Timing/Cam Belt Replacement - Cost and Location (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
It would also help if the Make and Model were stated, I know all Fiat, Citroen, Peugeot, also some Ford engines all come out of Sevel , but some have variations I believe, may help when purchasing a Vehicle, I,m fortunate my Van has a timing chain.
Fiat

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I don't know? I was there in the summer having the work done. I know Becks have stopped trading a while back though?

I'm sorry, I think your right, I was getting them mixed up with Becks, both from near Gt Yarmouth?

Clive Mott

Funster
Nov 12, 2012
New Milton
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since 1972
There is a growing group of base vehicles that dont have cam belts that need regular replacement.. Start with Mercs, then that 3 litre Iveco engine.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We go to Ipswich Truck Services at Great Blakenham just to the west of Ipswich.
Addison Way, Great Blakenham, Ipswich IP6 0RL
01473 805710

Last October:
Replace Cambelt and Water Pump. £396 inc
Engine/running gear service £112 inc
Parts £357
All up including VAT £919

The motorhome looks silly up against Double Decker Buses, Tractor Units and like, but Colin always does a good job.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Hi z Peter the belts are extra and you need to ask for them
Anyone who removes any auxiliary belts to change a cam belt & reuses the old auxiliary belts should be out of business. Once you remove a belt a new one goes on. old one should only ever be used when no other choice on the roadside or in the desert.then only temporary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
The genuine Fiat kits I've seen don't include a new idler pulley bolt so I wouldn't want their kit used if I had a cambelt.

Michael Rennison

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Upton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti 700mx
Exp
Since 2016
Halfords Grantham including water pump
£828.90. Great work and the old water pump's bearings were on the way out.
Screenshot_20230226-204847.png

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
To be honest, I have yet to see any kit where one is included, and for that reason, I order it separately. :giggle:

All the kits I ordered from GSF for VAG cars in the family have come with idlers and the studs to suit.

Gates belts in the kit 👍

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
All the kits I ordered from GSF for VAG cars in the family have come with idlers and the studs to suit.

Gates belts in the kit 👍

dunnah01 was talking about Fiat kits and that is what my comment was about. GSF used to produce there own kit (probably still do) and mostly use recognised company OE produces (or at least they did when the were just German & Swedish?)

Sep 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Adriatik
Exp
Since 2013
Thoroughly recommend Alan Simpson 4 Limekiln Road Ayr, Ayrshire. 01292 280201.
Work carried out on my Fiat Ducato 2.3 Multijet. (09) August 22.
Replace timing belt and water pump £180
Full service £67.50
Timing belt kit £117.04
Water pump £70.93
Oil and fuel and air filters £47.47
MOT £45.00
Total including vat £672.53

Oct 30, 2008
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Hallam Brothers, Hayfield, High Peak. (Land Rover agents)
price in 2020. £737 including service,Timing belt and new battery.

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Someone is brave using Halfords!

Sadly the figures in this thread have started to become misleading and missing important details

e.g. someone says "Oil and fuel and air filters £47.47" but no mention if its genuine or 3rd party

My air filter and oil filter, genuine, are £47 - and oil alone is £70! (7L) - and my fuel filter is >£50 So we are certainly not comparing apples with apples.

(Personally, I'd only use genuine filters and exactly specified oil).

Of course, people can do what they want - but its not simply a case of comparing numbers.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Can I raise an observation on many of the posts ,
the prices are really only useful if the vehicle/ engine type is also posted.
Some models have different requirements that affect the price.

Apologies for being picky 🫣

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Personally, I'd only use genuine filters and exactly specified oil).

I’m afraid there’s no such thing as genuine filters and oils.

All are manufactured by other makers.
As far as I’m aware no vehicle manufacturer makes their own.

Many suppliers of filters including Fram, Bosch etc etc

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
I’m afraid there’s no such thing as genuine filters and oils.

All are manufactured by other makers.
As far as I’m aware no vehicle manufacturer makes their own.

Many suppliers of filters including Fram, Bosch etc etc
You are correct, but I mean the the filters/oil as supplied/recommended by the makers.
For instance, oil filters whilst made by others, and "OE spec" ones are available, tear downs show they are not quite upto OE standards, so for a few ££ why risk it? Youtube (I know I know, sorry) is full of comparisons of, say, Bosch vs Ford MoCo branded filters of the same "spec" and there are quality differences. Certainly enough for me to only use dealer provided parts on our newer vehicles.

Similar, oil, whist OE spec may be XYZ that does not mean all XYZ spec oils are created equally. Certain oils are tuned for specific engines by the manufactures. For instance, Castrol Magnatec has a specifc mixture for Ford Ecotec which "protects" the wet cambelt. Other oils of XYZ specification may not, and hence quite a few engine failures after garages have serviced the vehicles using other brand/bland of XYZ oil. (the belt deteriorates in non specific oil the debris blocks the oil pan pickup and starves engine of oil) and Not all 5W30 fully synthetic oils are the same.

