May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Mr Drifter... how are you doing?

Just want to point out that the advice one receives from internet forums comes from folk who have different levels of knowledge.

Almost everyone is trying to help but sometimes folk just repeat things that they have read on other forums or heard when chatting outside their vans, without actually having the experience or any real knowledge on the subject in hand.

Bearing this in mind, in my opinion, you will find it hard to get any better advice about motor homing matters than that which you receive from the Sundowners.

Trust me... they are my neighbours! (sort of)

JJ :cool:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
This is purely a theoretical question (I’ve no opinion on generator use!) but isn’t the thingy under bonnet basically a diesel generator? Why can it not have some sort of setting purely to charge batteries in neutral? If it can heft three and half tonnes of MH about, surely it can put some oomph back in the batteries now and again?
Because it will wreck your engine, diesels should always be driven straight off never left on tickover after starting. They never get up to operating temperature on tickover which causes glazed bores and various other problems. it also wrecks the DPF & CAT. Could be a very expensive exercise.

Last edited:

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Because it will wreck your engine, diesels should always be driven straight off never left on tickover after starting. They never get up to operating temperature on tickover which caused glazed bores and various other problems. it also wrecks the DPF & CAT. Could be a very expensive exercise.

Guess I should stop faffing about in the van before we go, then! I wondered if there was some sort of problem with it. Except it must be surmountable, because generators exist....

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Had one of those Impax things. It ran about 8hrs before it went phutttt. Then I saw sense and bought the Honda. :gum:

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Then with the greatest respect, I suggest you put off any purchase until you find out ;). It's not as if these generators will suddenly stop being on sale. And it might save you a bit of cash.
Is there anything you use that will be particularly a heavy drain on your battery?

I have just one panel [120w], a lower efficiency pwm controller & 2x 100ah batteries.
Whatever I seem to use during the day/evening is usually replenished by the time I get up - even on a grey day like today.

I don't particularly care if you buy a generator or not because you won't be using it anywhere near me :whistle:!
Do I seem in a rush? I’ve stated I don’t even have a MH until next Friday, that’s why I’m asking now. Otherwise I’d have it delivered today
I’m asking because I genuinely don’t know being total noob to MH so I appreciate all appropriate input

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
What would you use it to power? What appiences etc do you have in your mh?
[/QUOTE
charge batteries, charge phones, iPad, tv, computer, shower, and pretty much any electrical device we may use
I don’t have a MH yet. Collect it next Friday so not really sure.
I have actually had a real conversation with real MH owners/users who have suggested I get a genie so I’m asking for recommendations

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Do I seem in a rush? I’ve stated I don’t even have a MH until next Friday, that’s why I’m asking now. Otherwise I’d have it delivered today
I’m asking because I genuinely don’t know being total noob to MH so I appreciate all appropriate input
YES about a year too early I think, get the van, optimise solar and battery capacity, add an inverter if you want 240v then if you run out of power think about it again but not for space heating that is what gas is for.

Martin

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
YES about a year too early I think, get the van, optimise solar and battery capacity, add an inverter if you want 240v then if you run out of power think about it again but not for space heating that is what gas is for.

Martin
So I should sit in the dark with no internet for a year? Who mentioned space heating. What is it..?
I’m not being rude but have you read my input and what I was looking for answers to? People seem to be inventing answers to questions they want to answer
I’m not in a great rush to buy a gennie, I want my MH to be a home from home when we get it and am looking for the best solution to answers to questions which don’t exist yet
So many folk have suggested Honda silent gennies there must be a need to supplement power somewhere somehow.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

A suggestion; use your MH in the way that you want to for several months - if not longer. Work out how often you run out or nearly run out of power (duration or capacity for appliances) to determine the output needs of the generator.

Chat to genny users and look at the logistics of having one; payload and purchase cost vs frequency of use. Some owners will use theirs every trip for their microwave or hair dryer. Other use them once a year to check they still work. Other owners regret the expense and space taken up because the have alternative power suppliers or just found that they have sufficient battery capacity.

