Driving your motorhome at night (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
When chatting to the Doctor who completes the forms for a C1 extension on a driving licence, I was told that quite a few applicants do not meet the required eyesight standards. Perhaps regular eyesight tests should be mandatory in drivers over a certain age?

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Just over 50 years ago Mrs Rod and I did our last car rally as our first born was soon to arrive. Prior to that (in the early '70s) we had competed reasonably successfully in club night rallies me navigating and she driving behind the best headlights and spotlights of the time. As others have said attention to screen cleanliness, light lens cleanliness and washer / wiper action even then being very high in priority as they are now.
That was, as I say over 50 years ago, now there are so many variables that have changed for all of us in our 70s.
I think, besides aging eyesight, there is the phenomenal change in lighting both on and off vehicles. Yes LED headlights are fantastic if you are behind them but often those facing a driver dazzle very easily as the line of sight passes in and out of the very sharp cut-off of the dipped beam and boy how those extra bright white lights reflect and sparkle in any wet road surface or vehicle.
My eyesight still allows me to drive with reasonable confidence and enjoyment in the dark although inclement weather makes it less so. Mrs Rod's eyesight is not so good in bad light conditions so she doesn't enjoy it any more.

I was another night rally driver in the early 70s. I really enjoyed it. I am not too bothered about driving at night, unless I am tired, but I am beginning to notice more the dazzle effect caused by some LED car headlights set too high. I think the current auto-dip feature in many cars dips from main beam very late.

I find potholes difficult to spot in the dark. The other heffalump trap is where the Council has widened the kerb, so the kerb suddenly juts out into the carriageway with no advance warning sign. Dangerous at night. White lines are not repainted often enough, and so become invisible especially when the surface is wet. This can result in being in the wrong lane when approaching traffic lights or roundabouts, on an unfamiliar road.

Finally, the dark makes those 20mph zones and traffic calming tables and humps seem worse too.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Love driving at any time in any weather, but have been struggling with night driving recently which was bugging me because I drive at least 3 nights a week. On close inspection of my glasses they have got lots of tiny scratches on the lens surface so I found the spare pair Specsavers had given me as a sorry we cocked up (but that's a whole different thread) and bingo no problem driving at night, all of the flaring and bad focus was due to my one year old glasses.

Never use those lens cleaning tissues. They ruined a pair of mine by degrading the lens coating.

Linda farley

Free Member
Jan 6, 2018
Funster No
I enjoy driving at night.

I had started to find it really difficult with the glare and flare from oncoming headlights….. made worse by folk whose own eyesight is not what it used to be and who think fitting brighter lights, made even worse with incorrect dip patterns, is the answer to their problem.

It is now just over 12 months since I had my cataracts removed and good quality (not on the NHS) extended range lenses implanted. I now no longer need to wear glasses (which I have had to do for short-sightedness since the age of 10) and I am happy to drive at night once again. (y)

Perhaps it may be a good idea for some Funsters to visit their Optician? :unsure:
Sounds a good idea to visit the optician and explore costs rather than waste time going blind enough to be treated by nhs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
About 3 months ago l stopped night time driving as the dazzling headlights and lack of cantrast was unsafe. I wear varifocal glasses. I have eyes tested yearly and am aware l had a cataract for the last 3 years. Last visit to the optician l mentioned my stopping driving at night l was referred to an eye clinic for cataract removal. 4 weeks ago it was completed and the improvement was amazing. Distance vision and contrast has improved so much l don't need glasses for driving. I can only suggest that anyone with cataracts should have them removed. Regarding the dazzling effect of LED headlights l wonder how many them are retrofitted to to halogen reflectors.

Jun 12, 2023
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Used to love driving the Sprinter Van PVC with its excellent LED headlights but the Carthago, with it's one candle power headlights is somewhat more challenging ...
Yep sounds like my ten year old C-Tourer

Apr 14, 2013
Tranmere Park
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2000
Definite theme of not night driving in this thread. Could not agree more Also cannot drive for the same length of time as I used to. Just older but wiser I guess
Can’t say it makes any difference to me - I’m 79 and still love driving any time of the day or night, car or motorhome. Sure lights are generally brighter than when I was younger, but then again so many things in life are different than they were!
Definite theme of not night driving in this thread. Could not agree more Also cannot drive for the same length of time as I used to. Just older but wiser I guess

difference to me

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
I have yellow tinted prescription sunglasses that I use when flying to “cut through” haze. Never tried driving with them at night but, given the last 100 replies, I’m not sure whether to try that or not.

