The resurrection of Doc, bringing a 20 year old neismann Bischoff Flair back to life after 12 years off road. (121 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
IMG_20240811_095934.jpg

You don't need the 5way relay.

On your diagram it has the 5 way relay I need to install. But what's the diode for
The diode only allows power in one direction.
So inserted into the wire between your electronic controller and your battery (isolating the power from the split charger travelling towards the battery).
Allows power to flow in the opposite direction providing 12v back to the controller for all the habitation electrics.

Mar 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor 590RL
Just smiffy so will there be a van shaped space outside your home soon ?
Just asking as I could do with a few things doing to my motorhome and I don't want you to be bored.
Don't worry, my electrics work so I won't need to plug into your house, my fridge/freezer works so I won't have to use yours, you won't need to cook me breakfast as I can cook my own and I don't have any dogs to eat your possessions :ROFLMAO:
Only joking Just smiffy you're a star (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The diode only allows power in one direction.
So inserted into the wire between your electronic controller and your battery (isolating the power from the split charger travelling towards the battery).
Allows power to flow in the opposite direction providing 12v back to the controller for all the habitation electrics.
I iz confused😵‍💫

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Garry Just smiffy though 'technically' [actually] disabled does more than most "able bodied" folk.
In awe.
I said to the couple who bought the van yesterday Gary is the most able disabled person I've ever met. I swear he does everything...nothing phases him he just gers stuck in there. Actually makes me embarrassed at times when I moan about stuff cause he just gets on with it.

However I never realised before just how restrictive it can be having legs. ..they get in the way at times .. I'm always struggling where to put my legs when trying to do some jobs lol.

He has an advantage there. I'm actually surprised that some jobs don't actually seek out people with physical disabilities as they'd be able to do them better than able bodied people

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And more than most able bodied folk too. Beats us hands down, not all but a lot of us have little understanding of electrics, somehow it doesn’t seem to fit well in ladies brains, wired wrongly 🤣
Don't be fooled garrys electrical knowledge is about on par with mine lol ...between us we can almost get it right lol

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't be fooled garrys electrical knowledge is about on par with mine lol ...between us we can almost get it right lol
Oh dear sounds like a mess for me to sort out. 🤣

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996

I said to the couple who bought the van yesterday Gary is the most able disabled person I've ever met. I swear he does everything...nothing phases him he just gers stuck in there. Actually makes me embarrassed at times when I moan about stuff cause he just gets on with it.

However I never realised before just how restrictive it can be having legs. ..they get in the way at times .. I'm always struggling where to put my legs when trying to do some jobs lol.

He has an advantage there. I'm actually surprised that some jobs don't actually seek out people with physical disabilities as they'd be able to do them better than able bodied people
I know what you mean about Garry’s ability to get stuck in Tam. When he installed my solar panel earlier in the year he could actually get into my wardrobe to drill the roof!!
IMG_2022.jpeg

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Let's see if we can lift your confusion.
Diodes only allows power to pass in one direction.
Cut the wire from your electrical control unit to the battery - assuming there is only 1 wire this will ensure that the internal charger(on hookup) and the split charger(with engine running) will not be trying to charge the hab battery.
Because that's the wire the charger and split charger are trying to use push power into the hab battery.

If you do this power will not be able to get back from the hab battery to operate the hab electrics.

Insert the diode between the cut ends.
The diode will NOT allow power towards the hab battery so no charge current will get to the hab battery.
Power can flow back from the hab battery to the hab electrical control unit when it needs to.

NB this only works where your solar controller and B2B are connected DIRECTLY to the hab battery.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Oh dear sound like a mess for me to sort out. 🤣
Ach it's going fine ..we just got confused by a couple of bits. That fridge playing up the other night had us thinking we'd done something wrong but we hadn't. The only other thing I wasn't sure of was this relay as I didn't think I could have both running but also don't want to cause issues with other bits. So this non closing relay thing seems to be what others have done so that looks easy enough once I've got it in front of me I'll follow the instructions on the offgrid page.

Other than that the only electrics in here I can't figure out is those lights in the bedroom. I'll be impressed if you can find thar problem.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I know what you mean about Garry’s ability to get stuck in Tam. When he installed my solar panel earlier in the year he could actually get into my wardrobe to drill the roof!!View attachment 953763
Yes I'm thinking about sending him inside the double floor with the reverse camera cable in his teeth lol 😆

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Let's see if we can lift your confusion.
Diodes only allows power to pass in one direction.
Cut the wire from your electrical control unit to the battery - assuming there is only 1 wire this will ensure that the internal charger(on hookup) and the split charger(with engine running) will not be trying to charge the hab battery.
Because that's the wire the charger and split charger are trying to use push power into the hab battery.

If you do this power will not be able to get back from the hab battery to operate the hab electrics.

Insert the diode between the cut ends.
The diode will NOT allow power towards the hab battery so no charge current will get to the hab battery.
Power can flow back from the hab battery to the hab electrical control unit when it needs to.

NB this only works where your solar controller and B2B are connected DIRECTLY to the hab battery.
Ah OK I understand

I've completely removed the big 240v charger now so that's obsolete. If I need 240v charge I have a plug in charger I can just clamp to battery.

The split relay though I think what you're saying would work on mine .

My solar and b2b are connected direct to battery they don't go near the standard distribution/control box.

But I've already ordered the 5 pin non closing relay now so will probably just go that route as it seems to be what a few others have done.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Northernraider
Tam, can you remind me what sim and/or data package you used in Turkey... ?
Will be there for a couple of weeks next month (non motorhome).
I just bought an e sim online

I will see if I can find a link.

I found it cheaper and far easier than trying to buy one locally

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Northernraider
Tam, can you remind me what sim and/or data package you used in Turkey... ?
Will be there for a couple of weeks next month (non motorhome).
There you go

25gb for £17

Other options available

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back