22 model Adria Twin Supreme 640 SLB new owner review (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
The Fiat Professional checked the memory today but no faults or occurrences found. They did say if the engine had been started a couple of times it was unlikely to save that information anyway, how rubbish is that. ☹️ All working fine, we think, won’t know unless it failed I suppose but the lane departure warning is definitely working as it shouldnow.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Just a quick update with some work I’ve now completed since our trip away. I may have mentioned we trialed a bag holder waste bin with a lid making a new support for it below the pull up workspace extension.

We liked the set up on holiday for the 6 weeks but the temporary support bar I made now needed fixing solid and colouring to blend in. I screwed it in with connection blocks, making sure that the 2 screws went into the upright to stop it twisting with the bag weight, and covered it in a carbon vinyl wrap. With it being a bag I can still access the plug socket I had the dealer fit too. I’m pleased with the job. Didn’t have the paint then and I think the wrap will be better for scratches.

F82A0474-CFD3-4AD1-AC68-F79DDADC6D78.jpeg
0B8095DE-DEB4-44A2-BDBA-AF9EBCB96FBC.jpeg

Then there was the vent to the Truma boiler fitted under the dinette seat. It was made of a fairly mid brown plastic and stood out like a sore thumb against the grey woodwork and spoiled the beautiful whole colour scheme of the van. I presume they don’t make other colours so decided to find a suitable paint and paint it grey. I couldn’t have got a better match and whilst it was a bit fiddly to paint with the angled vents we think it looks great and no longer sticks out in a bad way when you open the side door.

04168B49-B3D0-410B-9A51-1E318D8E1D52.jpeg

You can see the extension lead I have fixed in from the second socket I had the dealer fit. It was in a great place but with the table awkward to access without getting on your knees. This is much better 😊 You wouldn’t believe I could not source on the internet a left side entry extension socket so had to use one I already had and cut the lead right back.

No more jobs to do at the moment that we discovered from using it for the 6 weeks. I had one to do but can’t seem to find clear vinyl wrap to put on the internal door into the garage to prevent scratching, I got some for headlights but it is not adhesive and fixes with water contact ☹️ and I don’t want to change the colour. My mistake on not reading the blurb properly as I was ordering things whilst away ready for getting home.

Anyone any ideas please let me know.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Hey Roy. Don’t know if the ratchet arrangement where to slide the table from one side to the other you have to lift it at an angle, a pain if you have anything on the table. I removed both the plastic ratchet fittings (actually one fell off by itself) on the table rails and the table slides smoothly when you want it but not when traveling.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Hey Roy. Don’t know if the ratchet arrangement where to slide the table from one side to the other you have to lift it at an angle, a pain if you have anything on the table. I removed both the plastic ratchet fittings (actually one fell off by itself) on the table rails and the table slides smoothly when you want it but not when traveling.
That’s a good idea Andy, yes it is a pain. Another thing for the table which an elderly family member, who has memory illness, spotted was the gap between the top & the swivel to store our 4 large table mats which were on the dinette seat at the time 😊 We don’t use a tablecloth in this van, but they sometimes slide out too when driving and moving the table.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Finally found some matt clear, but very slightly frosted, vinyl wrap at Vinylwarehouse so got sufficient to do the door with and finished the job today. The vinyl was cheap enough but the standard delivery charge was high by comparison ☹️. It’s very good too, you can hardly see it is there with the naked eye and it will now stop that door from getting scratched as we push things through into the garage or reach in and drag things out😊

147A52B0-03C4-4659-AB02-DCE34E51EC8A.jpeg

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Interesting and informative reviews. I'm going to study them in more detail. We have the same van on order but will be a 2023, hopefully arriving June next year. It looks as if there have been no major changes from the 2022. I was wondering how you found the door from the habitation area to the garage as shown on post 96? When we looked at a van at Birmingham, it seemed to me that it might be better if the door opened into the living area rather than into the garage? We store most of our garage stuff in plastic lidded crates so may need to rethink a little. I may have a go at changing the hinges so the door opens inward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks Soycd, if you read the post 73 you will see how I have developed using it. If you were to have it hinged into the habitation area then you wouldn’t be able to access the bed or open the doors either side or access the storage space under the step without having to close the door.

As I use it I find it a bonus for us and it also increases the flat storage space to put such as the larger washing up bowl on etc which would otherwise have to live in the bathroom.

