Camping Gaza

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back

Supposed to be good says uk campsite.co.uk! But personally noise don't bother me I'm as deaf as a post

Clarke IG2200 Features:
  • 12V battery charging facility (12V DC @ 8.3Amps)
  • Low oil and overload shutdown
  • Recoil start
  • Running hours @ ¾ load: 7
  • Fuel Consumption @ ¾ load: 1ltr/h
  • Noise level at 7m (1/4 load): 60.5dB(A)
  • Includes two 13Amp, 230V sockets
  • Dims (LWH): 542x288x486mm
  • Weight: 26.6kg

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
View attachment 308755

Supposed to be good says uk campsite.co.uk!

Clarke IG2200 Features:
  • Recoil start
That’s a bit of a heavy weight but much quieter, how much is it?

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Where has that come from? Bit nasty
Wasn’t intended as nasty, I’ve read your input as condescending and wrong, when questioned I have been ignored
If I have misunderstood your input I apologise
Whatever it is, I wish you good night

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
430 quid but its 2.2 KW so a bit heavy
Wish I knew what the noise levels were in real life. Might be worth it even at the extra weight and cost. I really don’t want to cause annoyance

Camping Gaza

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Apparantly, as I have looked into this for a few months the top rated for reliability, noise and the dogs doodats are Kipor, Honda, SDMO and Hyundai because of the engines in them.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Wish I knew what the noise levels were in real life. Might be worth it even at the extra weight and cost. I really don’t want to cause annoyance

You will always cause annoyance with a genny even if its switched off near others in MoHos Ha Ha!!! losing battle I am afraid!

If it was me I would get the Clarke 2.2KW, good for around the house, can run power tools, can heat your MoHo, can power microwave cooker etc, can charge your batts. Just use your head with it around others.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
Apparantly, as I have looked into this for a few months the top rated for reliability, noise and the dogs doodats are Kipor, Honda, SDMO and Hyundai because of the engines in them.
I’m guessing not many of them cost £280 quid or weigh 18k?
As with all things in life it’s a compromise so I’m not looking for cheapest, I want the best overall package but it seems it’s no easy answer

Camping Gaza

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
then look at output power, 700watts is at full chat, and is pretty usless really. you want one that can cruse along giving you the power you need and have enough reserve when you need it. just like a car. 2.2KW is about right really. Oh also you need one with INVERTER Tech, if you dont you will bugger your TV, microwave computers etc. so thats why the good ones are expensive.

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
You will always cause annoyance with a genny even if its switched off near others in MoHos Ha Ha!!! losing battle I am afraid!

If it was me I would get the Clarke 2.2KW, good for around the house, can run power tools, can heat your MoHo, can power microwave cooker etc, can charge your batts. Just use your head with it around others.
That looks like it might fit the bill, exactly why I aske on here
awaiting other input.
One week until we collect MH so all ears

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
then look at output power, 700watts is at full chat, and is pretty usless really. you want one that can cruse along giving you the power you need and have enough reserve when you need it. just like a car. 2.2KW is about right really. Oh also you need one with INVERTER Tech, if you dont you will bugger your TV, microwave computers etc. so thats why the good ones are expensive.
That’s not quoting the original I posted is it?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We always carry one a 1kva, purely to charge batteries if needed, ie no sun for solar panels for days on end, and security if you get caught out with a flat engine battery, it’s happened on more than one occasion. No we don’t run it next to anyone, we don’t like that ourselves. Wouldn’t be without ours, we always like to be independent.

OP
OP
Drifter

Drifter

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low profile c class
Exp
We always carry one a 1kva, purely to charge batteries if needed, ie no sun for solar panels for days on end, and security if you get caught out with a flat engine battery, it’s happened on more than one occasion. No we don’t run it next to anyone, we don’t like that ourselves. Wouldn’t be without ours, we always like to be independent.
That’s exactly what I’m after, what model did you buy? Any thoughts on useage and performance?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I just don't believe 53dB, that is background noise in a quiet suburb. Is this reading taken from another post code or with it switched off?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
That’s exactly what I’m after, what model did you buy? Any thoughts on useage and performance?

