More greeting faced locals complaining about motorhomes (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Unfortunately, I CAN believe it ..... I've lived up in the North-East of Scotland for circa 35 years on a quiet just-off-the-main-drag plot/road, and I JUST ONCE have had a caravanner pull up into the bottom drive of my smallish plot, and set up an awning + chairs out in my garden and let their kids & dogs run around without any control.

I never noticed until the next morning, and when I confronted them they gave me a load of verbal abuse and told me that "they knew" anybody is free to camp and wild-camp anywhere in Scotland under Scottish Law, AND that they would not move until the next day when it suited them, so I should Foxtrot Oscar.

I took it my usual calm, mild, and acceptive manner ;) :whistle2:, and my son & I immediately barricaded the entrance to our plot with our diggers & cars, and politely informed them that if they wanted our vehicles moved, I would be charging a "Relocation Fee" of £50 per vehicle on the First Day to move our vehicles, which would also be tripling every day or part-thereof on each subsequent day thereafter.

They (as expected) went ballistic and accused me of kidnapping & blackmail, and threatened to physically assault us. I then told them that my son had recorded everything and that I was immediately calling the police about the violent threats. The police turned up about 45 minutes later, watched the recording, and advised the scumbags that although I could not technically charge them a "Civil Parking Charge" due to my plot not having the legally required signage, I WAS Legally Perfectly entitled to charge a "Vehicle Relocation Fee" to move OUR vehicles out of the way, so the Scumbage were advised to pay quickly and leave or suffer the consequences AND the Police warned that they had noted the Vehicle & Personal Details of said trespassers and WOULD come after them if I reported ANY criminal Damage or Further Harrassment.

Said scumbags grudgingly paid, threw everything in their caravan, & immediately pissed-off.

I've NEVER had any tourists trimming plants, etc ... BUT I also ONCE caught a LOCAL farmer cutting my border tree branches back some 12-15 Feet INSIDE my plot because he claimed they might scratch his shiny new combine (which was circa 15 feet wider than my little country road).

Over the decades I've also dragged out several drunks who ditched their cars into the burn alongside the bends in our road, but they were ALL locals AND we've rescued the neighbour's cat & took it the vet when it got caught up in the farm's barbed wire fence (but that wasn't a "tourist" cat :LOL:)

So whilst I appreciate that many of the wild stories & claims put out by some are no doubt BS of the highest order ... I also KNOW such things CAN happen in real life (albeit rarely in my experience).
My experience is that it’s people in cars who cause 99.9% of the issues, I see it almost daily, up here on the moors where we live, it’s people in cars who chuck all the rubbish out of the window, have picnics and leave rubbish, food wrappers, drinks cans, fag packets, used nappies, people in cars who drive around thieving and breaking in to outhouses, properties, nick the wild flowers, pull up and snip honeysuckle from your garden, pull up and nick all the rock salt then drive off, I could go on and on.
Twice weekly up here I go out and pick rubbish up left by people in cars. It’s people in cars who stop and use the moors as a toilet, I’ve seen it here and in Scotland.
I’ve seen all the same when we’ve toured Scotland, unfortunately it doesn’t make as good a story though and it’s tolerated as the people causing all the problems are probably staying in hotels, B&Bs, tents on campsites etc
There’s good and bad in all walks of life, of course there will be some bad motorhomers but I think the issue is greatly exaggerated by campsite owners, Chinese whispers, 2+2 makes 7 etc etc

How many times have you seen letters written to local newspapers, heard reports on forums, heard tales in the pub, village hall etc about cars being the problem compared to how many times you hear talk of motorhomes being the problem.
If people in cars cause virtually the issues, as they do up here on the Teesdale moors, then you would expect virtually all the reports to be complaining of cars, unfortunately the exact opposite is true.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Worked in The Orkneys in mid 70s. Oxydental, Flotta. Company ferry from Scapa Flow Kirkwall.
All i remember was it was grimm, very very grim.

Jun 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Overcab coachbuilt
Exp
20yrs
It used to be a lovely area to visit. Then loads of folk who weren't born there bought houses and business's and now they don't like other people visiting . The locals I met when I travelled there years back were welcoming and friendly . Now they complain about everything . It's this territorial mindset folk have these days unfortunately.
I noticed this on a visit to the west coast 20yrs ago, seems like they had bought into their little piece of paradise and didn't want to share it.I have always found the real scottish people very friendly and have worked there for long periods many yrs ago.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Red top Rags, mountains, and molehills. An almost non story spun out into a national problem.
Lazy journalism at it's finest, and best ignored by those complying with the rules, ie 99.99%.
Mike.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I Cut & Pasted this (below) from the article...says it all really.

