Seven Euros to enter the EU from May 2025 (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Yes I saw that we didn't pay but wasn't sure if we needed to actually apply
Only if you intend travelling to Schengen...if not.... don't apply.
Those that live in Schengen have Biometric ID....the UK doesn't...your application will provide this info.....and will be there to control your movements....🤓

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Booked our ferry for 23rd April next year, look like we saved 14 Euros for this trip at least.
7 Euros isnt that bad , it costs us £20 each for a visa each time we go to Egypt.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We are too, but I still have a British passport. My wife is Spanish. I wonder how that will be when we arrive in the UK next year.
you just give them the TIE resident card on the top of passport
Can’t remember if you are Spanish residents pre transition period or post, as in NLV ?
Pre transition under the WA
currently at airports we show both our passports and Residents card...
that is all I do at Dunkirk :TIE on top of passport hand them over & the French border guard hands them straight back without looking?

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Those that live in Schengen have Biometric ID....the UK doesn't...your application will provide this info.....and will be there to control your movements....🤓
UK passports have been fully biometric for over 15 years...

The application process is more just to collect additional information the passport does not such as fingerprints and link that to your biometric ID (the passport). This is why in US they don't need to take fingerprints on every visit now, as they can match the biometric in the passport to your photo (the biometric stored is an international standard for identifying a human via common things like distance between your eyes etc, from photo and the photo they take in front of you. Funnily enough these do not change with age etc.

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
That would be a relief

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
UK passports have been fully biometric for over 15 years...

The application process is more just to collect additional information the passport does not such as fingerprints and link that to your biometric ID (the passport). This is why in US they don't need to take fingerprints on every visit now, as they can match the biometric in the passport to your photo (the biometric stored is an international standard for identifying a human via common things like distance between your eyes etc, from photo and the photo they take in front of you. Funnily enough these do not change with age etc.
True...our EU identity cards have our fingerprints as well as our photo, signature and ID number...
When jumartoo arrived back into Spain from a short trip to the UK (By air) her ID card (TIE,) was scanned, not much attention was shown to her passport. 🇪🇺

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We are permanent residents pre transitional period.....As we have biometric ID we don't need to register...
What may be confusing is if we visit the UK, what procedures would be in place at Border Control for overseas visitors....or will this not be on exiting the UK but entering Schengen, currently at airports we show both our passports and Residents card...
Thanks. As you may well have read, residency wasn’t right for us at the time.

NLV does not suit. So we work with the 90 days to go to our house

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
"The Government have hoped this will not cause any addition disruption" ..........
I actually laughed at the news.
Newsreaders will be regretting their Michael 'No hurricane' Fish moment.

Anyone want to join me in a venture?

Every mile down the coast bound M20 I want to install a loo that you pay £1 to enter.
Next to each one there will be an ice cream or burger van concession.

We will have a captive audience! Thousands of vehicles trapped for days in the queue for the ferries.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
"The Government have hoped this will not cause any addition disruption" ..........

Every mile down the coast bound M20 I want to install a loo that you pay £1 to enter.

We will have a captive audience! Thousands of vehicles trapped for days in the queue for the ferries.
I'm not diasgreeing it'll be bad initially (it was in US too!). But you can see how it'll be less bad once fingerprints taken first time, as you don't need to take them every time (as US proved) by linking to the existing biometric data on the Passport, so it's a one time scan thing, then in future trips just validate, as you already have it.

However as proven by them once you have a viable system it becomes easier to handle via cameras -> Believe it or not, at US exit now, in airports with the system, you walk out via the gateline and your image alone opens the gate (as they know you on that plane).

They could do this on entry too, but the entry process now (assuming you see a human), is just look at this camera, bing, nope we don't need fingerprints we have them, welcome to the USA. It obviously takes longer for peopoe like my parents who on their first visit it took 1-2 mins to colelct all of their prints.

Remember a lot of people will be common visitors, and I suspect systems similar to Global Entry (in US) will emerge too within a year (if you have Global Entry, you can literally enter the USA via a machine in sub 20 seconds by scanning PP and your face).

Worth reading https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics/airports - > it's everywhere in US, and where entry and exit are listed as biometric, it's all photo based (so most of major international airports now covered).

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I'm not diasgreeing it'll be bad initially (it was in US too!). But you can see how it'll be less bad once fingerprints taken first time, as you don't need to take them every time (as US proved) by linking to the existing biometric data on the Passport, so it's a one time scan thing, then in future trips just validate, as you already have it.

However as proven by them once you have a viable system it becomes easier to handle via cameras -> Believe it or not, at US exit now, in airports with the system, you walk out via the gateline and your image alone opens the gate (as they know you on that plane).

They could do this on entry too, but the entry process now (assuming you see a human), is just look at this camera, bing, nope we don't need fingerprints we have them, welcome to the USA. It obviously takes longer for peopoe like my parents who on their first visit it took 1-2 mins to colelct all of their prints.

Remember a lot of people will be common visitors, and I suspect systems similar to Global Entry (in US) will emerge too within a year (if you have Global Entry, you can literally enter the USA via a machine in sub 20 seconds by scanning PP and your face).

Worth reading https://www.cbp.gov/travel/biometrics/airports - > it's everywhere in US, and where entry and exit are listed as biometric, it's all photo based (so most of major international airports now covered).
Pre-pandemic I was a very frequent airport traveller, so have used all the various entry systems for years.

I have alopecia, which means very few features on my face, no hairline, no eyebrows, which means the facial recognition has less points to try to recognise.
Iris scanners also do not work for those with 7+ on their eye prescription, and the finger prints scanners hate people with a history of eczema.

