Spain or Portugal pros and cons (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Hi bobnick.
£13......... ONE night on a Club site money..? ....Come on...... I will print this again. £ 13 speeding fine......... IF you divide ALL the times you have been speeding and NOT caught,by 13............... It may work out that they owe you money............ MISS PORTUGAL for the sake of £13 ?
" DON'T BE AWAY ' TILL YOUR BACK !!!! " (y) 🚛:drinks:.
Tea Bag...........
Not speeding, believe it was for going over a bridge and not paying the small toll, less than €2 i think, balance made up of late payment and fine.
No plans to visit Portugal again.

Aug 19, 2015
Windermere
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
15 years
Five years ago we spent a quiet night on a clean motorway service place in Portugal only to find that the next day at the end of that road we’d been charged E250.00 because of the length of time we’d been. Gave up trying to pay it though (police station, post office etc) and have heard nothing since.

Jan 9, 2015
Wells
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Portugal is a fascinating country with a lot of history.
However their toll system is complicated so I would suggest an Emovis Tag or similar to cover yourself. Available at a discount thru CAMC I believe.
Also following an episode with LPG I hear that you can no longer fill Gaslow refillable LPG tanks in Portugal.
Also caution with food as their butchers use axes not saws so meat can have bone splinters!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
We have an Emovis Tag for France. Barrier has always lifted although sometimes a bit worrying. Some times it lift's as far away as 10mts, other times i am almost touching the barrier before it lifts. Wouldn't be without it.
Don't won't need one for Portugal as wont be going again.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yet another fine through the letterbox today. The 5th. 4 for the MH and 1 for Dolly. Only €13 and it all tallys.
Got to be the last one surely.
Won't be going to Portugal again that's for sure.
Not got the balls to BIN it. We have checked and re checked, they are gen.
I have had 3 speeding fines..1 in Spain 2 in France..BUSBY

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
One more Busby and you will be stopped from boarding at your point of departure... here in Spain we are a law abiding country...well outside Marbella/Malaga we are...🇪🇦🥳👍😃
Would not mind but they were all in 50 mph limits..don't often exceed 55mph.BUSBY

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
We love Spain, but how they put up with some of arrogant/ demanding people from some other countries I do not know, even having a verbal go at me about us coming out of EU these people from two EU countries were insulting , I never mention politics when abroad unless they have a go at me the I come out all guns blazing !!

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
I’ve never experienced people from other countries having a go at me about the EU. Some have been genuinely interested in why we left and I have to tell them it didn’t make sense to me either. Some seem quite sad we have left but never had anyone ‘have a go’.

I was in France the day after the vote and we were surprised how many came over and said the were sorry we were going. Some said they hoped France would do the same. No one was angry.

In my experience many are just trying to get their heads around it.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I was shouted at by a very angry French woman once when I was parked up by the Arade lake near Silves... all because of the silly people who believed the lies and voted to leave... :whistle2:

JJ :cool:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I've established a new identity....although we live in Spain drive Spanish vehicles and look Spanish (Not) I am quickly recognised as being someone from a English speaking country...I'm quite often asked where am I'm from....I can convince some Spaniards that I'm from Murcia...most other nationalities comment, just how good my English is....I can string them along endlessly....
But now I've decided to come clean and openly tell anyone who may ask..."I'm from New Zealand" that instantly stops them dead...some may know where it is, but nobody knows anything about it....our extended holiday in Australia in 2002 has left me with an instant switch to a Gold coast twang...I can use this to substantiate my origins....😂

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Portugal is a fascinating country with a lot of history.
However their toll system is complicated so I would suggest an Emovis Tag or similar to cover yourself. Available at a discount thru CAMC I believe.
Also following an episode with LPG I hear that you can no longer fill Gaslow refillable LPG tanks in Portugal.
Also caution with food as their butchers use axes not saws so meat can have bone splinters!
When did this ban come into force ?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
When did this ban come into force ?
Hi.
Two Petrol stations have refused to let me fill my " Underslung " tank .....since 2009. As posted early,there is one petrol station we pass on the way to Praia de Mira that has enough LPG/GPL adapters that a " UFO " could land and would be able to refill.
Tea Bag

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Hi.
Two Petrol stations have refused to let me fill my " Underslung " tank .....since 2009. As posted early,there is one petrol station we pass on the way to Praia de Mira that has enough LPG/GPL adapters that a " UFO " could land and would be able to refill.
Tea Bag
I’ve only been refused at the Jumbo Lagoa which is now Auchan, filled no problem at Vale de Parra in May.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
I’ve never experienced people from other countries having a go at me about the EU. Some have been genuinely interested in why we left and I have to tell them it didn’t make sense to me either. Some seem quite sad we have left but never had anyone ‘have a go’.

I was in France the day after the vote and we were surprised how many came over and said the were sorry we were going. Some said they hoped France would do the same. No one was angry.