There have been many reports of anti-social behaviour stemming from the parade of campervans and motorhomes trailing up the single-track route.
We pay for your stories and videos! Do you have a story or video for The Scottish Sun? Email us at scoop@thesun.co.uk or call 0141 420 5200

LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo Time
Let me take an educated guess, might those documented cases be from either of the following Facebook groups:

• NC500 The Land Weeps
  • NC500 The Dirty Truth
Ian
No not from there.
From a moho positive source promoting NC 500 commenting on badly behaved folk giving responsible owners a bad name. Sadly they do exist

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
No not from there.
From a moho positive source promoting NC 500 commenting on badly behaved folk giving responsible owners a bad name. Sadly they do exist
Who was it then?

If they’re promoting positivity about motorhoming perhaps we would be interested in what they are writing. We are, after all, a motorhoming community. Perhaps we could even assist in promotion of that positivity and not the usual Facebook/red top diatribe spread by a few Facebook sites dedicated to spreading negativity.

Maybe a link to the articles/Facebook feeds where this was mentioned would assist etc?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
commenting on badly behaved folk giving responsible owners a bad name. Sadly they do exist

Of course they exist. The fundamental question is are they an anomaly in terms of your typical MH user (probably) or are they typical of MH users (unlikely)?

With the increased popularity of both motorhoming and ‘van lifers’ it’s inevitable that there will be issues with those who are not familiar with how to behave properly and responsibly.

Does that mean that we should hang our heads in shame? No, of course not but we, and journalists, should seek to understand whether the occurrences are anomalies or are part of general despicable behaviour by a whole population group. It doesn’t take much thinking to recognise that it’s the former and folks shouldn’t get swept up believing that it’s the latter however much vested interests imply otherwise.

Ian

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Bad news is good news - sells more advertising

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
What I would like to see on this forum, is a report from someone who has just done the NC500, good, bad warts and all.

Me and swmbo often wonder what all those visitors in cars with roof tents are doing with their waste and other stuff ? As far as bins over flowing ?? we've seen this in Germany, France and Italy and Canada. It's mainly down to the bins not being emptied.

I could go on, but why bother, you have all made up your mind that the Highlands is a cess pit not worth visiting.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
What I would like to see on this forum, is a report from someone who has just done the NC500, good, bad warts and all.

Me and swmbo often wonder what all those visitors in cars with roof tents are doing with their waste and other stuff ? As far as bins over flowing ?? we've seen this in Germany, France and Italy and Canada. It's mainly down to the bins not being emptied.

I could go on, but why bother, you have all made up your mind that the Highlands is a cess pit not worth visiting.
I will do so at the end of September.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I’m on a number of NC500 FB groups and, without exception, those who report back after completing their trip say that they found it a fantastic experience and that they found the locals lovely. Most who do report back said that they were apprehensive about going because of all the negativity that they'd read about.

The question that has to be asked is why have those views been formed? Sad to say, it’s because the anti-NC500 faction are having considerable success in spreading their messages of hate (that’s the power of social media for you).

Ian

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B534 DL (2017)
Exp
Well travelled
I think you are quite correct Ian.

It's a shame, I'm an incomer, married an Inverness lassie and have lived up here 21 years. It's a truly beautiful place, well worth a visit. I've said beforwe, don't believe everything you read on those social media pages. I believe there are some who just love to stir the sh1T and probably don't even live here.

If you fancy coming, then October (NOT half term) is a great time to come, wonderful weather, the views are way better due to the subdued light, and best of all....NO MIDGES.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
If you fancy coming, then October (NOT half term) is a great time to come, wonderful weather, the views are way better due to the subdued light, and best of all....NO MIDGES.

As a Scottish Islander (who has lived in England longer than I did in Scotland😎), I’m familiar with all the seasons up there and have done the route a few times (both motorcycle and MH). I do a bike trip to Scotland every year but since Covid (and the ensuing popularity of the route) we’ve restricted ourselves to Dumfries and Galloway. However, we've been contemplating travelling further north for next year’s trip.👍

Ian

Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
I’m on a number of NC500 FB groups and, without exception, those who report back after completing their trip say that they found it a fantastic experience and that they found the locals lovely. Most who do report back said that they were apprehensive about going because of all the negativity that they'd read about.

The question that has to be asked is why have those views been formed? Sad to say, it’s because the anti-NC500 faction are having considerable success in spreading their messages of hate (that’s the power of social media for you).

