Why isn't our motorhome selling, feedback needed. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

mark49

Free Member
Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Just skim read the post and photos hardly even matter impo,it’s purely the numbers. I’ve just sold a van(swift, eBay)and dealing with the fantasists is a trying experience. I think some start the 🍷 and need someone to talk to.
Good luck, take the hit and move on.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I wonder how many also knew of the 5 year guidance?

I agree. When you have a new or newer van you probably follow manufacturer servicing schedules which are in the handbook. With a 20 year old van I think servicing becomes a little less specific and a handbook/service booklet is less likely to be available. Still, fact remains a 5 year old cambelt is a risk.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
The photos look amateur. The background looks like a dump. It probably looks OK in reality but in the photos it looks like the Bristol Caravan "city". The impression is that it is uncared for. If you took the photos yourself, I suggest you pay a professional to do it. It needs decent lighting and it needs to be positioned so that it appears to a loved motorhome on a nice pitch. If the agent took the photos I think you have good cause to break the contract. Remember that you only get one chance to make a first impression. If I was looking to buy I wouldn't get past the first photo. Looking inside it looks lovely but dark and gloomy. Lots of light needed so that it looks warm and cosy (which I am sure it is)
Are you looking at the correct ad or not got your glasses on. The first 2 are clearly taken in a storage facility with some caravans in the background - nothing like 'Bristol caravan city'.

The inside shots seem to be in front of a perfectly normal shed/garage..

Personally I prefer unadulterated and non-staged shots. Looking a a lot of 'fancy' motorhome photos (particularly ones in manufacturers brochures/websites) I know in real life they will be nothing like that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just an interesting fact, go to eBay put in motorhome, then filter to sold items, you have to go to the next page to find sold items.
But then you will see what has actually sold , very few over 10 grand.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is a screenshot of a few
Screenshot_20240608-092407.png

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well,it’s probably all been said,but here’s my four pennies worth.
The price is overly optimistic in the current market.
It’s a beautiful motorhome,with lots of gadgets,but a lot of folk won’t realise the benefits of all of them.
There is less demand for lhd,now that fewer Brits are doing long stretches in eu.
The weight will deter some.
Personally I would prefer to buy entirely privately rather than through an agent. But if I was wanting to use a dealer I would certainly consider Simon Select.
It’s just a matter of time in my opinion…..be patient!

Good luck.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I said that on the first page, 10,000 is more normal for an A Class.
Unfortunately not in the UK

Have a look at all the motorhomes advertised in the UK for sale , there are very few with over 100k , there are however hundreds aged between 2000 and 2005 with less than 50k miles on them . Most brits just don't do that mileage.

I'm fulltime and as you know I do long extended trips and even I have struggled to do 10k a year most years.

This year has been an exception as I went to Georgia.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Unfortunately it's still only getting on average 20-24 views a day and currently only has 21 watchers.

And several of those watchers will be people on here .... I'm one of them.

I've vans on my watchlist that have over 200 watchers and are getting daily views in the 400-500 range.

It's not attracting the footfall

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't think classified sales are included

Most MHs are not sold on auction - except the less expensive...
I think however the auction prices often give the true value . Sure there are some bargains to be had but I've seen a few brave sellers get great prices on auctions .especially if they put them on with no reserve.

Most of the classified ones just get relisted for months on end.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is a screenshot of a fewView attachment 906619
But Charlie they are just cheap old bangers they will always be a market for them, Sandra & Colin are selling a decent van at a sensible price, a new one with that spec is over £200k.

I wouldn't give a fiver for your old tractors but I don't keep on about it.

You don't appear to appreciate any Motorhome that costs over 10k, we are nowhere as well off as you but are about to spend a huge chunk of our life savings on a new van and that is not including what we are getting for the old one. We like a new decent van so why not.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Captain Yoghurtpot would have sold his van a couple of months ago if the fixed bed didn't need steps to get up .... I know because I would have bought it for my daughter!! It's well priced (to allow a bit of haggling) in my opinion

Armytwowheels - are you sticking with your agent ? Did you ask Simon Select if he would broker it for you when your current contract ends? As others have said, I think it's ideal for someone with experience and recognises the benefits of the specification, a motorhome dealer would possibly explain it better than an agent working for motorhome depot? When we went to view a motorhome depot advertised motorhome, the agent knew very little about motorhomes, had never owned one, he was a salesman who would have been very good selling door to door cleaning products !!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I sold a 2008 frankia in 2018 for £41k

It was 10 years old .

The equivalent now is nearly 200k

6years later and I wouldn't pay more for it now than it sold for 6 years ago.

A few years back people were doing that but they aren't now.

All these people saying " the right person is out there "

Well they obviously aren't, or they'd have seen it and bought it.

The right person may come along at somepoint when they are looking for one , but right now everyone who is looking for a van like this obviously feels its too expensive.

Ebay is the most popular selling platform , that's why it has so many. Most of the vans on autotrader, and other platforms are also on ebay.

There are some amazing bargains on there just now , and there are a lot that are still trying to achieve the prices from a few years back ... they're not selling .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But Charlie they are just cheap old bangers they will always be a market for them, Sandra & Colin are selling a decent van at a sensible price, a new one with that spec is over £200k.

I wouldn't give a fiver for your old tractors but I don't keep on about it.

