Twiggy

Banned
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Just starting out!
Off on a shopping trip for the MH later today. On the list is a water pipe; what sort of length should I go for?

On sites that have electric hook-up, do they generally have an adjacent water source?

Also, what about tap fittings? We will be based in the Netherlands but very close to Germany and Belgium. Our intention is to ‘do’ as much of Europe as we are able whilst we are here. Do we need a whole load of tap fittings for this?

SuperMike

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Plastic watering can as well as a curly expandable type hose for me.
Phil

85gal tank with a watering can. I carry many, I say again, many lengths of hose. I have never yet failed to reach the tap. :rofl:

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I can see this being another long thread..

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

Didn’t your mum tell you not to pull threads as your jumper will fall apart :)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
ah .. expensive .. now we are getting somewhere.. it's cost .. yes about it's £2.20 meter.

can you explain why using a non-toxic hose is a con ?

I think your intelligent enough to know why Jim and it’s not for the likes of me to to teach you otherwise, it’s personal experience and personal thoughts why we all think differently....

I’m happy the way I am, and as long as your happy the way you are then thats ok with me....:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We

I had a friend who was on the product development team for a hose manufacturer and unfortunately he loved to talk about his work which is why we use food grade hose.

With non food grade hose manufacture the source of this material PVC is not restricted or controlled and it normally consist of recycled PVC from other things such as soles of shoes or whatever. To reduce costs bulking materials such as chalk and clay are added to reduce the PVC content and again there are no regs or controls in place as to their source or health aspects.

PVC normally use phthalates in the plasticisers and these can damage the liver, kidneys, lungs, and reproductive system. The plasticizer leaches out a little into the water residue that remains in the hose each time between uses and is then flushed into the water tank on the next use and is one of the reasons that the water from a PVC hose tastes tainted.

Your choice, ours is food grade hose.

I use an x hose which are silicone.
These tend to squeeze most of the water out when shrinking back.
What is left in the hose is removed as I flush mine for a few seconds before filling the tank.

I also eat canned tuna and that’s got mercury in it apparently, I think I’m doomed :eek::)

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I use an x hose which are silicone.
These tend to squeeze most of the water out when shrinking back.
What is left in the hose is removed as I flush mine for a few seconds before filling the tank.

I also eat canned tuna and that’s got mercury in it apparently, I think I’m doomed :eek::)

An X hose would be to dangerous in my hand as I would likely garrotte myself with it and I will be stuffing my face with Brazil nuts and glowing in the dark this Christmas if the EU has not banded them as they are radio active. :D

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
That’s interesting, I was told the complete opposite sunlight encourages growth :)
they tested river water in Africa after 24 hours in plastic bottles in sunlight and it was drinkable. (so I read some years ago)

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
I don't avoid food-grade but nor do I think it's important enough to search for it.

fair enough.

but when someone asks what they should buy, irrespective of what it is, I always try to give the best advice and when it's a filling hose, will point them to the correct food-grade hose for drinking water ..

.. they can then make an informed decision and buy what they like, .. as you have done..

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We

I had a friend who was on the product development team for a hose manufacturer and unfortunately he loved to talk about his work which is why we use food grade hose.

With non food grade hose manufacture the source of this material PVC is not restricted or controlled and it normally consist of recycled PVC from other things such as soles of shoes or whatever. To reduce costs bulking materials such as chalk and clay are added to reduce the PVC content and again there are no regs or controls in place as to their source or health aspects.

PVC normally use phthalates in the plasticisers and these can damage the liver, kidneys, lungs, and reproductive system. The plasticizer leaches out a little into the water residue that remains in the hose each time between uses and is then flushed into the water tank on the next use and is one of the reasons that the water from a PVC hose tastes tainted.

Your choice, ours is food grade hose.
That is why I always flush out my hoses before I start filling the tank.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The one absolute rule I have is to NEVER trust a campsite hose. Same applies to hoses in Aires etc. I have witnessed too many times them being abused, shoved down a toilet, dragged across the dirt etc. I ALWAYS unscrew theirs and use my own.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
ah .. expensive .. now we are getting somewhere.. it's cost .. yes about it's £2.20 meter.

can you explain why using a non-toxic hose is a con ?
Surely what ever bugs are lurking in ordinary hose would also be lurking in super dooper hose.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
None
Surely what ever bugs are lurking in ordinary hose would also be lurking in super dooper hose.

