What have you fixed on your motorhome this week? (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
For maximum efficiency, it is prudent to release the handbrake /undo cables , that way you know that even when the handbrake is off you know there is no tension pulling on the mechanism/ brake / brake pads before adjusting the footbrake side, the when they are adjusted refit/ tension the handbrake cables.
I'm glad it passed the MOT,which are minimum standards that have been set.
Thank you and yes, absolutely regarding the cables.

Incidentally, it wasn’t me that went for the mot.

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Having read another thread discussing modifications/additions and informing insurance companies, even the addition of stickers, I was somewhat alarmed! Does changing brakes &/or discs oneself become an informable change?

I Fitted a large solar panel but didn't inform my insurer!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We use the phone as a satnav. It sits in a cradle with a suction pad on the dash, but that was never successful, nor was putting it under the spring clip for notes even with a grove cur in the cradle base to accomomdate the edge of the spring clip. It often used to fall over on bumpy roads or extreme cambers on French roundabouts.

This week I put a piece of folded over non-slip matting between the spring clip and cradle and under the cradle. Stays secure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Having read another thread discussing modifications/additions and informing insurance companies, even the addition of stickers, I was somewhat alarmed! Does changing brakes &/or discs oneself become an informable change?

I Fitted a large solar panel but didn't inform my insurer!
I wouldn’t bother, adding a solar panel isn’t a modification, nor is maintenance and changing parts. Just took out new insurance and it stated that the vehicle must be kept in a roadworthy condition and mot’d etc, so changing parts is essential for serviceability.

If we started, where would we stop. Fitted a SOG to my toilet, that’ll be a modification and an increase of a zillion quid on insurance.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Learning to appreciate what time we have left
Took out the PCB on the Truma Combi 4e due to a failure with the system not seeing power . Upon application ( Asking something to function) It gave 13.5 volts at the 12v points on the board on hook up , It then dropped down to 6v when it supposed to operate any function it was asked to do. It would then bring up error code W255e and the dreaded triangle of doom! Off to Truma for a replacement to be delivered Tuesday.
Bit of a bugger but....Since ownership...that and some new liesure batteries and tyres all around...Can't grumble.

Faulty.jpeg
20230715_104303.jpeg

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Took out the PCB on the Truma Combi 4e due to a failure with the system not seeing power . Upon application ( Asking something to function) It gave 13.5 volts at the 12v points on the board on hook up , It then dropped down to 6v when it supposed to operate any function it was asked to do. It would then bring up error code W255e and the dreaded triangle of doom! Off to Truma for a replacement to be delivered Tuesday.
Bit of a bugger but....Since ownership...that and some new liesure batteries and tyres all around...Can't grumble.

View attachment 783149View attachment 783150

I had a dry soldering joint on the back of the 12v pin, re-soldered and it cured it…😎

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I had a dry soldering joint on the back of the 12v pin, re-soldered and it cured it…😎
To be honest...I have had the bloody thing on and off about three times now and gone through it with a Multi meter doing everything I could think of? It was when I noticed the one led would flash to a click from a relay and then ...5volts! I can only assume the relay has failed and or is not functioning properly. Truma should have it Monday and hopefully a new one to be delivered in the week. Fingers crossed! (y);)

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Well bugger me! A call from Truma and its absolutely fine ? That meant a check on the rest of the truck! Michaela from Truma Said....Stick a different battery across the terminals and see if it works then ? That or the wiring?
I actually thought she had lost the plot ! I had explained I had replaced the batteries both Hab and Starter battery less than 5 months ago. I knew it could not be the batteries but...Decided to give it a go. Guess what ? You could not make it up honestly! The bloody thing worked fine!
Right the challenge was on! Went under the truck and followed the wiring through to the cab where it was and I quote "Professionally " set up by Autotrail when it was "Born" as a Delaware Motorhome.
Please take a look below and tell me this is British professionalism at its best....I am totally at a loss!
I tried to explain to Autotrail the issue I had.....They said Its very possible it was done by the original owner? Seriously?
The Solar system was extra and the picture 4 "Seriously Joking" Was not crimped or soldered in place!
There are joins and goodness knows what in the main loom that you see...look at the poor soldering never mind the fact the Negative cable which is white and brown ...had been cut and rejoined again and again up the loom? Why? Factory supplied!

