Motorhome stolen (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I have our van registration number on our roof in case the plates are change if it does get nicked.
Bought my large self adhesive ones off of eBay.

View attachment 889564
We had our registration number likewise before it was stolen. In the subsequent 2 years, no one has reported noticing it. I subsequently found out that it has to be crosswise, not lengthwise, like this, to register on motorway cameras. But if anyone has found WX16HCA on their roof, please report to the police. They'll probably ignore it,šŸ˜

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
We had our registration number likewise before it was stolen. In the subsequent 2 years, no one has reported noticing it. I subsequently found out that it has to be crosswise, not lengthwise, like this, to register on motorway cameras. But if anyone has found WX16HCA on their roof, please report to the police. They'll probably ignore it,šŸ˜
Don't forget if some innocent has bought it they loose it and their money

M16

Free Member
Apr 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
MAGELLAN540
Most of the time these vehicles are stolen using a tow truck. Then they are completely repainted before the next use or sale. The best protection is wheel locks.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017怋
The best protection is wheel locks.
If they turn up with a tow truck... don't think a wheel lock will phase them..
If you were to see a tow truck parked infront of a moho what would you think...
ME.. I would think... poor bugger broken down.. hope it's not too serious and he gets it sorted fairly soon...
And then think no more of it.... As Mr Recovery man goes around with grinder to remove your wheel locks....

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Most of the time these vehicles are stolen using a tow truck. Then they are completely repainted before the next use or sale. The best protection is wheel locks.
Can they still be lifted onto a tow truck with wheel locks though?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
If they turn up with a tow truck... don't think a wheel lock will phase them..
If you were to see a tow truck parked infront of a moho what would you think...
ME.. I would think... poor bugger broken down.. hope it's not too serious and he gets it sorted fairly soon...
And then think no more of it.... As Mr Recovery man goes around with grinder to remove your wheel locks....
I would also think poor bugger he's had it repossessed.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Can they still be lifted onto a tow truck with wheel locks though?
Most people only lock one wheel often front Passenger side
If the wheel is off the ground clamp is pointless
It's a visual deterant against oppoetunists not professional crims :mad:

May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
Our MH has plenty of security measures: Thatcham alarm, 24-hour monitored tracker, remote immobiliser, last six characters of the VIN number on the roof in large black print, VIN CHIP marking system throughout (that can supposedly be read by police vehicles while on the move) and, just for good measure, a top quality steering lock. Hopefully all that would safeguard it against opportunist thieves, but professionals? Who knows?

In any event, and Iā€™m happy to be corrected on this, but I have the feeling that anything stolen nowadays that is insured is regarded by the police as low priority as far as the effort they put into retrieving it. Do they actually read the printed VIN/reg number from overhead cameras and do they make use of the VIN CHIP system? Somehow I doubt it. If the 24-hour monitoring service guides the police to the present location of the MH, then hopefully itā€™s not too much effort for them to follow that up but letā€™s hope the scrotes havenā€™t already disabled the tracker.

We can only do our best to safeguard our MHs but sometimes thatā€™s still not enough.

Commiserations philly. Fingers crossed that you might get some good news.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I would be more hurt by my private stuff being in the van when it was stolen than the van to be honest. Like a few have said on here after a few days gone I would not want it back. My thoughts are with you philly must have been awful to see it on your cameras.

Jul 28, 2021
British South West Somerset
Funster No
MH
Rapido Dreamer PVC
Exp
Minimal
Apparently most stolen luxury vehicles now end up in Russia or Dubai ,, used to be Nigeria ,, or get broken for spares and parts, But Currently Russia is the preferred destination
Used to be Eastern Europe when the wall came down! There is always a market!

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
After reading all this, Iā€™m out today to buy extra security. I have a wheel lock, I have sergeant tracking, the engine is imobilised. But by the sounds of it itā€™s not enough, so poppylll is now lifted off the ground on 4 hydraulic legs, Iā€™m buying a steering lock and three more wheel clamps, I have a internet camera spare that Iā€™m putting facing the cab doors. I like the idea of personalising the outside with decals unique to my van, plus the van and reg on the roof.
What else do you think I can do to make it safer?ā€¦

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
After reading all this, Iā€™m out today to buy extra security. I have a wheel lock, I have sergeant tracking, the engine is imobilised. But by the sounds of it itā€™s not enough, so poppylll is now lifted off the ground on 4 hydraulic legs, Iā€™m buying a steering lock and three more wheel clamps, I have a internet camera spare that Iā€™m putting facing the cab doors. I like the idea of personalising the outside with decals unique to my van, plus the van and reg on the roof.
What else do you think I can do to make it safer?ā€¦
Take a trip to Taunton.....