In my experience many are just trying to get their heads around it.
Well on a Spanish campsite we surrounded by Germans and Dutch most very nice some brought up Brexit, one German called us stupid to leave and told me we were now all poor!! I told him only, well you can pay our contribution to the EU and and a few other choice words left it at that.We do expect respect from others and we give respect to others unless they run UK down.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Well on a Spanish campsite we surrounded by Germans and Dutch most very nice some brought up Brexit, one German called us stupid to leave and told me we were now all poor!! I told him only, well you can pay our contribution to the EU and and a few other choice words left it at that.We do expect respect from others and we give respect to others unless they run UK down.
Should have told him Germany were not clever in 1939 after what happened in 1914 18...BUSBY

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I've established a new identity....although we live in Spain drive Spanish vehicles and look Spanish (Not) I am quickly recognised as being someone from a English speaking country...I'm quite often asked where am I'm from....I can convince some Spaniards that I'm from Murcia...most other nationalities comment, just how good my English is....I can string them along endlessly....
But now I've decided to come clean and openly tell anyone who may ask..."I'm from New Zealand" that instantly stops them dead...some may know where it is, but nobody knows anything about it....our extended holiday in Australia in 2002 has left me with an instant switch to a Gold coast twang...I can use this to substantiate my origins....😂
I do the same with Time Share salespeople.
Confuses the hell out of them.

Oct 25, 2023
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Only since April 2024 (but caravanning since 2020)
Oct 25, 2023
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
The solution to the Portuguese (and remaining Spanish, most of which are in the north) tolls is to get a Fulli Tag.
You get it posted to you a few weeks in advance.
You stick it to your windscreen.
All tolls are paid.

Do not use the barrierless 'fast' lane at the tolls.
Go through via the barrier.
The Fulli tag will open the bar and your Fulli tag will go 'ping'.

Be aware we found a number of toll roads in Portugal with no signing (that we saw) to say you are entering a toll road.
Also no barriers or toll booths.
Just an overhead gantry that charges you X many cents to drive to the next exit.
It means your Fuli tag goes 'ping' at every exit.

Given the choice of Portugal and Spain, I'd go with Portugal
Last year I tried to pay a Portuguese toll at a post office in a small village without success because of the language barrier. They did eventually send me a fine of about £2.50 for the toll, and £12 admin charge! 😡 My bad.

This year I bought the Fulli tag in France at the start of our 16 weeks tour to use in France and Italy. So easy to buy. Just wonderful to use and hear the ping. When we go to Spain and Portugal next, via France, it will work in all those countries also. Best thing since sliced bread! 😁 Until you get the charge on your bank statement! 🤭🤣

I should add, guide books tell you to register to pay tolls in Portugal as soon as you enter the country from Spain. Ha ha! We never saw or found the so called registration machines anywhere.

Oct 25, 2023
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Monsaraz aire was stunning 😍
Lots of lovely Aires in the Alentejo.

I love both countries, but definitely prefer the cheaper Portuguese red wines than rhe cheaper Spanish ones.
And vinho Verde is a delight at lunchtime
View attachment 926050
We went to Monsaraz last year in April by car on a day trip but stsyed with our then caravan in Evora. Just look at that view too! I didn't know that parking was an aire.

I'm also a big fan of Alentejo wines, and red wines of Portugal in general. They use many unusual grape varieties in their wines that give such body and depth. And couldn't agree with you more about vinho Verde lower alcohol wines for lunch!!

We stayed at an amazingly cheap aire in the Duoro region for €3 a night with water, ehu and toilets on the banks of the Douro River! What an area and excellent aire with a view. Again we took the car into the Douro valley. Spectacular views on every bend. So beautiful. Who would have thought?

Using wine routes as a base for touring is an excellent way of seeing a country. Recently stopped in Alsace too. Eguisheim. Then there's the Loire and Rhine last year also, Tuscany, Sicily, Puglia and more this year.... I ❤️ motorhoming!! And enjoy this forum. Thanks all. 👏

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Last year I tried to pay a Portuguese toll at a post office in a small village without success because of the language barrier. They did eventually send me a fine of about £2.50 for the toll, and £12 admin charge! 😡 My bad.

This year I bought the Fulli tag in France at the start of our 16 weeks tour to use in France and Italy. So easy to buy. Just wonderful to use and hear the ping. When we go to Spain and Portugal next, via France, it will work in all those countries also. Best thing since sliced bread! 😁 Until you get the charge on your bank statement! 🤭🤣

I should add, guide books tell you to register to pay tolls in Portugal as soon as you enter the country from Spain. Ha ha! We never saw or found the so called registration machines anywhere.
If you enter Portugal on the A49 from Seville direction you can't fail to miss the registration machines, I might look into getting the Fulli tag for our trip next month.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
If crossing into Portugal via a non- tourist route and joining the non- toll booth pay motorway system, say mid stream....there is no provision to register a foreign registered vehicle..
In my opinion the authorities didn't think the system through too well...and in the early days of introduction it had many failings..
Fortunately great improvements have been made and windscreen activated devices appear to be a good option..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back