Driving your motorhome at night (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 30, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach-built
Exp
Since 2013
I used to prefer to travel at night, but these days I find it more difficult. How about you? Do you like night driving. Do you have any tips, tricks or advice I could add to this article? Cheers

Night driving much better since cataracts removed and lenses replaced, now no need for glasses. The yellow night time ‘shades’ didn’t bring any benefit!!

Mar 26, 2021
Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner A645 Active
I used to prefer to travel at night, but these days I find it more difficult. How about you? Do you like night driving. Do you have any tips, tricks or advice I could add to this article? Cheers

As a relatively young? (45) Funster I don't have a problem driving at night, the moho (03 ducato base) could do with better lights when on unlit roads.
I'm on the look out for a bull bar which I could add additional driving lights to. As a child of the 80s I like the rally style look of a quad of round spotlights on the front!
I also find the lights built into the bottom of the over cab structure illuminate the dash which is not ideal when on unlit roads.
I'm thinking of making some mini shrouds to go around them to try and reduce that.
On smaller local roads in the UK in prefer nighttime driving as you can see the enemy coming and can slow down in narrow sections. I did find daytime driving better when we went to the south of France in 2022 because you can see far enough ahead on the auto route to speed up in advance of the uphill sections to keep the momentum going.
On a separate note, I've seen glasses (generally the more expensive ones) advertised with anti glare costings and those yellow ones are said to be better for night driving. If anyone can recommend those?
All the best.
Simon

Aug 4, 2022
Weymouth, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria maxivan twin
Exp
1st family Dormobile 50 years ago
I've always disliked driving at night due to being dazzled by on coming traffic. When I had my Freelander with its higher driving position than a car I found night driving a lot easier and now in my Adria I have fewer issues but if I'm in my car I will happily drive on roads I know well ie M3/London, M5/Bristol Airport and all of Dorset as I don't have to continually look for road signs or junctions so I can concentrate on the road in case I get dazzled.

Apr 19, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Don’t mind driving at night if we have to, but prefer to be parked up before dark when possible. There must be plenty of people who love driving in the dark as regularly vanners arrive at park ups and aires at all times of the night and start clattering about as if everyone should be awake 😂😂 Anyone who uses such stops will have experienced it.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming

As a cab owner/driver for 32 years I drove mostly nights and didn't mind it at all except on very wet dark nights, but now in my 70s I really don't like night driving at all, I think that our eyes at older age are less tollerant of dark night driving also my wife insists that we are parkedup by nightfall .......just my thoughts..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jordy74

Free Member
Jun 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
c class
Like many other funsters i have come to hate night driving mainly because of the brightness of the new lights on cars ime sure also that some arent adjusted correctly.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Chausson 788
Exp
20 years
I have not read all posts, but, admit or not as you get older you don't like driving at night, I have to admit you lose a bit of confidence when driving and think that's why I don't drive a lot at night

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
It does seem to be an age thing for sure

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I was just thinking about this tonight when driving my car. I had lens replacement surgery 8 years ago. Every year I have a check up and am told that I have 20/20 vision. No need for glasses. The headlights on my car, and the MH are superb and I can see great in the dark intil vehicles are coming towards me. The vehicles that don't seem to cause me grief are those with old, duller, headlights. I am wondering if these super headlights the majority of vehicles now have is creating a new problem? I also agree with post #7 about the amount of reflection in the cab of an A-Class. It is probably the biggest difference, in beth daytime and nighttime driving, that I am aware of since recently changing from a coachbuilt MH.
Now, I do prefer to be parked up in the MH before dark.
Safe and happy travels all.
There been a recent report about accidents being caused by the blue light from LEDs blinding drivers . The old yellow light is kinder to the eyes

This is not the report I saw but its thought provoking

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
You should not wear a tint to drive at night it will reduce the brightness of oncoming headlights but also reduce the amount of light reaching your eye when that pedestrian dressed in dark clothes steps out into the road.
I am sorry but have to disagree here.
I have had a pair of prescription lensed driving glasses made and they have a yellowish-green tint inbuilt into the lens and they are not only good in sunlight, but brilliant at night as they cut out certain light wavelengths caused by high powered or badly adjusted headlamps, turning them into almost a similar type as they used to gave in France, ie Yellowish.
They are also absolutely brilliant in fog!
Got them from Specsavers and cost about £150.
Very Useful in Sun or at night.
Think they are , or were, marketed as part of their 'Driveware' range.
But, each to their own.

