MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (4 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Right I'm low on data and can't go over the Same bits over again so most info I have I've posted up already . That and the ebay listing gives a good idea.

Realistically I can't compare my current van with it as they're 2 very different things in every way .

But I can compare it fairly well to the euramobil I had last year that I bought for 26.5k but sold for 31.5k

If someone had offered me a swap the euramobil for the n&b I'd have ripped their arm from the socket.

It's a far superior van .

So with that in mind it is a good buy , I would like to hope that with the love I'd show it that it wouldn't depreciate drastically in the next few years . I think the pros far outweigh the cons but I'm also aware it carries an element of risk .

Looking at what else is out there for the price range I think the price is pretty spot on IF most of the equipment works. Somethings while being a shame if they don't work I could live without and would either not replace or I'd try and pick up a second hand one ...ie the roof air con or satellite dish receiver etc

The important bits , boiler, fridge , cooker, etc I'd obviously hope worked all good. The aldi being my biggest concern as they're expensive. I couldn't see fluid in the reservoir but he told me that was normal when not running , I don't know as I've only had alde heating in one other van . And it was 7 years ago .
I'm gonna go give uncle lenny a quick call to have a wee chat about it and then I'm gonna sleep on it.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Tam I think only you can make the decision
Do you love it? If not leave it. Is it a good price? If not leave it. How much will it cost to upgrade (price you expect to get from Moby to whatever this one costs) too much leave it.

How much are these vans worth? Are you getting a bargain?

Only you know the answers to the questions.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Right I'm low on data and can't go over the Same bits over again so most info I have I've posted up already . That and the ebay listing gives a good idea.

Realistically I can't compare my current van with it as they're 2 very different things in every way .

But I can compare it fairly well to the euramobil I had last year that I bought for 26.5k but sold for 31.5k

If someone had offered me a swap the euramobil for the n&b I'd have ripped their arm from the socket.

It's a far superior van .

So with that in mind it is a good buy , I would like to hope that with the love I'd show it that it wouldn't depreciate drastically in the next few years . I think the pros far outweigh the cons but I'm also aware it carries an element of risk .

Looking at what else is out there for the price range I think the price is pretty spot on IF most of the equipment works. Somethings while being a shame if they don't work I could live without and would either not replace or I'd try and pick up a second hand one ...ie the roof air con or satellite dish receiver etc

The important bits , boiler, fridge , cooker, etc I'd obviously hope worked all good. The aldi being my biggest concern as they're expensive. I couldn't see fluid in the reservoir but he told me that was normal when not running , I don't know as I've only had alde heating in one other van . And it was 7 years ago .
I'm gonna go give uncle lenny a quick call to have a wee chat about it and then I'm gonna sleep on it.
With thinks like the Alde it is worth it just factoring in a full service at the manufacturer , it pays of to look after things properly, solving problems when they appear is not just annoying but also more costly, maintenance is so important👍

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Definitely not

He's a trader remember and currently things he has gold.
He doesn't care about the van you can tell by how he treats it. It's sat up there unlocked in a yard . Madness

But he obviously has money and his attitude is basically if I don't buy it someone will even if he has to wait months.

My view is they don't come up too often at my budget for the spec and layout I want. I know I'm going to have to spend money on it over and above what I'd pay for it which is fine as long as the van is worth more than that at the end of the day.

It's a completely different van from the frankia, euramobil etc you can see and feel the difference in quality of it.

There's nothing on it that can't be sorted out with a good bit tlc .

Tam

That comment is very important and significant. I felt the same after viewing Hymers etc. and the walking into a N&B Arto.

Our Arto is just a year older than this Flair and we have spent little on repairs in 13 years.

My projection is that, once you get that Flair up to scratch, you will be spending little on it in the next 5-10 years. That low future expenditure has to be taken into the equation.

Forget the discussion on external size - you can drive anything and you do not go to campsites.

Comments about 'there will be other MHs coming along' only refer IMO to less quality, but not many N&B, unless you hang around in Germany on mobile.de for months.

[P.S N&B do still support 20+ year-old models, unlike some manufacturers.]

