Driving your motorhome at night (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

BikerGraham

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 19, 2021
Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Funster No
MH
Autograph 75-2
Exp
camping and caravanning since a kid. New to motorhomes
Try to avoid it if possible but still do a fair bit of driving during the hours of darkness.
Agree it’s an age thing and I find it a damn sight more tiring than I use too.

But darkness and rain is just deadly on British roads nowadays.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
Other vehicles' brighter high tech headlights often misaligned makes night driving more of a chore
I don't think it's all to do with our age or deteriorating eyesight.

ge GIF
Our car has very bright LED headlights which self level. I think they are set too high and we know we dazzle oncoming traffic at times. Mentioned it to the dealer who tells me they are fine.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Try and stay local at night. Never plan to drive MH at night as we like to be tucked up in bed, but would if need be. It’s slightly easier being in a raised driving position and we wouldn’t go through urban and central Bristol.
Driving the car just round to daughter’s last week, we were waiting at the top of our road as a single large bright led light was approaching from the right. What is it? A car with one light out, a scooter, yes its a scooter, but it’s not going very fast……at last a bicycle came slowly by. The light was so bright that it blacked out all around it.
The other bugbear around here are the many road humps so you get a continuous flashing in your eyes as you go along the road, then in an urban area with parked cars restricting the road, there are the “thank you” flashes when you wait - I never flash at night.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I drove at night as shifts dictated for most of my working life but being retired now it’s rare I have to drive at night and I can’t say I enjoy it now.
If we are away with the van we try and be were we are staying overnight before it goes dark.
My father never admitted he had problems driving at night later in his life but had a piece of dark Perspex he put on his side window. Apparently it cut down the glare from cars behind him in his door mirror.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I've always loved driving at night, whether driving a truck for work or driving a truck with my race car in ,it's always been the 'thing to do' for me.
I do the same with my motorhome, drove from leicester to saundersfoot at night a couple of months ago and off to whitby next week....over the moors at midnight.
Oncoming lights dont bother me but what does bother me is driving a vehicle with modern lights, they are awful, imo, I've had the misfortune of driving a new audi and bmw this month and the lights are just weird, they became a little disconcerting and it's like they dont show everything....very hard to explain...I jumped straight into our 2010 ford ka and it felt like I had the main beam on after being in the bmw 🤷‍♂️

Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I have hated driving at night for years and didn't think it was a problem until I drove Mr Gina M one night on the motorway and he was shocked at how many times I braked when it wasn't necessary as oncoming cars lights were nearly blinding me. He said I was terrible and had to stop driving at night. Got my eyes tested and they were fine but now I drink and he drives :giggle: (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have hated driving at night for years and didn't think it was a problem until I drove Mr Gina M one night on the motorway and he was shocked at how many times I braked when it wasn't necessary as oncoming cars lights were nearly blinding me. He said I was terrible and had to stop driving at night. Got my eyes tested and they were fine but now I drink and he drives :giggle: (y)
Sounds like a result do you drop the plates washing up on purpose too!

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Just over 50 years ago Mrs Rod and I did our last car rally as our first born was soon to arrive. Prior to that (in the early '70s) we had competed reasonably successfully in club night rallies me navigating and she driving behind the best headlights and spotlights of the time. As others have said attention to screen cleanliness, light lens cleanliness and washer / wiper action even then being very high in priority as they are now.
That was, as I say over 50 years ago, now there are so many variables that have changed for all of us in our 70s.
I think, besides aging eyesight, there is the phenomenal change in lighting both on and off vehicles. Yes LED headlights are fantastic if you are behind them but often those facing a driver dazzle very easily as the line of sight passes in and out of the very sharp cut-off of the dipped beam and boy how those extra bright white lights reflect and sparkle in any wet road surface or vehicle.
My eyesight still allows me to drive with reasonable confidence and enjoyment in the dark although inclement weather makes it less so. Mrs Rod's eyesight is not so good in bad light conditions so she doesn't enjoy it any more.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I'm still OK driving at night, though I far prefer the day.

