MOBY GOES TO TURKEY. A tam and pups adventure. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The drive up the west coast was good but the drivers are maniacs
Yes they sit right on your arse and feel the need to overtake .. then 2 minutes later they pull in to a layby or coffee shop etc .. everytime I've had an idiot fly past me recklessly I've either been right behind them at the next traffic lights or I've passed them because they've pulled over for something....it has to be just an adrenaline rush they're after or something as it's utterly pointless. And the road system is mental ...there's very little merge lane to join the main roads so you've got cars pulling out in front of you etc. It's just madness. And the truck drivers are the worst. You'd think they'd appreciate larger slower vehicles needing to slow down for curves etc but no they're right up your arse too

Mental... I'm curious how many deaths on Italian roads

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Having been to Sicily a couple of times and fell in love with the place, the food, the culture etc, no way would I take the MH though as the roads into the villages & towns narrow considerably, with not much chance to do a U turn in many. How those buses & coaches navigate the steep roads with tight hairpin bends is also an education when you stay or visit Taormina in particular they need the full width of the road on the tight bends.
The ideal sized car would have to be something small & narrow like a Fiat Uno, or 500, but a scooter or motor bike would be best as you can get it parked easily.
They have tolls also on all the main routes arround the island which you may need a tag for, but we took the buses and trains to get arround the place.
I had a 15 year gap between visits could not believe how places like Messina had changed, once it was a lovely place with cruise ships visiting, and it had a beautiful landscaped promenade near the harbour, white marble benches and exotic trees & shrubs, with great places to visit. On my return however I nearly cried at seeing the mess it has become, no more cruise ships may be a reason, but there was litter everywhere, and graffiti on walls, the marble benches had been smashed or nicked, and the landscaped promenade was just broken slabs & weeds. The roads were strewn with parked cars, even on the bends in the cities, and they all take no notice of give way lines, or any order on roundabouts, plus using their horn is like changing gear to them.
Bloody Shame the way the worlds going.
PS: there were loads of MH's there though, they must trust their sat navs on van size a lot more then I ever could, plus most stay on sites for long periods to get a reasonable rate.
LES

Last edited:
OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Left rimmini this morning and when I put the coordinates for the vets in the satnav it originally told me 3 hours 9 minutes. Google had said 2 hours 35 minutes but anyway satnav said arrival time 12.37 ....so off we went . We'll as usual Italy one big traffic jam , and we eventually arrived at 13.25 ... and of course the vet closed at 1pm till 4pm lol . So I'm sat In the carpark. Going to have some lunch and just wait till they reopen. I'd sent an email last night but got no reply . So will see what they say in person. I'm hoping they can do it as it would save the hassle in winter having it done in Spain.. I wasted a lot of time last year waiting 2 x 3 weeks for results so it would be great to know its all sorted. And hopefully if she can do it that it's not way dearer than I paid last time. Spain was €160 per dog ....Greece wanted €260 😱

If she can do it I will email christian marks and see if he can copy the results in to the passport when he's doing the worming etc .

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
In 2021, 2,875 people died in road accidents in Italy, an increase compared to the previous year. This statistic breaks down this figure by region where the accidents happened. The one with the highest number of fatal road crashes was Lombardy, in the north of Italy, with 357 deaths

Drive safe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I think regardless of what car, even old wreck, Italian men under 40 drive, they all want to be driving in an F1 Ferrari. Driving from home to work must be like a qualifying lap each day, trying to trim 2/10ths of a second off yesterdays time.
They are just nuts.
LES

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Warming to the theme - Italy is above the average number of EU deaths but by no means the worst.