My last comment: 'Quality over price'

Tam, Good Luck with your decision

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
With thinks like the Alde it is worth it just factoring in a full service at the manufacturer , it pays of to look after things properly, solving problems when they appear is not just annoying but also more costly, maintenance is so important👍
It’s £440.04 at Alde to get the fluid changed and checked over etc.

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
They must be summer tyres there’s hardly any tread there.
Are you having a giraffe, I’ve never saw a stone stuck in a bald tyre. 🤔
IMG_8317.png

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tam

That comment is very important and significant. I felt the same after viewing Hymers etc. and the walking into a N&B Arto.

Our Arto is just a year older than this Flair and we have spent little on repairs in 13 years.

My projection is that, once you get that Flair up to scratch, you will be spending little on it in the next 5-10 years. That low future expenditure has to be taken into the equation.

Forget the discussion on external size - you can drive anything and you do not go to campsites.

Comments about 'there will be other MHs coming along' only refer IMO to less quality, but not many N&B, unless you hang around in Germany on mobile.de for months.

[P.S N&B do still support 20+ year-old models, unlike some manufacturers.]

My last comment: 'Quality over price'

Tam, Good Luck with your decision
Yes that is the thing , I've never been in ab N&B before and it is hard to tell from the photos but @mackeelan and I both agreed and commented to each other about how you can feel and see the quality of the interior it just feels solid and well built even down to the door rubbers, seals around the lockers , catches, hinges everything.. nothing feels flimsy or fragile. Its definitely better built than any of my previous vans . I admittedly can see why it's equivalent today is around £200k .

My biggest concerns are high value items , engine, gearbox , boiler, etc things that can swallow a few grand to fix them .

But as we are all aware you could buy a van that's been well used, serviced etc and still get issues so there's never a guarantee.

I have in my mind a price I'd be happy to pay for the van IF I can negotiate in having a new mot done on it and a Cambelt change. The rest I'm happy to fix/replace myself.

So I guess it's just a case of sleeping on it and then speaking to him tomorrow to see if we can come to that agreement. I've not test driven it either partly because where its stored there's a ridiculously narrow lane to get down and it's a big wagon . And because its sat so long. But if he agrees to my offer I will swing by when I leave Jackie's for a quick second look and get him to take it out on to the main road so I can have a wee drive in it.

If he turns down my offer then I'd have to seriously think whether I want to offer more or just leave it for now till a few other viewers don't buy it and he realises its a niche market looking for a van like that.
It's a 20 year old big heavy lhd 2 berth van.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Did you see the date on them Tam ?
I couldn't as it doesn't seem to be on the outside wall . But definitely no signs of cracking etc and it was an advisory on the 2021 mot . They're a make I'm not familiar with so probably not the greatest tyres but I'm confident they were all new 3 years ago. All advisories on previous mots apart from the 2023 one look like they've had some attention paid to them at least .

The date stamp might be on inside wall same as my current van

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
A new Alde boiler for that model is £1500 so will be £2000ish fitted
Well that's not as bad as I thought ...I figured 3 or 4 grand.

Of course I'd still be happier if it worked fine.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Well that's not as bad as I thought ...I figured 3 or 4 grand.

Of course I'd still be happier if it worked fine.
Yes I agree, we’ve just had our fluid changed at Alde last week expensive I thought.
The engineer said we might need a new boiler in the next couple of years due to age(2005) and failure rate at this age, I chuffing hope not as probably the new ones, like everything else won’t be as well made at the originals.
Anyway he told me the price.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Frightened me to death seeing that. Just shows when you have no idea. You know nowt! By the way Tam did you look up on the roof?

Carol
Its just surface rust on an 8/10mm thick steel chassis rail . No serious corrosion.
Unfortunately it's exposed to all the elements so quite common really . If caught now and treated it will last another 20 years under there.

I had a look on the roof but didn't climb on it. The roof was surprisingly clean . Plenty room for solar and only one join on the roof where the fibreglass front meets the aluminium roof. Seal looked a bit mucky with grime but no signs of leaks there .

