Why isn't our motorhome selling, feedback needed.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
One question about the MH in the OP post is how old are all the extras. If all are from 2008 there may be problems there soon and there are a lot of them.
This is a private sale. Reality check.
A buyer will have no warranty (for what this may be worth) or any comeback.
Worth is determined by the market, and to date?
Not a nibble.

tinkertaylor

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
I haven't had time to read all the comments that have come on today, as I have been driving mother around for hospital visits and shoe shopping. Who knew 86 year olds could be so fussy about the style of flat sturdy shoes!! My head is fried now.

I really appreciate all the constructive comments and advice. We will be acting on the new photos, angles morts sticker removal, dress the inside of the van better and lower the price. All these things I can do. I cannot change the colour of the interior or the layout, so that has to stay.

The problem is that the van is in storage (Motorhome Depots storage) near Peterborough, as we no longer have room on the drive. I have tried all local storage places and they are all full. We are now on several waitlist to get it moved closer to home. By the time the remaining 6 weeks are up I am hoping we can move it closer and do all the things that have been recommended.
You can dye leather easily. I have done it on settee, went from blue to grey. The kits are on amazon. Just go slow, thoroughly clean before you start and tape/cover up anything that maybe inadvertently coloured.

Tbh just take new photos, using the van. Nice view outside, hob on, water running, try and sell the holiday it gives not the van...

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Watching this thread with interest and am taking on board some of the comments regarding age of vans, extras etc and market forces in play now.
Things do seem to be coming down now and I need to be realistic.
Would be interested to know opinions on our van we have for sale in classifieds , in particular, price for a 2001 Fiat Ducato coachbuilt.
Please be totally honest on your comments.
I have a strong constitution and am looking at realism regarding price and will in no way be offended at comments viz price.
Thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Motorhome depot include a warranty.
I did say for what it's worth. Also been through the fine print.
Warranty is only as good as the provider. Misrepresentation by the seller is not a warranty issue, but a consumer rights case.
Then the law is on your side, but who pays the law to act.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Watching this thread with interest and am taking on board some of the comments regarding age of vans, extras etc and market forces in play now.
Would be interested to know opinions on our van we have for sale in classifieds , in particular, price for a 2001 Fiat Ducato coachbuilt.
I have a strong constitution and am looking at realism regarding price and will in no way be offended at comments viz price.
Thanks
I was offered 8k by a dealer for a hymer coach built on a Merc chassis LHD year 2000. Which I thought was a little low but then again that's a dealer and the way things seem to be heading I might be lucky to get that. I may just leave it in storage until it's a classic camper lol. But I would think you should be able to get 10k for yours.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
I was offered 8k by a dealer for a hymer coach built on a Merc chassis LHD year 2000. Which I thought was a little low but then again that's a dealer and the way things seem to be heading I might be lucky to get that. I may just leave it in storage until it's a classic camper lol. But I would think you should be able to get 10k for yours.
Thanks for that.
I was thinking around 8 to 10k in todays climate.
Had some interest but they were in the 6 to 7.5k bracket, and one sort of offer at 9k, but didn't trust the buyer or his attitude towards payment methods.
Appreciate your thinking.
Think We are on the same pricing wavelength.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
Yeah yours looks a great starter van for money. I am also watching this thread with interest I am in no rush to sell mine for peanuts as I have access to another camper van self build. In a ideal world second hand prices for 10 year old vehicles would be more reasonable allowing me to trade mine in at a lower price or sell at a lower price. But at todays prices are crazy and wages and incomes haven't keep pace.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for that.
Had some interest but they were in the 6 to 7.5k bracket, and one sort of offer at 9k, but didn't trust the buyer or his attitude towards payment methods.
I think your van is well worth what you’re asking. Not that long ago you’d have been killed in the rush at that price. Maybe just stick it out a little longer for the right buyer.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
With Not thinking of ever buying another van I don't usually look at secondhand vans but have been looking around since this thread started, where the hell do they get their prices from? Some of the ones I have seen make this one look like a giveaway.
Who the hell has got the spare money to just go out and buy some of these vans.
20 grand is too much just for an holiday or two when you take into account all the other expenses with this hobby., you can buy houses up here for less than some of these vans.
Crazy.
I would agree but who would buy a house in Uttoxetter 🤔

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I did say for what it's worth. Also been through the fine print.
Warranty is only as good as the provider. Misrepresentation by the seller is not a warranty issue, but a consumer rights case.
Then the law is on your side, but who pays the law to act.
Agree most after market warranties are rubbish but buyers fall for it.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks
Totally different proposition, quarter the price, twice the beds, half the miles , should fly.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
With Not thinking of ever buying another van I don't usually look at secondhand vans but have been looking around since this thread started, where the hell do they get their prices from? Some of the ones I have seen make this one look like a giveaway.
Who the hell has got the spare money to just go out and buy some of these vans.
20 grand is too much just for an holiday or two when you take into account all the other expenses with this hobby., you can buy houses up here for less than some of these vans.
Crazy.
You have to remember lots of people have spare money, big pensions, huge savings, how many people on here retire very early, in their fifties etc? Loads, they can afford new motorhomes and it’s great they buy them I’m really happy for them. Well done, wonderful, you deserve it.

Just look at your own situation, you’ve had a farm passed down through the generations, you’ve said a couple of times it’s worth over a million quid.