Jul 21, 2023
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
vw crafter self buil

when I was a lot younger, I loved driving at night. there is nothing like seeing the sun come up whilst driving but now the enjoyment has gone out of night driving

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I am sorry but have to disagree here.
I have had a pair of prescription lensed driving glasses made and they have a yellowish-green tint inbuilt into the lens and they are not only good in sunlight, but brilliant at night as they cut out certain light wavelengths caused by high powered or badly adjusted headlamps, turning them into almost a similar type as they used to gave in France, ie Yellowish.
They are also absolutely brilliant in fog!
Got them from Specsavers and cost about £150.
Very Useful in Sun or at night.
Think they are , or were, marketed as part of their 'Driveware' range.
But, each to their own.
I can only explain the optics and science if they work for you fine but for most people they're snake oil. Beware using them if you visit Germany as there is a legal minimum transmittance on lenses worn to drive at night.

By the way this is from Specsavers own website

"In years gone by people would use yellow-tinted glasses to reduce glare and help them drive at night. While yellow tints might have helped reduce glare, they also made darker areas of the road even less visible. The important thing to remember is to not use tinted glasses at night as this can actually make your vision worse."

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I can only explain the optics and science if they work for you fine but for most people they're snake oil. Beware using them if you visit Germany as there is a legal minimum transmittance on lenses worn to drive at night.

"In years gone by people would use yellow-tinted glasses to reduce glare and help them drive at night. While yellow tints might have helped reduce glare, they also made darker areas of the road even less visible. The important thing to remember is to not use tinted glasses at night as this can actually make your vision worse."

{'ve used Specsavers for years and can say that the last glasses they supplied are the worst I have ever had

The tinted prescription glasses I had last are dangerous even in daylight

Normal lenses are a PIA, forever trying to clean them..........

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
{'ve used Specsavers for years and can say that the last glasses they supplied are the worst I have ever had

The tinted prescription glasses I had last are dangerous even in daylight

Normal lenses are a PIA, forever trying to clean them..........
They're probably anti reflection coated. It the same as the coating on a camera lens it increases transmission of light and reduces reflection at the surfaces and works because the coating is a precise thickness any smears of grease or oil on the surface smear very easily and are difficult to remove. You could use a proprietary lens cleaner for coated lenses I often clean mine with warm water and a very small dab of washing up liquid. Dip in water dot a little fairy on the lens wipe it very gently over the surface rinse off and dry. It's not recommended by the lens manufacturers and if the coating starts to degrade they will say it due to poor cleaning. It's a bit like modern cars better performance but require more care!

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
As a relatively young? (45) Funster I don't have a problem driving at night, the moho (03 ducato base) could do with better lights when on unlit roads.
I'm on the look out for a bull bar which I could add additional driving lights to. As a child of the 80s I like the rally style look of a quad of round spotlights on the front!
I also find the lights built into the bottom of the over cab structure illuminate the dash which is not ideal when on unlit roads.
I'm thinking of making some mini shrouds to go around them to try and reduce that.
On smaller local roads in the UK in prefer nighttime driving as you can see the enemy coming and can slow down in narrow sections. I did find daytime driving better when we went to the south of France in 2022 because you can see far enough ahead on the auto route to speed up in advance of the uphill sections to keep the momentum going.
On a separate note, I've seen glasses (generally the more expensive ones) advertised with anti glare costings and those yellow ones are said to be better for night driving. If anyone can recommend those?
All the best.
Simon
Be careful as there are strict rules to retrofitting bull bars