Basically ....The truck comes as a chassis and cab like most do. The wiring is then altered at the factory when the coach built bit is added so ...why not do it properly ? The problem I have is the Power dropping off to 6v when an application was needed from the Truma System. The fault actually lies in the cabling and poor workmanship!

Could be worse I suppose...or could it?

Kev

Balls up.jpeg Joking 1.jpeg Joking 2.jpeg Sedriously joking ?.jpeg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Next job for today is driven by failure of the small inverter only used to raise the front blind / shutter. It's OEM because for some reason the blind is mains powered. Amazon supply a 250W Victron inverter arriving at my campsite today.
New Victron 250W inverter installed today. Blind working.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Well bugger me! A call from Truma and its absolutely fine ? That meant a check on the rest of the truck! Michaela from Truma Said....Stick a different battery across the terminals and see if it works then ? That or the wiring?
I actually thought she had lost the plot ! I had explained I had replaced the batteries both Hab and Starter battery less than 5 months ago. I knew it could not be the batteries but...Decided to give it a go. Guess what ? You could not make it up honestly! The bloody thing worked fine!
Right the challenge was on! Went under the truck and followed the wiring through to the cab where it was and I quote "Professionally " set up by Autotrail when it was "Born" as a Delaware Motorhome.
Please take a look below and tell me this is British professionalism at its best....I am totally at a loss!
I tried to explain to Autotrail the issue I had.....They said Its very possible it was done by the original owner? Seriously?
The Solar system was extra and the picture 4 "Seriously Joking" Was not crimped or soldered in place!
There are joins and goodness knows what in the main loom that you see...look at the poor soldering never mind the fact the Negative cable which is white and brown ...had been cut and rejoined again and again up the loom? Why? Factory supplied!

Basically ....The truck comes as a chassis and cab like most do. The wiring is then altered at the factory when the coach built bit is added so ...why not do it properly ? The problem I have is the Power dropping off to 6v when an application was needed from the Truma System. The fault actually lies in the cabling and poor workmanship!

Kev

View attachment 783433 View attachment 783434 View attachment 783435 View attachment 783436
Looks like most hidden converter connections I've seen.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Kev

View attachment 783433 View attachment 783434 View attachment 783435 View attachment 783436

One of the reasons I despair when people say I’m taking it back to the dealer to fix… :doh:

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I would not mind but it has to be by the original fitter / electrician / converter call them what you want to ! There is just too much work for the average bloke to contemplate doing! I honestly thought a couple of hours under the truck and it would be sorted? No...still at it!
Tomorrow is another day .....Perhaps I can get it ready for the panel to be refitted and hopefully sorted? We Will see!!

Just a thought....I will need at least a couple of rolls of Self Amalgamating tape to make it look good? Screwfix I suppose?

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
One of the reasons I despair when people say I’m taking it back to the dealer to fix… :doh:
Despair I am one of the people that don't like all Garage being tarred with the same brush , our Motorhome has just been back the selling main dealer for some minor Warranty work , can't say I'm impressed, in fact I'm going to redo some of their work , The Receptionist is a nice sort of chap but, he spiels nothing but Bull shoot, when talking to my wife he started giving my wife the same stuff, I 'm afraid he got a short shift from her , I don't think realises she also worked in our Garage, and is quite knowledge about Motorhomes and caravans , Made me smile :giggle:

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Despair I am one of the people that don't like all Garage being tarred with the same brush , our Motorhome has just been back the selling main dealer for some minor Warranty work , can't say I'm impressed, in fact I'm going to redo some of their work , The Receptionist is a nice sort of chap but, he spiels nothing but Bull shoot, when talking to my wife he started giving my wife the same stuff, I 'm afraid he got a short shift from her , I don't think realises she also worked in our Garage, and is quite knowledge about Motorhomes and caravans , Made me smile :giggle:

I don’t like to either but unfortunately you hear of too many bad jobs and not enough good ones, I do, do a lot of work myself but if I have to take it to a garage then I have my preferred local one that I trust, mainly because I’m sat right next to him when he’s working on it….😆😎

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Quality British workmanship at its best!
You would think for £50K minimum they might have a few craftsmen and some quality control instead of trained monkeys (and perhaps that's being unfair to monkeys).

