Tam &Toby do Europe ...Take two

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Could it be wheel bearings on the way out ?
One of mine went FOS, fixed by friendly Dave Newall (y)
It is quite common on Ducatos

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Tam check the long drive shaft for play at the g/box, mine went in Pau a couple years ago and destroyed the box, the 1st sign was vibration up the steering column,
Yeah I'll check them when I get it jacked up.
Could it be wheel bearings on the way out ?
One of mine went FOS, fixed by friendly Dave Newall (y)
It is quite common on Ducatos
It could be a few things and I'll check for bearing play too. But the brakes squeeling makes me think it's related but who knows I'll see what I find.
Mountains aren't kind to motorhomes!
Aye to be honest I was thinking that yesterday it's nice to take the odd drive through them but really does the van no favours between the low gear hill climbs then the steep on the brake declines. And I don't think the dogs were keen on the constant curves and bends ....not to mention the ear popping which I assume affects them too

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Stopped for a wee walk round a fortified village.
20190329_121035.jpg
20190329_121013.jpg
20190329_120943.jpg
20190329_120750.jpg
20190329_120714.jpg
20190329_122256.jpg
20190329_122216.jpg
20190329_122202.jpg
20190329_121833.jpg
20190329_121810.jpg
20190329_121702.jpg
20190329_121514.jpg
20190329_121444.jpg
20190329_121432.jpg
20190329_121316.jpg
20190329_121248.jpg
20190329_121201.jpg

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
In perpignon now with my wheel off in the auto parts carpark lol

Language barrier and for some reason they seemed to think I needed a camping car garage for brakes lol.

Once I finally used Google translate to tell them it was a fiat van we found the parts on computer but 2 choices of disc.

The disc is definately not turning freely it gets stuck at one point and it has really weird indentations on it in places so I think it's warped. Pads are still like new so I think I only need one disc so will try that first and see how it goes.

He has the parts here at least but not found a price yet

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Val 3 dogs

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Sounds like you're making some progress anyway Tam.
How's the 'cold'? I hope that's progressing toward a recovery too. Keep smiling.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Pads are still like new so I think I only need one disc so will try that first and see how it goes.
I'd change both discs even if reusing pads as that drivers side one was iffy looking when we looked & I'd suppose the other side would be the same.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I'd change both discs even if reusing pads as that drivers side one was iffy looking when we looked & I'd suppose the other side would be the same.

I agree.... always do both..

And really check those pads carefully as there could be something in them that cause it in the first place...

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Yes I've had to buy a pair of discs ...the pads are a little scuffed but I've cleaned them up at the minute as in this place the pads are as dear as the discs , I bought a pair of discs €119 it would have been €233 with the pads :eek: so I didn't get the pads as these still have 12mm on them.

I've changed one disc at the minute and it seems to have solved the problem. I'll change the other once I've found a good place to park as I was doing it in their carpark.

This is the disc I've removed ...some very weird markings it almost looks like it had been hit with a hammer.
20190329_145048.jpg
20190329_152117.jpg

So I'm off to find somewhere to park up and I'll see if the noise etc has now gone.

Oh and I desperately need 2 front tyres lol

It never ends.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Valeo 59€/pair on Oscaro showing as up to 190€ otc.
Dearest , Delphi , at 187€ ??
All shown as sold in pairs.
As far as I can see only difference is in whether alloys are fiteed or not.Differnt types of disc according to this

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Yes I've had to buy a pair of discs ...the pads are a little scuffed but I've cleaned them up at the minute as in this place the pads are as dear as the discs , I bought a pair of discs €119 it would have been €233 with the pads :eek: so I didn't get the pads as these still have 12mm on them.

I've changed one disc at the minute and it seems to have solved the problem. I'll change the other once I've found a good place to park as I was doing it in their carpark.

This is the disc I've removed ...some very weird markings it almost looks like it had been hit with a hammer.
View attachment 293380

So I'm off to find somewhere to park up and I'll see if the noise etc has now gone.

Oh and I desperately need 2 front tyres lol

It never ends.

That is caused by someone having laid into the brakes then sitting stopped with there foot on the pedal .
It causes a localised hot spot which cannot dissipate the heat the same as the rest of the disc can all the while the pedal is held down.Even worse & easier done on ventilated ones.
Your mountain climbing has just finished it off.:LOL:That's why I always use the handbrake.
If you remember there where minute hairline cracks in line with the rust marks.
If they haven't got worse than they were here I'd bung them on the back until you can get some & get that tracking checked as well as the passenger side was definitely wearing more inside than the drivers

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Pads average is 40 >60€ so around doble otc is about par for the course.

I can find sets for 20,76€ if you want spares :rofl:

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
That is caused by someone having laid into the brakes then sitting stopped with there foot on the pedal .
It causes a localised hot spot which cannot dissipate the heat the same as the rest of the disc can all the while the pedal is held down.Even worse & easier done on ventilated ones.
Your mountain climbing has just finished it off.:LOL:That's why I always use the handbrake.
If you remember there where minute hairline cracks in line with the rust marks.
If they haven't got worse than they were here I'd bung them on the back until you can get some & get that tracking checked as well as the passenger side was definitely wearing more inside than the drivers
Yes these are vented discs ...only seems to be the outer edge affected...But certainly the new one has eradicated the juddering.
I still have the diff whine noise when driving though so I can only guess it's just wear on gearbox or those scrappy Michelin tyres.
The pass from them were working out over €100 which is ridiculous.

The drivers side tyre is worn on inside too so think I need tracking done and two new front tyres but I'm not fitting camping ones.
Problem is I also have that leaky strut which won't help and I really need those replaced too. Looks like I'm just going to have to grin and bare it and have them done too.