I know that you wouldn't have asked if you didn't think that it was really needed but I thought I needed one when we moved up from a campervan to bigger van. That was 6 years ago. We've had hundreds of nights away in the van and only run out of power once - after 4 days in a wet and windy Scotland - out 90AmH battery has been sufficient.

I'd wait before buying one to work out frequency and power needs.

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
A suggestion; use your MH in the way that you want to for several months - if not longer. Work out how often you run out or nearly run out of power (duration or capacity for appliances) to determine the output needs of the generator.

Chat to genny users and look at the logistics of having one; payload and purchase cost vs frequency of use. Some owners will use theirs every trip for their microwave or hair dryer. Other use them once a year to check they still work. Other owners regret the expense and space taken up because the have alternative power suppliers or just found that they have sufficient battery capacity.

I know that you wouldn't have asked if you didn't think that it was really needed but I thought I needed one when we moved up from a campervan to bigger van. That was 6 years ago. We've had hundreds of nights away in the van and only run out of power once - after 4 days in a wet and windy Scotland - out 90AmH battery has been sufficient.

I'd wait before buying one to work out frequency and power needs.
I live in wet and windy Scotland which is why I worry about the usability of solar power. For the first few months / year we don’t intend going too far so relying on sun might be optimistic
When you say sufficient, do you use much 240 power? Use Internet, live off grid?
I want my MH to be absolutely flexible and useable in all conditions and a gennie seems to fit the bill within a reasonable cost- if the generator I listed is useable and realistic
Under 300 quid is not a great expense, 1000 quid for a Honda is.
I’m looking for feedback on people who use gennies, or people who have and found them a waste of time. Some folk love them and think they are the answer, some folk see them as the devils offspring which gets in the way of objective replies

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So I should sit in the dark with no internet for a year? Who mentioned space heating. What is it..?
I’m not being rude but have you read my input and what I was looking for answers to? People seem to be inventing answers to questions they want to answer
I’m not in a great rush to buy a gennie, I want my MH to be a home from home when we get it and am looking for the best solution to answers to questions which don’t exist yet
So many folk have suggested Honda silent gennies there must be a need to supplement power somewhere somehow.
If you are sitting in the dark with no internet you have a bigger problem that deciding wether or not to buy a generator yet, but I think you want one wether you need it or not so just press the button.

Martin

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
If you want to buy a generator, then buy one Oh Please!... but as you haven't even got a MH yet, how on earth do you have a scooby whether you're going to need one ?
Oh Please!? Haha, ok
imagine asking for people’s actual experience on a internet chat forum for MH . I can only agree with your obvious frustration ?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I live in wet and windy Scotland which is why I worry about the usability of solar power. For the first few months / year we don’t intend going too far so relying on sun might be optimistic
When you say sufficient, do you use much 240 power? Use Internet, live off grid?
I want my MH to be absolutely flexible and useable in all conditions and a gennie seems to fit the bill within a reasonable cost- if the generator I listed is useable and realistic
Under 300 quid is not a great expense, 1000 quid for a Honda is.
I’m looking for feedback on people who use gennies, or people who have and found them a waste of time. Some folk love them and think they are the answer, some folk see them as the devils offspring which gets in the way of objective replies

No, we don't use any 240v nor do we have solar - our devices (TV, water pump etc) are all 12v. One battery is sufficient for 4 of us for 3-4 days off grid in poor conditions. We use the internet - a 12v powered dongle or tether our phones and are fine for surfing the web etc.

You'll generally find a many responses about them on this forum - I've known people who will power them up just to heat a tin of soup, those that run them for hours to provide heating for their awnings and power their 42 inch TV through to other that despise them for the smell, noise etc but as several people have said, use your van first to work out how much power you'll need and when. You won't want to get one too small or over-spend.

