Why isn't our motorhome selling, feedback needed.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Is that plus another 10k spending money 💰
I’ve been to Florida 17 times and very rarely gone on holiday so cheap to get there and spend so much once there 😳😁👍

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I’ve been to Florida 17 times and very rarely gone on holiday so cheap to get there and spend so much once there 😳😁👍
It's just how people want to spend their money 💰
6 weeks in Florida could buy you the ops van if that's what you wanted 🌞

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Just an observation on Market Forces, irrespective of your particular MH but so many in the year and price range you are at are actually putting a value not too far from what they cost new.
They are possibly achieved but in real terms the values are unrealistic, at the end of the day a Van a decade+ of age would be worthless and the body doesn’t hold the £k’s put on it.
As l said an observation,l do wish you well with the sale.

I attach a copy of an invoice for a vehicle l purchased in 1988 for a brand new Pilote, should be worthless but it’s probably still about with an owner thinking it’s worth £5k - £7k,who knows.

View attachment 903627
F881 SDC
Is 36 years old and still on the road.
MOT due this month and tax in September

And as you say, is probably still worth half what you paid for it!

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
F881 SDC
Is 36 years old and still on the road.
MOT due this month and tax in September

And as you say, is probably still worth half what you paid for it!
Thanks,you are probably correct,but really is crazy, still someone is enjoying Motorhoming in their own way.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Looked at your van in more detail and it seems to be an absolute bargain for someone, have you tried greasing the cables on your gearbox because we used to have the same problem on a similar van that we had and had to do it regularly.
Are you not getting any bids on this either?
If not trade as really slipped.
Thanks chaser.
No, the cable greasing idea is on my list of things to do, so we shall see.
Had some stupid offers around 5k, with one at 7k but I really don't know if they have a serious clue about motorhoming generally.
(Q. What's a payload. Do you have to buy those?)
Unbelievable Geoff.
Had a couple who loved the van, spent 3HOURS of me going through everything as they new nothing about motorhomes, but had apparently had a caravan.
Did not understand payload, or licence requirements re over 3500kg and C1, then decided that at 5.8m long it was a bit too small.
So we're going to look at some 7m plus vans, which would,I suspect, be over 3500kg.
Wife wants to drive motorhome on her own with the kids, but does not have a C1. You just couldn't make it up.
Explaining was like juggling soot!
Hey Ho.
I know we all had to start somewhere, but how many ACTUALLY do any proper research on what they want, need, can afford, and what the market prices are

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 2010
Wheres captain yoghurt pots van advertised please?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It’s in classifieds
Scroll down from here and you will see the blue bit with fun on it and classifieds is there click on that then vans for sale and it’s about 15 th ish down

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Wheres captain yoghurt pots van advertised please?

Click on his avatar, then...

1717271049143.png

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Captain Yoghurtpot just looked at your ad on here, do think if advertising elsewhere i would stress the no of seatbelts, being able to be driven on a 'normal licence' and up your price a bit, folk like a bargain and will love to knock you down to what you want

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Its the paying 2k for 6 days at the funfair gets me

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Captain Yoghurtpot just looked at your ad on here, do think if advertising elsewhere i would stress the no of seatbelts, being able to be driven on a 'normal licence' and up your price a bit, folk like a bargain and will love to knock you down to what you want
Thanks for the comments.
I think I have covered those points in the full advert description, but not perhaps in the opening short advert outline.
Thanks anyway for your feedback and advice.
Much appreciated. (y)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Has anyone had any luck selling these vans?
Judging by some of the insulting offers I am being made on this ("£2500 and I am a cash buyer") , and the amount for sale on fleabay and gumshoe, ,face ache etc, I suspect not.
Unless I want to literally give it away.
How can people make offers on a van when they have neither contacted to get more details, or even, been to see the van.
Think we must be in prime
'tyre-kicker' season.:ROFLMAO:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2022
We put our Carthago S Plus up for sale with Motor Depot and we are not getting any bites at all. If anyone has time to take a look at the listing and give us some constructive criticism, I would be grateful. I want to take it back but we are contracted for another 6 weeks yet.
Carthago S Plus
Its too expensive.
Not enough photo's and poorly taken.
Take the Angle mort sticker off.
Empty the van.
Photo with lights on.
Left hand drives are slower at the moment.
The photos look amateur. The background looks like a dump. It probably looks OK in reality but in the photos it looks like the Bristol Caravan "city". The impression is that it is uncared for. If you took the photos yourself, I suggest you pay a professional to do it. It needs decent lighting and it needs to be positioned so that it appears to a loved motorhome on a nice pitch. If the agent took the photos I think you have good cause to break the contract. Remember that you only get one chance to make a first impression. If I was looking to buy I wouldn't get past the first photo. Looking inside it looks lovely but dark and gloomy. Lots of light needed so that it looks warm and cosy (which I am sure it is)

