More greeting faced locals complaining about motorhomes (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
Bl@@dy Sunlight owners :Eeek: can't even park up wrongly the right way, hab door outwards ;):giggle:
Mike.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
What are they whingeing about. They live in a tourist area so tourists will come.
They're lucky it's only got like this in the past couple of years.
I live on the Isle of Wight and maybe not just motorhomes causing the problems but the Coaches used to cause the same problem they have and now with the reduction of coach holidays the number of visitors cars is swamping the inadequate roads here. There are times you do not venture out of your home as you know certain roads will be gridlocked as they leave or return to their accommodation.
Learn to live with it like we have plan nt to go out at these times and think yourself lucky they're keeping the economy of your area going.
Very true...I have a static in North Wales and in the 6 weeks etc we hardly go and if we do and venture out add a good chunk of time on your plans but take it on the chin. The town needs the tourist money.

Aug 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo Time
I live in Orkney and have my own motorhome
I've done the NC500 in a previous vehicle and enjoyed it in June. This was 3 /4 years ago and we found local people to be very cheerful and helpful.
Some of the posters here need to be educated as to what the situation is like.
Its not the volume of traffic that is the main issue.
Its the complete disregard of decency shown by some moho owners.
There are numerous cases documented of appalling behaviour.(not from sun newspaper)
Heres just some
Overnight parking in Cemetery parking area
Emptying cassettes on the verges
Leaving faeces in the grass.
Sitting disposal barbecues on public picnic tables causing irreparable damage
Parking in private driveways and causing damage to property including in one case cutting plants down to get habitation door open.
Parking both daytime and overnight in passing places despite numerous reminders that this is not allowed
Parking in such a way to prevent access to peoples driveways.
Travelling slowly stopping emergency vehicles passing One case had an emergency vehicle stuck behind at 40mph for 10 miles.
To describe the locals as whingers is frankly insuting given what they have to put up with. I suspect you would be whinging as well if you had to put up with this behaviour on your doorstep.
So what are the solutions
There is a new chief executive recently appointed and he wants to find ways of helping both locals and tourists.
But there are simple solutions too.
Don't be a cheapskate
Use sites. There are many in the area which are excellent
If you don't want to do that everyday book in for a night to empty cassette drain gray water etc
Leave no trace if you want to be off grid.
Treat people and environment with respect.
Drive and park considerately
Make sure you are able to reverse your Moho 9n single track roads for upto 100 yards.

If you don't want to do these simple thingd then stay away. You won't be welcome.

If you do you'll find the Scottish people in the North to be friendly and hospitable

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I've done the NC500 in a previous vehicle and enjoyed it in June. This was 3 /4 years ago and we found local people to be very cheerful and helpful.
There are numerous cases documented of appalling behaviour.(not from sun newspaper)
Heres just some
Parking in private driveways and causing damage to property including in one case cutting plants down to get habitation door open.
Parking both daytime and overnight in passing places despite numerous reminders that this is not allowed
Travelling slowly stopping emergency vehicles passing One case had an emergency vehicle stuck behind at 40mph for 10 miles.
To describe the locals as whingers is frankly insuting given what they have to put up with. I suspect you would be whinging as well if you had to put up with this behaviour on your doorstep.
There is a new chief executive recently appointed and he wants to find ways of helping both locals and tourists.
Don't be a cheapskate
If you don't want to do that everyday book in for a night to empty cassette drain gray water etc
Make sure you are able to reverse your Moho 9n single track roads for upto 100 yards.

If you don't want to do these simple thingd then stay away. You won't be welcome.

If you do you'll find the Scottish people in the North to be friendly and hospitable
I think you'll find you're 'preaching to the converted' on here.
I'd hope no funster would be guilty of these behaviours

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow parking in private driveways that’s incredible causing damage to property, cutting plants down to get the habitation door open.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
A bit like visiting a respected forum on motorhoming…..treat people civilly and they will accommodate. Look for a fight and you’ll probably get one! Welcome and thank you for your first post.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Heres just some
Don't be a cheapskate

Have you also noticed car drivers leaving rubbish all over, getting out of their cars and using verges, trees, bushes as a toilet area then driving off, cars stopping emergency vehicles getting past, or is it just motorhomes that cause a problem?