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Is that Brampton near Carlisle! If so itā€™s either in Ireland, Germany or Denmark, contact the ferry companies to see if any mohos like yours were on ships from 2hours after it was stolen up to now. You will be surprised how few there was loaded of your type and colour, if you have good photos you can send it to their dispatch team who will check the cameras to see if it was loaded and under whose name. Did you have any distinguishing marks? Any stickers? If stolen on Monday it might not be in a ferry yet!
I think if you tell us everything and ask the forum to report sightings, it may help, you never know.
REALLY! think there was enough clues in the postšŸ¤”šŸ¤”

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
Pity there are no funsters around Brampton who could check to see if its still there or if there is any cctv in the area.
I have a contact that knows the guys that own Station Road garage in Brampton ( Cumbria) and will give him a call this morning and ask him to get them to have a look.
Will post an update when I find out.šŸ‘
DJT

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
I have a plan , need a fishing hook and fishing line and a hand grenade under drivers seat,, tie line to grenade pin , and put hook into side of front tire ,, when perp drives off BOOM ....

But seriously ,I the thieves really want the vehicle they will defeat every security device available within 10 minutes , my neighbours Porsche 911 was stolen from his garage last year it had 2 alarms, CCTV , Tracker ,Immobiliser , etc , none of us heard anything it happened at about 1am and on same night 2 new Range rovers and a Jaguar I pace were stolen by same gang in our postcode ,,, None were recovered or tracked by sussex police but the Porsche was found in a container 3 months later at Felixtowe ....

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I have a plan , need a fishing hook and fishing line and a hand grenade under drivers seat,, tie line to grenade pin , and put hook into side of front tire ,, when perp drives off BOOM ....

But seriously ,I the thieves really want the vehicle they will defeat every security device available within 10 minutes , my neighbours Porsche 911 was stolen from his garage last year it had 2 alarms, CCTV , Tracker ,Immobiliser , etc , none of us heard anything it happened at about 1am and on same night 2 new Range rovers and a Jaguar I pace were stolen by same gang in our postcode ,,, None were recovered or tracked by sussex police but the Porsche was found in a container 3 months later at Felixtowe ....
What about the factual examples where professional thieves canā€™t defeat systems, or tracked vehicles are quickly recovered. How does that sit with your opinion?

Thieves can pick locks, but not ALL thieves can pick locks, so I feel safer locking my stuff up, with a good lock

I broke into and hot wired a motorcaravan in under 20 seconds for a MMM security article a few years ago and I assure you that the better the security you fit means your less likely to encounter someone good enough to tackle it

Leave Ā£2,000 in a bag on a seat of a convertible car with the roof and windows down any number of people would steal it, put the windows up will deter some, windows and roof, more deterred, roof and windows up and lock the doors, more people deterred, roof up, windows up, doors locked and vehicle alarmed etc etc

Of course only a moron to leave the money there in the first place, but you get the thought process

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
How many times have I opened the door forgetting it's alarmed? Nice plan, not good for people like me!!

Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
What about the factual examples where professional thieves canā€™t defeat systems, or tracked vehicles are quickly recovered. How does that sit with your opinion?

Thieves can pick locks, but not ALL thieves can pick locks, so I feel safer locking my stuff up, with a good lock

I broke into and hot wired a motorcaravan in under 20 seconds for a MMM security article a few years ago and I assure you that the better the security you fit means your less likely to encounter someone good enough to tackle it

Leave Ā£2,000 in a bag on a seat of a convertible car with the roof and windows down any number of people would steal it, put the windows up will deter some, windows and roof, more deterred, roof and windows up and lock the doors, more people deterred, roof up, windows up, doors locked and vehicle alarmed etc etc

Of course only a moron to leave the money there in the first place, but you get the thought process
maybe we only hear about the security faliures

x17ken

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo
Exp
Since 2015
I use a visible external deterrent on my van. I have a concealed tracker somewhere inside. I park the van in a situation where it could not possibly be towed away. I also do something under the bonnet that I will never share with anyone on this forum or elsewhere. :unsure:

OP
OP
philly
Mar 15, 2021
Funster No
MH
van conversion
We are so sorry for the loss of your MoHo. I agree like everyone else that they are very personal to each & everyone of us that owns one.The lowlifes that do this don't care and it's not taken seriously enough by the police. They need to really clamp down on these Ba---rds lock them up and throw the key away. We hope you get it sorted soon & you are able to move on & put it behind you best of luck for the future.
Thanks for your kind words

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back