Motorhome stolen (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
I get so angry when I hear a story like this.

I hope it gets sorted quickly. It does question putting a distinguishing mark on the roof.

I have up my insurance to cover more than the standard contents cover. One insurance one claim.

I hope that the replacement if it's needed makes you as happy as the lost one
Good idea, I think I’ll have my post code put on the roof, similar to what you see on police car roofs, Just another safeguard

Oct 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Just a thought but if you have any unique bits or marks on the van it would be handy to post it on the thread and if anyone spots a similar van and would be easier to Identify it as yours.
Hope you have some success,
regards bud I feel for ya 🤜🤛.

Aug 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 Titaniu
Exp
Since 2018
Thank you, we had tracker on it steering wheel lock, a bike lock on captains chair and it still went within minutes
So sad for you, something I dread for sure. My only puzzle is how it wasn’t either quickly found or at least traced with the tracker, did they not contact you from the alert or did they steal the keys and also tracker chip? Very best wishes with a smooth insurance claim, only the financial side taken care of though so look after yourselves too, don’t let them steal your wellbeing 🤗🤗

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
With all that security, it seems like it could have been winched onto a low-loader. Only need to release the handbrake for that.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Really sorry to hear such heartbreaking news, I have a tracker and alarm on my van , I get an alert if the alarm senses internal movement and a message if it’s moved. It was compulsory for insurance.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If alarms can be silenced physical locks and Tracker removed,how effective is the Non starter? Can it be bypassed or rendered ineffective?
There is a thread about trackers and an example of Non Starter doing it's job and thwarting professional thieves

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
so sorry to hear this, but dont beat yourself up, the thieves are very skilled and can defeat nearly any security. The van is now either abroad or using cloned plates on a do as you likey site. Saddest part is all the personal bits and memories will be straight in a skip as soon as they get it and have removed the tracker

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Sadly we have been there and do understand. Police offered councelling which we declined and regretted declining. On a practical direction, everything that is not part of the van comes under household insurance. Make a list from photographs and memory of everything that was in the van. If you have receipts you may be able to claim full value, other items were estimated by our insurers at half cost.
As ours involved a breaking into our home which the police found secure, the insurance company paid in full exactly three weeks to the day after the claim was made.
I fully understand that not only the van was takeen but any treasures, tools and personal items you may have collected over years. Many tears were shed, the van was never found.
When my van was stolen I claimed from house hold insurance but also claimed from van insurance for anything pertinent to the van . It mounts up .
Actually did ok insurance wise but still miss things like notebooks etc .
As many have said it's not the same as having a car stolen

Jul 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Jap Import Nissan4x4
Exp
Semi-newbie to motorhomes
I had one stolen once, managed to find them selling it on ebay about 6 months later under a different number plate. Contacted the police and got it back but the insurers took it as they had already paid me for it

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Good idea, I think I’ll have my post code put on the roof, similar to what you see on police car roofs, Just another safeguard
I wouldn't put a post code you may move :wink:

Fiddler

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 30, 2023
Staffordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285
Exp
Since 2010, caravans before that(1978)
So sorry to hear this. It’s a reminder to us all that despite all the precautions we take, there’s always someone to find a way around them.Good luck with replacing the van, and hope you’re back out on the road soon.

May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
If the thief is clever enough they can bypass the whole lot and stick a power supply straight onto the ecu or even bring their own ecu, plug and play. If they can get over physical deterrents then they will defeat an immobiliser. If they want it enough they get it.

Should post the cctv of the thieves in action onto YouTube with a nice click bait title, link to it on here and you may find you get quite a few hits, may even pay the excess if you monetise it

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
I have a sergeant tracker, every time I get on a ship (ferry) they call me and ask if I know where my Moho is. I email them now to say I’m catching a ferry. So I hope the money I spent on a tracker tracks exactly where my Moho is to 5 metres. What tracking system have you got? Which ever it is the tracking co should be able to locate it..

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Pity there are no funsters around Brampton who could check to see if its still there or if there is any cctv in the area.

Reactions: DJT
Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Is that Brampton near Carlisle! If so it’s either in Ireland, Germany or Denmark, contact the ferry companies to see if any mohos like yours were on ships from 2hours after it was stolen up to now. You will be surprised how few there was loaded of your type and colour, if you have good photos you can send it to their dispatch team who will check the cameras to see if it was loaded and under whose name. Did you have any distinguishing marks? Any stickers? If stolen on Monday it might not be in a ferry yet!
I think if you tell us everything and ask the forum to report sightings, it may help, you never know.

Mar 25, 2020
Cumbernauld
Funster No
MH
Hymer transit
Exp
All of 1 week , pre corona
Hi we haven’t been on here for a long while but unfortunately our Ford Transit Hymer was stolen from our home in Lancashire early hours Monday morning while we were away in turkey. There is a picture attached it had the reg on of T20 EJR but that will probably be taken off now. We are truly devastated someone can just do this to our pride and joy 🥲

View attachment 888633
My mate contacted taxi companies and offered a cash reward , it worked

Mar 30, 2011
Funster No
Hi we haven’t been on here for a long while but unfortunately our Ford Transit Hymer was stolen from our home in Lancashire early hours Monday morning while we were away in turkey. There is a picture attached it had the reg on of T20 EJR but that will probably be taken off now. We are truly devastated someone can just do this to our pride and joy 🥲

View attachment 888633
I am very sorry to hear this, and hope it is found without too much damage soon. Try and remember they are just possessions and possessions can be replaced. What I have found very concerning is that despite immobilisers, it was still taken. Keep us informed and sending you positive vibes! Maddy

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
philly - so sorry this has happened to you, I'd lock the thieving bar-stewards up and throw away the key.

Twoleftfeet
This could be urban legend, but years ago, when putting your postcode on the roof was very popular, I heard that tea-leaves would sit on bridges above motorways at Bank Holidays and look for such marked vehicles which were obviously heading away from the area, and then look around for an empty house to burgle.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
philly - so sorry this has happened to you, I'd lock the thieving bar-stewards up and throw away the key.

Twoleftfeet
This could be urban legend, but years ago, when putting your postcode on the roof was very popular, I heard that tea-leaves would sit on bridges above motorways at Bank Holidays and look for such marked vehicles which were obviously heading away from the area, and then look around for an empty house to burgle.
Just put the first letters and numbers of the Post code, it will not identify your Street or house number but is enough info for the Police to use.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Don't know your circumstances for being in Turkey but I would rather not know it had gone until I got back...and definately not watch it being taken....
IMO if it is gone its gone, and I would not want it back..
However I do sympathize with you..

Same here. We don't have any security cameras etc accessible when we are away. If something happens it happens. Worry about it when we get home.

Apr 13, 2020
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Rapido
Exp
since 2018

View attachment 888633
We are so sorry for the loss of your MoHo. I agree like everyone else that they are very personal to each & everyone of us that owns one.The lowlifes that do this don't care and it's not taken seriously enough by the police. They need to really clamp down on these Ba---rds lock them up and throw the key away. We hope you get it sorted soon & you are able to move on & put it behind you best of luck for the future.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The best anti theft devices I have are poacher mines. If some scrote pulls the trigger wire they will need new underwear and the bang will alert everyone for a mile around. Further in the middle of the night. And then they will call the police about gunshots and it will get interesting

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have our van registration number on our roof in case the plates are change if it does get nicked.
Bought my large self adhesive ones off of eBay.

1713982153360.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back