Rate per million population
% change 2022 in relation to:
201920202021202220212019Average 2017-19
EU-27514245463%-10%-11%
Belgium5643455216%-7%-3%
Bulgaria90678178-5%-15%-17%
Czechia58485050-1%-15%-15%
Denmark3428222618%-23%-15%
Germany373331349%-8%-12%
Estonia39444138-9%-4%-10%
Ireland2930273114%11%9%
Greece645457581%-11%-13%
Spain3729323612%-2%-5%
France5039454911%0%-2%
Croatia73587271-6%-7%-13%
Italy534049539%-2%-5%
Cyprus59545042-16%-27%-26%
Latvia69737860-24%-15%-19%
Lithuania67635343-19%-35%-35%
Luxembourg364238408%18%-6%
Hungary62475656-1%-10%-13%
Malta32211750189%63%47%
Netherlands3430293520%4%7%
Austria473941412%-11%-11%
Poland77665951-14%-34%-33%
Portugal6752546316%-5%-2%
Romania96859286-8%-12%-14%
Slovenia49385440-25%-17%-14%
Slovakia504545460%-8%-8%
Finland38404134-16%-10%-18%
Sweden222020215%0%-17%
Switzerland2226233135%44%25%
Norway2017152355%15%16%
Iceland172224240%50%-33%

Italy 53/million
Bulgaria 78/million - :Eeek:

UK 25/million [2023]

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Failing miserably with the vet ... office still not open ,tried the number get message in Italian I don't understand, try mobile number get told its inactive. Tried phoning 2 other vets get message in Italian.

I'm glad it's not a feckin emergency but I'm not sure what to do now .

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
Yes they sit right on your arse and feel the need to overtake .. then 2 minutes later they pull in to a layby or coffee shop etc .. everytime I've had an idiot fly past me recklessly I've either been right behind them at the next traffic lights or I've passed them because they've pulled over for something....it has to be just an adrenaline rush they're after or something as it's utterly pointless. And the road system is mental ...there's very little merge lane to join the main roads so you've got cars pulling out in front of you etc. It's just madness. And the truck drivers are the worst. You'd think they'd appreciate larger slower vehicles needing to slow down for curves etc but no they're right up your arse too

They have to be first I bet that pis£es off their girlfriends

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Failing miserably with the vet ... office still not open ,tried the number get message in Italian I don't understand, try mobile number get told its inactive. Tried phoning 2 other vets get message in Italian.

I'm glad it's not a feckin emergency but I'm not sure what to do now .
Go for a coffee and ask the waiter to translate the message 🤔

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Left rimmini this morning and when I put the coordinates for the vets in the satnav it originally told me 3 hours 9 minutes. Google had said 2 hours 35 minutes but anyway satnav said arrival time 12.37 ....so off we went . We'll as usual Italy one big traffic jam , and we eventually arrived at 13.25 ... and of course the vet closed at 1pm till 4pm lol . So I'm sat In the carpark. Going to have some lunch and just wait till they reopen. I'd sent an email last night but got no reply . So will see what they say in person. I'm hoping they can do it as it would save the hassle in winter having it done in Spain.. I wasted a lot of time last year waiting 2 x 3 weeks for results so it would be great to know its all sorted. And hopefully if she can do it that it's not way dearer than I paid last time. Spain was €160 per dog ....Greece wanted €260 😱

If she can do it I will email christian marks and see if he can copy the results in to the passport when he's doing the worming etc .
I'm sure Christian will get able to do it. He is a very strange man but I love him. He has a very strange sense of humor. Cheapest vet for worming we've ever used.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm sure Christian will get able to do it. He is a very strange man but I love him. He has a very strange sense of humor. Cheapest vet for worming we've ever used.
Yes he seemed nice enough just a very weird sense of humour . And as you say very cheap. €8 per dog he charged me last time. I got charged €87 for 2 dogs in France the year before

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I just hope she doesn't slap me with a huge cost as I did ask how much but she said she couldn't remember as not something they do every day 🤣

But she will tell me when I take blu in at 7.50

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I've sent him an email anyway to ask ... hopefully it's OK but maybe best to ask first just incase.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It's been cloudy and cooler today which has been most welcome. Dogs have enjoyed it too ... no constant panting etc. I think tomorrow is much the same then it's back to 30° . I was speaking to a local just now who says this is the coldest summer in his life.... hes 26 lol
i told him i was suffering

Google translate is very helpful

...but I think you use it anyway.
Aye but it's no good on recorded phone messages.

