22 model Adria Twin Supreme 640 SLB new owner review (1 Viewer)

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Following on from the delivery delays thread started by dash300 I said I would do a review of my new arrival in a separate thread and highlight some of the latest changes, so here goes.

We collected our new 22 model Adria Twin Supreme 640 SLB a week last Monday, Britains hottest day on record, from the dealer, Peter Roberts Caravans & Motorhomes of Huddersfield. HERE I must say as a new customer to this dealer I have been impressed with their attitude to customer service since day one back in March 2021 and Andy Roberts, in particular, has helped us through the challenging and disappointing times the delays have brought us. Especially since we sold our old Bessacarr in March 2021 too before ordering this one.

The van finally arrived in the metallic silver we originally ordered, and it looks absolutely beautiful. We have received the 2021 new anniversary release base vehicle, a Fiat Ducato, with the new 2.2 engine and 9 speed automatic gearbox. I chose the 140 bhp version and whilst my driving style will be happy with this power level I am sure the larger output engines would prove more enjoyable to drive, at a price of course.

We also got additional safety features, such as traction control, hill descent control, lane safety warning, emergency breaking, which I have not visited yet, an updated dashboard and front end, new 16” alloy wheels, a wireless phone charging shelf and an electric parking brake system. The latter is not the same as my Skoda car, fully automatic but I believe it is semi automatic and you also are instructed to apply/release the brake before/After engaging the P.

As a new automatic driver I am not sure if some of the times the vehicle was held was due to the creep of the vehicle itself when resting on an incline. It certainly did not automatically hold me on a decline in a queue of traffic at a roundabout like I was expecting it to.

The dashboard is the analogue 2 dials with a central 3.5” LED screen giving information but I am unable to get it to show me the odometer readings, but it is early days. I have cruise control and speed limiter. Road speed information and warning if exceeding and this is as far as I’ve got. It came with a quick guide which was pretty useless, and I had to download the full manual. I’m sure I will get there with all the bits and bobs with the passage of time.

It didn’t have LED headlights or running lights, the large strobe indicators I was hoping for in particular so as to be more readily seen or the smart rear view mirror. It did have the latest Uconnect 7” infotainment centre which comes with Apple or android connectivity but no independent sat navigation system, which I’m pleased about really. Also the air conditioning was the older cab version and not the intended climate control.

I have been impressed so far with the almost indistinguishable gear change of the new auto box and the relatively comfortable drive of the new chassis/suspension. I previously had the Maxi chassis and over 3.5t on a coach built vehicle.The auto stop start system worked well too.

Some of the immediately noticeable points are the vertical lift cab screen blind, it means I cannot see any of the bonnet from my driving position and also there is a lot of glass at the bottom that I cannot access with a hand, which I felt was lost space for the required screen stickers that I shall have to get. The one piece side window cab blinds also feel a little flimsy as their full open side is not held in any frame. The top of the windscreen has a very large black box which houses all the cameras etc and I keep looking up at it thinking it is an internal smart mirror. This does mean there is a good place for the dash camera adjacent the box.

The habitation side of things are really positive. It has a feel of luxury about it and the greys and onyx colours blend well together. It appears well constructed and thought out with expensive fittings. The clever folding door in the bathroom is a real bonus for when we use the shower. Having downsized from a much larger interior we knew things would be difficult to get used to but having just had three nights away to read all the books and try to understand all the controls we are feeling we have definitely made the right decision. Yes we cannot pass each other in the not so long central corridor but we are impressed with the light and airy feel to the dinette, a thing we disliked in other PVC’s. Yes the wall mounted TV is a bit closer and higher than we have been used to but we can actually sit quite comfortable in the cab seats and watch it.

The oven and grill both work and we tested them both, with the hob, by having a toasted sandwich for lunch followed by a beef & 4 veg dinner, albeit the roast beef was reheated in the oven rather than cooked from scratch. We didn’t miss the microwave but did miss the larger washing up bowl and work surfaces. Despite this we washed all the pots in the van over the 3 days and the hot water was very hot indeed. The heating system of the Truma Combi E proved good and effective but I would have preferred more control over the fan settings having only got eco and high. We did have a pretty effectivevent cooling system though which could be used by turning the heating and hot water systems off. The electronic thermostat and heating timer was very good.

We chose the 84L fridge with small freezer compartment over the larger 153L option as with the latter you got no hanging wardrobe space and for our camping lifestyle this was a choice we wanted. Yes it did seem small but the compressor fridge was very efficient, quiet and very effective. So much so I was very impressed and the fridge was very cold all the time.

The 2 leisure batteries and vehicle battery seem to be well cared for with the B2B system and standard optional solar panel and when on EHU they both charged well. The Trauma and Adria Mach control system, which came as standard on this van, was both new to us and took some getting used to. Unfortunately the Adria books were for the previous model’s fittings so there were no instructions. The Adria Mach worked well on their App which was easier to control than the control panel. It is a pity the two control panels are not integrated into the one App despite looking as though they are.

