What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (8 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
From this

IMG_20230428_144729.jpg

To this, after fitting Renogy 3000w inverter

IMG-20230510-WA0003.jpeg

Performs the same function, remotely turns off the inverter when not needed.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Finally fitted the side steps that I originally bought for the Alliance, as the cabs the same there was no problem fitting to the new motorhome (autograph) well, other than having to do it on my hands and knees over two days and snapping two drill bits. :mad:
However, most importantly, the wife can now get into the passenger seat much much easier. Happy wife, happy life!

pass.jpg
pass2.jpg
pass3.jpg
under.jpg

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Fixed the boiler wiring after some pesky mouse had a nibble.

Ended up having to drop the large guard under the water tanks to see what was happening to the wonderful world of AT wiring and managed to release some slack from along the chassis, that I then fed back into the hab area to do the repairs. All working as it should be and gave me a chance to empty out under the rear fixed bed and give it a good hoovering at the same time 👍🏻

IMG_8237.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Fixed might be the wrong word, more like bodged a repair to get the Thetford oven working. Small piece of silver foil inserted in oven control knob to pad out the valve spindle to prevent it cutting off the gas supply when igniting.

Nov 2, 2022
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T65 de
Exp
Too long
Just taken off the Hymer large centre roof light, cleaned it, and overhauled the winder mechanism then resealed the bracketing to the roof with mastic sealing strip. Refit roof light with new star lock washers and it winds so much easier than before. Oh and no rain interruptions today.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Well the twin gaslow setup from the previous motorhome is now sitting nice and snug in the current one so today drilled the hole in the skirt. If you have a Bailey Autograph though be aware that the wiring for the side marker lights run through a channel in the skirt (unlike the previous MH where it ran behind and could be moved) and you'll cut right through the wiring if you're not careful. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Annnnnd……what was it 🤷🏼‍♂️
I had to rip the van apart to chase the wires from the CBE Distribution Unit in the garage to the Battery Separator eventually found in the passenger footwell. Some 'Highly Trained Technician' at some point before I bought the van a few years ago had connected the starter and leisure batteries to the wrong posts in the separator. Connected them correctly and hey presto all is working as it should now.

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Used super glue to fix a couple of cracks on my Autosleeper inside hab door panel. Glued some small bits of scrap plastic behind panel to give it some strength.

Plastic often seems to get brittle with age and it's a nuisance!

Hate to think how much a replacement panel would have cost!

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Used super glue to fix a couple of cracks on my Autosleeper inside hab door panel. Glued some small bits of scrap plastic behind panel to give it some strength.

Plastic often seems to get brittle with age and it's a nuisance!

Hate to think how much a replacement panel would have cost!

have you looked at youtube videos showing superglue and baking powder repairs. it really does work !

i wouldnt use it on the 'good side' of a repair, but if you can get to the side that isnt seen it really is worth considering

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Dometic fly screen seriously broken following temporary repairs earlier this year. Looks like the only solution is a £375 replacement for a problem caused by a bit of string costing about 10p! Dealer & Dometic not interested. 🤬
im sure some people have restrung their screens, from what i remember (if i saw it at all !!) they said it was very fiddly and time consuming though!

though you dont say whether its the door fly screen or window screen?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
im sure some people have restrung their screens, from what i remember (if i saw it at all !!) they said it was very fiddly and time consuming though!

though you dont say whether its the door fly screen or window screen?

Door screen, there’s some useful info on here, but nothing specific enough (for me) to work out how to restring the thing. It’s very fiddly, especially when the frame appears to be fitted before the kitchen furniture. It’s the Dometic Flyscreen FT200 as fitted to the ‘whoosh bang’ on PVCs. Because It wont open/close properly I’ve needed to use it in a bodged fashion which has now resulted in the plastic frame breaking. I think it’s heading to the trash bin!

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Returned from our two month trip to EU with a list of 30 odd things that need attention, either repairs or improvements. Currently waiting on delivery of bits.
That's a fairly long list! It's fortunate that you're really retired.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
That's a fairly long list! It's fortunate that you're really retired.
Yup, very variable things like leaking washbasin waste pipe, some locker catches (nice metal handles but flimsy plastic working parts), removal of fixed heavy table, kitchen sink cover that slides all over the place, construction of a seat base/booze cupboard.
A lot of things to do and all have to be done for our next trip abroad late Aug.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Woke up this morning and found the rear skylight had failed again. Easy peasy temp repair until I’m home as needed a drill, but don’t carry it any longer as a part of my weight saving exercise, that saw my 4 ton trolly jack, slings, ropes, tools etc, left at home.

Such a rubbish design, with nylon string literally sawing its way through the tiniest piece of plastic ever made. This is the second time I’ve had to do the repair, as it’s a simple case of drilling a small pilot hole and fitting a screw for the string to slide along. I know the string will fail eventually by rubbing against the screw thread, but I’ll restring it when the time comes. Mind you, I replaced both plastic lugs on the first repair a few years back and the string shows no sign of wear…..yet.

Only washed the roof last week, so an excellent shot by some messy bird 🤦🏼‍♂️

IMG_2464.jpeg

IMG_2466.jpeg

Side with the lug still attached but worn and the screw from the last repair.

IMG_2467.jpeg

Opposite side where the lug has broken.

IMG_2468.jpeg

Size of the tiny piece broken away.

IMG_2469.jpeg

All back in place and working as it should be. Run the string around the screw already in place as a temp fit, plus I cleaned it all before putting back on the roof.

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Faulty EGR valve - replaced in La Seu d'Urgell in the Pyrenees next day at a total cost of 812 euros. LV breakdown assistance second to none - they were with me 15 minutes after I made the initial call and found me a garage that could replace the faulty part next day 👍

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I've fixed my own cars and bikes since I was a teenager. Have rebuilt car and bike engines as well as gearboxes (on older vehicles before they got too complicated) and just about everything else apart from welding. But I don't even know what an EGR valve is! I know from your post it is very expensive though!

It's a shame that modern vehicles are so complicated. I guess it's the price we pay in the drive towards more efficient cleaner engines. Some of the smaller modern cars are almost as fuel efficient as our mopeds used to be!

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. Does what is says. Unless it sticks open or closed - then you lose the use of your turbo, go into "limp" mode and belch thick black smoke from your exhaust. It was like driving my old VW non- turbo T4 camper van - not a nice experience. Maybe not such a problem in Norfolk, but in the Pyrenees.......

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back