More greeting faced locals complaining about motorhomes (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 18, 2022
Holmfirth, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 135
Spent a month at the top of Scotland in June in my first timer MH. Revisiting places I’d been to, before. 40 years ago. (Before swearing off because of the midges.) I like mountain walks and it is, unsurprisingly, still just as jaw-droppingly beautiful.

But, IMHO, the days of parking up in scenic solitude are over. There’s no going back or even standing still. Scotland has to live with the vastly increased numbers of visitors. A plan is needed. Not just parochial local councils and community groups who will be overwhelmed by the weight of tourism and probably react by oppressive regulations in a war against tourism. I believe that many other countries have grasped this nettle with coherent regulation, facilities and their enforcement. I’m off to Spain, next, to find out :)

Strangely, it was my own off-gridding that made me realise that what I was doing was unsustainable. And unfair. As I ate my breakfast watching the local dog walkers, fishermen, hikers and joggers roll up, I felt like a big white blot on their landscape. I’d naively expected that I’d be part of a tiny band of folk who didn’t need services and left no trace in my idyllic dell. But, nowadays, more and more folk are self-sufficient.

Also, naively, I’d thought that the NC500 was mainly a cyclists' domain. I was astounded at the convoys of MHs and bikers. In bad weather! And was embarrassed as the heavily laden cyclists had to keep stopping on the single track, in the driving rain, as they couldn’t squeeze past. In high summer it must be infuriating for them. A bit of a conundrum as, if I waited, it could sometimes be for 5 or 10 minutes!
I hadn’t realised that it had become a fashionable selfie-opportunity. (So glad I bought a compact!)

In some ways, I feel that the Highland Scottish people are, unconsciously, their own worst enemies. An example: in museums and shops there were notices “please don’t touch the display”. And uncased items. Car parks and toilets had honesty boxes. I saw folk taking their cassettes into the toilets in spite of the polite signs explaining why this was a Bad Idea. Sadly, these anachronisms will not be respected and the inevitable disrespect will lead to “locals vs tourists” wars. And MHs are the easiest to spot. The door of a control shed at the base of a communications mast left wide open. Masses of expensive equipment protected by a No Entry sign on the low gate.

I read the article referenced above and was not surprised by the polarised comments.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
If I can't get to Europe this winter I'd hoped to go up north for a week or 2 in October but I think I might just go over to the south west coast around Ayrshire and the Galloway forest instead. Or perhaps a bit of the north east coast . Can't be doing with whiny locals complaining.
Stick to taking your money to the lake district/northumberland

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
ill help them out, its 450 miles from me and only 75 miles from me to dover i know what way im going
Similar, 20 miles to Newhaven, not been to Scotland since 2013 apart from when I was working. Can't see me going again in my lifetime.
I found Ireland to be similar unfortunately.
It was great when we went It was either in 2010 or 2011.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
Can someone enlighten me who actual coined the phase ‘ NC500 ‘ another point I just been up the ‘ track ‘ by Stonehenge a place I visited many a time but now it is inundated with foreign vans and of course black bin bags left behind . Luckily further up the track towards larkhill you can still find peace .

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Won’t go near it either , it’s been ruined by the overuse and lack of facilities , the locals have had enough and in my view every right to complain, I certainly would if I lived there. https://m.facebook.com/groups/595039354532848/?ref=share

Which group is that? I wasn’t able to view your link as it’s probably one of two groups that I’ve been banned from (for railing against the narrative 😎).

Can someone enlighten me who actual coined the phase ‘ NC500 ‘

At its inception Prince Charles was involved but if you Google it you’ll find out the full story/history.👍

Ian

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Can someone enlighten me who actual coined the phase ‘ NC500 ‘ another point I just been up the ‘ track ‘ by Stonehenge a place I visited many a time but now it is inundated with foreign vans and of course black bin bags left behind . Luckily further up the track towards larkhill you can still find peace .
Which group is that? I wasn’t able to view your link as it’s probably one of two groups that I’ve been banned from (for railing against the narrative 😎).