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Wow parking in private driveways that’s incredible causing damage to property, cutting plants down to get the habitation door open.
And most likely never happened. Red top rag exaggeration. And Facebook whiners who will only ever be happy if there are no tourists at all.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I had this on my list of places to go / routes to do but, after reading all the posts about irate locals, lack of facilities and clogged up roads ( as well as watching the first episode of NC500 on the tele), I don't think I'll bother. I imagined it to be peaceful, beautiful, breathtaking and restful. However, it feels more like it's busy, congested, unwelcoming and anti-tourist. It's a shame, really, but I suppose it's like anywhere else that becomes popluar; it gets ruined by the sheer number of people.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had this on my list of places to go / routes to do but, after reading all the posts about irate locals, lack of facilities and clogged up roads ( as well as watching the first episode of NC500 on the tele), I don't think I'll bother. I imagined it to be peaceful, beautiful, breathtaking and restful. However, it feels more like it's busy, congested, unwelcoming and anti-tourist. It's a shame, really, but I suppose it's like anywhere else that becomes popluar; it gets ruined by the sheer number of people.
Go to France instead

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
We are going in a few weeks time and will treat the route and the locals with the same decent respect we show everywhere we go. If we don't like it, or we feel that we are not welcome, we will take our motorhome and spending money elsewhere. I have had only positive experiences during my many visits in Scotland for work and holidays. I hope this next one is more of the same.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
It was as you described until they gave it a name and it became a must do tick box for many

Was planning a visit to Orkney but........... :rofl:

Aug 13, 2024
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo Time
It was as you described until they gave it a name and it became a must do tick box for many

Was planning a visit to Orkney but........... :rofl:
Orkney is very welcoming. At least 4 sites on the Orkney mainland, 6 to 8 one night free spaces in car park near town centre.
A number of off grid places too with 24 hour toilets. At least 2 of the outer islands have sites with EHU. Respect people and community and you will be very welcome..
By the way regarding my comments earlier about the NC500, I am not in the habit of lying about or overegging the problem caused by some moho owners.
Its a minority I know but sadly gives all a bad name.

May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
I read the story and in this quote it seems they are not talking about motorhomers:

"All that's happened now is that we're getting fewer of the appreciative, knowledgeable families and parties of walkers who used to come, often again and again, and more demanding and entitled urban people who've booked on Airbnb and who have no idea what the place consists of."

Are we 'entitled urban people' ? No, we are calm, educated, appreciative, knowledgeable and friendly people who maybe don't walk so much but we don't bother anyone either. 🍷 🍷

Bobbejaan

Visiting Coventry
Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
I don’t believe for a minute motorhomes have been pulling onto peoples drives and cutting back flowers to get out of the habitation door.

Unfortunately, I CAN believe it ..... I've lived up in the North-East of Scotland for circa 35 years on a quiet just-off-the-main-drag plot/road, and I JUST ONCE have had a caravanner pull up into the bottom drive of my smallish plot, and set up an awning + chairs out in my garden and let their kids & dogs run around without any control.

I never noticed until the next morning, and when I confronted them they gave me a load of verbal abuse and told me that "they knew" anybody is free to camp and wild-camp anywhere in Scotland under Scottish Law, AND that they would not move until the next day when it suited them, so I should Foxtrot Oscar.

I took it my usual calm, mild, and acceptive manner ;) :whistle2:, and my son & I immediately barricaded the entrance to our plot with our diggers & cars, and politely informed them that if they wanted our vehicles moved, I would be charging a "Relocation Fee" of £50 per vehicle on the First Day to move our vehicles, which would also be tripling every day or part-thereof on each subsequent day thereafter.

They (as expected) went ballistic and accused me of kidnapping & blackmail, and threatened to physically assault us. I then told them that my son had recorded everything and that I was immediately calling the police about the violent threats. The police turned up about 45 minutes later, watched the recording, and advised the scumbags that although I could not technically charge them a "Civil Parking Charge" due to my plot not having the legally required signage, I WAS Legally Perfectly entitled to charge a "Vehicle Relocation Fee" to move OUR vehicles out of the way, so the Scumbage were advised to pay quickly and leave or suffer the consequences AND the Police warned that they had noted the Vehicle & Personal Details of said trespassers and WOULD come after them if I reported ANY criminal Damage or Further Harrassment.

Said scumbags grudgingly paid, threw everything in their caravan, & immediately pissed-off.

I've NEVER had any tourists trimming plants, etc ... BUT I also ONCE caught a LOCAL farmer cutting my border tree branches back some 12-15 Feet INSIDE my plot because he claimed they might scratch his shiny new combine (which was circa 15 feet wider than my little country road).

Over the decades I've also dragged out several drunks who ditched their cars into the burn alongside the bends in our road, but they were ALL locals AND we've rescued the neighbour's cat & took it the vet when it got caught up in the farm's barbed wire fence (but that wasn't a "tourist" cat :LOL:)

So whilst I appreciate that many of the wild stories & claims put out by some are no doubt BS of the highest order ... I also KNOW such things CAN happen in real life (albeit rarely in my experience).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back