Using a non-toxic hose is not about bugs.. it's about carcinogenic chemicals leaching into the water.. I though you would know that.

also..

irrespective of hose material it should be kept clean , good practice is to drain after use and flush before using and also cleaned regularly to prevent bugs.. that is good food hygiene practice.

as I said earlier.. given the choice ... why would you not buy non-toxic hose manufactured for food use. ?

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
The issue with garden hose is around it's composition. Potentially high lead and phthalates content. There's also concern around brass taps and connectors as these can have in the region of 10% lead content.
These can have an effect on reproductive development, liver and cancerous.

Oooops, as Jim said!:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
The issue with garden hose is around it's composition. Potentially high lead and phthalates content. There's also concern around brass taps and connectors as these can have in the region of 10% lead content.

phthalates!! I cant even say it let alone catch it:D2

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
To reduce costs bulking materials such as chalk and clay are added to reduce the PVC content and again there are no regs or controls in place as to their source or health aspects. Your choice, ours is food grade hose.

.......and are there food grade watering cans ........?

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
When did I say I used a watering can ?
Hey, chill, Dude!
You didn't! And neither did I. I was quoting your informative and knowledgeable post purely with regard to bulking materials and so posing the question about watering cans in case anyone had the answer. I have always used a proper 5L water carrier as I'm never under pressure to fill my tank and have never used a hosepipe. The walking to and fro' is good exercise. Besides, one meets the nicest people at the water tap, but a watering can might be more convenient.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Using a non-toxic hose is not about bugs.. it's about carcinogenic chemicals leaching into the water.. I though you would know that.

also..

irrespective of hose material it should be kept clean , good practice is to drain after use and flush before using and also cleaned regularly to prevent bugs.. that is good food hygiene practice.

as I said earlier.. given the choice ... why would you not buy non-toxic hose manufactured for food use. ?
Thanks for the reply and explanation, I would be more concerned about any bacteria in any hose than the possible affects from the material used, I've drunk water from a lot worse than a bit of garden hose..

However I respect your concerns and views and see no problem if it makes you feel better, I'd also add that like others we don't normally drink the water from our tank, it's 14 years old (the tank) and I've no Idea what the inside is like... though I do treat it with a purifying agent.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999

Pretty well every compression fitting and tap used in the domestic environment is made of brass?

Upvote 0

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Hey, chill, Dude!
You didn't! And neither did I. I was quoting your informative and knowledgeable post purely with regard to bulking materials and so posing the question about watering cans in case anyone had the answer. I have always used a proper 5L water carrier as I'm never under pressure to fill my tank and have never used a hosepipe. The walking to and fro' is good exercise. Besides, one meets the nicest people at the water tap, but a watering can might be more convenient.

Ok, hackles down, and defensive mode switch off.

No expertise on the subject only repeating back info retained in the grey matter from past conversations with said friend who worked for a hose manufacturer, so my watering can material content expertise is zilch.

Upvote 0

Enword

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I Always use food grade because I can taste the plastic from garden hose even when it's been boiled plus polyvinyl chloride (PVC), uses lead in the making of it that's why it not good to drink out of the garden hose when watering the plants.

Upvote 0
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
Most of the time we are not parked next to a water tap.. They are more often than not located close by the toilet disposal point. So we prefer to park further away. We fill up on arrival by pulling up next to the water tap and filling up with a 20' length of food grade hose pipe. On leaving pull up and dump our waste and fill up using the hosepipe as we leave. In between we have two watering cans (easier to carry two than to carry one) it saves a lot of shuffling around. I have lots of different adaptors to fit taps of all shapes and sizes very useful when wilding

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Pretty well every compression fitting and tap used in the domestic environment is made of brass?
Correct. Just like water main feed pipes used to be made of lead. Bet there's still a few houses with their rising main still in lead.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back