Driving your motorhome at night (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
1 year, in these times
I don’t mind it, but prefer not to.
If I start driving when it’s dark I’ve always found that it takes several minutes before I feel comfortable driving.
Even when I was younger than now.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
When doing long distances in S.Africa e.g. Johannesburg to Queenstown (approx 1000 km) I used to always set off at night and drive all night.

In the UK, I drove back from Edinburgh to York and, on arriving home, found the police waiting to tell me a relly was very ill in Exeter ITU, so just drove through the night to Exeter!

But if it is wet or snowing, driving at night is a pain. I don’t enjoy driving the van at night and the navigator won’t do it either. So we generally avoid driving after dark if possible although my instinct remains that if we have any distance to drive, a 4a.m. set off time is preferred. Navigator and first officer say “no!” So I’m outvoted. 🙂

Apr 13, 2023
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
ADRIA MATRIX 600SL
Exp
1st timer since Jan 2023
17 you pass your test and want to drive anywhere, anytime, throw the gear in the car and off to coast camping 😎
Hit 40 thought I was going blind, suddenly couldn't see at night, told got a cataract in one eye and other 2 years away !
After having them both done it was like having new windows, so clear I could read without glasses, only problem was driving at night would blind me, any direct light I had to stop for 20 mins to wait for swirling to clear. Now have to wear sunglasses all the time in the daylight.
Also sunvisor in moho useless as being 6ft can't see under it, so might need to swap to an A clsss like my 6ft 2" pal did.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I find it easier driving the motorhome at night than the car, the height gets rid of quite a lot of the glare form car lights. I also, when i can find them, wear night driving over glasses, have 2 lots one are great the other are rubbish.

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I find it easier driving the motorhome at night than the car, the height gets rid of quite a lot of the glare form car lights. I also, when i can find them, wear night driving over glasses, have 2 lots one are great the other are rubbish.

Do you know the make or source of the great ones? I’ve got a pair and they are rubbish.

Apr 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Vision
I used to prefer to travel at night, but these days I find it more difficult. How about you? Do you like night driving. Do you have any tips, tricks or advice I could add to this article? Cheers

I recently went to a funeral and had to drive 2000 miles, all of it at night. When we arrived home it took me two whole days to recover so I now agree I am not keen on driving at night; even with my eye inplants! (which actually are very good.
Richard

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
I recently went to a funeral and had to drive 2000 miles, all of it at night. When we arrived home it took me two whole days to recover so I now agree I am not keen on driving at night; even with my eye inplants! (which actually are very good.
Richard
Some going that Richard :LOL:

Jan 11, 2013
E Mids
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Really pleased that so many of you do not like driving at night - the roads are just that little less busy for me, who always drives long distances at night in preference to daytime.

We usually leave home around 4pm - travel to the tunnel and park up and eat then catch a late evening train. We than usually drive south to Limoges area and arrive early afternoon. We find doing this actually gives us the effect of an extra days holiday and we camp at a super campsite at Dompierre les Eglises, which is as close to Wild Cammping with faclilities as you could wish.

Eye is no problem (I only have one due to an childhood accident some 76 years ago) and with my wife doing her best to keep us on the correct road and keeping an eye open for detours etc I have a pretty comfortable job driving.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
Love driving at any time in any weather, but have been struggling with night driving recently which was bugging me because I drive at least 3 nights a week. On close inspection of my glasses they have got lots of tiny scratches on the lens surface so I found the spare pair Specsavers had given me as a sorry we cocked up (but that's a whole different thread) and bingo no problem driving at night, all of the flaring and bad focus was due to my one year old glasses.

Mar 25, 2020
Funster No
MH
SWIFT KONTIKI 649
Exp
SINCE 1980
I used to prefer to travel at night, but these days I find it more difficult. How about you? Do you like night driving. Do you have any tips, tricks or advice I could add to this article? Cheers

I strongly recommend yellow glasses. I keep a pair in the glove box. They really help cut down the glare.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Until my recent eye problem I would say it didn't bother me but now I really don't know as I have not tried but I fear that the answer is going to be no I don't like or even can't (safely) anymore.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I avoid travelling after dark for sight reasons. Also to avoid swapping lights over on the continent.
I used to prefer travelling at night because there was far less traffic and Tungsten was no problem. I now have the luxury of LEDs but have never discovered if they are any good.
I also travel for much shorter durations (2hrs is a marathon, now) whereas I travelled from Spain to Home in one go in my younger days.

