Spain or Portugal pros and cons (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
rosalan
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Simon, perhaps using one of the following guides could be helpful as they are mostly up to date with the latest reviews and pictures. Camper Contact. Park4Night. Search for sites.
We have been travelling for more than 40 years and also bought All the Aires etc. which are very helpful but a little expensive compared to the three live sites where the opinions of recent visitors and photos can be invaluable in helping you make decisions. Good luck!

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Oh the bickering lol.

Last time we "did" Spain and Portugal as part of a 2mth trip was 2008/2009 and a quick visit in 2011 as part of a 4mth trip.

So we were thinking of a revisit (that has been postponed a few times for other trips) around late Oct/Nov/early Dec timeframe but any thread I see has negative vibes about it - too many people, too full, not as good as it was etc etc, and it sort of flattens our enthusiasm. We're not overly campsite people, but do use some as would prefer to pay for a campsite in a place rather than public parking that looks like a motorhome graveyard, and prefer to bumble round and explore. Happy to overnight discreetly (not park for multi days in a car park) and leave no trace, but equally would not be comfortable doing so if the law or local populous is anti it. We do like beaches, but not ones full of other people :)

Didn't know Spain are now happy for discreet overnighting, last time I'm sure it was very much against it. (though understandable hear the beaches).

Struggling to be excited about it but running out of countries to visit in winter!

(PS - "All the aires books" - wow - blast from the past. Even a decade ago they were far from "all" the aires, and many were so out dated it was not worth the paper it was printed on - though had loyal following. the internet databases, love or hate, are the better way to get up to date info. But back in the day, before books and databases, it was much easier and less people in the same place. )

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
No not been yet my opinion was clear and only about the aires not the country pay attention.
There are many that condem places like Benedorm etc but have never been..Did the same myself with Salou...was dragged there by a friend..Made me realise you need to visit anywhere before commenting on it..BUSBY.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Didn't know Spain are now happy for discreet overnighting, last time I'm sure it was very much against it. (though understandable hear the beaches).
Spain has always distinguished between parking and camping .

If you're just parked , no ramps , no chairs etc outside and sometimes even no windows open if somewhere there's lots of people about then you've a right to be there.

The problem is people don't read the room and they park up somewhere visible and put chairs etc outside, the French and Germans being the worst as it seems they just can't eat inside or walk 100 yards to the beach or a bench to sit outside.

Unfortunately due to abuse there are some places now where there's a complete ban on parking a motorhime within 500 metres of the coast etc.

But there are always available places in Spain. Its just better to avoid the heard mentality at some spots .

Portugal however is a very different story

Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
There are many that condem places like Benedorm etc but have never been..Did the same myself with Salou...was dragged there by a friend..Made me realise you need to visit anywhere before commenting on it..BUSBY.
Only comment made was in the aires book the aires look a bit naff. Now this is getting construed i have commented on Portugal being naff which i didnt it was purely from looking at the book.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Only comment made was in the aires book the aires look a bit naff. Now this is getting construed i have commented on Portugal being naff which i didnt it was purely from looking at the book.
The aires books are naff. Out of date before they're printed. Better using apps.

Portugal isn't naff ..but Spain is far better.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Oh the bickering lol.

Last time we "did" Spain and Portugal as part of a 2mth trip was 2008/2009 and a quick visit in 2011 as part of a 4mth trip.

So we were thinking of a revisit (that has been postponed a few times for other trips) around late Oct/Nov/early Dec timeframe but any thread I see has negative vibes about it - too many people, too full, not as good as it was etc etc, and it sort of flattens our enthusiasm. We're not overly campsite people, but do use some as would prefer to pay for a campsite in a place rather than public parking that looks like a motorhome graveyard, and prefer to bumble round and explore. Happy to overnight discreetly (not park for multi days in a car park) and leave no trace, but equally would not be comfortable doing so if the law or local populous is anti it. We do like beaches, but not ones full of other people :)

Struggling to be excited about it but running out of countries to visit in winter!