I got new prescription lenses recently even though my prescription had only changed very slightly. But what a change! Years of cleaning specs with tissue paper resulted in invisible scratches which, nonetheless, dramatically reduced the effectiveness of the lenses.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
I much prefer driving my van than the car, higher up gives a better view day or night.
When driving to the Dover ferry from Yorkshire l prefer to drive overnight to catch the 4 am ferry as the roads are so much quieter. I used to do that in one drive but l prefer a stop these days, or nights !, an age thing.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I used to prefer to travel at night, but these days I find it more difficult. How about you? Do you like night driving. Do you have any tips, tricks or advice I could add to this article? Cheers

I think it's an excellent guide, nothing really to add except maybe encourage people to think about how much interesting scenery they miss by driving at night.
At night you might as well be in a tunnel and have negligible connection to the world around you. Why have you gone somewhere if not to experience it?
But if you really MUST drive at night, don't struggle with the 'stay awake' tips, get some sleep earlier in the day. Driving tired is as dangerous as driving drunk. DON'T!!

Mar 28, 2021
Central Belt, Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 4
Exp
Since 2022
I’m happy to drive at night now that I have added a pair of Lightforce driving lamps to my full beam as the standard halogen Sprinter headlights are very poor (it’s a 4x4 which MB lift by 4 inches which makes the headlights too high off the ground for LEDs according to UK regs apparently).

I just regard night driving as an extra risk to be taken into account when journey planning, like wet/snowy/icy roads, high winds, Belgian drivers…

Post #77 has some great advice, thanks PP Bear . I would add: to ensure the inside of the windscreen is clean too as an accumulation of your exhaled breath and dust is just as capable of causing glare as road grime on the outside. Don’t use a glass cleaner that makes it sparkle.

Mar 31, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon Tiki 784
Exp
Been caravanning for years but now ordered my first motorhome
Thats a relief I thought I was the only one who finds night time driving now pain.
My wife and I attended a Christmas dinner last week with four couples who are all the same age late 60s and none of us like night time driving.
I find vehicle L E D lights blinding when approaching them and for the past few months have avoided driving at night I had a recent eye test and was told there was nothing wrong with my eyesight

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
When I was having eye attention in the Eye Hospital, I sat with a mature grandmother who was having her first cataract operation. She said, "I'm glad they are now dealing with my cataracts. I don't like driving in the day. I can only just see just beyond the bonnet. I don't like taking the kids to school in the car. It isn't so bad in the dark because my lights helped."

I never met her again but I still think about what she said and the school run. And whether she was telling the truth.

Mar 31, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon Tiki 784
Exp
My wife has had both cataracts done we are of to the eye clinic tomorrow for her annual check up we had some friends a few years ago who were about tenders older than ue when we went out to a restaurant at night they would only drive on main roads which at the time I found strange I certainly don't find it strange now.

CAB96

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 31, 2021
Stockport, UK
Funster No
MH
T6 Leisuredrive
Exp
4+
I think the move away from orangey / yellowy vehicle lights to cool (blue) white lights and LEDs has something to do with it, as well as the move away from sodium street lighting. I think it is far less effective for seeing at night.

There is a short stretch of road in central Stockport where they have installed LED lighting which is noticeably blue in colour. Almost deliberately blue. It is appalling, very difficult to see lines and kerbs compared to the more conventional lighting on the adjacent A6.

Mar 31, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon Tiki 784
Exp
I think the move away from orangey / yellowy vehicle lights to cool (blue) white lights and LEDs has something to do with it, as well as the move away from sodium street lighting. I think it is far less effective for seeing at night.