The beds I thought were excellent although Sharon would have preferred her side to have been a little bit longer like mine. I thought the mattresses were excellent quality and gave me a good night’s sleep. I was impressed with all the window blinds which let very little light in around the edges and the insulation appears to be very good.

The below the bed garage space is excellent really for a vehicle this size, 6.36m, but I did bang my head a number oftimes having been used to a much larger one that I could physically climb inside even when fully loaded. There are 2 storage cupboards/shelves behind the gas locker which hide a very large amount of space which has come in very useful and we managed to get almost everything in from the Bessacarreven if it was harder to access items individually without moving something else.

I had borrowed an Altera Strada DL3 bike rack to test on the tow bar the dealer had fitted but I have to drop the ball hook to the lower sockets, and/or add a spacer to be able to fully open the rear doors. That will get resolved tomorrow at my local towing shop.

The Phantom Sentinel S7 alarm & tracker the dealer had fitted appears to be a good system and the customer service from them has been impressive so far. All worked from an App which gives lots of useful information and I can even let others track where I am, such as family etc, if I choose to. Andy Roberts put me in contact with a Fiat Professional dealer to provide the 5 year extended warranty too, at a cost of £866.66, which I decided to take out.

The soft close side door, enhanced by the electrically assisted closing, is fantastic. No woosh bang for us and I am pleased we finally decided to have that rather expensive option to save all the moaners and groaners from tutting at us.

Problems encountered so far are few but I will list them for completeness. The oven & grill igniter is hit and miss so on occasions we had to resort to lighting it with a gas lighter. The Adria Mach control panel seems a little sensitive, I awoke this morning to find the water pump off and couldn’t get it on again at the panel. I did manage to do it with ease via the App, and later did it from the panel too, so am not sure if it is actually user error or not. The large side door flyscreen came out of it’s footing on day 1 of camping. Not sure if Sharon was a bit heavy handed or not but I fixed it and the dealer has ordered the Adria metal fix for this problem.

The day after handover we had the van ceramic coated by Supremecoat UK at their new premises in Dronfield, Derbyshire. Supremecoat UK I invested in this expensive extra in the hope it makes life much easier taking care of our new pride and joy. It looked fantastic on day one and still looks good now. I can wash it now after 7 days and will soon place a review of the process I encountered.

For any Funster interested I have been given a £150 discount code that I can give to fellow Motorhomefun members that they can use off the full price as listed on their website.

Well its late in the day now so I am going to close and add some photos before retiring for the night after a very busy 4 days putting it through it’s paces. Sharon has named him Addy and for those who use Instagram you can follow our travels, as we have done before with Bessie the Bessacarr, under the username of RKT_640.

Regards, Roy & Sharon

90C912E8-D367-40C2-95C5-ECD01928A16C.jpeg
F651892A-CFEC-46E5-870E-B42A92BB3E2B.jpeg
EF543FEC-C685-4059-A0A1-ED2C16ADFB0D.jpeg
0CE8CDB2-3D84-410F-B0E1-C75EC56C24D0.jpeg

Attachments

• B71DBBDE-B447-4382-93F0-3B76E1DD178B.jpeg
    B71DBBDE-B447-4382-93F0-3B76E1DD178B.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 1,395
  • C876CD9E-8C3C-40A8-BFE5-B32E874AF1F3.jpeg
    C876CD9E-8C3C-40A8-BFE5-B32E874AF1F3.jpeg
    294.3 KB · Views: 1,451
  • A0E27237-BA2D-4BA6-B9E3-99794AC2F0BC.jpeg
    A0E27237-BA2D-4BA6-B9E3-99794AC2F0BC.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 1,467
  • FD41357A-8738-4574-B393-228FA8C378A2.jpeg
    FD41357A-8738-4574-B393-228FA8C378A2.jpeg
    467.2 KB · Views: 1,450
  • 509BF35F-6C6F-4FD5-81A4-3199769097FA.jpeg
    509BF35F-6C6F-4FD5-81A4-3199769097FA.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 1,417
  • CA8E4019-3257-4373-BEA2-91B9699B71CA.jpeg
    CA8E4019-3257-4373-BEA2-91B9699B71CA.jpeg
    387.8 KB · Views: 1,454
  • D6F8C0E5-7FC1-415A-98E8-F5112A54E82B.jpeg
    D6F8C0E5-7FC1-415A-98E8-F5112A54E82B.jpeg
    571 KB · Views: 1,486
  • 8A07D819-ECCF-4B47-9370-425FD4D78406.jpeg
    8A07D819-ECCF-4B47-9370-425FD4D78406.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,499
Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Thanks for the comprehensive review Roy. The lack of rear roll back on the electronic brake is dissappointing as that is one of the most useful features for me, I wonder if it needs adjusting. I don't have the roll forward braking on the Volvo but the rear roll back is extremely useful. Did you get any refund of any missing upgrades like LED lights and digital dash? Also how do you find the ride on the Michelin Camper tyres? (y)

Mar 29, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Have followed your posts around the delays receiving your van and really happy for you that you've got yours. We have an Adria 600SPB (working from it at the moment) and we love our van. Its a great review and i've smacked my head in the garage a few time too, especially when going in through the living area :). Great review though.