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
The photos look amateur. The background looks like a dump. It probably looks OK in reality but in the photos it looks like the Bristol Caravan "city".
WOW!
I don't think that comment was necessary.
You must be looking at a different photo than me as I just don't see that at all.
I just hope you never see a photo of our house!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The photos look amateur. The background looks like a dump. It probably looks OK in reality but in the photos it looks like the Bristol Caravan "city". The impression is that it is uncared for. If you took the photos yourself, I suggest you pay a professional to do it. It needs decent lighting and it needs to be positioned so that it appears to a loved motorhome on a nice pitch. If the agent took the photos I think you have good cause to break the contract. Remember that you only get one chance to make a first impression. If I was looking to buy I wouldn't get past the first photo. Looking inside it looks lovely but dark and gloomy. Lots of light needed so that it looks warm and cosy (which I am sure it is)
Thanks for calling the front of my house a "dump" much appreciated. :mad:

Jim

Ringleader
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If I was looking to buy I wouldn't get past the first photo.

While you sat there with your nose in the air. Pondering the quality of the exposure and white balance while being impolite about someone's property, you'd likely miss lots of good buys. But then, who'd want to sell to someone as rude as you! :D

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Judging by some of the insulting offers I am being made on this ("£2500 and I am a cash buyer") , and the amount for sale on fleabay and gumshoe, ,face ache etc, I suspect not.
How can people make offers on a van when they have neither contacted to get more details, or even, been to see the van.
I've just had a look at your advert.
It has been mentioned before but I think you are most likely in the price range for new and aspiring motorhomers whose rose-tinted spectacles may become blurry with all the (techy) information. E.g. do you really need to give [body panel thicknesses],..... [adjustable mixer taps and lever operated shower head to conserve water and eliminate the need to constantly be adjusting the mixer taps for temperature regulation].....[Part Instruction Manual for the main components’ operation translated from original Italian]. Would a newcomer know whether having a leisure battery 'under the passenger seat' was a desirable thing or an admission of concern?
You also list details of the gearchange issue and I would at least get the cables greased as chaser suggested because with all the other details it's not something you want to feel obliged to put in an advert. Your listing of repair work/engine servicing also highlights the fact that the timing belt and water pump are now due for replacement.
I'm not suggesting that you should deliberately withhold information if asked and a highly detailed advert is fine for experienced folk but a naïve newcomer could become overwhelmed and put off when realising that there's so much they need to know/learn about motorhomes.