You may not like it but eventually somewhere down the line one of your future generations will probably flog that farm, shove the money in the bank for a while, spend it on a brand new Vario Perfect, rude women, cruises, alcohol, rude men even, sports cars, blow the chuffing lot.

I know we’re going to sell up this house eventually, going to spend the equity in it, I’ve worked it out, I think I’ll be able to buy a penny arrowbar, half a cider and a bag of chips.

Last edited:

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
You have to remember lots of people have spare money, big pensions, huge savings, how many people on here retire very early, in their fifties etc? Loads

Just look at your own situation, you’ve had a farm passed down through the generations, you’ve said a couple of times it’s worth over a million quid.

You may not like it but eventually somewhere down the line one of your future generations will probably flog that farm, shove the money in the bank for a while, spend it on a brand new Vario Perfect, rude women, cruises, alcohol, rude men even, sports cars, blow the chuffing lot.

I know we’re going to sell up this house eventually, going to spend the equity in it, I’ve worked it out, I think I’ll be able to buy a penny arrowbar, half a cider and a bag of chips.
I agree totally🙂 spend spend spend🙂 nobody gave me nowt and hopefully I will live long enough to leave nowt, even better if I get a credit card🤣

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You have to remember lots of people have spare money, big pensions, huge savings, how many people on here retire very early, in their fifties etc? Loads, they can afford new motorhomes and it’s great they buy them I’m really happy for them. Well done, wonderful, you deserve it.

Not all at once hopefully 😏

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I agree totally🙂 spend spend spend🙂 nobody gave me nowt and hopefully I will live long enough to leave nowt, even better if I get a credit card🤣

I have a different view. We are currently comfortably off, but mostly on my income, because a Polish teachers pension is a pittance.

She has had a struggle, after her husband died quite young, to bring up two sons and at some stage working three jobs to do it.

I therefore am making every provision to ensure that she can continue the standard of living that I have brought to her for the last 13 years. I do not want her to go back to the scraping and saving she endured before.

BTW nobody gave me nowt either, except education, which I have used.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Thanks for that.

I think it’s a great van and I’m really surprised it hasn’t gone already, have you got it advertised else where…?

The only thing that would put some off is the mention of gearbox problems….🤔

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks
Looked at your van in more detail and it seems to be an absolute bargain for someone, have you tried greasing the cables on your gearbox because we used to have the same problem on a similar van that we had and had to do it regularly.
Are you not getting any bids on this either?
If not trade as really slipped.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Do you know seriously, since this thread started, only 4 days and been looking at van prices I'm sure they are getting cheaper every day , I know you have to be aware of scammers but there looks to be some stunning deals coming up.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Globe Traveller
Exp
40+
Thanks
Just an observation on Market Forces, irrespective of your particular MH but so many in the year and price range you are at are actually putting a value not too far from what they cost new.
They are possibly achieved but in real terms the values are unrealistic, at the end of the day a Van a decade+ of age would be worthless and the body doesn’t hold the £k’s put on it.
As l said an observation,l do wish you well with the sale.

I attach a copy of an invoice for a vehicle l purchased in 1988 for a brand new Pilote, should be worthless but it’s probably still about with an owner thinking it’s worth £5k - £7k,who knows.

image.jpg

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger

Can you give me more information on these rude women.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I have a different view. We are currently comfortably off, but mostly on my income, because a Polish teachers pension is a pittance.

She has had a struggle, after her husband died quite young, to bring up two sons and at some stage working three jobs to do it.

I therefore am making every provision to ensure that she can continue the standard of living that I have brought to her for the last 13 years. I do not want her to go back to the scraping and saving she endured before.

BTW nobody gave me nowt either, except education, which I have used.
Well I don’t think my wife will struggle when I pop off as I don’t even have a credit card🙂 but she does🤣

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
I think it’s a great van and I’m really surprised it hasn’t gone already, have you got it advertised else where…?

The only thing that would put some off is the mention of gearbox problems….🤔
Agreed.
Also advertised on ebay and gumtree.
Really strange on the responses and the ridiculous prices some think they can offer and I will accept.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Looked at your van in more detail and it seems to be an absolute bargain for someone, have you tried greasing the cables on your gearbox because we used to have the same problem on a similar van that we had and had to do it regularly.
Are you not getting any bids on this either?
If not trade as really slipped.
Thanks chaser.
No, the cable greasing idea is on my list of things to do, so we shall see.
Had some stupid offers around 5k, with one at 7k but I really don't know if they have a serious clue about motorhoming generally.
(Q. What's a payload. Do you have to buy those?)
Unbelievable Geoff.
Had a couple who loved the van, spent 3HOURS of me going through everything as they new nothing about motorhomes, but had apparently had a caravan.
Did not understand payload, or licence requirements re over 3500kg and C1, then decided that at 5.8m long it was a bit too small.
So we're going to look at some 7m plus vans, which would,I suspect, be over 3500kg.
Wife wants to drive motorhome on her own with the kids, but does not have a C1. You just couldn't make it up.
Explaining was like juggling soot!
Hey Ho.
I know we all had to start somewhere, but how many ACTUALLY do any proper research on what they want, need, can afford, and what the market prices are ?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
Crazy.
My mate has just been to Florida for 2 weeks, 6 of them and paid 16 grand 😱

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back