We've been around Scotland, round The Lakes and down to the South Coast and it is just so easy living in the Twin.

We initially went to Peter Roberts and they were great to deal with when we started looking at a PVC. Pulled out all the stops to let us view a twin in their showroom.

We ended up at Signature MH in Preston and dropped lucky in that they had the van spec and colour we wanted in stock as their demo vehicle, so we went to look, put down a deposit and picked it up a few months later.

We went to Peter Roberts after you in March and we would have been a September order so probably would have been waiting till next year if we had ordered from them, so we really did drop lucky.

Think it affects all Ducato's but just watch out for an engine warning light coming on around 2000 miles. Fiat might have sorted on the newer vans but it relates to a DPF filter sensor and a Fiat main dealer can replace the part under warranty.

Look forward to your future posts as you travel about.

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
I hope you both enjoy your new van for many years to come.
It looks amazing. We have owned our Adria Compact for 6 months now and are very happy with it.
The build quality is very good and looking at your photos we appear to have a lot of similar components (fridge etc.)
The new one piece cab door blinds work well, but with the short arm mirrors the bottom wide angle mirror on the passenger side is blocked from view, which is a bit of a design flaw. We have the same compressor fridge which has been great.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for a comprehensive review! (y)

Interesting to hear all the positive observations, and the one or two minor niggles. Good that you've managed to fit in nearly all your 'stuff' from your coachbuilt. We went through the process six years ago, without any serious issues.

With all of the extra goodies you've chosen, it sounds like, all in all, a BIG investment.

Enjoy your new van and hope it's been worth waiting for.:giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 31, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Camping since 1995, VW van (2009), MH (2015), PVC from 2022.
The dashboard is the analogue 2 dials with a central 3.5” LED screen giving information but I am unable to get it to show me the odometer readings, but it is early days.
Hi
it looks like we’ve got similar steering wheel controls on our six month old van. On the left-hand spoke, there are four direction buttons (arrows) and a central button labelled OK. Recently, I found out that these control a few more display functions - including Trip A and Trip B. I attach some photos.

The right-hand arrow skips through the functions, e.g: Home, Trip, Vehicle Setup, Audio, Nav ….
The up-down arrows toggle between Trip A and Trip B.
The left-hand arrow exits from the different screen options.

We are still finding out ….

I hope that makes sense!

Please excuse the dusty dashboard!

B12AB836-E54B-43AE-A950-5B8F17ECC94D.jpeg
A07070EE-BCED-4744-940F-D718BFC118A7.jpeg
3111BD08-2677-4207-A5C4-75D59F2BB1A2.jpeg

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
dealer has ordered the Adria metal fix for this problem.
Glad you’re enjoying it after waiting all this time.

Re the metal fix, can you let me know how this turns out, with part no if possible. Lost count how many times it’s popped out on mine. I found silicone spray on the runner helps as well as holding it only where indicated. A good dousing of silicone spray on the washroom door runner, top and bottom, helps if it’s also a little sticky.

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks for the comprehensive review Roy. The lack of rear roll back on the electronic brake is dissappointing as that is one of the most useful features for me, I wonder if it needs adjusting. I don't have the roll forward braking on the Volvo but the rear roll back is extremely useful. Did you get any refund of any missing upgrades like LED lights and digital dash? Also how do you find the ride on the Michelin Camper tyres? (y)
I think it does have the roll back but as I said it didn’t hold me rolling forwards. My car has it all ways. I’ll have to test it all really. The stop start was working a lot today with application of the foot brake and as soon as I lift it it starts.

No refunds Re any missing things, as I recall at the time whilst the Fiat launch suggested it had all those things they never actually said it would and later said they wouldn’t ☹️

Im only used to Continentals and used the pressures for each axle weight. Instead of 5.5 bar all round I’ve dropped the front to 4.5bar which I understand Michelin say is okay. The ride feels pretty good really.

Got the Brink (Thule) towbar sorted today for the Altera Strada DL3 rack. Dropped the ball to the lower holes & placed a 12mm spacer on it. Clears the doors a treat now so rack ordered. The ride into Hull and then around the streets of Hessle Road and Hessle was a doddle in the smaller and narrower van so that was pleasing.