At its inception Prince Charles was involved but if you Google it you’ll find out the full story/history.👍

Ian
I can bet it wasn't a scotsman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
The prices that local eateries, pubs and hotels are charging in the UK is going to put a lot of tourists off. Even more so in rural Scotland. It getting ridiculous when a fish and chips and a pint is £25 in a pub. In a few years the NC500 will be a thing of the past.....or is that wishful thinking.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Age old story - the world over

"Tourist attraction ruined by number of tourists"

:doh:

A bit like deLuxe flying when the airlines let the 'public' in.

Fortunately the 'forward' cabin became more exclusive when the Navigators and Flight Engineers were removed :LOL: .

Only other Flight Crew allowed up there are Senior Cabin Crew during 'pee time';)(y)

tinkertaylor

Free Member
May 11, 2022
Castle Bromwich, Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Started self build December 2020, finished April 2022
The prices that local eateries, pubs and hotels are charging in the UK is going to put a lot of tourists off. Even more so in rural Scotland. It getting ridiculous when a fish and chips and a pint is £25 in a pub. In a few years the NC500 will be a thing of the past.....or is that wishful thinking.
The weak pound doesn't put off foreign tourists.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Won’t go near it either , it’s been ruined by the overuse and lack of facilities , the locals have had enough and in my view every right to complain, I certainly would if I lived there. https://m.facebook.com/groups/595039354532848/?ref=share

We spent 2 weeks up there in May. There were more motorhomes there than I have seen in other parts of the country but it wasn't overly busy. Plenty of places to park, no problem finding water and emptying the toilet. They best trip we've had in the UK by far!

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Can someone enlighten me who actual coined the phase ‘ NC500 ‘

Dreamt up by some Scottish Tourism board I believe. They also produced maps, adverts and road signs to help everyone find it! Go to any Scottish Tourist info shop and you'll find loads of info on it.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Glad we did it in June 2019. All was sweetness and light for whole 2 weeks. No midges and hardly any rain...lovely.

PaulC70

Visiting Coventry
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
indeed,
but therein lies the problem.. laws are being broken, and peoples lives disrupted by the sheer volume of tourist traffic on roads that were never designed for it.
Traffic is just traffic at the end of the day, public road, not a lot you can do about it. As for laws being broken? What laws and whats the evidence. All this talk of blocked roads, or people shitting in bushes, not a single picture anywhere.

PaulC70

Visiting Coventry
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
As for it being busy busy busy with motorhomes, we'll we're on our way back to Bedford by Sunday after going Northumberland / North Berwick / Fort William / Mull for 4 nights / Glasgow and there's been none of this "millions of motorhomes" hysteria at all!

We've had a great time and will definitely be back to Mull at some point.

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Simple answer is stay away and when tourism and businesses start to suffer they will soon start complaining about the lack of tourists.

Can’t win them all.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Done it twice, not in a MH.
Won't be going up there again.
Too many places to go and things to see this side of the border and the border to the West.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
As for laws being broken? What laws and whats the evidence. All this talk of blocked roads, or people shitting in bushes, not a single picture anywhere.

You need to join the FB Group “NC500 - The Land Weeps”. Gathering evidence is their raison d’etre.

Be prepared to be stunned; not by the evidence but by the attitude of the group members!

Ian

vectian

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
What are they whingeing about. They live in a tourist area so tourists will come.
They're lucky it's only got like this in the past couple of years.
I live on the Isle of Wight and maybe not just motorhomes causing the problems but the Coaches used to cause the same problem they have and now with the reduction of coach holidays the number of visitors cars is swamping the inadequate roads here. There are times you do not venture out of your home as you know certain roads will be gridlocked as they leave or return to their accommodation.
Learn to live with it like we have plan nt to go out at these times and think yourself lucky they're keeping the economy of your area going.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
It should be asked of the whiner's " Do they never go on holiday to anywhere popular", pot===kettle 🤷‍♂️
Mike.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back