For some people, using their MHs is about getting away from many of the devices they use at home - we have a 12v TV with DVD player and use it when it is pouring with rain and we have a break from games and reading. Most of the time it stays at the back of the cupboard. I can't advise any more if you really expect to be doing everything in your mh that you would do at home but in my experiences and those of many other people, you'll spend more time doing other things and you'll not use appliances in the same way.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Oh Please!? Haha, ok
imagine asking for people’s actual experience on a internet chat forum for MH . I can only agree with your obvious frustration ?

You are likely to run out of people to give you advice at this rate. The responses to this question might not be to your liking but those who have posted have answers to many more questions that you might like to have answered.

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990

A mh can never be a home from home, no matter how hard you try, unless you buy a bus sized one. If you really do need a home from home and a genny to support it, then you will need to look at the power requirements for the dish washer, full sized washing machine and tumble dryer, and don't forget the freezer.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have never had a generator, never needed one, and we wild camp all the time, never use sites at all, and spend up to 2 months away. The ONLY time we had power issues was over Christmas and New Year when we spent a few days in one spot but we have an electric-only fridge now and that hammers the batteries, up until then we've never had to be concerned about it.

As you'll have a 3-way fridge I would say sit on your hands for now (or hide your wallet!) and see how you get on, the chances are that you will not need one at all.

Just to add, we now have a generator which we bought after we got back home in January as we intend to go away over winter for much longer and with our fridge will need it but we haven't used it yet.

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
If you are sitting in the dark with no internet you have a bigger problem that deciding wether or not to buy a generator yet, but I think you want one wether you need it or not so just press the button.

Martin
I was making the point you said wait a year, and I’m not sure why. I want to use home comforts and am asking advice on generators or otherwise. I’m not sure solar will meet my needs in Scotland
You might be right tho, I think I do need one and won’t not buy one in case it upsets anyone who hates them irrationally
So tomorrow or in the coming week I will buy the one I’ve listed. I will love the power it supplies and the noise won’t be an issue to me, I,ll just turn the stereo up ?

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
But even when you're faced with very sensible suggestions as to why you might have no need of one, you come back with illogical responses like "sitting in the dark for a year with no internet".
Until you know what you will actually use, you have no conception as to what your power needs will be... LED lighting is very frugal, phone/tablet/mifi charging very frugal... 12v tv for a few hours, not much... heating on gas, so blown air fan, not much...
Unless you have some particularly heavy consumption, as yet unrevealed, then 2 batteries & solar will probably do it...
If you have medical needs like a CPAP or motability scooter that needs recharging... unless you're never going to move your MH... why do you think you need a gennie... what on earth will you power?

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
You are likely to run out of people to give you advice at this rate. The responses to this question might not be to your liking but those who have posted have answers to many more questions that you might like to have answered.
The responses I have issue with entirely ignore my question so I’m not too fussed if they don’t answer questions I don’t ask
I have had some fantastic advice on this site, this thread in truth isn’t a great success so it might be time to let it rest, cheers

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
But even when you're faced with very sensible suggestions as to why you might have no need of one, you come back with illogical responses like "sitting in the dark for a year with no internet".
Until you know what you will actually use, you have no conception as to what your power needs will be... LED lighting is very frugal, phone/tablet/mifi charging very frugal... 12v tv for a few hours, not much... heating on gas, so blown air fan, not much...
Unless you have some particularly heavy consumption, as yet unrevealed, then 2 batteries & solar will probably do it...
If you have medical needs like a CPAP or motability scooter that needs recharging... unless you're never going to move your MH... why do you think you need a gennie... what on earth will you power?
I think I might need a gennie because I live in Scotland, will mostly use it in Scotland and I enjoy internet, my electric bike, tv, heating, lighting, iPad etc. I asked a question about having a flexible alternative to sunshine to meet my needs when no hook up is available as the weather can often be grim and I want to use my MH all year
In an ideal world I would agree, silent solar is the way forward. I was just looking for plan b and I don’t want to spend many monies and live in the dark when a few hundred quid and a tin of fuel will enhance my lisure time when off grid wild camping or away from sunshine