All of which I have, so every time in the past that I have tried the automated route I get pulled aside.
However coming into Heathrow last week, for the first time ever, it recognised my face!
I guess the technology is improving.

That is all well and good in a situation where you have foot passengers.
Therefore it will work in airports, it will work on Cruise ships,
if there is enough space, it can even be made to work in a railway station.

However how do you make it work in a ferry port ?
Especially one with very limited space and no room for expansion.

Every person out of every vehicle, to go on foot through a scanner, and then somehow rejoin their vehicle without getting mixed up with the new arrivals.
Even if you say the driver only remains with the vehicle and just the passengers pass through on foot you are going to need a large drop off area, and then and much larger collection area.

How do you deal with 20 coach loads arriving at the same time, as the process time, per coach, is 5 hours (60 people, 5 mins each with one scanner, or 30 mins with 10 scanners).
Even terminal 4 at Heathrow only has about 20 scanners and an army of staff and acres of buildings to deal with the people.
None of which will be available at Dover as their simply is not the space to build such as a facility.

(Boris's idea to build a Airport/ferry terminal/rail terminal/cruise terminal on the Goodwin Sands is now actually beginning to look sensible, although a single change in the rules could make it Europe's biggest White Elephant at a stroke)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

What about people who wear masks or Burkas?

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
It’s not what they want it’s what we asked for to be outside the club and be treated as a third party.
I bet you have one of these?

1724241436878.png

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Pre-pandemic I was a very frequent airport traveller, so have used all the various entry systems for years.

I have alopecia, which means very few features on my face, no hairline, no eyebrows, which means the facial recognition has less points to try to recognise.
Iris scanners also do not work for those with 7+ on their eye prescription, and the finger prints scanners hate people with a history of eczema.

All of which I have, so every time in the past that I have tried the automated route I get pulled aside.
However coming into Heathrow last week, for the first time ever, it recognised my face!
I guess the technology is improving.

That is all well and good in a situation where you have foot passengers.
Therefore it will work in airports, it will work on Cruise ships,
if there is enough space, it can even be made to work in a railway station.

However how do you make it work in a ferry port ?
Especially one with very limited space and no room for expansion.

Every person out of every vehicle, to go on foot through a scanner, and then somehow rejoin their vehicle without getting mixed up with the new arrivals.
Even if you say the driver only remains with the vehicle and just the passengers pass through on foot you are going to need a large drop off area, and then and much larger collection area.

How do you deal with 20 coach loads arriving at the same time, as the process time, per coach, is 5 hours (60 people, 5 mins each with one scanner, or 30 mins with 10 scanners).
Even terminal 4 at Heathrow only has about 20 scanners and an army of staff and acres of buildings to deal with the people.
None of which will be available at Dover as their simply is not the space to build such as a facility.

(Boris's idea to build a Airport/ferry terminal/rail terminal/cruise terminal on the Goodwin Sands is now actually beginning to look sensible, although a single change in the rules could make it Europe's biggest White Elephant at a stroke)
I thought Dover was going to check in coach passengers away from the ferry port area?

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
ETIAS isn't the one to get excited about just yet. On November 10th the EU Entry / Exit System (EES) starts. It's EES, not ETIAS that involves the capturing of biometric data and fingerprints at the EU border on first crossing after it's (finally) implemented. It's bound to cause delays over and above the normal ones at peak times, so factor that in to your journeys.

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees_en

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

£1 - this rip off Britain, surely people will be desperate enough to pay a tenner 😉

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I thought Dover was going to check in coach passengers away from the ferry port area?
They will have to.

The UK governments have known about the implementation of the rules for over a decade (we even voted them in, as members of the EU)
The should have been in place several years ago, but for various political, technical and pandemic related reasons have been delayed many times, but it was always a case of 'when' not 'if'.

So, knowing this was going to happen, and in fact should have already happened, obviously a massive provision was made for a location in Kent to deal with the totally predictable enormous queuing system that everyone agrees will be required.

eerrr.....? Hello .... ? Is anyone out there ??

No provision has been made.
The 'solution' is to queue vehicles, for multiple hours, on the M20.

So my idea of a concession of hundreds of pay-to-use toilets and mobile food vans situated every half mile on the hard shoulder of the M20 will be a massive money spinner.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just wait until after The Labour Party October Budget tax increases directly & indirectly, plus the increases in energy costs, council tax, and no doubt additional costs to the motorist like fuel duty rises etc.
I don't think a 7eu Visa entry to France on our holidays is going to be even noticed, thats is of course if you can still afford a continental holiday.
LES

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Just wait until after The Labour Party October Budget tax increases directly & indirectly, plus the increases in energy costs, council tax, and no doubt additional costs to the motorist like fuel duty rises etc.
I don't think a 7eu Visa entry to France on our holidays is going to be even noticed, thats is of course if you can still afford a continental holiday.
LES
I was in on a conference call yesterday with City based financiers and economists discussing exactly this subject, about which they are all non-political experts.

To be fair to the Labour Party, they have inherited a mess of monumental proportions, and there are still more financial problems to come out of the woodwork.
If it was Sunak/Hunt giving the Budget speech in October the results would be much the same.

The only big difference so far, is the Conservatives would be still allowing the private schools to be VAT free.
(Which as most of the City types had children in private schools, was one they understood personally.)

They say the two big potential changes expected this year will be the results of the US elections in October, and the deal that the current UK Government can get with the EU as the last UK Government queered up the EU pitch to an almost unbelievable level.
Both will affect the UK economy in 2025-26 far more than tinkering with things like fuel duty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back