And don't forget using cheaper generic garages does not get the Fiat Pro software update services that these vans need.,

Hey - don't get me wrong - our Puma I serviced with generic stuff; our fiesta I service with oil/filters direct from ford, te transit I did with ford parts, and the fiat will be going into Fiat (!) the engines are now too sensitive IMO - maybe not today, but for the long life etc. And its not like the issues are always known, e.g. it wasn't common knowledge that not using the correct Ford/Duckhams oil in the ecotech engines would cause issues until it started causing issues)

But in relation to this thread, people quoting cambelt & service without the detail means that accurate comparisons cannot be made based on price, and that was the point of my post. What choice people then make is each to their own.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You are correct, but I mean the the filters/oil as supplied/recommended by the makers.
For instance, oil filters whilst made by others, and "OE spec" ones are available, tear downs show they are not quite upto OE standards, so for a few ££ why risk it? Youtube (I know I know, sorry) is full of comparisons of, say, Bosch vs Ford MoCo branded filters of the same "spec" and there are quality differences. Certainly enough for me to only use dealer provided parts on our newer vehicles.

Similar, oil, whist OE spec may be XYZ that does not mean all XYZ spec oils are created equally. Certain oils are tuned for specific engines by the manufactures. For instance, Castrol Magnatec has a specifc mixture for Ford Ecotec which "protects" the wet cambelt. Other oils of XYZ specification may not, and hence quite a few engine failures after garages have serviced the vehicles using other brand/bland of XYZ oil. (the belt deteriorates in non specific oil the debris blocks the oil pan pickup and starves engine of oil) and Not all 5W30 fully synthetic oils are the same.

And don't forget using cheaper generic garages does not get the Fiat Pro software update services that these vans need.,

Hey - don't get me wrong - our Puma I serviced with generic stuff; our fiesta I service with oil/filters direct from ford, te transit I did with ford parts, and the fiat will be going into Fiat (!) the engines are now too sensitive IMO - maybe not today, but for the long life etc. And its not like the issues are always known, e.g. it wasn't common knowledge that not using the correct Ford/Duckhams oil in the ecotech engines would cause issues until it started causing issues)

But in relation to this thread, people quoting cambelt & service without the detail means that accurate comparisons cannot be made based on price, and that was the point of my post. What choice people then make is each to their own.
I can agree to a point but it’s not just a case of say 5/30 oil now it also comes with a number IE c 3 in the case of our Freelander oil (just had it done) but the garage charged almost £70 for 6 ltrs which I could have bought c3 Petronas oil for £56 =£10 ltrs . Also FLander cam belt was change at 10 years or 150 k miles but it’s the same engine as Citroen / Pugs Which is 5/6 years and around 6 years (don’t think miles will come into it on most MH s )😁

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
I had mine done along with full service including cleaning brake pads and MOT last year. £683 in total - Essex Auto Repairs (he didn't really think it would need doing or the water pump due to the milage) - 2016 Ducato.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Just been quoted £1075 for full service, cambelt and water pump

I'm terribly bored of asking for quotes in the Hereford area and can't be bothered driving gto Nottingham to a friends garage to save a few £200

dulvil

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
S.m.c. Newark, just under £1000 inc. mot and checking another small problem.
Inc. water pump and a good job done

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Adams Morey, Portsmouth cam & aux belts on an A Class £573.
Very surprised as i called Southampton Adams Morey 2 weeks ago and they quoted me £800 for the cambelt

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Mine is an A Class full price was £573 last June, I paid a £100 less than that as I'd had bit of agro with their service receptionist previously ( he is long gone).
Since then they have been taken over and labour rate has gone from £75 + vat to £115 +vat.
So price difference sounds about right for the increased labour rate.
Ah so this was last year, ignore my last post then as that is where the price difference is, they must of upped their prices like everyone else.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Very surprised as i called Southampton Adams Morey 2 weeks ago and they quoted me £800 for the cambelt which means they were going to rip me off, mine is also an A Class 2017, not sure i trust them now as my MOT is booked in with them next week.
I have mentioned a few times they were taken over and their labour rates went from £75 + VAT to £115 + VAT per hour I was probably one of the last to get it done at the old price. So £800 is about right.

Reactions: zac

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Just been quoted £1075 for full service, cambelt and water pump

I'm terribly bored of asking for quotes in the Hereford area and can't be bothered driving gto Nottingham to a friends garage to save a few £200
If that's genuine Fiat professional garage that's a good price.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes

Not guaranteed as shown here, I know it’s motorcycle related but very informative. I stick to Mahle or Mann filters myself.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
La La Land
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
Camper UK Fiat £799 incl waterpump
I’ve got mine booked in for April with them. We’re you happy with their service and did they get it done in the day without having to leave it there, if you don’t mind me asking?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back