Ian
There was a thread [forget which forum] which was based on some ill informed remark made by Simon Calder about motorhomes being charged £20 a night to visit Scotland . The sources were Scottish Sun , Birmingham Mail and GB news .
Responses were unbelievable . Never go back to Scotland etc .
This kind of misinformation is how these views are formed by many , possibly the majority . There are more idiots out there than you would think .
They make me look close to being intelligent [ish]

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
There are more idiots out there than you would think .
Indeed. When someone posted some information (it was a screenshot - why do people do that🤔) I asked them what the source was. Others replied ‘internet search’ and ‘Google’ and they seemed to struggle to understand that I was asking for the source reference and not which search engine had been used. We’re doomed I tell thee, doomed!

They make me look close to being intelligent [ish]

I’m sure that you can hold your own. 😎

Ian

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Has anyone ever seen a report or photograph of a motorhomer or camper in the act of dumping black or any other waste?

If not all the evidence is hearsay or anecdotal and should be ignored.

The fact that waste is discovered does not prove who was the culprit.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Has anyone ever seen a report or photograph of a motorhomer or camper in the act of dumping black or any other waste?

If not all the evidence is hearsay or anecdotal and should be ignored.

The fact that waste is discovered does not prove who was the culprit.

Oh yes, the members of NC500 The Land Weeps and NC500 The Dirty Truth have dossiers of such acts but mostly it is as you've suggested (for example, photos of human excrement and toilet tissue with no evidential trail). They also take photos of vehicles parked/camped in places they consider inappropriate.

Ian

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I was on a farcebook page about the NC500 run by an Englishman who lives in Reay, that’s next to Dounreay in case you don’t know. He was moaning about campers at Ardvreck castle, I replied that rather than moaning about it on there phone the police. He promptly banned me, it might have been one of the sites mentioned I’m not sure. Just goes to show that an incomer complains about something nowhere near him but spouts about it on social media, I looked into his background due to another person mentioning it before I was canned.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I was on a farcebook page about the NC500 run by an Englishman who lives in Reay, that’s next to Dounreay in case you don’t know. He was moaning about campers at Ardvreck castle, I replied that rather than moaning about it on there phone the police. He promptly banned me, it might have been one of the sites mentioned I’m not sure. Just goes to show that an incomer complains about something nowhere near him but spouts about it on social media, I looked into his background due to another person mentioning it before I was canned.

They are quick to ban anyone who, excuse the pun, isn’t on the same page as they are. 🤷‍♂️ Numpties!

Ian

Oct 22, 2023
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F60
Exp
Newbies as of June 2024

I'll also report back at the end of September.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think you are quite correct Ian.

It's a shame, I'm an incomer, married an Inverness lassie and have lived up here 21 years. It's a truly beautiful place, well worth a visit. I've said beforwe, don't believe everything you read on those social media pages. I believe there are some who just love to stir the sh1T and probably don't even live here.

I started travelling that route first as a teenager with my parents aged 13 ...so 38 years ago . I continued doing it myself 2/3 times a year from age 17 right up till 2016. I know every square inch of it and many many parkups.

BUT it has changed, and the locals have changed. The last time I was up there was sep/Oct 2017 with my frankia for 6 weeks . I encountered quite a few very unfriendly locals which would never happen 20 years ago. I also saw the vast amounts of hire vans with damaged mirrors and bumpers etc etc . It's still a beautiful part of the country although I personally don't really bother with the east side much as west is best.

But those social media pages and the campsite owners up there are successfully managing to dissuade many from returning or going for the first time . After reading at least 4 years of negativity about it I've got no desire to go back up there.

Most of the whiners on the Facebook groups are most likely not even local born Scots...its likely they moved there from somewhere else and now dislike the tourists who follow . Much like the expats in Spain who constantly whine.

But their whining is working

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
We went last August, didn't see any nasty people.

Saw one a few years ago though she was English and came out shouting about cars parking on her forecourt 😕

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Its just been on the radio about the tourist protests coming to the Highlands ,similar to Spain.
Some local complaining to many tourists and not enough infra structure in place.
It never ends.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just arrived at a regular park up for us in Galicia...even our MH is the only featured photo at this location.... generally we have a couple of night per year here...never overstay...
To our suprise our normal shady place was free....just another couple of cars...
What surprised us most this year was the fireworks on our arrival...real daytime fireworks....lots of bangs and a puff of smoke...we were amazed at the trouble taken by the locals...Thanks a million guys...
By the way it's a local Fiesta today (Regional holiday) ..🇪🇦🥳👍

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Didn't see this coming. Didn't plan for this.
Chose our shady place and preparing for a ride....
It's Raining and has been on and off for most of the night...what next?...

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
as the locals would give you the Death stare every time you parked up
anywhere ,even shopping, anyone does that I ask "have you got a problem?" & always force the issue. When I was young you stared at someone you got hit with the giant glass ashtrays

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back