MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I thought a tyre change was mentioned for the 2021 MOT:unsure:, if not then they will need to be changed.
I also thought the bloke had been briefed to expect an offer of circa 25K, knowing what Tams like bet he wants it for nearer 22/23.
Come on put yer hand out as they say in the trade.;)
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
Here's my take on the situation for so many interested parties.
The dealers 7 year old son has needed 24 hour care and him and his wife do that. He needs to sleep in the same bed as his parents.....he's really poorly. He bought the van on a hope and registered it in his own name in error, with hindsight.
The van was left by its previous owner in a open fronted barn for nearly 10 years.
2021 and he mots it, puts new tyres on and has it basic serviced ready to roll. Still not used and done only a few miles.
Owner decides he is too ill to use it and sells to the dealer in Jan this year.

So, dealer not interested in the vehicle and wants it gone but at his price. He is not short of money and may wait.
Front end needs little bit cosmetic work as the front of fhe barn was open to sunlight.
Some trims need sorting inside, small areas have light damp damage due to lack of air circulation.
Very little can be checked internally as no water, no gas and no knowledge of equipment by dealer or us.
It appears all manuals are present and some in hardback!
With a little time everything may work including satellite, air con, tv etc.

I think the dealer won't spend the time on it for his own reasons and thinks it value for money at the price he has set. He has only one employee who works 4 days per week and two tech guys (father and son). He has a site full of caravans and 4 motorhomes. The storage yard may have another 10 caravans ready for sorting.

Maybe you can see Tam's dilema. He has a trusty van now but it's unsuitable for his long term living. The new van could be great if it doesn't work out too expensive, you can store two motorbikes in the garage!

Best of luck pal x

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Hasn’t he got a gas bottle to put on and some water just to check stuff works.
Good that it’s not much longer than Moby
90 cm is quite a lot we have just downsized from 7. 49 to 6.65 doesn't sound much but in practice it's a hell of a difference.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
So are the cab side windows ok, did you check thoroughly, sometimes it can be deceiving, ie, they are knackered but in certain light conditions you can see the misting.

Shower tray good?

Rear tyres look like they need replacement so that’s could mean all 6 do?

Full service and cam belt over a £1000

Did you start the generator?

Control panel good?

Was it a leak from roof light?

It will need a few grand spending on it at the least.
Cab windows all perfect, windscreen perfect, all 6 tyres were new in 2021 and airbags renewed then too . Shower tray has 2 very slight cracks but not in the base but where its screwed to wall so not an issue .

Generator had no petrol but was turning over on the switch.

Hab check and fluid service done in October.
Control panel seems ok but as I said no water or gas in the van to check appliances but certified as ok in October. But no mention of out of date gas bottles so not sure how much I trust hab check

I think the skylight has leaked in the past going by the panel covering a water stain. No remote control found for big skloght , roof looks in good condition and surprisingly clean.

And yes I'm aware I will have to spend 3 -5k over and above what I pay for it ... just hopefully not all at once and if its a van I will keep I don't Mimd that as it is my home.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
90 cm is quite a lot we have just downsized from 7. 49 to 6.65 doesn't sound much but in practice it's a hell of a difference.
I agree but

It's the Same length my frankia was and shorter than the euramobil with scooter rack on as that was 8.8metre total .

The bonus is it's not a tag but a single axle and the air suspension goes up and down at the touch of a button when fully up its got more ground clearance than moby has.
Overall width to outside of mirrors is an inch narrower than moby but actual body with is 5 inches wider .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Given that it's over your budget but not over what you can afford... can the work needed be delayed until you earn a bit of gold?
Yes hopefully. If I can get generator working I wouldn't need solar etc right away .

Somethings not as important as others so can wait

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Definitely not

He's a trader remember and currently things he has gold.
He doesn't care about the van you can tell by how he treats it. It's sat up there unlocked in a yard . Madness

But he obviously has money and his attitude is basically if I don't buy it someone will even if he has to wait months.

My view is they don't come up too often at my budget for the spec and layout I want. I know I'm going to have to spend money on it over and above what I'd pay for it which is fine as long as the van is worth more than that at the end of the day.

It's a completely different van from the frankia, euramobil etc you can see and feel the difference in quality of it.

There's nothing on it that can't be sorted out with a good bit tlc .
I think at the suggested price it is a bit of a bargain so hopefully even with the money spend it will still be a good price, also with your standard of care this will still be a quality van in 15 years time if you wanted to👍, like with houses there is always something to fix on a van, it never stops 🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
But, would you want to.
I got the feeling you weren't overly impressed with a lot of your stop overs?
Yes that's the other thing.. I think my style of travelling is changing a little I'm enjoying finding places I can stay for a few days instead of moving everyday hence wanting the scooter etc .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think at the suggested price it is a bit of a bargain so hopefully even with the money spend it will still be a good price, also with your standard of care this will still be a quality van in 15 years time if you wanted to👍, like with houses there is always something to fix on a van, it never stops 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes it's hard to compare it to others as there's not many out there with the same spec. The other uk flairs are fiat based tags and nowhere near as nice.

The body on this will come up lovely with a polish and interior is 90% good with only a few bits requiring attention as mackeellan mentioned

May 11, 2023
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 540
Is it impossible to fit a gas bottle and put some water in to check things? Apologies if I've missed a post covering this.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You need the extra space and so worth the extra hassle of length. This one seems ideal and you can spend some money on making it as you want without taking it over it’s value. I think you will want to find somewhere to stay put for short or longer periods of time, whether here or abroad, and then the living space will be needed.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Solar is cheap enough to add, it gets more expensive if you want go lithium.
And the garage is huge.. its carried 2 big bikes in the past so has chocks ,ramp and toe downs etc all there.

I think the previous owner loved the van just lost his health and sadly the van suffered a bit from being parked up.

But I'm fussy with my motors and if I buy it the underside will be cleaned and painted in Morocco so will the front bumper and arches. The rest is very very good bodywuse.

Underside is solid just a lot if surface rust and a few bits have just had black paint sprayed over it to remove those advisories. It's built like a tank though

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is it impossible to fit a gas bottle and put some water in to check things? Apologies if I've missed a post covering this.
Not impossible. But he's going on the fact it had a hab check done in October.

He really doesn't care about it. I had him there 5 hours today most of that time he spent telling Chris his life story and about his son .. the van is just something there he wants to sell .

If fairly confident all appliances will work . Everything was obviously drained down and switched off years ago and apart from hab check it's not been used since

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I don't think there will be another N&B with that level of equipment, and low mileage history anywhere near 25K. TBH the length would put me off, but then again I don't have 4 dogs to home.
IMHO a 7mtr van or less even is the ideal length for touring as you can slip into many off grid places, provided you have decent ground clearance.
Thats why we see so many experienced Funsters, down sizing to PVC's or Narrow coach builts, they are fed up with trying to fit into in normal car parks, less stress driving through narrow town streets, and they can fit easier on their drives at home, plus reduced Ferry& Chunnel costs.
You only learn these things from your own experience, listening to others is not the same, its all about compromise as usual.
These days people are being persuaded to buy as small as they can get away with, a loo & a shower is a must for many, whereas even only a decade ago, finding park ups was much easier with larger vans, we seemed to be tolerated more with lower numbers arriving at places, now we are a blight on the landscape unless we pay for camp sites, or CCP Aires, which some do, some don't.
There is no simple answer, everyone has different ideas of what is essential, and what is not.

LES
yes but Tam needs the extra space for his family of dogs. Please remember he has no permanent base for them anymore. I say go for it Tam. It has the living space you need:h:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back