Sep 28, 2021
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 1974

Try a pair of Yellow filter night driving glasses they cut the headlight dazzle out. You buy them from most petrol stations for approx £8

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
When I specked my first F10 M5 (2014) I got sold to a bit by the dealer on these new Carlos Fandango lazer LED headlights. ticked the option box and TBF, they were amazing. That is apart from the function of leaving full beam on all the time and the car blanks out the parts of the lights that could dazzle other users.

Come flying up behind a car and the middle part of the headlight beam is dipped, yet you are still emitting a significant additional full beam pattern around the car you’re following which is great in theory, but scares the crap out of the driver in front.

Driving down a country lane, full adaptive beam on, car coming towards you and the beam pattern is adjusted automatically so you don’t dazzle the oncoming vehicle, but you still have very impressive lighting elsewhere. The car driving towards you almost always went into full flashing mode, like you’re a BMW knob type mode!

I surmised that as good as the tech was, the rest of the driving public weren’t ready for my innovation! The outcome of this is, didn’t use it very much and next M5, (Dec 2015) didn’t tick the option box! 🤣

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
There are night driving glasses available, my has a pair as she can't stand the glare. I tried them, they turn the oncoming lights to a yellow glow. There OK, but if you are already wearing specs it would be a problem. Additionally, I noted when there was no traffic oncoming the glasses dimmed your view of the road ahead. Nice for passengers though, and might help them stay awake 🤣🤣.
Mike
I’ve tried both night driving and day time sunglasses designed to fit over my varifocal prescription glasses. Both work well for vision) and I use some sunglasses over my glasses when cycling) but make me look very strange!!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm another one in the hate driving in the dark corner. I never used to mind it but the older I get the more I try to avoid it.

In the motorhome I definitely don't like doing it. Some of the places I like to park up are quite challenging to get to in daylight never mind when it's pitch dark. Like to be parked up by 3pm at the latest usually. On occasion I've had to move at night either due to bad weather or noise and it's always been stressful. However I'm often amazed at how I've went to bed in a very remote spot and been the only camper there yet I've woken in the morning and found I've 1 or 2 neighbours. The French and Germans seem to love moving location in the dark for some reason .

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Personally think its more down to type and alignment of other headlamps now as its very different experience between being down in my car , or up in the overlander cab . The latter being far more relaxing at night .:)

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Aaah, a new dimension added to the discussion, driving at night being the first, manoeuvring at night being the second.

Happy driving at night, hate manoeuvres after dark… recipe for disaster where one can’t see high for trees, wires etc and can’t see the perimeter at the rear easily. Best off switching off all lights, get the pupils fully dilated so the night vision kicks in before the manoeuvre phase of night driving.

May 26, 2023
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Swift c404
Exp
Always on a very tight schedule so I love driving overnight especially on the first night of a Motorhome trip, cross through the tunnel by 8.00pm, laugh as you drive easily around Antwerp and on through Hamburg early morning before it gets busy, or South, down through Bordeux, feel like I can relax after that knowing I’ve got a few bonus hours in the bag. 70 next year and I‘m told it will start to get harder so need to start looking at some other techniques in anticipation.

Oct 3, 2012
Lochcarron, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Stanway
Exp
5 or 6 years ago I could drive from N/W Scotland to Cornwall overnight, but not now. Cataract and age 77 don't help. I have recently got a pair of yellow sunglasses which lighten up everything at night and help with dazzle. They seem to make driving more relaxed.
The Boxer lights are a little better with Osram Night breakers.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I’m a volunteer blood biker and night driving or riding is a requirement. Even at 72 I don’t have too much difficulty at night but I do notice others that obviously do. Those cars that creep along, often with queues behind them on unlit roads with a National speed limit. Then accelerate up and over the speed limit when they arrive under the street lights of a town.
Now the A class with it’s rubbish lights do make night driving more difficult. The solution for that is easy though, we rarely drive at night, we’re retired and on holiday.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
Motorhomers should never drive at night as they are unable to see an approaching motorhome and be able to give a wave. ;)

Like about 80%+ on here, preferred night driving when young. Age, brighter lights and increased traffic levels make it decidedly tedious now and avoided if possible. Ten days ago I returned from Putney down the A3 in the rain in the car. An hour and a half of that was quite enough and I was glad to flop in a chair and rest my eyes.

Johnchudson

Free Member
Mar 6, 2018
Funster No

I would advise getting cataracts seen to ASAP as far fewer problems with headlights once sorted!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back