(PS - "All the aires books" - wow - blast from the past. Even a decade ago they were far from "all" the aires, and many were so out dated it was not worth the paper it was printed on - though had loyal following. the internet databases, love or hate, are the better way to get up to date info. But back in the day, before books and databases, it was much easier and less people in the same place. )
October, November and early December....you choose well...the Spanish Costas are less crowded...
There are no relaxation in rules in Spain regarding overnighting...in fact the region we live in (Murcia) have passed laws to control this....but there are sufficient Camperstops, with plans to expand.
The busiest location in our region is in Murcia city....on a commercial centre, free, water and dump site....IKEA, Decathlon and fast food...nothing to do with visiting Spain but cheap and better weather than the northern Europe countries..
Coastal restrictions have been implemented....and so they should be...80 German motorhomes parked up for the whole winter on an Aire without permission...Berger off we say....

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Spain has always distinguished between parking and camping .

If you're just parked , no ramps , no chairs etc outside and sometimes even no windows open if somewhere there's lots of people about then you've a right to be there.

The problem is people don't read the room and they park up somewhere visible and put chairs etc outside, the French and Germans being the worst as it seems they just can't eat inside or walk 100 yards to the beach or a bench to sit outside.

Unfortunately due to abuse there are some places now where there's a complete ban on parking a motorhime within 500 metres of the coast etc.

But there are always available places in Spain. Its just better to avoid the heard mentality at some spots .

Portugal however is a very different story
We have some incredible overnight locations, also some rarely used Camperstops..
Where are they?, sorry, What did you say, it's a bad line, not a g--d signa ere....hello. are you the e....ne er m nd...who needs friends..

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
We're on a free motorhome area, with a good service point and, normally most important for us shade. Today is an exception, it's cloudy and cool 20° (a vast difference to our home county of Murcia at 40°+)

It's just 18km inland from the busy, rammed motorhome area of Foz. Is it busy here? Nope. Two of us last night, and so far, two (a different other one) here tonight.

There will always be quiet places to seek out in Spain, it's a big country. The problem is everyone wants the same bit, normally near water (coast or lake) or near a tourist town. Other than that you have a vast choice.

No problems with tourist overcrowding here, all the locals are more than friendly, one going out of his way to tell us about the local area as he spoke to us on the service point 😊

20240720132601_IMG_0010.JPG
20240720124541_IMG_0009.JPG

We travel Spain to visit, not sit on our bums on sand, so we can always find something of interest 🤣🤣

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
We're on a free motorhome area, with a good service point and, normally most important for us shade. Today is an exception, it's cloudy and cool 20° (a vast difference to our home county of Murcia at 40°+)

It's just 18km inland from the busy, rammed motorhome area of Foz. Is it busy here? Nope. Two of us last night, and so far, two (a different other one) here tonight.

There will always be quiet places to seek out in Spain, it's a big country. The problem is everyone wants the same bit, normally near water (coast or lake) or near a tourist town. Other than that you have a vast choice.

No problems with tourist overcrowding here, all the locals are more than friendly, one going out of his way to tell us about the local area as he spoke to us on the service point 😊

View attachment 925939View attachment 925938

We travel Spain to visit, not sit on our bums on sand, so we can always find something of interest 🤣🤣
I think that's the problem everywhere though. Certain places are promoted constantly so they recieve the most tourists and other places are desperate for them . I read an article the other day that was talking about the issues in Barcelona yet they were saying that nearby tarragona could really do with more tourists.

Well personally I like tarragona more than I ever liked Barcelona.. I didn't like Barcelona at all to be honest and I've only visited it the once and really only to see the sagrida.

Unfortunately not many motorhome parking options in tarragona .

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I think that's the problem everywhere though. Certain places are promoted constantly so they recieve the most tourists and other places are desperate for them . I read an article the other day that was talking about the issues in Barcelona yet they were saying that nearby tarragona could really do with more tourists.

Well personally I like tarragona more than I ever liked Barcelona.. I didn't like Barcelona at all to be honest and I've only visited it the once and really only to see the sagrida.

Unfortunately not many motorhome parking options in tarragona .