Originally we purchased a red 2.3kva Kipor, a copy of the Honda, found out it wasn’t equivalent to pure sinewave, so sold that and bought the yellow one, at a good price from a mate. Used that for a few years but found it very heavy and we only seemed to use it to charge batteries when needed. Sold that, then bought a Honda 1kva which we bought through our business and got vat free. Can’t really fault the kipor, we had a good few years out of that when fulltiming, still going strong when we sold that. The Hondas are a lot more expensive, but you get what you pay for. But for ease of handling and for the reasons we use it, we wouldn’t be without ours. We’ve had ours ten years now. Starts first pull. We get about 9 hours plus out of a tank which holds 2.27 litres. If you work it hard it would obviously run for less hours. 1kva = approx. 1000 watts, that is its max. But we would only run it at 900 watts or less. We have now settled on a piece of land in Portugal, still use our 1kva and have run an airconditioner on our caravan we have just purchased with it, but it is running at maximum revs. Not fair on it, so have just purchased a secondhand Honda 2 Kia to run the aircon., with this amount of watts we can also run other items at the same time as long as we do not exceed the 2000 watts, in reality, probably only 1800 watts. Hope this helps.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Keep a look out on ebay or on here for a secondhand Honda, they come up occasionally, they should still be good for a few more years. Perhaps the people on here who say theirs sit in there garage as never use them, might offer them to you for sale.?

Also we used to run it in a canvas dog kennel, one for keeping the weather off, but also for sound deadening, it made quite a lot of difference, plus the genny was not in view when not in use. Make sure you have a good chain and lock attached to it to your motorhome, although some people on here regard them as the devils toy, they are very desirable by some and will be nicked.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Described as low noise but no dB figures given, makes me very suspicious. I haven't used my generator in years, a B2B and a bit of solar keep my medical equipment going all night.
98db according to the video I shared earlier!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
This is purely a theoretical question (I’ve no opinion on generator use!) but isn’t the thingy under bonnet basically a diesel generator? Why can it not have some sort of setting purely to charge batteries in neutral? If it can heft three and half tonnes of MH about, surely it can put some oomph back in the batteries now and again? I appreciate it may not be a perfect set up, but give that gennies aren’t used very often, surely it would do the job adequately once in a while? After all it already has its own dedicated storage compartment and computerised interface!
The problem is that it will eventually knacker the bits and bobs associated with the engine, DPF etc and it doesn't do an engine any good sitting on tick-over for long periods which is what you'd need to do. Okay for an 'emergency' but not for regular use.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I had 6.5kva gennie as OE built in on my RV , when you need one its worth its weight in gold . I had 450ah hab with 980w of solar . But it can work that the gennie is needed . With a 50 amp charger it doesn't take long to wack a few amps into the battery ., plus with quiet set up not that much of a disturbance. JMHO

see here for quiet box specs plenty of similar

Ivory55

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
If you build a ply box with sounds absorbing tiles to suppress the noise, what if you ran some 12v computer fans to aid air flow would that overcome the heat problem ?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I get the idea of a generator might upset some but I’m sure most can see the occasional benefits too. The vast majority of the time we will be on site with a hook up, then wild camping with solar then a very small useage of the generator if and when required but never as a first option

What would you use it to power? What appiences etc do you have in your mh?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
View attachment 308755

Supposed to be good says uk campsite.co.uk! But personally noise don't bother me I'm as deaf as a post

Clarke IG2200 Features:
  • Recoil start
That is going to be flipping noisy, did anyone else notice how they fudged the noise figures?

They are quoting them at 7 m, the standard for noise measurement is 1 m, also only on ¼ load.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have solar but I’m not convinced it will do enough to meet my hopes.
Then with the greatest respect, I suggest you put off any purchase until you find out ;). It's not as if these generators will suddenly stop being on sale. And it might save you a bit of cash.
Is there anything you use that will be particularly a heavy drain on your battery?

I have just one panel [120w], a lower efficiency pwm controller & 2x 100ah batteries.
Whatever I seem to use during the day/evening is usually replenished by the time I get up - even on a grey day like today.

I don't particularly care if you buy a generator or not because you won't be using it anywhere near me :whistle:!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back