There is a short stretch of road in central Stockport where they have installed LED lighting which is noticeably blue in colour. Almost deliberately blue. It is appalling, very difficult to see lines and kerbs compared to the more conventional lighting on the adjacent A6.
Totally agree I was involved with a major supermarket chain and was involved in conversations at the warehouses and stores when I visited the first converted store the first thing I noticed was the difficulty in focusing on shelf items

Jun 7, 2022
Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
I've very recently had cataract surgery which is great for daytime vision (no more need for glasses) but all lights now have halos round them which I'm finding rather weird. I'm avoiding night driving at the moment and hoping the halo effect will eventually go away. Anyone else with these multi focal lenses experiencing this?

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
My wife has standard lenses and finds that stars and small lights have a crescent of light, but she says headlights from cars are ok. Her lenses are about 18 months old.

Mar 31, 2022
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Kon Tiki 784
Exp
Wife had hers done last year we went to the eye clinic yesterday as she had to have some laser work done to her eyes to correct some problems she was having nu

Nov 18, 2011
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2001
I used to prefer to travel at night, but these days I find it more difficult. How about you? Do you like night driving. Do you have any tips, tricks or advice I could add to this article? Cheers

Had my cataracts done, 2 years ago, best Christmas present ever, at Spa Medica, in Staffordshire, on the NHS, everything, colours, driving, the difference is unbelievable 😀

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195

I used to love driving at night not any more must be an age thing
Even in town the lights are not very bright at all
Still enjoy driving but nothing better the a stop a nice cup of tea
And a power sleep in the cab
As the years roll on for myself and my wife
I wonder how long I can keep up the driving
But think positive

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Article in today's DT

1704980478577.gif

We’ve all noticed it. The proliferation of excessively bright headlights is one of many slowly worsening situations on Britain’s roads, joining increasingly distracted and speeding drivers and the soaring rates of drug driving in threatening drivers, pedestrians and cyclists alike.

It’s not exactly a scintillating dinner party conversation, and it ranks fairly low in the wider list of existential headwinds currently affecting British households, but it’s becoming a huge problem – nine out of 10 respondents to a recent RAC survey said that headlights are too bright, and about three quarters said they were regularly dazzled.

“Between 2013 and 2022, there was an average of six fatal collisions per year where bright or dazzling headlights were a contributory factor,” says Rod Dennis, public affairs officer at the RAC. “On average, there are around 280 collisions of different severity each year attributed, at least partially, to dazzling headlights.

I’m not even sure that tells the whole story. The Government is obviously relying on these relatively low numbers, claiming that they don’t need to do any more work on it, but the data is two years out of date now and the strength of feeling among road users proves that this is a problem.”

There are several factors fuelling this dangerous phenomenon. Firstly, headlights are indeed getting a lot brighter, thanks to several successive “improvements” to bulb technology. From the flickering acetylene lamps of the early automobile, to the once-futuristic xenons and HIDs of the not-so-distant past, to the high-intensity LEDs and high-power laser lights of today, car headlamps have increased in brightness consistently for decades.

LED headlights are 20x more powerful than halogen

1705056848245.png

But almost as important is the prevailing shape and stature of cars today. In the 1990s, even as advanced headlight technology was making them brighter and clearer, most cars were roughly the same height. You’d be in your estate car and a hatchback would come the other way, with headlights approximately corresponding with each other. Nowadays, every other car is effectively a truck, with headlights at or above waist height.
Thirdly, nobody really knows what they’re doing with their cars anymore. British motorists may want the fastest, biggest, most imposing cars, but would baulk at the prospect of doing any actual work to them. As such, your common or garden BMW driver probably has no idea how or why he would adjust his headlights to prevent them blinding oncoming traffic.
“LED headlights are here to stay,” says Rod. “That’s not about to change. But technology moves, and regulation is supposed to move with it. As a driver, particularly in rural areas, you’re going to get a better view of the road and be safer if your headlights are bright and illuminate more of the road ahead.
“But the people benefiting from this technology might be causing safety problems for other people, which is why we need more research not just into brightness but also alignment and the other factors that cause people to be dazzled. Some people say we should ban LEDs, others say it’s about alignment. We need more data and more research.”

