit, there is a lot of corrosion , top still looks lovely and had just been valeted , but it’s a 2005 sprinter chassis only registered in 2009 but nearly 20 years old

The exhaust is not hanging off 🤔🤬 I now have a much better understanding of how this fits 👍 the brackets hang in rubber mountings Which are all good. The exhaust itself has u shaped loops welded to the pipe. It is the welds that have failed, but the exhaust is still very secure sitting in the brackets , you only know it’s loose if you lift it 🤔

Mercedes say there is no way it could have passed an MOT, I ask why, it’s not blowing or in danger of falling off as I had thought from their description

Then I get to the expensive bit, DPF ? Very secure 🤔 why change that I ask

Merc service chap says its best to change everything

But this is working, stainless steel so no rust or rot and secure, with an obvious bolted connection behind it to connect the next section 🤔🙁

Return to office

I know I said get on with it but I am now not happy and do not want this DPF bit changing

But we have special ordered it

Well special cancel it, not needed , I do agree to change the two end sections which do look ready

A technician appears , ‘did you miss the hairline crack in the weld on the DPF bracket’

Yes, but I still don’t want it changing, I will get it welded, if it breaks and the DPF is still working

So now hoping for around £4K which oddly now sounds quite cheap 🤔😁

Hopefully 2 more years of trouble free motorhoming , not sure we can afford the diesel though
It’s a good thing you checked it and shocking that they were pulling a fast one - as you say the bits that need welding can just be done no need to replace all of it.

I had a garage once charge me for all kinds of bits and pieces till a friend went under my bonnet to check and discovered the extras hadn’t been done at all !!
He taught me if they say something needs changing ask to see yourself and then ask for old part they have changed then you know they really either “needed to do it or did actually do it” .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
It’s a good thing you checked it and shocking that they were pulling a fast one - as you say the bits that need welding can just be done no need to replace all of it.

I had a garage once charge me for all kinds of bits and pieces till a friend went under my bonnet to check and discovered the extras hadn’t been done at all !!
He taught me if they say something needs changing ask to see yourself and then ask for old part they have changed then you know they really either “needed to do it or did actually do it” .
My regular garage always take me in the workshop and show me the parts they have replaced
Chasnam

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I had a garage once charge me for all kinds of bits and pieces till a friend went under my bonnet to check and discovered the extras hadn’t been done at all !
Had that when I sold my car once.
Just coming out of warranty put it in Land Rover main dealers full service and check over, they came back with a long list of stuff probably £3-4K worth and said all under warranty.
New buyer wanted it checked before purchasing so put it back in the same garage and they picked up all the same stuff😳when I ripped into them they said it seemed they had forgot to do the work🤬🤬🤬 would never buy or go to them again.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Quick update, our motorhome now has new front discs and pads, track rod ends, exhaust tail pipe and unexpectedly both front calipers which were seized on one side

The extra bits added £300 to my expected bill, but has still come in under £1000, saving around £2.5K on Mertrux pricing, probably another £1000 if they had done the calipers as well

Today we have been out shopping on our 43rd wedding anniversary spending our savings 😁 new clothes and coats ready for our fortnight away starting on Saturday

Not quite as planned but given the events of the past few weeks we are so pleased to be getting away in our MH

The only outstanding job is brake pipes, MOT garage say not critical yet, but will have a look at them later in the year 👍

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Had that when I sold my car once.
Just coming out of warranty put it in Land Rover main dealers full service and check over, they came back with a long list of stuff probably £3-4K worth and said all under warranty.
New buyer wanted it checked before purchasing so put it back in the same garage and they picked up all the same stuff😳when I ripped into them they said it seemed they had forgot to do the work🤬🤬🤬 would never buy or go to them again.
Landrover dealers seem to be professional at doing that nationwide 🙁

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
our 43rd wedding anniversary