Special award ⚠️ (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
Customer pulls up for an LPG fill up to their Underslung tank , I noticed the tank looked a bit corroded so took a closer look and informed the customer that there was no way that I will fill their tank.
Our fitter comes out to inspect it and to advise on what’s required as I was wearing clean clothes and didn’t want to lie down under the van ( getting older ) 😂
So it’s actually far worse than I saw at first glance, not only is the tank seriously corroded but on closer inspection one of the straps has snapped off and the other is pretty close to snapping too .
Owner was told he shouldn’t continue with their journey but chose to ignore and set off stating that it would be ok and they were going to use the remaining gas up ⚠️
I won’t post the words that we used but you can imagine.
Unbelievable.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
There is the law of natural selection, survival of least stupid but there is also the effect on people in range of collateral damage, one thinks there ought to be a means to report the dangerous vehicle & get him pulled off the road by some brave police officer who's willing to get close enough.

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
There is the law of natural selection, survival of least stupid but there is also the effect on people in range of collateral damage, one thinks there ought to be a means to report the dangerous vehicle & get him pulled off the road by some brave police officer who's willing to get close enough.
Exactly what we said today, an MOT station is one of the few places that can issue a prohibition notice on a vehicle.

Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
If in your professional opinion, you felt the vehicle was a danger. Then there's only one course of action. IMHO, tell the police. Hopefully it'll get picked up on anpr and a moving time bomb will be off the road until repaired. In fact i'd tell the police before a forum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
That does sound dangerous.

But there’s always the other side of the coin.
Customer pulls in with a tank that looks in lovely condition, professionally fitted by Autogas 2000, customer inspects it every year, sprays it every year, van is kept in a warm garage throughout the year when not used. I’ve just had to tell him he can’t fill it and he needs a new tank because it’s just come upto 10 years old.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Just thinking... these tanks aren't listed in th MoT, I presume, so is it anybody's job to check/test them unless the owner decides to ask? & how often should that be?

I've recently(ish) bought our first 'van with underslung LPG, nobody told me it needs checking in any way so this is a good prompt to think about it so thank you Basildog

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Just thinking... these tanks aren't listed in th MoT, I presume, so is it anybody's job to check/test them unless the owner decides to ask? & how often should that be?

I've recently(ish) bought our first 'van with underslung LPG, nobody told me it needs checking in any way so this is a good prompt to think about it so thank you Basildog
It doesn’t matter an apath what condition it’s in, if it’s 10 years old apparently it needs to be chucked away and a new one fitted.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp

Wouldn't it be covered by the corrosion or damaged
body-work rules within the test ?

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Exactly what we said today, an MOT station is one of the few places that can issue a prohibition notice on a vehicle.
Exactly. So where is the MOT for this vehicle? Those tanks don't get in that state overnight - it would be a few years of degradation that should easily be picked up at the MOT station. Should have got the number plate and done some research.

OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
If in your professional opinion, you felt the vehicle was a danger. Then there's only one course of action. IMHO, tell the police. Hopefully it'll get picked up on anpr and a moving time bomb will be off the road until repaired. In fact i'd tell the police before a forum.

Exactly. So where is the MOT for this vehicle? Those tanks don't get in that state overnight - it would be a few years of degradation that should easily be picked up at the MOT station. Should have got the number plate and done some research.
It was an extremely busy afternoon, we were short staffed and playing catch up all day , there certainly wasn’t time to get involved, in fact we didn’t even realise the vehicle had driven away,
The owner was given the opportunity of having the tank safely removed from the vehicle or leaving it in the carpark to have recovered.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Shame you don't have a hotline to DVSA to slap a Prohibition Notice on the vehicle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Wouldn't it be covered by the corrosion or damaged
body-work rules within the test ?
But it's not part of the original vehicle so why would they check it on an MOT?

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
But it's not part of the original vehicle so why would they check it on an MOT?
I no longer have my book but I ‘think’……

It would come under parts, insecure, dangerous, defective.

I think it also is now included within mot but only a visual inspection, not a pressure check etc.

If it’s been added to, and forms part of the vehicle, then if it becomes a danger it would be included.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
It doesn’t matter an apath what condition it’s in, if it’s 10 years old apparently it needs to be chucked away and a new one fitted.
You're quoting that as if it's a legal law. Which I don't dispute but I never heard it before. In the absence of evidence to the contrary I suspect the one on my 'van hadn't been changed in the year before I bought it as an 11yr old (the 'van, not me😁) so maybe I should raise a complaint against the seller?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Basildog

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
But then it wouldn't have fallen off, if the tank had been secured as advised (if that conversation took place?)
The only correct advice is to remove the tank from the vehicle.
I can’t advise to do a temporary fix because I know that the mounting requirement for a tank is that it’s able to withstand 20 G forward impact and 8 G side impact.
We are actually unusual as a company in that regard as customers do get to talk to people with qualifications and experience.

Apr 9, 2024
Funster No
MH
Timberland Endeavour
Booked a habitation check on my new(to me) PVC a fortnight ago . When he checked the gas tank he said he couldn't continue as it was too old.....
Going to GAS-IT on Tuesday for a new one.
Can't gamble with safety......
Cheers, Dave

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just thinking... these tanks aren't listed in th MoT, I presume, so is it anybody's job to check/test them unless the owner decides to ask
The tester informed me of a loose metal strap on my RV underslung tank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back