You don't appear to appreciate any Motorhome that costs over 10k, we are nowhere as well off as you but are about to spend a huge chunk of our life savings on a new van and that is not including what we are getting for the old one. We like a new decent van so why not.
That wasn't what said, I was just pointing out that the type of van most buyers are after is the cheap ones.
As to not being as well off as me you have to be joking, I could no more buy a 20 grand motorhome than fly in the air.
I would suppose most folks are the same.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
@Armytwowheels - are you sticking with your agent ? Did you ask @Simon Select if he would broker it for you when your current contract ends? As others have said, I think it's ideal for someone with experience and recognises the benefits of the specification, a motorhome dealer would possibly explain it better than an agent working for motorhome depot? When we went to view a motorhome depot advertised motorhome, the agent knew very little about motorhomes, had never owned one, he was a salesman who would have been very good selling door to door cleaning products !
Our current contract ends on 10th July and no we will not be extending it with MD. Simon Select is rather a long way for us to take the van to sell it down there, but never say never. We had to act quickly to get the Carthago housed somewhere and the MD option seemed to solve the storage problem.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I sold a 2008 frankia in 2018 for £41k

It was 10 years old .

The equivalent now is nearly 200k

6years later and I wouldn't pay more for it now than it sold for 6 years ago.

A few years back people were doing that but they aren't now.

All these people saying " the right person is out there "

Well they obviously aren't, or they'd have seen it and bought it.

The right person may come along at somepoint when they are looking for one , but right now everyone who is looking for a van like this obviously feels its too expensive.

Ebay is the most popular selling platform , that's why it has so many. Most of the vans on autotrader, and other platforms are also on ebay.

There are some amazing bargains on there just now , and there are a lot that are still trying to achieve the prices from a few years back ... they're not selling .
If ,"the right person" comes along and buys it they are obviously paying more than it's worth, what happens when they come to try and sell it in a couple of years time, I'm afraid they are going to be losing a shed load of money.

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
If ,"the right person" comes along and buys it they are obviously paying more than it's worth, what happens when they come to try and sell it in a couple of years time, I'm afraid they are going to be losing a shed load of money.
I suppose if someone buys anything for more than what it is worth they have to realise that if the sell they will be way out of pocket.

However if someone wants to keep something for a long time and enjoy it then they may not be as concerned with that.

I personally wouldn't but a motorhome expecting to get X amount back in ten years time but on the flip side I wouldnt sell it for way below market prices it would be left to sit or turned into a garden shed.

I am waiting a bit longer myself to see if dealers become more realistic with prices the company called COVID glory days of selling crap for high prices are gone.

If some dealers go busy they go bust there's plenty taken the Mickey for years

I think there's a big reset coming with prices

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think there's a big reset coming with prices

I doubt that, some makers are charging almost twice more now than they were 5 years ago, I doubt they will drop much at all. I agree, used prices will come down, but while new prices remain high, it will not be enough for a BIG reset.,

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
So they will just keep prices high and have a more limited market selling less new vans.

I suppose that makes sense if base vehicles. Are a high price to start with there will be less and less people motorhoming as more people just stick to package holidays

Many campsites are far to expensive these days and the price of getting to the continent is higher and higher.

The best years have gone I am afraid

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I doubt that, some makers are charging almost twice more now than they were 5 years ago, I doubt they will drop much at all. I agree, used prices will come down, but while new prices remain high, it will not be enough for a BIG reset.,
But it is used . Its a 2008.

They've already dropped substantially. The only ones advertised second hand at high prices just now are people hopeful to get back what they paid in the last couple of years. The same vans I saw advertised around 30k last year are now down around 20/22k where they should be ... they went up in price for a couple of years but were never going to stay that high.

Right now I'd say that vans selling price is around 35k

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I was talking about prices in general, after Bobby Dazzlers Big Reset post. not the OPs van
Ah OK I never saw that , yours Is the next post I see after chaser so I thought you were replying to him 👍

Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I am on the look out for another van. Looking at private sale but some of them are living in another world.
Dealer wants £42.000. (Ok They have overheads)
Same van with motorhome depot is £ 40.000 ( so you are paying £3000 to £4000 for the rep .So they way i look
at it .If i got £1000 off the sale price the van .Then the rep gets there cut .So in my view the van is only worth £35.000. £36.000
Some private sellers are asking £40.000 .But the van Should be up for a lot less.
I will get my van one day. But i will not pay over the odds
Who Cares James Harden GIF by NBPA

Jan 8, 2011
Debyshire
Funster No
MH
hymer c640 c class
Exp
since 2009
I am on the look out for another van. Looking at private sale but some of them are living in another world.
Dealer wants £42.000. (Ok They have overheads)
Same van with motorhome depot is £ 40.000 ( so you are paying £3000 to £4000 for the rep .So they way i look
at it .If i got £1000 off the sale price the van .Then the rep gets there cut .So in my view the van is only worth £35.000. £36.000
Some private sellers are asking £40.000 .But the van Should be up for a lot less.
I will get my van one day. But i will not pay over the odds
Who Cares James Harden GIF by NBPA
Same here mate I will sit it out until prices are where they should be

Oct 5, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet
Lots of discounting and reduced asking price on Auto trader second hand. New ones also being reduced in places, albeit only by c 5%. I’m certainly feeling the money is better off in the bank for now. If we had the time to properly use it I’d be buying but we don’t so I’m not

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back