Last edited:
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
I've just had a look at your advert.
It has been mentioned before but I think you are most likely in the price range for new and aspiring motorhomers whose rose-tinted spectacles may become blurry with all the (techy) information. E.g. do you really need to give [body panel thicknesses],..... [adjustable mixer taps and lever operated shower head to conserve water and eliminate the need to constantly be adjusting the mixer taps for temperature regulation].....[Part Instruction Manual for the main components’ operation translated from original Italian]. Would a newcomer know whether having a leisure battery 'under the passenger seat' was a desirable thing or an admission of concern?
You also list details of the gearchange issue and I would at least get the cables greased as chaser suggested because with all the other details it's not something you want to feel obliged to put in an advert. Your listing of repair work/engine servicing also highlights the fact that the timing belt and water pump are now due for replacement.
I'm not suggesting that you should deliberately withhold information if asked and a highly detailed advert is fine for experienced folk but a naïve newcomer could become overwhelmed and put off when realising that there's so much they need to know/learn about motorhomes.
Thank you for your imput and yes, I agree, it is possibly too technical.
But, I have advertised it on fun, where I am unsure if there are many non-motorhome owners or potential newcomers who are members.
I just thought that if any member saw the advert, realised it could be a good van for someone NOT currently owning one, who they knew, they might think about pointing them to our advert as a starting point.
Or, they may be a caravanner who wants a motorhome or a member who might want a change of motorhome, but it is getting on a bit but still has entry of life in it, and I thought the ideal market might possibly be a first time motorhomer, or small young family moving from camping etc.
I have a much more reduced advert on ebay, with none of the technical details or highlighting any of the possible ailments for the future, and am now getting some right clowns phoning up.
Q.' what's the best price on the van?'
A. 'Its at £11495 as stated in the advert, but I am negotiable.'
Q.' So £3995 is no good then'.
A. ( can't publish response as will be thrown off the forum!)
I really don't know.
Waterpump and cambelt were replaced in 2019 , with receipts from where I had it done.
Seriously appreciate your comments.
Am now thinking of using it as a trade-in against a fairly good van which I can then get converted to the pop-top daily drive vehicle that ideally we would like, to use as and when our circumstances permit.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But, I have advertised it on fun, where I am unsure if there are many non-motorhome owners or potential newcomers who are members.
I just thought that if any member saw the advert, realised it could be a good van for someone NOT currently owning one, who they knew, they might think about pointing them to our advert as a starting point.
Or, they may be a caravanner who wants a motorhome or a member who might want a change of motorhome, but it is getting on a bit but still has entry of life in it, and I thought the ideal market might possibly be a first time motorhomer, or small young family moving from camping etc.
I have a much more reduced advert on ebay, with none of the technical details or highlighting any of the possible ailments for the future, and am now getting some right clowns phoning up.
I really don't know.
Waterpump and cambelt were replaced in 2019 , with receipts from where I had it done.
Am now thinking of using it as a trade-in against a fairly good van which I can then get converted to the pop-top daily drive vehicle that ideally we would like, to use as and when our circumstances permit.
I think you will struggle trading it in for a van, different market, a van will probably be less money so they will be offering you considerably less for yours as they have to pass it on to someone and as you have found out the market for such vehicles is considerably limited.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I really don't know.
After looking around eBay and other places, I'm afraid if I was looking for a van , my offer would be down there I'm afraid, sorry to say it but you really are going to struggle with it.
It might be the bargain of a lifetime but there are loads to choose from at far less money.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There are some things on motorhomes that are beyond help when it comes to photos.
The dinette table on our van is a case in point.
In photos taken prior to ownership, the table looks like it's had a very hard life.
In reality, it has a textured faux leather effect top surface and, although it is better for seeing 'in the flesh, ' I can imagine that photo put off more than one potential buyer.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
After looking around eBay and other places, I'm afraid if I was looking for a van , my offer would be down there I'm afraid, sorry to say it but you really are going to struggle with it.
It might be the bargain of a lifetime but there are loads to choose from at far less money.
Agreed and I think that is where we are heading.
Trying to cover as many bases as possible to maximise what I can realistically expect.
Sad times , price wise perhaps, but hey-ho.
It's only money at the close of play.
Think you are right about vans.
What with the ULEZ and Euro 6 shannigins, think our next purchase needs to be 2015 or 16 vintage, and that potentially is a whole new world of financial hurt. :ROFLMAO:
I don't know if you have changed your photos but it looks a great little MH to me......
Yes, Mrs YP got "involved".🤣

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Ridiculous isn't it might as well break it for parts your van looks like it's worth at least 10k all day long

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Harmony
Exp
Since 2021...
expand...

I consider myself still inexperienced and a novice, but thought that the additional info js helpful and very reassuring that you are buying from an honest and knowledgeable seller who truly knows the vehicle and it's nuances. Big positive for me.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

My answer when faced with that question would be:

A. My best price would be £14,000 but I’ve put it up for much less than that.👍