Twiggy

Banned
Aug 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Just starting out!
Off on a shopping trip for the MH later today. On the list is a water pipe; what sort of length should I go for?

On sites that have electric hook-up, do they generally have an adjacent water source?

Also, what about tap fittings? We will be based in the Netherlands but very close to Germany and Belgium. Our intention is to ‘do’ as much of Europe as we are able whilst we are here. Do we need a whole load of tap fittings for this?

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Does anyone have food grade:

Main pipe from outer to water tank
Fittings through their van
Piping through their van
Glues that were used to connect piping together
Taps and fittings

(I assume all fresh water tanks are food grade, maybe not all though...)

The water has a much higher contact time in those areas vs the hose that it spent say 1 second passing through. Also as it likely came up from the mains supply it came through pretty cold vs ambient temperature (as in what it sits in your van) and at say 15-25º then the transfer of anything is likely to be much faster vs the 5-8º it comes up from the ground as.

I reckon a simple TSDS check would be an reasonable indicator as to the changes the water has gone through, from mains through hose vs after going through the vans system.

Once you change the temperatures, contact time and other aspects like salinity, pH etc then i'd agree that food grade hosing could be a benefit. I say that from experience of passing 10's of thousands of litres of salted water (35ppt) @ 26.00º through pure silicone, PVC and PE piping on an hourly basis, there it can be an issue and trace elements of phthalates have been found, but in very very small quantities and after thousands of hours of contact time in harsh conditions.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Does anyone have food grade:

Main pipe from outer to water tank
Fittings through their van
Piping through their van
Glues that were used to connect piping together
Taps and fittings

yes. to all.. including the storage tank

glue not used in fresh water pipes .. just drain pipes.

water pipes are generally push fittings or barb tail fittings with jubilee clips

pretty sure that is the regulations for potable water systems in caravans

in any case, why would you not use non-toxic filling hose ?

someone said cost..

spend £10k - £100k on a van then grudge £30 for a non-toxic food grade hose ?

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Please, someone show me factual proof that someone has died drinking from a hose pipe before I strangle my self with one.....:D2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
if you are anything like me, you will regularly leave one on the tap and only remember it when you are 50 miles down the road.
Don't bother getting the connectors. Like @peterc10 I have left them scattered around most aires we visited. Oh, we haven't got round to some of the places you list so maybe you'd better get some. (n)

Wyn

Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
Please, someone show me factual proof that someone has died drinking from a hose pipe before I strangle my self with one.....:D2
I can't profess to having died from using non food grade hose but 15 years ago I was hit by a serious recurring respiratory problem that brought me down to a very low level and may have contributed to a heart condition which all but killed me. The source of the infection was eventually traced by the HSE to a hose. Now I use for the motorhome food grade hose.

Upvote 0

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Geez guys I wish I had never mentioned X hose in my earlier post!!! Personally I don’t drink the water direct from my on board system unless it has been boiled. As for the X hose it suits me and because it is silicone inside I’m hoping that it is relatively safe given all the other kitchen gadgets etc that are made of the stuff.
I’ve had the cassette type flat hose in the past but found it a faff. Just my opinion and each to his own - anyway I’m still here !!!

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
Geez guys I wish I had never mentioned X hose in my earlier post!!! Personally I don’t drink the water direct from my on board system unless it has been boiled. As for the X hose it suits me and because it is silicone inside I’m hoping that it is relatively safe given all the other kitchen gadgets etc that are made of the stuff.
I’ve had the cassette type flat hose in the past but found it a faff. Just my opinion and each to his own - anyway I’m still here !!!

Boiling the water won't destroy any leached chemicals... Kitchen gadgets will will made from non toxic food quality materials.. I have no idea what X hose is or if it's non toxic or not.. silicone is generally safe

I agree the flat roll cassette hoses are a faff.. you can buy normal 1/2in food grade for around £2 per meter, I carry two pieces , 5mt and 15mt .. the short piece is generally all that is required to fill up at a French aire .. on UK sites a water carrier with a spout which I also carry is often more convenient

and agree.. each to their own.. we all make choices, posts on here are to inform only .. not dictate.

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
they tested river water in Africa after 24 hours in plastic bottles in sunlight and it was drinkable. (so I read some years ago)

Is it not partly to do with the plastic ie if it’s clear or coloured?
24 hours doesn’t seem to be a long time before testing.
Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong :)

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Upvote 0

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
The Mirror story brings back bad memories, circumstances a little different in my own case but broadly similar, believe me what I contracted was awful, it reduced me to an absolute wreck. In my case the offending hose was flushed through daily with water and air and stored dry but contamination of the lining left a dangerous build up of bacteria.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
hold fire peeps, I have run out of popcorn, be back soon:)

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
Is it not partly to do with the plastic ie if it’s clear or coloured?
24 hours doesn’t seem to be a long time before testing.
Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong :)
it was 6 hours according to the article

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
With or without the funnel mine works a treat (once I've shaken the snails out).
2018-02-25 Water filler equipment 002.JPG

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
It has been scientifically proven that using a garden hose rather than food grade hose has two further detrimental effects.

Firstly the contaminants involved settle in your clean water tank and when they degrade they give off a dangerous unknown gas that will incapacitate you, thus enabling you to be robbed.

And secondly when these contaminants get into your grey waste tank they start to rot the rubber seals of the drain tap, thus leading to a slow loss of grey water out of the tank. This usually occurs while you are driving.

There .................... that should keep the popcorn coming.................... :D2

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
It has been scientifically proven that using a garden hose rather than food grade hose has two further detrimental effects.

Firstly the contaminants involved settle in your clean water tank and when they degrade they give off a dangerous unknown gas that will incapacitate you, thus enabling you to be robbed.

And secondly when these contaminants get into your grey waste tank they start to rot the rubber seals of the drain tap, thus leading to a slow loss of grey water out of the tank. This usually occurs while you are driving.

There .................... that should keep the popcorn coming.................... :D2

Does it also make your legs fall off...? I do have a bit of trouble with that....:eek:

If an arm falls off I’ll be going round in circles like this thread.....:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back