MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm currently trying to find ways to secure this scooter on the rack without damaging it. Which is proving to be very difficult. There nowhere on it I can put straps without them either rubbing on paintwork or rubbing on brake hoses or speedo cables etc . I never had as much bother with the cheap Chinese scooter it seemed a lot easier. And I was less bothered about that one. I'll be glad to get it in the garage on the Flair although I might still have issues finding tie down points on the bike.
Should be easy enough in the Flair, use a Rock N Roll clamp for the front wheel and it will stand up on it's own then just around handlebars and the rear grab rail.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm currently trying to find ways to secure this scooter on the rack without damaging it. Which is proving to be very difficult. There nowhere on it I can put straps without them either rubbing on paintwork or rubbing on brake hoses or speedo cables etc . I never had as much bother with the cheap Chinese scooter it seemed a lot easier. And I was less bothered about that one. I'll be glad to get it in the garage on the Flair although I might still have issues finding tie down points on the bike.
I used to use these climbing loops, you could use them around the grips and around rear handle.
1724595036972.png

1724595471205.png

How about racket strap onto foot pegs.
Some of the side trailers, like CaptainPaul is selling, have an arm with clamps that go over grips, maybe fashion something like that out of wood a temporary fix.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Aye in the Flair it won't be so difficult. Its this rack just now that's giving me problems but I think I have it secure enough for now to get me up to wales tomorrow. Just really awkward fastening either the front wheel or the handlebars to this front chock .. my last scooter had little wheels and the body fairing was narrower. This has too many bits that could get damaged
20240825_153910_copy_1209x1612.jpg
20240825_153906_copy_1209x1612.jpg

In the end I've fed a strap through the back wheel and along either side of the bike to the front chock and pulled it forward that way .. it don't move with a good violent shake etc but I'm glad it's only going to be on here once more

20240825_155955_copy_1612x1209.jpg
20240825_155949_copy_1612x1209.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
As you are going back to Gary's why not just leave it there.

Edit:
I see you have done it now.
I was going to but I might be up around Jackie's for a couple of weeks till I get the camper sold , because I can't park the Flair near Jackie's I may have to use the scooter to nip to hers if folk coming to view etc . Might discover I don't need it once up there but I'd rather have the option if need be .

CaptainPaul

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2017
The Land of Saints & Scholars ☘
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu ⛱
Exp
Since 1980s
That's what I was thinking
Tam had a similar situation a few vans ago, kiddies boxing gloves from argos about a tenner place over the hand grip and brake lever and tie at wrist ties, sorted 👍 you can even keep the other glove for chinning people that annoy you en route 🙂

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That handle bar looks mighty close to the van body work Tam
That's what I was thinking
It is very close ...about an inch at most but I can't get the seat bracket on to this scooter properly unfortunately so I've put pipe lagging round the handlebar end and that should stop it doing any more damage ...it had already scuffed one of the decals but I have extra that I can replace that once the scooter is off again. As long as there's no severe potholes or big speedbumps I should hopefully be OK.

This rack is obviously only meant for small wheeled scooters .

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just smiffy will be behind me so if he sees it moving any he'll phone me . Its not moving anywhere at the minute it's rock solid but I'll be gutted if the bike or the van gets any damage..that wee bike is near mint condition and I'd like to keep it like that. Will check its not moved any before I get on the a30 then it's pretty much motorway all the way to Cardiff

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Where I park
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
Exp
Since 1977
Just smiffy will be behind me so if he sees it moving any he'll phone me . Its not moving anywhere at the minute it's rock solid but I'll be gutted if the bike or the van gets any damage..that wee bike is near mint condition and I'd like to keep it like that. Will check its not moved any before I get on the a30 then it's pretty much motorway all the way to Cardiff
You will be sat in traffic on the M5 anyway so plenty of time to get out and check it. 😂👍

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It is very close ...about an inch at most but I can't get the seat bracket on to this scooter properly unfortunately so I've put pipe lagging round the handlebar end and that should stop it doing any more damage ...it had already scuffed one of the decals but I have extra that I can replace that once the scooter is off again. As long as there's no severe potholes or big speedbumps I should hopefully be OK.

This rack is obviously only meant for small wheeled scooters .
Stuff a cushion into a carrier bag and tape it up then jam that between the end of the handlebar and the back of the MH, done it myself in the past and it should ensure no damage.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
I have special tie downs who slide over the handle bars and are crossing to opposite side’s of their handle position, you then hook the ratched straps onto them, it means that any metal from ratched straps are kept well away from any part of motorcycle or scooter, also the bike is parked into a special front wheel bracket, you push the bike into it and it then tumble’s over and secures the bike, lastly I have a rear wheel canvas cover strap cover, it holds the whole rear wheel down with again keeping the straps away from the bike, not to expensive and very secure👍

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I have special tie downs who slide over the handle bars and are crossing to opposite side’s of their handle position, you then hook the ratched straps onto them, it means that any metal from ratched straps are kept well away from any part of motorcycle or scooter, also the bike is parked into a special front wheel bracket, you push the bike into it and it then tumble’s over and secures the bike, lastly I have a rear wheel canvas cover strap cover, it holds the whole rear wheel down with again keeping the straps away from the bike, not to expensive and very secure👍
Yeah I'll need to check out some other straps .

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
That’s exactly what I use too.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back