Spain or Portugal pros and cons (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Portugal have 3 different toll systems. They record your number plate or you can pay in advance or carry a device recording your motorway use. A few of the entrances to Portugal have possibility to register your credit card. Fine comes to UK if not paid.

Oh, ok. It sounds ok to me :)

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Portugal has clamped down (really heavily) on wild camping, forcing people into overcrowded campsites and Aires. It's still a wonderful country to tour (but not as wonderful as it used to be).

Spain will probably go the same way.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Portugal has clamped down (really heavily) on wild camping, forcing people into overcrowded campsites and Aires. It's still a wonderful country to tour (but not as wonderful as it used to be).

Interesting...

"clamped down (really heavily)"

I have yet to experience this... and I live in my van fulltime in Portugal (and have done so for decades!)

I just don't know where Folk get these scare stories from... maybe from ex-pat newspapers.

JJ :cool:

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We love both - when we very first went into Northern Portugal from Spain, the first thing we noticed was how much calmer and quieter it seemed. And things happen earlier in the evenings.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Having toured Europe since the early seventies, I had a good idea where we could retire too, at the end of the nineties, we chose Spain. Without doubt one of the most diverse European countries I know.
We have spent so much of our leisure and sporting time in Portugal, integrated well and have many friend there....
Portugal is a interesting place, the language is challenging the people are quite open, but they can be serious too.
And in parts of Portugal it's possible to see a top of the range BMW parked in a village adjacent to a field being ploughed with horse or bullock...there is a mix of wealth and poverty there.
So to sum up....Spain gets my vote...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Does Tam like drag acts ? :giggler:
Now Now Trevor.
rosalan we love both and the toll system isn't all that bad we set off for Spain every year saying we will give Portugal a miss but never do, sometime wish it was possible to do the other 😉
We did leave Portugal last year as it got too hot and headed for Murcia. Again.
To be fair we did try a fair number of places we hadn't been to before.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Not long got the book a look through and 90 percent

not that long we have all the aires and not many stood out. Just my opinion
We had one a few years ago, hardly worth the paper it was written on. many out of date or last reviewed many years ago. i much prefer Search4sites and do look at park4night
Bought a new French All the aires, used some but should have saved my money for a few bottles of nice wine.
However we are all different, there are places i love and others hate, some i dislike and others love and many i can take or leave.
hopefully means we all get somewhere to go.

OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I find the national loyalties odd as an English person. One place we stayed 8k from Spanish border the campsite owner would not shop in Spain,where he admitted goods were cheaper.
We broke down in Portugal where nationally repairs were not available and breakdown service could not phone Spanish dealer as at the time they had nobody who spoke Spanish.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I find the national loyalties odd as an English person. One place we stayed 8k from Spanish border the campsite owner would not shop in Spain,where he admitted goods were cheaper.
We broke down in Portugal where nationally repairs were not available and breakdown service could not phone Spanish dealer as at the time they had nobody who spoke Spanish.
No way does this apply to French people...the shops, towns and villages that border Spain are rammed with bargain hunters..
I have noticed a little coldness between Spain and Portugal in the past... especially in Sporting events...🤭.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
No way does this apply to French people...the shops, towns and villages that border Spain are rammed with bargain hunters..
I have noticed a little coldness between Spain and Portugal in the past... especially in Sporting events...🤭.
And Scottish lol. When I toured the east side of Portugal I crisscrossed back and forth over the border to buy diesel and food shopping in Spain lol. I like Portugal but the supermarkets are shit. And the fuel was considerably more expensive, also much harder to find free parkups on the coast. So Spain gets my vote for now

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Does Tam like drag acts ? :giggler:
This comment from Landy Andy. 😉
IMG_8247.jpeg

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
And Scottish lol. When I toured the east side of Portugal I crisscrossed back and forth over the border to buy diesel and food shopping in Spain lol. I like Portugal but the supermarkets are shit. And the fuel was considerably more expensive, also much harder to find free parkups on the coast. So Spain gets my vote for now
I love Portuguese supermarkets, great wine, bread and proper chicken. Also you get Aberdeen Angus beef that you don’t get in Scotland plus Porco Preto.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I might be mistaken but it seems to me that Mr Simon Meadwell has given advice to a thread asking about Spain and Portugal based on what he saw in a book.

Apparently the aires look naff in Portugal.

They might not all be as good as ones in Stockport I but I know dozens and dozens of super Portuguese "aires".

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022
Funster No
MH
On Order.Carado V337
Did both at the begging of the year ...set Waze and sat nave to avoid tolls ..no issues. easy peasy re Airs and camping and just streets ahead of the UK and mostly free or a few euros ....5-6E so not bank breaking and some of the big supermarkets provide places with Free EHU in Spain.

WE DO NOT DO SITTING ON A CAMPSITE so moved constantly from one village to another and loved it, Evan as Spanish speaker I have to say Portugal was brilliant and the Portuguese so friendly the villages open to motorhomes.
Would have no qualms recommending both countries.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
No, I doubt it very much. The law recently changed in Spain and it is now legal to park up anywhere the van will fit and sleep inside. You are not allowed to put out awnings, tables, chairs or BBQs, but you can live in your van. There are a few places where it is specifically prohibited, but there are signs saying so. Other than that (using common sense of course) you can park where you wish.

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
I might be mistaken but it seems to me that Mr Simon Meadwell has given advice to a thread asking about Spain and Portugal based on what he saw in a book.

Apparently the aires look naff in Portugal.

They might not all be as good as ones in Stockport I but I know dozens and dozens of super Portuguese "aires".

No need fot that checking where i live then having a poke and its Simon not Mr Meadwell. Just my opinion thats all. And for your info we use the aires book take a look and tell me they look great.

• Funny
Reactions: JJ
Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
Interesting...

"clamped down (really heavily)"

I have yet to experience this... and I live in my van fulltime in Portugal (and have done so for decades!)

I just don't know where Folk get these scare stories from... maybe from ex-pat newspapers.

From experience!

Last two winters - admittedly high season - turned away from several full sites and Aires were, without exception, full to bursting. I suppose it's different if you want to risk fines (and always payable in cash, of course) or stay in places nobody wants to go.

When we'd visited Portugal several years previously it was a very different (and considerably more relaxed) story.

Outside high season may well be different, but after Portugal, Spain was very welcoming.

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
No, I doubt it very much. The law recently changed in Spain and it is now legal to park up anywhere the van will fit and sleep inside. You are not allowed to put out awnings, tables, chairs or BBQs, but you can live in your van. There are a few places where it is specifically prohibited, but there are signs saying so. Other than that (using common sense of course) you can park where you wish.

Well that's good news - maybe Spain still does see the benefit of encouraging people to contribute to their economy (unlike their westerly neighbours).

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
...turned away from several full sites and Aires

I am afraid I really don't understand how being turned away from sites and aires which are full constitutes as "Portugal clamping down on wild camping (really heavily)".

All I can say is I have "off-site motorhomed" all over Portugal (and still do) and no one has "clamped down" on me.

Then, of course, maybe it is because I don't use apps or guide books to find where to park up...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
No need fot that checking where i live then having a poke and its Simon not Mr Meadwell. Just my opinion thats all. And for your info we use the aires book take a look and tell me they look great.

Have you actually visited Portugal?

I might pay more attention to your "opinion" about the country if you have...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back