More greeting faced locals complaining about motorhomes (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Its just been on the radio about the tourist protests coming to the Highlands ,similar to Spain.
Some local complaining to many tourists and not enough infra structure in place.
It never ends.
It won't end there . If there are effective protests then business owners , who I think do well out of NC500 , will be protesting .

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
"Over Tourism" was discussed on LBC radio last night, so many places want to Ban Tourists as they are fed up with massive daily inflows of people, especially from Cruise Ships, and they do to a point have my sympathies. One small picturesque town in Minorca with only 200 residents wants a total ban on tourists as they turn up everyday, take selfies outside their whitewashed houses amongst their colourful flowers, even sit on their garden benches, it must be frustrating to have people peering in their windows and talking loudly on their phones etc . I googled the village to have a look, its called Binibeca, yes its very picturesque, small harbour town, with two restaurants that are making a killing, I looked at their menu prices and nearly fell off my chair, so they will be the other side of the coin....very happy.

The conversation then swung over to...you guessed it....The NC500, they had people from Durness & Kinlochbervie saying that the number of Campervans this year was the worst ever, and that they are parked up along roads and lay byes anywhere they can get a space. They were saying that they have to allow extra time to drive into the larger towns to get to hospital appts, or see their GP.
The roads are now well worn with the increased level of traffic, there is of course much more litter everywhere from more local traffic in general, with even more cars, campervans using campsites & air B&B, hotels/guest houses, plus wilding everywhere they can..
They can only use their local beaches out of season, the beaches are covered in litter & dog mess, with tenters leaving evidence of bon fires and litter, inc toilet waist in the dunes.
It was mentioned that some locals are so angry they are prepared to take matters into their own hands, with placing nails & broken glass on the roads, even rocks thrown at passing vans.:eek:
From what I saw on our last off season visit to the West Coast & Skye 6 years ago, it was getting too much traffic even then. I sat in a lay bye just over the Skye Bridge for a lunch stop, and lost count at the number of vans, especially hire vans coming onto & off the Island, needless to say we did a U turn and left to head inland away from the coast.
The businesses on the West Coast selling Seafood and now charging London Prices, the small Cafe's are charging £4.50 for a slice of cake,£2.50 for a scone or tea bread, and £3/4 for a Coffee, we didnt notice many locals frequenting the establishments whilst there.
I think its too late to save the place now, I blame the massive rise in Campervan Hire companies, and the tourist board for advertising the NC500 as the best most scenic road in the world.
Tourist tax will not stop people coming, but inflated camp site and restaurant prices, and lack of suitable serviced parking may well have a negative affect on campervans, but maybe a positive affect for the locals.
Bloomin Shame, I wonder when someone will remove the "Haste Ye Back" sign as we leave Scotland at the border?
LES (born in Ayrshire)

Last edited:

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
I’m afraid it’s even spread to Edinburgh now. Overnight parking opposite the Police Headquarters at Fettes has always been tolerated as there are no houses overlooked. However numbers have been steadily increasing, behaviour in the main is ok, occasionally see people hanging out washing, emptying waste etc but nothing terrible. However article in Edinburgh News this week calling on a ban on Motorhomes, apparently there were 30+ vans there, it is Edinburgh Festival time, shame if overpopularity leads to its end.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
I’m afraid it’s even spread to Edinburgh now. Overnight parking opposite the Police Headquarters at Fettes has always been tolerated as there are no houses overlooked. However numbers have been steadily increasing, behaviour in the main is ok, occasionally see people hanging out washing, emptying waste etc but nothing terrible. However article in Edinburgh News this week calling on a ban on Motorhomes, apparently there were 30+ vans there, it is Edinburgh Festival time, shame if overpopularity leads to its end.
I wonder who is complaining then if where they are parking doesn't affect houses. I'm in Edinburgh but have never seen this park up. Always fancied just parking up there one night to see what the crack is.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
I wonder who is complaining then if where they are parking doesn't affect houses. I'm in Edinburgh but have never seen this park up. Always fancied just parking up there one night to see what the crack is.
It’s a decent location, Broughton High school behind, Waitrose at end of road, lots of buses to city centre. However it’s very sloping, so some bump up on the pavements, longer overhangs block pavement entirely etc. think it’s just the volume, they take up almost all the free parking which is in high demand.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
It’s a decent location, Broughton High school behind, Waitrose at end of road, lots of buses to city centre. However it’s very sloping, so some bump up on the pavements, longer overhangs block pavement entirely etc. think it’s just the volume, they take up almost all the free parking which is in high demand.
Fair enough I suppose. If anyone is looking for somewhere to park for Edinburgh go to the park & ride at Newcraighall rail station. 75p per night and a ten minute train ride in to the city centre. Can't argue with that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm an incomer married to an Inverness lass, we make tourist tat, and have shop in Invergordon. So please come up and buy our tat. But our best customers are on the cruise ships.
Let's have some tat photos then! 😄

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Put me off going back now Caz wanted to return there, we didn’t go to Dunrobbin Castle or Castle of Mey, plus a few other places and sites.
I’m not sure now if we’re not wanted.

Might go somewhere else instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Put me off going back now Caz wanted to return there, we didn’t go to Dunrobbin Castle or Castle of Mey, plus a few other places and sites.
I’m not sure now if we’re not wanted.

Might go somewhere else instead.

Those are both on the East side; I get the impression that most of the anti-feeling crew are around the West side.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back