There’s another issue which I’ve noted in my role as a road tester. Automatically dimming headlights, which first appeared on high-end models almost a decade ago but which are now relatively prevalent across all market sectors, simply do not work. They didn’t to begin with, and while they might have improved a tad, they still don’t function correctly now. That is to say, they fail to adequately anticipate oncoming cars, and wait until another vehicle’s lights are in view before dimming – by which point the other driver has already been dazzled.

That’s if they work at all. In cars I’ve been testing, automatically dimming headlight systems have routinely ignored oncoming vehicles, and have no way to detect pedestrians or poorly lit cyclists. Adoption of this new technology has comfortably outpaced its performance.

“I’ve driven cars with this system and it’s far from perfect,” says Rod. “It varies by manufacturer. It’s vital that drivers know how to manually adjust their main beam.

“As cars do more for us now, there’s an extent to which we become reliant on that technology, and when it doesn’t behave as we expect it to sometimes we think that doing these small tasks, like engaging and disengaging the main beam, maybe doesn’t feel like our job anymore.”

Car manufacturers are commercially compelled to keep up with the Joneses. Omitting new technology from their product puts them at a competitive disadvantage, even if that new technology is functionally useless to the majority of their customers. Most Land Rover owners will never need a 3.5tonne towing capacity or a 90cm wading depth; few Bentley Continental owners will ever approach its 208mph top speed.

Similarly, the ability of a new BMW to illuminate half a mile of Bavarian wilderness is largely irrelevant to owners who live within the M25, but that hasn’t stopped BMW from installing high-power laser lights which it claims will do precisely that.

“I’ve noticed it from around 2009 onwards,” says Daniel Hardiman McCartney, a practicing optometrist and clinical advisor to the Royal College of Optometrists. “But significantly over the past three years or so.

“I work in Suffolk, where the roads are long and straight and where a lot of people drive 4x4s,” explains Daniel. “I get people in-clinic who are increasingly worried about headlights and driving at night.

“It’s affecting people’s independence. We’re seeing people who aren’t particularly old – 60 or 70 – who just don’t drive after 6pm.

The timeframe Daniel describes broadly corresponds with my own experience, as well as the anecdotal reports of other motorists and – crucially – the popularisation of high-intensity headlight technology. The Royal College of Optometrists knows that this is an issue, has published articles in its journal and commissions academics to research into what is quite a complicated issue, but Daniel says there’s a paucity of data and that experts need to learn more before regulations can catch up. Crucially, though, there’s a behavioural aspect that probably can’t be explained using watts and lumens alone.

“This morning I did the school run and I was flabbergasted at how many people still had frost on their windscreens,” says Daniel. “How can you possibly see clearly when you haven’t taken the time to clear ice from your car?”

Proposed changes to the way headlights are designed could filter through onto our roads by 2027, subject to ongoing deliberations by policy experts at the United Nations. Changing people’s inconsiderate or unsafe behaviour may not be as straightforward. It’s clear that this dangerous, unpleasant phenomenon will be a feature of our roads for a number of years to come; for now, car manufacturers are locked in a headlight brightness arms race, and regulators are turning a blind eye.

Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I posted the following on another thread yesterday. Perhaps it may have been better to post on this tread………..

A couple of recent reports from the Consumers Association may be worth reading. I found them interesting and helpful. The first explains the different types of vehicle bulbs and their test findings. The second, on whether or not so-called night driving glasses are safe to wear, would certainly deter me from using them.

www.which.co.uk

Car headlight bulbs explained - Which?

We explain the different types of car headlight bulbs now on offer, from LEDs to xenon bulbs, and their benefits to help you choose
www.which.co.uk
www.which.co.uk

www.which.co.uk

Are night driving glasses safe to wear? - Which? News

Glasses with yellow lenses are touted as helping to reduce dazzle from headlights at night, but experts say they aren't a good idea
www.which.co.uk
www.which.co.uk

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
Article in today's DT

View attachment 853779

We’ve all noticed it. The proliferation of excessively bright headlights is one of many slowly worsening situations on Britain’s roads, joining increasingly distracted and speeding drivers and the soaring rates of drug driving in threatening drivers, pedestrians and cyclists alike.