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I think I might need a gennie because I live in Scotland, will mostly use it in Scotland and I enjoy internet, my electric bike, tv, heating, lighting, iPad etc. I asked a question about having a flexible alternative to sunshine to meet my needs when no hook up is available as the weather can often be grim and I want to use my MH all year
In an ideal world I would agree, silent solar is the way forward. I was just looking for plan b and I don’t want to spend many monies and live in the dark when a few hundred quid and a tin of fuel will enhance my lisure time when off grid wild camping or away from sunshine

Your e-bike is the one thing that you might need the genny for; I can't comment on the power requirements of them. Many of us do everything else without one. Even those of us without solar. We don't live in the dark and we use our MHs throughout the year.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You do know that you'll get wet don't you messing about setting up your genny and putting it away again. :eek:

I know that the real issue is ... you are desperate to get your MH but can't have it yet so in the meantime needs to buy something to play with ... boys and their toys! ::bigsmile:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Well your first misconception is that a solar panel needs actual sunshine... it doesn't.
More efficient in bright sunshine obviously but park under a street light or even moon light will put a little back in.
You're not listening & that's fine... buy a generator, most likely waste money on Plan B when it won't be necessary.

Get your MH, spend a night in it, see how much juice you actually use... then pop along to Screwfix if you want...

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
BTW... where will you store it in your MH? Does it have a sealed fuel tank... what about fumes?
What's your payload like? Will you have capacity for genie, fuel, especially if you're taking a couple of e-bikes too

Last edited:

Deleted User
I’m just about to buy a generator from Screwfix 1,5 kw for use in MH for when no hook up, does anyone use one or suggest something better?
It’s a suitcase type and at 18 kg easy to handle. I was working for an old fella today who uses it in his MH and he recommended it. Seems decent for the price
It looks like the only answer you are going to get is ' we don't have a clue about the generator you mention, however, we don't like them and so must impress upon you not to like one also, we aren't going to say we don't know about the generator in question we are just going to turn the question into something else and apparently convince you that you should not have asked the question in the first place indeed you should have congratulated everyone on their choice of solar and additional batteries'...looks like your guilty of looking for answers and information so that you can weigh up alternatives for yourself, how dare you!

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It looks like the only answer you are going to get is ' we don't have a clue about the generator you mention, however, we don't like them and so must impress upon you not to like one also, we aren't going to say we don't know about the generator in question we are just going to turn the question into something else and apparently convince you that you should not have asked the question in the first place indeed you should have congratulated everyone on their choice of solar and additional batteries'...looks like your guilty of looking for answers and information so that you can weigh up alternatives for yourself, how dare you!

It looks like you don't understand the responses.

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
May 25, 2019
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
I’m just about to buy a generator from Screwfix 1,5 kw for use in MH for when no hook up, does anyone use one or suggest something better?
It’s a suitcase type and at 18 kg easy to handle. I was working for an old fella today who uses it in his MH and he recommended it. Seems decent for the price
This was my original question for those who seem to have missed it
I know sunshine isn’t required, but beneficial. What some seem to forget is my auto lights on car often trigger during the day as it’s so dark . Scotland can be dark in daylight and often only 6 hours on a good day in winter
I don’t have a 12v tv, I like light, I like internet, we will watch dvd, my Mrs wants a hair dryer , I want my electric bike charged, we want music and we might even go crazy and hoover the place
I’m not a noise invader, I don’t want to annoy anyone nearby, I just honestly want to make the most of our home from home. And yes it will be within limits
So I will not ignore good advice, but I will veer away from emotional knee jerk reactions which ignore or disregard my question
Let’s just ignore this now and move on.
Thanks to all for their input. I will decide for myself what is best in my mind

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back