No smell of damp in the van either just a bit musty from not being aired .
Whole thing needs cleaned from top to bottom

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yes I agree, we’ve just had our fluid changed at Alde last week expensive I thought.
The engineer said we might need a new boiler in the next couple of years due to age(2005) and failure rate at this age, I chuffing hope not as probably the new ones, like everything else won’t be as well made at the originals.
Anyway he told me the price.
The one I had on the frankia kept cutting out . And it had had a previous circuit board replacement which I'd been told was expensive.

I've always thought truma were easier but everyone raves on about alde

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
The one I had on the frankia kept cutting out . And it had had a previous circuit board replacement which I'd been told was expensive.

I've always thought truma were easier but everyone raves on about alde
It’s difficult to know who to believe, I was always told the older Alde systems with the slider control panels like ours and yours(potentially)are bulletproof the newer ones not so much.
Of course it’s also down to who fitted them too.

We’ve never had an apath of trouble with ours on gas electric.

We’ve had, still have both systems no issues with either.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So last post really before I go and unwind and relax a bit before bed.

So the pros and cons comparing to my current van..

Obviously the big one is the storage. I've no desire to go out and buy things to just fill the van up. So a lot of the cupboards will mostly be unused . I don't own enough stuff to fill them. But that also means I will never be overloaded. I will however be able to.lay my hand on things without having to unload a lot of other things to get at it. The garage will carry my wee scooter with ease . I could potentially carry plenty spare dog food and some supplies I can never find in Europe Ie diluting squash , the internal lockers and under floor storage is fantastic .
For the dogs.

The cab passenger footwell where ela sleeps and travels is much bigger shed be more comfortable, milo will fit in a bigger space between cab seats in his bed , there's room to put a large bed and ability to bolt a mounting hook through the floor to put blu in a bed harnessed under the bar table . Safer and less chance of damage done when travelling.

It has 2 drinks cabinets so I can carry wine and look posh.
2 bins , 2 sinks , great worktops . Very wide comfortable sofa , nice sized shower and closed off bathroom bedroom. Good headroom in bedroom. Bright and airy interior . Bigger fridge and freezer with auto change over which I need lol.

The generator if I can get it working and serviced would be a game changer when I need 240v power . Adjustable air suspension at a touch of a button.

Cons.

More noticeable, bigger heavier van , might not be able to access a few places I'm used to going. But can carry scooter no problem for places I'd like to visit without dogs.

More initial outlay. Bigger expense overall .

Might be problems with it In the future but then every van in my budget carries those risks.

Being mistaken for a wealthy upper class motorhomer instead of a flt lol

Probably a few more I can't think of right now.

But overall whether it's this one or not I think a bigger van with a bit of privacy and space would enhance mine and the dogs experience.

The wee van I've got now is a good van overall but had I known my circumstances would be as they are before buying it I probably wouldn't have.

So I think realistically even if I fix all the things on this van don't buy the other one and have this painted in Morocco etc I'd more than likely want to change it next year , and having spent another 1500-2k on it I'm still not sure I'd get back what I have laid out on it. If I was keeping it for several years that wouldn't matter but I can't see me doing that. We manage but I do miss storage space and general living space. Using the shower etc is a hassle.

Anyway that's my last thoughts for tonight.

I'll say goodnight and I'll see how I am feeling about it in the morning

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
Just caught up on the last few posts and to be honest Tam I think you would be mad not to buy it. It’s a perfect van for full timing and yes there are things that need doing but that would be the same with whatever you buy. You would buy it as a keeper but even after getting it all up to scratch and how you wanted it you then decided to get rid of it you would not loose money. All the jobs that need doing can be done while on the road and in Morocco. Good luck for today. 👍

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
Just go for it Tam if you find its not for you then with your ability to turn things around why worry, you know it needs a deep clean and polish that will put £2000 on the sale straight away! There may be other issues but as you said its a 20 year old van, nothing that cant be rectified rather than requiring plugging into a computer! You might be able to get it registered abroad as a historic vehicle like Nicholsongs if you decide to go down that route for living
Oh and when you roll up at aires you can look down on us mere mortals in our little vans! ;)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
You need a much bigger van than Moby.
Mine is 7.5m (as you know) with garage and separate sleeping area.
Looking round it now and there isn't enough room for 4 dogs.
Price wise I don't think you'll do better

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back