The big issue I'm going to have to resolve somehow is the pitiful lighting at night when going astern! I have to find a way to fit some good LED lights which light up the area at the back and, more importantly, the area at the rear sides of the van, as it's almost impossible to see clearly when reversing at night.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I have a cataract developing in my right eye and, as you say, that affects night vision.

In daylight, wearing corrective lenses, I manage 20/20 vision. At night headlight glare makes it difficult to see, particularly when driving my Ducato based motorhome where the candle flame flickers within the headlight Unit. How could FIAT ever imagine that those headlights are bright enough to penetrate more than about 20 metres of darkness?
Hi.
True. They are not the best headlights . Tongue in cheek... " I drive a bit quick.......so.......... I see more 20 metres quicker. " As for the Black speedo and Red needle. , tucked away in the darkest place of the dash board........... Old gals' still on MPH, have fitted a K/m. HUD unit on the top of the dash...... Win-Win. Our daughter got it for me,,should have done it years ago, plugs in the ciggy lighter. Just over 11 euro's. numbers about an inch high.
Tea Bag

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
A lot of people complained when Xenon Headlamps were used on cars.

Now We Have LED technology ( we were always warned not to look directly into the bulbs).

Latest BMW's have two sets in driving mode

People who drive with Front Fogs on drive me crazy. The extra glare effects my sight.

Nissan Jukes seem to be the worst

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Like many, used to enjoy night driving, but mostly avoid it now.

Consequently, just not used to it.

But worst of all, driving when it's dark and wet! :rolleyes:

Can do it, but normally not necessary these days. 🙂

Mar 28, 2010
Wirral
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer 504
Exp
Since 1995
I prefer not to drive in the dark overnight because of the impact on my sleep over the next day or so. I will drive in the dark overnight if necessary. As I said in another thread, it's difficult to get on/off our drive in the dark. Having a passenger helps. And pleasant radio programmes.

What I like is driving in the early morning such as 4am and watching the sun rise as we go on our merry way.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
When I need to cover large distance, night driving it’s best. My personal experience is crossing most of Europe to get to Romania from London. Now we do it 2-3 times a year.

So, for this Christmas time away, we set of Monday night, crossed to Calais and had the road to myself all the way to Koln. Got there 4am and slept. Up at 12pm wash eat and set off at 2pm, until, I hit rush hr. Stop for dinner and off again at 7pm, now I,m at the Austrian border stoped for a Coffe. We’ll set off and make the most of the empty roads, hopefully will stop midd Austria. Roadworks are much easier with less traffic, constant speed, more economic and any diversion it’s trough empty sleepy towns.
I have done it for years, and night time is the most easier for long distance. Need to have plenty of screen wash, glasses for glare, mist rain etc. and stop every 2 to 4hrs for few mins. Works for me

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Tips for driving at night….clean windscreen so no rainbow scattered glare. Clean mirrors and side windows, clean rear view mirror if fitted and again, the rear window, if you have one. I use my rear view mirror all the time, even dipped. Also, great to have music in reach, as the radio transmits rubbish in the later and earlier hours. I also lock my doors and especially the habdoor.

I dim the dash lights too, as the glare can get to you after a while. Make sure screenwash bottle is full and wipers are in pretty good condition, as night driving in the rain with a dirty screen, is dangerous. Have your phone and satnav plugged in and charging, so you have full batteries when required. I also keep an LED torch on charge in the cab, that gives off a bright light if needed, but also flashes red as well.

Probably more, but nothing springs to mind at the moment 👍🏻

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
I prefer driving at night, less traffic. But these led lights are way too bright. Even in the daytime they blind you. I found those yellow glasses one can buy stops a lot of the glare at night, just have to get used to them.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Not so bad on motorways as everyone going same way. Not on A roads though. Too dangerous. My eyes are not up to it.