This vet did speak a fair bit of English but still a few misunderstanding. I thought she said 7.50 but it was apparently 7.15 , blood has been taken now but after she did it then she informs me she's not sure how the application is done for someone not living in Italy so has to ask a colleague tomorrow, I suggested she speak to.the other vet silvia but she says they don't work together only in the Same building .. I goy the impression they don't get on . .. and she uses a different laboratory from the other vet it seems. So I'm just hoping it all works out ... I don't know how I always manage to overcomplicate things but I do . It cost €150. , no receipt or invoice lol.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Lovely pleasant 16° tonight and we had a good bit of rain earlier.. have to say its lovely. Looking forward to a night's sleep without sweating like a priest in a borstal. Will see if this vet has any more questions in the morning and I'll get a receipt for my payment just incase then we will head off oop north.

The little news flash things on my phone just reminded me that the election is tomorrow... and that Labour looks set to clean up. And Scotland is on a knife edge... well its better than what's in power now and better than farage i guess.

So the country should be all sorted by the time I get back next month.

Lovely.

Have to say though Jonathan pie should definitely get a job for the BBC lol

Could you imagine this while having yer tea

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hey Tam, if you want to let your frustration out just call the idiotic Italians 'stupido' (male) or 'stupida' (female) ... I used the former when we were in Italy, I didn't know what the correct word was so just made it up by adding 'o' to the end of 'stupid' and using an Italian accent ... turned out it was a real word! :LOL:

A few more for you to use as appropriate ... :giggle: ... I particularly like 'credino'. :LOL:

1720048234451.png

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Lovely pleasant 16° tonight and we had a good bit of rain earlier.. have to say its lovely. Looking forward to a night's sleep without sweating like a priest in a borstal. Will see if this vet has any more questions in the morning and I'll get a receipt for my payment just incase then we will head off oop north.

The little news flash things on my phone just reminded me that the election is tomorrow... and that Labour looks set to clean up. And Scotland is on a knife edge... well its better than what's in power now and better than farage i guess.

Lovely.

Fabulous, one of his better ones, and so very true, all parties should just have used this one as their election promotional video 😆😆😆

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Fabulous, one of his better ones, and so very true, all parties should just have used this one as their election promotional video 😆😆😆
He used to do satire now he just speaks the truth lol.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Right 09.20 here and neither of the vets have turned up ... so I'm going to head off. I think/hope the vet has everything she needs from me I'm just a little concerned that she didn't seem sure what to do and has to ask someone. In hindsight I should have just waited and saw the other vet this morning . I find it a little weird that they both work out of the same practice but don't communicate with each other... ..so I'm just hoping I don't get a call in a day or two telling me some legislation prevents her from doing it because I don't live in Italy or something...or worse still I hear nothing at all as basically I paid her €150 cash and got no receipt, invoice or anything lol. She just took the blood and my details and photos of blu's passport etc .

I may be worrying unnecessarily as I often do. Hopefully all goes smooth.

My email to Dr Christian marks got returned undelivered so I will have to try and phone him instead.

The problem with these tests is none of the vets I've dealt with seem to do them very often so it feels like I'm telling them how it's done rather than them telling me.

Anyway I'm heading north towards lake garda but not actually to lake garda as I imagine that will be hell this time of year .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ah as luck would have it ...the other vet has now Turned up. I had a wee word but she has a patient so I'm just waiting till he's finished. I'm going to ask her if she could tell the other vet what she did with Paul's dogs and that might make things easier.
That's good, I was just going to post , I wouldn't leave till you had it sorted.

OP
OP
Northernraider

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just spoke to silvia de boni lovely woman very happy to help, she spoke with other vet on phone and it seems the concern was with payment as she has to prove where it came from and without Italian address that's apparently complicated but all sorted now I believe and receipt will be sent by email along with results etc .

Somehow though she thinks I'm Paul and I was here before ...but too complicated to explain otherwise.

So hopefully have results next week by email .. we will see

Right it's getting warm so we are off

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years

Lovely.

And the probable new lot will be no different despite all the promises, remember Tony and his WMD work of fiction. Then theres Diane Abbott who thinks it's okay for her kids to attend private/ grammar schools but not for everyone else's and dear old Emily Thornberry who ridiculed and insulted families in the Medway Towns for flying the Cross of St George... Same old same old just a different colour badge.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back