It’s not exactly a scintillating dinner party conversation, and it ranks fairly low in the wider list of existential headwinds currently affecting British households, but it’s becoming a huge problem – nine out of 10 respondents to a recent RAC survey said that headlights are too bright, and about three quarters said they were regularly dazzled.

“Between 2013 and 2022, there was an average of six fatal collisions per year where bright or dazzling headlights were a contributory factor,” says Rod Dennis, public affairs officer at the RAC. “On average, there are around 280 collisions of different severity each year attributed, at least partially, to dazzling headlights.

I’m not even sure that tells the whole story. The Government is obviously relying on these relatively low numbers, claiming that they don’t need to do any more work on it, but the data is two years out of date now and the strength of feeling among road users proves that this is a problem.”

There are several factors fuelling this dangerous phenomenon. Firstly, headlights are indeed getting a lot brighter, thanks to several successive “improvements” to bulb technology. From the flickering acetylene lamps of the early automobile, to the once-futuristic xenons and HIDs of the not-so-distant past, to the high-intensity LEDs and high-power laser lights of today, car headlamps have increased in brightness consistently for decades.

View attachment 853784
But almost as important is the prevailing shape and stature of cars today. In the 1990s, even as advanced headlight technology was making them brighter and clearer, most cars were roughly the same height. You’d be in your estate car and a hatchback would come the other way, with headlights approximately corresponding with each other. Nowadays, every other car is effectively a truck, with headlights at or above waist height.
Thirdly, nobody really knows what they’re doing with their cars anymore. British motorists may want the fastest, biggest, most imposing cars, but would baulk at the prospect of doing any actual work to them. As such, your common or garden BMW driver probably has no idea how or why he would adjust his headlights to prevent them blinding oncoming traffic.
“LED headlights are here to stay,” says Rod. “That’s not about to change. But technology moves, and regulation is supposed to move with it. As a driver, particularly in rural areas, you’re going to get a better view of the road and be safer if your headlights are bright and illuminate more of the road ahead.
“But the people benefiting from this technology might be causing safety problems for other people, which is why we need more research not just into brightness but also alignment and the other factors that cause people to be dazzled. Some people say we should ban LEDs, others say it’s about alignment. We need more data and more research.”

There’s another issue which I’ve noted in my role as a road tester. Automatically dimming headlights, which first appeared on high-end models almost a decade ago but which are now relatively prevalent across all market sectors, simply do not work. They didn’t to begin with, and while they might have improved a tad, they still don’t function correctly now. That is to say, they fail to adequately anticipate oncoming cars, and wait until another vehicle’s lights are in view before dimming – by which point the other driver has already been dazzled.

That’s if they work at all. In cars I’ve been testing, automatically dimming headlight systems have routinely ignored oncoming vehicles, and have no way to detect pedestrians or poorly lit cyclists. Adoption of this new technology has comfortably outpaced its performance.

“I’ve driven cars with this system and it’s far from perfect,” says Rod. “It varies by manufacturer. It’s vital that drivers know how to manually adjust their main beam.

“As cars do more for us now, there’s an extent to which we become reliant on that technology, and when it doesn’t behave as we expect it to sometimes we think that doing these small tasks, like engaging and disengaging the main beam, maybe doesn’t feel like our job anymore.”

Car manufacturers are commercially compelled to keep up with the Joneses. Omitting new technology from their product puts them at a competitive disadvantage, even if that new technology is functionally useless to the majority of their customers. Most Land Rover owners will never need a 3.5tonne towing capacity or a 90cm wading depth; few Bentley Continental owners will ever approach its 208mph top speed.

Similarly, the ability of a new BMW to illuminate half a mile of Bavarian wilderness is largely irrelevant to owners who live within the M25, but that hasn’t stopped BMW from installing high-power laser lights which it claims will do precisely that.

“I’ve noticed it from around 2009 onwards,” says Daniel Hardiman McCartney, a practicing optometrist and clinical advisor to the Royal College of Optometrists. “But significantly over the past three years or so.

“I work in Suffolk, where the roads are long and straight and where a lot of people drive 4x4s,” explains Daniel. “I get people in-clinic who are increasingly worried about headlights and driving at night.