When we travel in Europe its all daytime. Could actually manage without headlights at all.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I prefer driving at night, less traffic. But these led lights are way too bright. Even in the daytime they blind you. I found those yellow glasses one can buy stops a lot of the glare at night, just have to get used to them.
The science behind the yellow glasses at night is the same as the reason the French used to use yellow headlights. The blue end of light is scattered most yellow filters cut out that part of the spectrum so it can reduce scattered light. The reason they abandoned yellow headlights in France is they realise that using a filter cuts out some of the light that you see with and as most people who suffer with glare tend to be in the age group with cataracts and less light transmission overall it's not a great idea! If they seem to work for you fine but personally I wouldn't recommend a yellow tint at night and in some countries they could be illegal.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
4 berth coachbuilt
I used to enjoy driving at night when I was in my twenties. Not so much now.

But, I think the real difference now is the extra traffic. You could drive for miles without seeing another car, so day or night made little difference. Now it is just a constant glare.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Don't like driving at night in/on anything in any country.
Years ago it was no bother, now no way.

Nov 22, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
A night drive was coming up, only short. My tension rose a little at the thought of it. Off I went to HS2 damaged country A road ready to do battle. HOORAH!! I'd forgotten THIS road had a solid white line on the left hand side of the road all the way. Yippee. It was so much easier.
More carriage way white lines on the edge please. Cheap and very cheerful - safety for all ages.

Dec 13, 2019
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2019
A night drive was coming up, only short. My tension rose a little at the thought of it. Off I went to HS2 damaged country A road ready to do battle. HOORAH!! I'd forgotten THIS road had a solid white line on the left hand side of the road all the way. Yippee. It was so much easier.
More carriage way white lines on the edge please. Cheap and very cheerful - safety for all ages.
Lines that are visible would be a start where we are. Most of them are worn away or breaking up. While they are on with sorting that, they could also clean the road signs that they fine us for not obeying. We pay enough for the privilege of driving on the roads. Rant over. Merry Christmas all.

May 18, 2022
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
I am a newbie
Millcourt and Guigsy are correct
As we age we all develop a degree of cataract! Laser eye surgery can increase glare
If you’re over 60 full eye check is free!! This is one of the reasons and specifically ask about the level of cataract and night driving!!

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
my pet hates are the intense blue headlights and the dimwits who don't dip until they've come round a bend or over a brow and given me a full-face blinding with their headlights even though my approach was obvious from seeing the overspill of my dipped lights lighting up the trees or other roadside features well in advance of my vehicle being in their direct line of sight.
I do wonder how much this is caused by new vehicles having auto dipping headlights. My new car has that facility, but I have noticed that although it is very quick changing to dipped on level roads when cars approaching, it cannot anticipate approaching traffic when going up over a hill and therefore does not change very quickly. I turn auto off when in hilly countryside, because I am better able to see the loom of approaching headlights and can dip mine quickly, but I think many people (most perhaps?) do not bother.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Millcourt and Guigsy are correct
As we age we all develop a degree of cataract! Laser eye surgery can increase glare
If you’re over 60 full eye check is free!! This is one of the reasons and specifically ask about the level of cataract and night driving!!
Good advice on the testing but it's not possible to accurately predict the effect of a certain amount of cararact on night vision neither is it possible to measure cataracts. A small cataract at the point of the lens where light is concentrated can have a huge effect on vision in a different position the effect could be negligible.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I do wonder how much this is caused by new vehicles having auto dipping headlights. My new car has that facility, but I have noticed that although it is very quick changing to dipped on level roads when cars approaching, it cannot anticipate approaching traffic when going up over a hill and therefore does not change very quickly. I turn auto off when in hilly countryside, because I am better able to see the loom of approaching headlights and can dip mine quickly, but I think many people (most perhaps?) do not bother.
Our car has auto-dipping headlights. I found that on occasion it was slow to react to oncoming headlights. When it was, I hit the dip switch manually to protect the oncoming driver but, quite often that was just as the auto-dip was cutting in and I ended up switching the auto-dip back onto high beam.

After this happened a few times I disabled the function.

Dec 18, 2014
London
Funster No
MH
Elddis 185
Exp
since 2010
A friend of mine has had a problem with glare when driving at night and tried using yellow tinted over glasses lenses and said what a great improvement they have made
Far less glare

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back