I’m sure once you read all the thread you will see where I am coming from. We are learning with using the van all the time, I’m guessing by the end of next year with a couple of trips abroad under our belt we will have it sorted, for us 😊

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Thanks Soycd, if you read the post 73 you will see how I have developed using it. If you were to have it hinged into the habitation area then you wouldn’t be able to access the bed or open the doors either side or access the storage space under the step without having to close the door.

As I use it I find it a bonus for us and it also increases the flat storage space to put such as the larger washing up bowl on etc which would otherwise have to live in the bathroom.

I’m sure once you read all the thread you will see where I am coming from. We are learning with using the van all the time, I’m guessing by the end of next year with a couple of trips abroad under our belt we will have it sorted, for us 😊
Brilliant, thanks Roy, I'll look forward to further updates. We currently have a 6 metre PVC and we are looking forward to not having to clamber over each other in the night!

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Roy. How doe you fair in terms of payload? MIRO seems to be 2910Kg but I'm taking that with a pinch of salt. I see you have a bike rack and 2 bikes (not electric?) on the back. Any issues? We will probably go the rack below for ours as we will hopefully switch to e-bikes at some stage. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Soycd Payload is a bit of a problem really. We’ve downsized from a van where we could take anything we ever wanted and as I get weighed every time I set off abroad I know my weights pretty well over the past 10 years. So we used to take loads and didn’t really need to.

I’ve not actually weighed the new van empty so I don’t know what my payload is but I have every conceivable extra on the van apart from the large fridge, we wanted the wardrobe.

Now we have to be really careful to ensure we are legal. I no longer travel with a full tank of water (100kg) and have looked carefully at everything we normally included as we don’t really need 2 tables and 4 chairs as an example, outdoor carpets galore, sun blockers, tools, lots of food etc etc. The weight can be trimmed. So far so good but our first 2 month trip to EU will be a test I think.

I think I could up-rate to around 3650kg without any alterations, even on our standard chassis, I’m pretty sure it was a free option. If I did that I wouldn’t have to think about what I take again.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Soycd , I have the same van. When fully loaded for travel, so 2 adults, dog, food, 3/4 tank fuel, gas and water, clothes, folding bikes, chairs etc we were bang on 3500. I normally run on full fresh and empty grey.

For the hatch to the garage I have to clipped open all the time and have the space covered by a piece of grey fabric so we can easily lift it to reach through to the cupboards in the garage.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Soycd Payload is a bit of a problem really. We’ve downsized from a van where we could take anything we ever wanted and as I get weighed every time I set off abroad I know my weights pretty well over the past 10 years. So we used to take loads and didn’t really need to.

I’ve not actually weighed the new van empty so I don’t know what my payload is but I have every conceivable extra on the van apart from the large fridge, we wanted the wardrobe.

Now we have to be really careful to ensure we are legal. I no longer travel with a full tank of water (100kg) and have looked carefully at everything we normally included as we don’t really need 2 tables and 4 chairs as an example, outdoor carpets galore, sun blockers, tools, lots of food etc etc. The weight can be trimmed. So far so good but our first 2 month trip to EU will be a test I think.

I think I could up-rate to around 3650kg without any alterations, even on our standard chassis, I’m pretty sure it was a free option. If I did that I wouldn’t have to think about what I take again.
Thanks Roy, very informative as usual. We too had to cut down a lot when we changed from a larger motorhome to a PVC. At the moment we have a standard Fiamma bike rack and carry 2 bikes (non electric) I'm thinking of uprating possibly, as the move to electric bikes might tip the balance.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Soycd , I have the same van. When fully loaded for travel, so 2 adults, dog, food, 3/4 tank fuel, gas and water, clothes, folding bikes, chairs etc we were bang on 3500. I normally run on full fresh and empty grey.

For the hatch to the garage I have to clipped open all the time and have the space covered by a piece of grey fabric so we can easily lift it to reach through to the cupboards in the garage.
Thanks Andy, very useful information. Have you also thought of uprating?

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Not really. Did my last van and it was simple enough and did save on tax. There are advantages in keeping to 3500 so on the round I’m not updating this one.

i don’t need any more weight limit, just encourage me to use it. If I’m over limit it would not be by much, be within the error margin and well within the 150kg I would get by uprating. I’d only be overweight if carrying full fresh water so can dump that at the side of the road and carry on. Yes I risk a fine.