One thing I forgot to mention before is the bottom section of the near side mirror is almost unusable as I cannot see probably 80%of it due to tge blinds framework, makes it hard for getting the rear axle on the drive properly in our tiny cul de sac

I’ve been trying the Adria control panel on and off today and it works but not as swift I would have expected and turning the water pump on and off is very sensitive on the manual controls. The App works fine though, luckily 😊

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
I think it does have the roll back but as I said it didn’t hold me rolling forwards. My car has it all ways. I’ll have to test it all really. The stop start was working a lot today with application of the foot brake and as soon as I lift it it starts.

No refunds Re any missing things, as I recall at the time whilst the Fiat launch suggested it had all those things they never actually said it would and later said they wouldn’t ☹️

Im only used to Continentals and used the pressures for each axle weight. Instead of 5.5 bar all round I’ve dropped the front to 4.5bar which I understand Michelin say is okay. The ride feels pretty good really.

Got the Brink (Thule) towbar sorted today for the Altera Strada DL3 rack. Dropped the ball to the lower holes & placed a 12mm spacer on it. Clears the doors a treat now so rack ordered. The ride into Hull and then around the streets of Hessle Road and Hessle was a doddle in the smaller and narrower van so that was pleasing.

One thing I forgot to mention before is the bottom section of the near side mirror is almost unusable as I cannot see probably 80%of it due to tge blinds framework, makes it hard for getting the rear axle on the drive properly in our tiny cul de sac

I’ve been trying the Adria control panel on and off today and it works but not as swift I would have expected and turning the water pump on and off is very sensitive on the manual controls. The App works fine though, luckily 😊

That point has also been raised on the Rapido Dreamer forum so clearly a general design issue.
Thanks for the update.(y)

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Glad you’re enjoying it after waiting all this time.

Re the metal fix, can you let me know how this turns out, with part no if possible. Lost count how many times it’s popped out on mine. I found silicone spray on the runner helps as well as holding it only where indicated. A good dousing of silicone spray on the washroom door runner, top and bottom, helps if it’s also a little sticky.
Will do Andy MacD My friend has had it done so I have seen it. It just appears to be a thin metal piece the same shape and size as the external plastic one and fits over it with the two tiny screws going through the metal one then the original plastic one. Not sure if it goes under the track too but suspect it does.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Very smart our last van was silver it seemed to stay cleaner than our present white one. 😁
I'm glad the day finally came, and you got most of what you wanted, yes agree about those blinds, someone we know has those I think dometic rather than remis, when I saw his I said at the time " not fit for purpose " they block lots of visibility making the lower mirrors worthless, I would insist they fit remis, they are all overpriced and flimsy but they are the better ones but rattle. 😁
Enjoy your pride and joy and safe travelling. 👍😎 Bob and Janie.

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
Very smart our last van was silver it seemed to stay cleaner than our present white one. 😁
I'm glad the day finally came, and you got most of what you wanted, yes agree about those blinds, someone we know has those I think dometic rather than remis, when I saw his I said at the time " not fit for purpose " they block lots of visibility making the lower mirrors worthless, I would insist they fit remis, they are all overpriced and flimsy but they are the better ones but rattle. 😁
Enjoy your pride and joy and safe travelling. 👍😎 Bob and Janie.
Yep agree with the mirror issue , bottom mirrors obscured needs a double check when overtaking , not a major issue though…..had the 150bhp model, lots of overtaking 😲

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yep agree with the mirror issue , bottom mirrors obscured needs a double check when overtaking , not a major issue though…..had the 150bhp model, lots of overtaking 😲
Well considering that small wide angle mirror is called a ' Blind Spot mirror ' 🙄 making pretty useless, we are LHD and here in the UK that one is a must coming off slip roads , you would have the same problem in Europe. 🤔
So Yes those blinds are not fit for purpose an accident waiting to happen. 🙂 Bob.

You or royandsharont post a photo of what you see in the mirror, others would agree and I certainly wouldn't except them. 🤔

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
Grief, £22.99 for a bit of bent metal!

Have emailed to see if they are gettting additional stock in, will update with their response.

May 30, 2019
Aberdeen, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
Exp
Since 2018
The Leisure Shop say they are on back order with Adria. Given how long it’s taking to get parts for warranty repairs it could be 6 months at least, I’m still waiting for the main control panel module ordered in February.

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
Grief, £22.99 for a bit of bent metal!

Have emailed to see if they are gettting additional stock in, will update with their response.
Yeah and about £7 postage. Having a laugh...

Jul 9, 2018
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
since 2016
dosser I dont do faceache do u have an email address for the guy.
Hi, yes been in contact with him he's more than happy for anyone to get in touch,.
Contact details are
Website is www.caramotorhomes.co.uk phone number and WhatsApp is 01782 598887 and email is info@caramotorhomes.co.uk
Looking at no more than £15 delivered.
His name is John Burton think hes the General Manager there.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back