CritAir, how many bother with it? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So the only way they can get your details these days is a formalmapplication to DVLA or if you've volunteered them during the application process.

We do a lot in France, we're here right now and I currently think its better not to. Most of the indigenous camping caristes seem to agree with me as very few of them are displaying it.

Of course there are a few places I cant go, but they tend to be places I dont go anyway.

With Rouen funflair through the tunnel over the river and 270° right turn and out to cow island is outside the zone. Or you might enjoy a stop by the river at La Mailleraye via Yvetot pont de Brotonne as we're increasingly using.

Edit, we are seeing more larger CCs with Angles Mortes stickers on.
Hi Jon, I didn't ask you first as I knew the answer ;) yes the direct route through Rouen used to be outside the zone but not anymore as far as I can see on the green zones app, as you say though the places you really need it are places you don't want to be anyway.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I believe they can refuse entry next time if they feel inclined or refuse access to the ferry or train until all fines paid. I wouldn't risk it for the sake of a fiver.

How does the French border control know you have a fine for not having a sticker ? Did you hear that from Facebook…😂

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Martin, I don’t know about France (yes I do have a crit air tho) but I’ve been through German cities, Wiesbaden and Munich where I’ve seen portable cameras set up to check the windscreens for the green ticket!!
Austria (I know you’re not going there) there is a requirement for you to have a pickerl sticker if you’ve got an N on the logbook (phgv or truck chassis derived motorhome) and yes that would include van conversions (under 3.5t) that haven’t been re registered as a motor caravan!!
It’s a minefield over there👍😁😁
We have nothing on the V5 log book other than PHGV, N2 on the original chassis C of C.

Anyway thank you everybody for your advice I have relented and have spent the last of this months pension on a nice yellow crit air, I knew there was a reason why A class had big windscreen :unsure: it's to give space for all the stickers and boxes.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We had both the French and German ones so cheap why wouldn't you.
This ^^^!

As I was about to say .....

Little effort
Little cost
Lasts the life of the windscreen
Could save you a big fine.

What would you not do it ?
No Brainer

(Just make sure you get from the correct sites, as several dummy sites out there)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I’m sure most know my views on stickers….😏

I’ve been stood in front of my van with a copper in a restricted zone with no uk or crit air while I specifically ask him and he gave me the garlic shrug…🤷🏼‍♂️

If you apply for all these things and give them your names and address then they’ve got ya…🤔

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So the only way they can get your details these days is a formalmapplication to DVLA or if you've volunteered them during the application process.
Or they ask the French company that operates the Dartford crossing if they hold details. Or use EPCplc, a European wide compan that operates many emissions based sites in most European countries, as well as being debt enforcers for many parking companies, if they hold your details .
With Rouen @funflair through the tunnel over the river and 270° right turn and out to cow island is outside the zone.
As far as I know all Rouen is inside the zone .

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We have both Martin

We have both too.
funflair. Same here Marttin. We had to bin your Umwelt Placket for a new one at Zell, when we changed the Reg No.

Having fixed stickers to the screen, only to have it cracked and replaced shortly after, (Hymer), I now laminate them and place them in tax disc/permit holders.

20240721_180048.jpg

Maybe not legit in German/French speak, but at least they are displayed, and available if needed for a replacement screen. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Or they ask the French company that operates the Dartford crossing if they hold details. Or use EPCplc, a European wide compan that operates many emissions based sites in most European countries, as well as being debt enforcers for many parking companies, if they hold your details .

As far as I know all Rouen is inside the zone .
I went through it twice last year and heard nothing yet.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
The way it’s going over there they will have to a, harmonise everything to make life easier, or b, make it that difficult that no one will bother going over!
Changes are a coming, Germany next……watch this space👍

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Are they using ANPR cameras?
Or are the stickers for if you get pulled up the police can see if your vehicle isn't allowed? 🤔

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
#27 you are volunteering your details
From memory they don't ask for your name and address except to send you the stickers.
So if you are that bothered, send them to a friend/neighbour.

However in the event of the local authorities actually needing your details, roughly how many seconds do you think it would take a French or German traffic cop to get your full details from your numberplate ?

(As an FYI, I know first hand a UK traffic cop can get Polish driver details in the time it takes to pull you over and get to the drivers door. IE under 2 minutes)

I agree fines are a different issue, however as the EU registered vehicles not paying the ULEZ/Dart Charge have found, there are ways for any private company in the UK to fine anyone in the EU and vice versa.

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
You might not plan to go through any of the zones but what if you end up on a detour? Or need to find a dealer for a replacement part? Or you need towing to a zone following a breakdown or accident? For the small amount it costs, why risk not having one?

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
It's worked so far flashed loads of times doing 60 in a 30 no tickets yet you need to get onto them and tell them your secret 😄
Just because it flashed doesn't mean the camera is on or in the box!

Reactions: HKF
Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
How does the French border control know you have a fine for not having a sticker ? Did you hear that from Facebook…😂
Not on Facebook but I believe the French have recently learnt how to use anpr cameras and computers. Would be strange if they would let Johnny foreigners off with speeding and the like if they didn't have to.
Maybe we should try it.
And have you ever known anyone thats happened to. I havent.
I don't know of anyone no.
But I don't know anyone with a morelo either but I'm sure they exist.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Yep.
Cheap as chips
Easy to do
Did the German Umwelt too.

If you might need them, why on earth not?

Jun 20, 2022
Chapel St Leonards, UK
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato pvc self
Exp
Since 2017
With regard to not wanting to give your details. How do you get to France?
Le Shuttle French
Brittany Ferries French
Transmanche/DFDS French
Only Irish Ferries not French and they are in EU so will pass on details anyway.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
With regard to not wanting to give your details. How do you get to France?
Le Shuttle French
Brittany Ferries French
Transmanche/DFDS French
Only Irish Ferries not French and they are in EU so will pass on details anyway.

Only name and reg of vehicle given on ferry crossing, no address at all….

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back