“It’s affecting people’s independence. We’re seeing people who aren’t particularly old – 60 or 70 – who just don’t drive after 6pm.

The timeframe Daniel describes broadly corresponds with my own experience, as well as the anecdotal reports of other motorists and – crucially – the popularisation of high-intensity headlight technology. The Royal College of Optometrists knows that this is an issue, has published articles in its journal and commissions academics to research into what is quite a complicated issue, but Daniel says there’s a paucity of data and that experts need to learn more before regulations can catch up. Crucially, though, there’s a behavioural aspect that probably can’t be explained using watts and lumens alone.

“This morning I did the school run and I was flabbergasted at how many people still had frost on their windscreens,” says Daniel. “How can you possibly see clearly when you haven’t taken the time to clear ice from your car?”

Proposed changes to the way headlights are designed could filter through onto our roads by 2027, subject to ongoing deliberations by policy experts at the United Nations. Changing people’s inconsiderate or unsafe behaviour may not be as straightforward. It’s clear that this dangerous, unpleasant phenomenon will be a feature of our roads for a number of years to come; for now, car manufacturers are locked in a headlight brightness arms race, and regulators are turning a blind eye.
I didn't know 'automatic dipping' was even 'a thing'! But I can quite see people who have it would presume reasonably perhaps that it actually works so why would they even need to know where the dipswitch is! (Just left of the clutch pedal in my experience!)

So I have sympathy with all parties but isn't the cause of those collisions due as much to how the dazzlee responds? When I see headlights approaching I've got my dipswitch, my footbrake and my view of the nearby kerb all very much in mind.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
but scares the crap out of the driver in front.
In the Uk I always had silver mirror film from B pillars back. solves any rear light problem as you barely know anyone is there& the added bonus is it actually blinds the vehicle behind whose headlights they are
Those cars that creep along, often with queues behind them on unlit roads with a National speed limit.
or even slow down & stop as they are, in reality , blind & shouldn't be driving.
In fact here in spain it is probably even worse at night as most should either be wearing glasses as a licence requirement or banned from driving as blind & that is during the day.At night it is down right dangerous out in the sticks.
I never met her again but I still think about what she said and the school run. And whether she was telling the truth.
Oh she probably was & telling the truth .They are out there even here in spain.frightening . In fact here in spain it is probably even worse at night as most should either be wearing glasses as a licence requirement or banned from driving as blind & that is during the day.At night it is down right dangerous out in the sticks.
Article in today's DT

View attachment 853779

View attachment 853784

I often wonder how they get on here in spain as headlight output is measured at the itv(mot) & if excessive is classed the same as having no brakes? The vehicle cannot be driven away to be fixed it must betaken away & returned on trailer/recovery truck.
years back when we replated vehicles many Uk vehicles couldn't be done without bulbs being changed,. The discovery with long range driving lights used on full beam was one. 75candlepower = about 950 lumens used to be the maximum. So in the link above only the first vehicle would be legal.
When drl's became the norm the law had to be modified here to accommodate there excessive light output.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Jun 13, 2020
Bradford
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 684
Exp
I posted the following on another thread yesterday. Perhaps it may have been better to post on this tread………..

A couple of recent reports from the Consumers Association may be worth reading. I found them interesting and helpful. The first explains the different types of vehicle bulbs and their test findings. The second, on whether or not so-called night driving glasses are safe to wear, would certainly deter me from using them.

www.which.co.uk

Car headlight bulbs explained - Which?

We explain the different types of car headlight bulbs now on offer, from LEDs to xenon bulbs, and their benefits to help you choose
www.which.co.uk
www.which.co.uk

www.which.co.uk

Are night driving glasses safe to wear? - Which? News

Glasses with yellow lenses are touted as helping to reduce dazzle from headlights at night, but experts say they aren't a good idea
www.which.co.uk
www.which.co.uk
I only wear my yellow over glasses in daylight to reduce glare, never in poor conditions (heavy rain, fog) or when dark. when not in daylight, it is even harder to distinguish where the kerb is, and also islands in the road.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back