I would say don’t worry about it now, get the van, load it up and weigh it and decide then.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
We’ve got a 2019 640SLB and I think as long as its the 2 of us and we treat it as a campervan and not a mobile home, we’re fine

I believe MIRO includes diesel so working off a rough 500kg payload and assuming 2 adults at 150kg total, that leaves 350kg for water and clothes, food, non-electric bikes etc…. More than enough, although electric bikes would make that calculation harder I agree.
We fit bikes in the garage so saving another few Kg not having to fit a bike rack

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
We’ve got a 2019 640SLB and I think as long as its the 2 of us and we treat it as a campervan and not a mobile home, we’re fine

I believe MIRO includes diesel so working off a rough 500kg payload and assuming 2 adults at 150kg total, that leaves 350kg for water and clothes, food, non-electric bikes etc…. More than enough, although electric bikes would make that calculation harder I agree.
We fit bikes in the garage so saving another few Kg not having to fit a bike rack

PS edit….MIRO includes diesel and driver so 425kg left assuming 3,000 kg after factory fitted extras and allowing for one passenger 👍

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Liked this review the van in silver looks good Adria are well made motorhomes I have the silver Adria Matrix 670sl van love it but just a bit big for myself now , so looking to downsize to a campervan hopefully another Adria but they are so popular and well made you don't always get them up for sale , enjoy your travels .

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Roy, Andy or anyone else with this van, I wonder if you could help? In terms of heating, are gas crash sensor regulators & anti rupture hoses fitted to the van? I'd like to have the option of having the heating on when we are driving in the winter. We currently have a Webasto diesel heater in our Challenger Vany and wanted to get the same for the new van. Whilst Adria do diesel heating for some models, it's not available for the 640 SLB. Thanks.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
are gas crash sensor regulators & anti rupture hoses fitted to the van
Yes. Never thought of driving with heating on, no idea how safe that is. The SGX has diesel heating I believe.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Yes. Never thought of driving with heating on, no idea how safe that is. The SGX has diesel heating I believe.
Thanks Andy. As long as you have the crash sensor its fine. It will cut the gas off if you have a bump. Our previous Sunlight motorhome had one fitted. With the Webasto diesel heating we normally have it set low so it will come on if temperature drops whilst we are travelling. With LPG on previous van we would usually stick it on about an hour before we stopped for night just to get the hab area warm. We were living in Germany at the time and did a lot more winter weekends than we do now and it was very cold!

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Roy, Andy or anyone else with this van, I wonder if you could help? In terms of heating, are gas crash sensor regulators & anti rupture hoses fitted to the van? I'd like to have the option of having the heating on when we are driving in the winter. We currently have a Webasto diesel heater in our Challenger Vany and wanted to get the same for the new van. Whilst Adria do diesel heating for some models, it's not available for the 640 SLB. Thanks.
Soycd Adria fit the van with a Truma crash prepared regulator but they do not supply the pigtail. They do suply a plastic special spanner to fit the pigtail at the correct torque.

My dealer fitted a 500mm pigtail, but not the one with a crash sensor, at no cost to me.

My friends dealer, Wanderhomes, did not fit anything.

We us 6kg bottles and the 500mm pigtail won’t fit both bottles in situ, only the one furthest in the locker on the 640 SLB. It may fit the two taller 11kg bottles?.

So I replaced it with a 750mm pigtail that will fit both bottles. I don’t think the Truma crash safe pigtail is available in anything but the shorter length so would be of no use for my needs. However I don’t find the need to have the heating on when driving this winter.

Because of the size of the locker I feel it is much better to have the hand tightening wheel pigtail rather than using a spanner.

We find the van very warm so suspect the insulation, and heating system, is much better than my previous Bessacarr Coachbuilt.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Soycd Adria fit the van with a Truma crash prepared regulator but they do not supply the pigtail. They do suply a plastic special spanner to fit the pigtail at the correct torque.

My dealer fitted a 500mm pigtail, but not the one with a crash sensor, at no cost to me.

My friends dealer, Wanderhomes, did not fit anything.

We us 6kg bottles and the 500mm pigtail won’t fit both bottles in situ, only the one furthest in the locker on the 640 SLB. It may fit the two taller 11kg bottles?.