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018

Their Drivewear range is different.
But Hey Ho, they really do work for Me, have my prescribed optical value, and if they were likely to be in conflict with dvla or whoever, they would not sell them as driving glasses, suitable for use at night, which is exactly what I told them I wanted them for when covering almost 50k miles a year in my job
all over the country.
They are even better than my clear lensed prescription glasses with optical anti reflection coating.
I must just say that I find the comment on them being " Snake Oil" somewhat disappointing.
I do however have full faith in my optician's, to whom I have been with now for over 20 years, and who fully understand my concerns and needs.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Instead of auto dipping headlights I'd like to see manufacturers concentrating on headlights that maintained their settings when travelling on undulating roads, when cresting rises etc. I believe that and the initial set-up cause most problems. The necessary electronics could also preset the aim leaving the user with no adjustments to tinker with.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Being long retired I'm never in a hurry so don't choose to drive at night in order to avoid heavy traffic. In the m/home I tour only abroad and rarely use motorways however long the trip may be, so I prefer daytime as apart from the roads seeming less busy 'over there' I can enjoy the surroundings and open shops and filling stations as I toddle along the paths less trod in daylight.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Their Drivewear range is different.
But Hey Ho, they really do work for Me, have my prescribed optical value, and if they were likely to be in conflict with dvla or whoever, they would not sell them as driving glasses, suitable for use at night, which is exactly what I told them I wanted them for when covering almost 50k miles a year in my job
all over the country.
They are even better than my clear lensed prescription glasses with optical anti reflection coating.
I must just say that I find the comment on them being " Snake Oil" somewhat disappointing.
I do however have full faith in my optician's, to whom I have been with now for over 20 years, and who fully understand my concerns and needs.
What is your opticians name? ( I mean their name not the name over the door?) Seems an odd question but I generally find people mean it's a brand they trust rather than an actual person.
Heres a link to the Specsavers website I quoted from its the latest update Broken Link Removed.

This is what they say about their superdrive lenses

" What are the best night-time driving glasses?
Contrary to popular belief, night-time specific driving glasses are no longer recommended by optometrists. Most older models of night driving glasses use yellow-tinted glasses to reduce glare. While these tinted lenses may help with light glare, yellow lenses also reduce contrast, making it more difficult for drivers to see darker areas of the road.

The SuperDrive varifocal lens comes with our UltraClear SuperClean Smart treatment, an anti-reflective quality which is beneficial in reducing reflections from oncoming traffic, signage and traffic lights while driving at night.

So, if you’re a varifocal wearer, our SuperDrive lenses take into account the need to reduce glare and provide wide peripheral vision which will help you when driving at night."

I don't know if they changed their advice recently. My background is I was a qualified optometrist for 40 years until early retirement . I used to examine in the professional qualifying examinations on occupational optometry and illumination that covers driving standards and prescribing. Of course opinions will vary but it's generally accepted that yellow tints are not a great idea

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
Instead of auto dipping headlights I'd like to see manufacturers concentrating on headlights that maintained their settings when travelling on undulating roads, when cresting rises etc. I believe that and the initial set-up cause most problems. The necessary electronics could also preset the aim leaving the user with no adjustments to tinker with.
Nice idea and could prove very useful.
Think they would have to be floating in some sort of encasement, a bit like those globe-type compasses you get on some 4x4 cars etc.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Nice idea and could prove very useful.
Think they would have to be floating in some sort of encasement, a bit like those globe-type compasses you get on some 4x4 cars etc.
I think that tanks have a similar stabilisation for the gun but the problem is is the lights depress when going uphill they will reduce the illuminated area.

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018
What is your opticians name? ( I mean their name not the name over the door?) Seems an odd question but I generally find people mean it's a brand they trust rather than an actual person.
Heres a link to the Specsavers website I quoted from its the latest update Broken Link Removed.
Don't worry about it.
I'm very happy with my set up, thanks.
And so are the Hospital who send me there for my Diabetic check up scan and photographs, which they then forward to the Hospital for further scrutiny.
Each to their own.