Really I should have just got tyres when I was at your place I never really gave it much thought but they aren't legal now.

So anyway I've parked up here for tonight.
Screenshot_20190329-164325_park4night.jpg
Screenshot_20190329-164334_park4night.jpg

I now need to decide whether my best option is to go back across border to Spain for tyres etc or have them done in France.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Going by the lip on the discs they were well past their best anyway !
For tyres have a look on Ebay , you can get some considerable savings , I often buy out of Germany , although the head office is in Witney , Oxfordshire ? @Northernraider

kelpie

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
The noise hopefully is the worn tyres (y). On my taxi you can tell when tyres are beginning to wear by increased road noise . As soon as the new fronts are on the car sounds completely different. Is the strut leaking , or what some call sweating, if it's wet it's a leak , a "stain" hopefully is a sign it isn't a bad leak yet so may do until you get home. Here's hoping(y)(y)
John

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
For tyres have a look on Ebay , you can get some considerable savings , I often buy out of Germany , although the head office is in Witney , Oxfordshire ? @Northernraider
There wasn't actually a lip on them, I think the discs and pads were changed fairly recent as when @gus-lopez And I checked them last month the pads had approx 15mm on them and they have 18mm new

Just surface rust on the discs that's it that's why didn't do anything bad check them at that point.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
No good eBay for tyres as I'm in France at the minute and touring another 7 or 8 months yet if all goes to plan

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
The noise hopefully is the worn tyres (y). On my taxi you can tell when tyres are beginning to wear by increased road noise . As soon as the new fronts are on the car sounds completely different. Is the strut leaking , or what some call sweating, if it's wet it's a leak , a "stain" hopefully is a sign it isn't a bad leak yet so may do until you get home. Here's hoping(y)(y)
John
The struts leaking and actually has drips coming from it , must have been the speedbumps and rough roads in Spain as passed not with no issues in January .
Van was trouble free till about a month ago and then it's been one thing after another. But it's all maintenance stuff really so to be expected...Im just over worrying about my travel budget lol.
It's the Scotsman in me.

I'll need to get 2 struts done, wheel tracking and two tyres on the front.
It will also need a service oil change soon and I'm wondering if my gearbox oil may need topped up or changed.

I'll go to a couple of tyre places tomorrow and see what they have. I don't want camoing tyres I'd rather get a pair of commercial winter tyres fitted as I'll need those of in Germany November time.

kelpie

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E745
Exp
3 years
Hope it's not too hard on the budget . Dress up as an orange seller , make a few quid , they have similar in Thailand seemingly:D. When it gets near the point of no return , hit him with your jack handle and empty his wallet . With any luck he'll think he's been gassed:D:D:D.
Good luck .............at the tyre place obviously(y)(y)(y)(y).
John

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sorry to hear about your woes at least doesn't appear to be anything major.
Agree about the tyres I don't rate camping tyres they are made for people who can't be bothered to use there vans and leave them sitting around all year.
I'd put 4 new tyres on, not advisable to put winter tyres on the front only and I think that will be illegal in most countries apart from the UK.
I think everything will be cheaper in Spain everything is an arm & leg in France now days.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Sorry to hear about your woes at least doesn't appear to be anything major.
Agree about the tyres I don't rate camping tyres they are made for people who can't be bothered to use there vans and leave them sitting around all year.
I'd put 4 new tyres on, not advisable to put winter tyres on the front only and I think that will be illegal in most countries apart from the UK.
I think everything will be cheaper in Spain everything is an arm & leg in France now days.
The two rear Michelins are like new though and I don't need the added expense at the minute. As far as I'm aware as long as tyres match on the same axle they are fine no reason why they shouldn't.
I'll see what they say tomorrow but I want 2 commercial mud and snow fitted and the alignment done.
If I can I'll leave the strut till I'm in Italy as due an oil change it 2 thousand miles so I'll get a service done then and get struts changed, gearbox oil checked or changed and dare I say it brake fluid changed also.
I'm hoping it being fiat Italy will be easier ...needs doing anyway so will have to.
But struts isnt an easy job :(

But front tyres need done right now so I've found a eurotyres place about 11k from here open tomorrow so will go there and see.

spitfire

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The two rear Michelins are like new though and I don't need the added expense at the minute. As far as I'm aware as long as tyres match on the same axle they are fine no reason why they shouldn't.
I'll see what they say tomorrow but I want 2 commercial mud and snow fitted and the alignment done.
If I can I'll leave the strut till I'm in Italy as due an oil change it 2 thousand miles so I'll get a service done then and get struts changed, gearbox oil checked or changed and dare I say it brake fluid changed also.
I'm hoping it being fiat Italy will be easier ...needs doing anyway so will have to.
But struts isnt an easy job :(

But front tyres need done right now so I've found a eurotyres place about 11k from here open tomorrow so will go there and see.
Check in line too fir Norauto. We got our last van tyres there for a good price . U can check prices on line

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
For Germany they need the Alpin/snowflake rating, not just M&S.
Is that all of germany all year round?

Not sure if I'll ever get there depends how time goes etc but id have liked to visit bavaria .....But depends when as if it's winter and cold I might not ha ha

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 8000ib
Exp
AirOn and off since 95
Check in line too fir Norauto. We got our last van tyres there for a good price . U can check prices on line
Thanks for that ...there's one closer to.me than the other place and opens at 8am tomorrow.

Checked online and not too bad priced

Both these are alpin rated apparently

Screenshot_20190329-195330_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190329-195356_Samsung Internet.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back