For us Tarragona would be too touristy, even though it's not as busy as Barcelona. We'd go inland. Even there has been spoiled since our first visits. Siurana used to be one of our climbing areas. The last time we went, by bike from Prades, it was a tourist trap 😡

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Not many options here in Tarragona as it is my base area (as some of you know) some few villages out of the coast, not much to do though. An example is El Masroig. More small villages in Castelló, like Morella (many of you been there also) or other less touristy and far from the coast.
We go a lot to Castelló and Teruel as it's within an hour or two from our base.

MaidinDevon

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 23, 2011
Bromyard, Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
since 2010
Monsaraz aire was stunning 😍
Lots of lovely Aires in the Alentejo.

I love both countries, but definitely prefer the cheaper Portuguese red wines than rhe cheaper Spanish ones.
And vinho Verde is a delight at lunchtime
Screenshot_20240721_174305_Gallery.jpg

Oct 5, 2021
Tropical Skelmorlie
Funster No
MH
Globecar 5.4 Shine
Exp
Since 2013
I am afraid I really don't understand how being turned away from sites and aires which are full constitutes as "Portugal clamping down on wild camping (really heavily)".

All I can say is I have "off-site motorhomed" all over Portugal (and still do) and no one has "clamped down" on me.

Then, of course, maybe it is because I don't use apps or guide books to find where to park up...

JJ :cool:

Wild camping in Portugal is now effectively illegal. Maybe you have just been very lucky not to meet police with outstretched palms. I have friends who have not been so lucky and, in one case, €100 lighter.

I hope you continue to avoid them.

I'm not going to risk it and would rather visit countries who make me feel welcome.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We love a few days in Valencia but I’ve just realised that’s been added to the cruise stop list “oh bu..er”, one of my gym buddies is very excited after me singing it’s praises over the years. We were there at the end of April for a few days on our way home and it’s so beautiful and you can still just stroll. How very selfish of me. I do love the buzz of cities as well of the countryside.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We love both - when we very first went into Northern Portugal from Spain, the first thing we noticed was how much calmer and quieter it seemed. And things happen earlier in the evenings.
Probably because they are on the same timezone as us so an hour ahead of Spain.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Yet another fine dropped in the post today for Portugal. €15.20 in Cortes.
Won't be going to Portugal again that's for sure.
Wonder how many more to come.
We have absolutely no issue with paying tolls IF we know how and if we know there is a charge.
How come we don't miss tolls in other countrys.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yet another fine dropped in the post today for Portugal. €15.20 in Cortes.
Won't be going to Portugal again that's for sure.
Wonder how many more to come.
We have absolutely no issue with paying tolls IF we know how and if we know there is a charge.
How come we don't miss tolls in other countrys.
Just bin them.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'd be looking over my shoulder all the time.

Only if you go back, surely?

We knew we had some fees to pay, Martin spent ages trying to sort it, but was unable to do so, because, according to them, we didn't owe anything 🤷‍♂️. We had a confirmation, so we left it. And shortly afterwards we sold the van anyway.

Apr 14, 2022
Carvoeiro, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Bavaria T71LP
Exp
50 years of boating, just one on motorhomes.
Interesting...

"clamped down (really heavily)"

I have yet to experience this... and I live in my van fulltime in Portugal (and have done so for decades!)

I just don't know where Folk get these scare stories from... maybe from ex-pat newspapers.

JJ :cool:
I live in Portugal. It is fair to say that if by 'wild camping' you mean parking at the beach then yes. In my experience, once you get more than a few kilometer's from the coast, nobody cares.

Smokaijo

LIFE MEMBER
May 15, 2023
Guildford, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 679
Exp
My partner & I are newbies and have a fully adapted motorhome for myself with my electric wheelchair
Did both at the begging of the year ...set Waze and sat nave to avoid tolls ..no issues. easy peasy re Airs and camping and just streets ahead of the UK and mostly free or a few euros ....5-6E so not bank breaking and some of the big supermarkets provide places with Free EHU in Spain.

WE DO NOT DO SITTING ON A CAMPSITE so moved constantly from one village to another and loved it, Evan as Spanish speaker I have to say Portugal was brilliant and the Portuguese so friendly the villages open to motorhomes.
Would have no qualms recommending both countries.
Out of interest are you in a big Moho as I have Waze for the car but it doesn’t cater for Moho??

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back