Sep 22, 2023
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Lots of points. No solutions but a few observations based on experiences in a number of fields.
Like a few others i used to compete in night rallies before it became unacceptable.
We used to have big Cibie spotlights that would burn the paint of other cars if we forgot to dip! But hopefully we always dipped in time.
I was a traffic police officer for a number of years and saw the results of people's mistakes and plain bad driving. I am normal again now😁
Having undergone police class 1 driver training, night driving doesn't hold any particular terrors for me but I know that my reactions and perception are not as good as they were.
Having also been an advanced driving instructor for a number of years where we trained a lot of company car drivers the number of drivers that failed the basic number plate eye test was frightening and that is before you consider the effects of low luminence myopia (short sighted in low light levels) that many unknowingly suffer from.
My Audi has xenon lights which are bright but have a very flat cut off, they also do not need adjusting for continental driving.
How I wish I had these on my motorhome which I am still getting used to.
I, wrongly, used to drive for hours without stopping but now I like to stop every couple of hours. I can recall driving from Geneva to Calais with only fuel stops (stupid!)
So having woffled on at length what am I saying?
Perhaps we should accept that as we get older our eyesight does deteriorate, our reactions slow, our hazard perception decreases and tiredness comes on quicker. There are now more cars with poorly adjusted headlights which is made worse brightness and drivers who don't know when to dip
So compensate
Try to maintain a minimum of two seconds(preferably 3 ) gap at speeds over 30 mph in dry conditions. More in poor weather
Have a full eye test on a regular basis including the scan which may pick up undiagnosed glaucoma or cataracts
Try to avoid looking into headlights of oncoming cars.
Spotless windscreens and lights help.
Take regular breaks before you are tired.
Keep hydrated. Water helps concentration.
Consider your state of health or tiredness before a journey.
l have gone on too long now but hopefully thought provoking

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
VW 2005 T5 Campervan
Exp
Since September 2018

This is what they say about their superdrive lenses

" What are the best night-time driving glasses?
Contrary to popular belief, night-time specific driving glasses are no longer recommended by optometrists. Most older models of night driving glasses use yellow-tinted glasses to reduce glare. While these tinted lenses may help with light glare, yellow lenses also reduce contrast, making it more difficult for drivers to see darker areas of the road.

The SuperDrive varifocal lens comes with our UltraClear SuperClean Smart treatment, an anti-reflective quality which is beneficial in reducing reflections from oncoming traffic, signage and traffic lights while driving at night.

So, if you’re a varifocal wearer, our SuperDrive lenses take into account the need to reduce glare and provide wide peripheral vision which will help you when driving at night."

I don't know if they changed their advice recently. My background is I was a qualified optometrist for 40 years until early retirement . I used to examine in the professional qualifying examinations on occupational optometry and illumination that covers driving standards and prescribing. Of course opinions will vary but it's generally accepted that yellow tints are not a great idea
Having tried vari-focal lenses I found them very confusing in moving my eyes to focus rather than moving my head, and this despite extensive measurements taken to find the optimal points of various focal lengths.
The worst was trying to glance sideways to see into door mirrors on both sides or rear view mirror without moving my head as I found if I was not in the exact spot, there was a delay in being able to clearly focus, which when traveling at speeds or unfamiliar areas I found dangerous.
I returned the glasses and reverted to standard single distance lenses, at no cost to exchange.
For myself personally, I do not like vari-focal lenses unless they have changed enormously in the last 5 years.

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
They're probably anti reflection coated. It the same as the coating on a camera lens it increases transmission of light and reduces reflection at the surfaces and works because the coating is a precise thickness any smears of grease or oil on the surface smear very easily and are difficult to remove. You could use a proprietary lens cleaner for coated lenses I often clean mine with warm water and a very small dab of washing up liquid. Dip in water dot a little fairy on the lens wipe it very gently over the surface rinse off and dry. It's not recommended by the lens manufacturers and if the coating starts to degrade they will say it due to poor cleaning. It's a bit like modern cars better performance but require more care!
I've been cleaning with a dab of soap under running water for years but recommend foaming hand soap rather that washing up liquid. Will do the cleaning just as perfectly but rinse off far more easily & no risk of upsetting the coatings.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back