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Quality British workmanship at its best!
You would think for £50K minimum they might have a few craftsmen and some quality control instead of trained monkeys (and perhaps that's being unfair to monkeys).
I suspect that the workmanship varies from place to place whatever the country.

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Well after a few hours faffing about with the cabling and rejoining the buggers that were ...How can I put it?.........Bodged!
My new crimping tool came into its best for connecting up the large cable from the solar system and its fuse (The one showing the plastic heat shrink sleeve barely holding it all together! Talk about Bodge job! ) I refitted the negative bundle that was causing all my problems with a new crimp and soldered collar and covered it all up in Self amalgamating tape . Decided on a new pair of cables for the pos and neg to the Truma system from the battery through a 20 amp fuse and holder. Coupled it up and then connected the EHU to try it on mains first................Well I'll be blowed...Chuffed to blummin bits! It works!
Now I decided to set it up on 12v and gas alone.....Hip pip Hooray! It fired up and functioned how it should do!
My big test will be tomorrow! I Dont know why but if it were to fail...its always the next day? Sods law I am sure!

Any way...I will be back n the morning ! Have a good night folks

Regards Kev(y);)

Sep 2, 2020
Ladybarn, Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Well after a few hours faffing about with the cabling and rejoining the buggers that were ...How can I put it?.........Bodged!
My new crimping tool came into its best for connecting up the large cable from the solar system and its fuse (The one showing the plastic heat shrink sleeve barely holding it all together! Talk about Bodge job! ) I refitted the negative bundle that was causing all my problems with a new crimp and soldered collar and covered it all up in Self amalgamating tape . Decided on a new pair of cables for the pos and neg to the Truma system from the battery through a 20 amp fuse and holder. Coupled it up and then connected the EHU to try it on mains first................Well I'll be blowed...Chuffed to blummin bits! It works!
Now I decided to set it up on 12v and gas alone.....Hip pip Hooray! It fired up and functioned how it should do!
My big test will be tomorrow! I Dont know why but if it were to fail...its always the next day? Sods law I am sure!

Any way...I will be back n the morning ! Have a good night folks

Regards Kev(y);)
Well done

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Well I'm back again sorry. All is absolutely hunky dory! My work is complete. It rested out fine and worked both on and off EHU
Really pleased as it's been a bugger!
I would like to think it looks better than it did? I know it's done more professionally trust me.
Now I can sleep better . 😌
20230719_095459.jpg

Jun 6, 2022
Bottesford, Scunthorpe, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Water pump, Shureflo trail king 7, it stopped working properly, just kept humming but not pumping a couple of months ago but after driving to next stop it started again, at weekend it stopped again just at the end of our trip, this time no restart so I looked at spares prices and a new pump price - went for new pump £60 from Jacksons Leisure, fitted in minutes, 2 pipes connection, 2 wires - crimp on spades fitted to new pump , 4 screws and all is good, I did clean out the filter not that there was much in it anyway but if a jobs worth doing ...

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Well I'm back again sorry. All is absolutely hunky dory! My work is complete. It rested out fine and worked both on and off EHU
Really pleased as it's been a bugger!
I would like to think it looks better than it did? I know it's done more professionally trust me.
Now I can sleep better . 😌
View attachment 784289
Autotrail have a lot to answer for. This was the mess I found when the near side lights stopped working….glad you got it sorted 👍🏻
IMG_1450.jpeg
IMG_1449.jpeg
IMG_1448.png
IMG_1447.jpeg

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I thought that I had better report on my own thread again!
Yesterday we had a joint effort of replacing the silicone seal around the bench seat of the toilet. Made difficult by the curvy shape and inability to bend over or kneel in the confined space. The seal had been loose and untidy since soonnafter getting the van due of course to settling by sitting on it. One of those jobs we really put off!

Then we used the same stuff to put back the cleaned up Gas It decal around the filler. Noticed it flapping in the gale at Highlands End and retrieved it just in time.

Last job of the day, glueing back the edging strip to the step up to the cab.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Jasz
Back