So I replaced it with a 750mm pigtail that will fit both bottles. I don’t think the Truma crash safe pigtail is available in anything but the shorter length so would be of no use for my needs. However I don’t find the need to have the heating on when driving this winter.

Because of the size of the locker I feel it is much better to have the hand tightening wheel pigtail rather than using a spanner.

We find the van very warm so suspect the insulation, and heating system, is much better than my previous Bessacarr Coachbuilt.
Thanks Roy. I’m pleased to hear the insulation is good and that Adria fit the sensor. Longer term I’ll maybe get a LPG tank fitted under the van so I don’t have the hassle of dealing with gas bottles.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
My dealer now has my door screen metal plate fix.

Just a quick update re thermal screens marking the bonnet.

I have a long length thermal screen that I have been using these past few weeks in the frosts. It is a few years old and well used with our old van so today I was surprised when I took it off to see some marks on the bonnet. Never had any with my previous model Ducato. The marks were right on the ridge corner of this new style bonnet above the headlight. The design before was all smooth & curved, now it is a definite ridge corner. Managed to polish them out but wasn’t happy. May use the short screens in future and put up with any breeze through the vents. Although we only used them for 2 nights at the end of September at Holmfirth last year. The verticals lift internal blinds were good For keeping the light out.

A mate gave me a tip for a tool box, an adapted screen wash 5l bottle. It fits perfectly in that bottom locker of the garage where I’ve stored my jack in a canvas bag. It’s as if the space was made for it and the handle makes it easy to pull out.

3407682A-1D61-4ED7-8F37-426149D7F9D4.jpeg

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
A visit to the dealers today to get some problems sorted, hopefully. I briefly list the issues and what they’ve done.

My new 2022 Adria control panel was not switching on and off as it should. Sometimes I had to press the on button for 30 seconds to get it to boot up and for 10 to make it switch off, and nothing was consistent. Updated the software today and it appears it may have resolved it, however I can now also switch it on by pressing the big control knob. No manual for it so hard to know what is supposed to happen but at least I’ve always got it to work.

The Adria Mach control system, used via an App, has always worked all the Adria controls for everything electrical. But it should, but does not, talk to the Truma heating control. Still does not work and awaiting more from Adria. Thankfully the Truma control works fine on its own and iNet is no longer available.

The integral waste tank valve is operated via a lever and cables. There is a design problem with the mechanism being too flexible under strain and my valve ended up in the open position, thankfully, and no longer working. Adria are working on a fix but I’ve had a manual tap fitted to the end if the pipe now.

Flyscreen door fixed with the metal plate.

Still have the big roof light to replace as it arrived flooded with condensation, should have been here but it hasn’t arrived.

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
Thanks for the update Roy, seems to be a few teething problems, hope they all get sorted. I was a bit concerned that we ordered our Twin 640 from a dealer many miles away from us, but discovered that a local motorhome service place that I have used for work in the past is in fact an Adria approved service centre.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
The integral waste tank valve is operated via a lever and cables. There is a design problem with the mechanism being too flexible under strain and my valve ended up in the open position, thankfully, and no longer working. Adria are working on a fix but I’ve had a manual tap fitted to the end if the pipe now
We have the same cable operated valve on our Compact. It is currently working ok but it feels a bit fragile. I would be interested to see which manual tap you had fitted.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
We have the same cable operated valve on our Compact. It is currently working ok but it feels a bit fragile. I would be interested to see which manual tap you had fitted.
Hi ontheroadagain I was concerned about adding a tap would make the output very low for getting a bucket under but the technician removed the curved end of the pipe and fitted the tap where that was. I don’t think the overall height is any lower as a result of doing it that way.

I asked the after sales manager to explain how it all worked so I could better understand it and it appears the original valve is an integrated part of the waste tank and the cable mechanism goes to a part that connects into it, hence when the support flexes the connection comes out and won’t turn the valve.

I did ask if it were to jam closed could 2 people likely get it free by one operating the cables with the other under the van pressing the connection back into the valve. He said possibly. You can see the cables and support just to the left if the tap

80C5696B-15A6-4CD7-A171-B9773B6AB195.jpeg
I was opposed to a tap at first but now think this is a much simpler and safer option. It’s a standard Motorhome waste tap, I think they’re about £10 on eBay 😜

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back