CritAir, how many bother with it? (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Exp
I ordered the French critair sticker on the 12th June, It said it would come by post but nothing yet.. We go in less than a week, oh well.
normally comes within 7-10 days and you get a confirmation within 4 days along with a temporary PDF file you can print off

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
What a hilarious thread. No one seems to know anyone who's been done for not having a Crit air sticker or for driving thru a zone without one and yet it's all a money making scam...also, the sticker and associated registration and mailing it to your door costs less than a fiver....and is a money making scam. :LOL:

Yes I expect the €3-4 they make on each sticker will make a tremendous difference to their GDP. :ROFLMAO:

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018
That useful thanks, our V5 has nothing in the classification box and our C of C says N2 but that is for the original chassis which is commercial, I might give it a go at M1, if we don't get one my navigator will just worry.

Same here Martin

i’ve just had to re-apply for both as I had a windscreen replaced last week so I ticked M1 box

and my navigator doesn’t know they exist so no worries their 🤣

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
What a hilarious thread. No one seems to know anyone who's been done for not having a Crit air sticker or for driving thru a zone without one and yet it's all a money making scam...also, the sticker and associated registration and mailing it to your door costs less than a fiver....and is a money making scam. :LOL:
My brother was pulled in Germany for not having an Umweltplakette although only warned to get the car out of the zone and not charged.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I've got my sticker in a licence holder so I can move it to a replacement screen if I need to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think we ought to adopt similar schemes here after all stopping polluting vehicles rather than allowing them in if they pay a charge is clearly not a money maker scheme so those complaining about congestion charges would presumably be very happy

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
Just pondering whether or not to register :unsure: the only zone we might go near would be Rouen and then that would just be straight through, do most people get one and has anybody ever been stopped and fined for not having one inside a Zone?
Yes we do, for all our vehicles (especially when we lived in France!).
It's fine not to have one....up to the moment when it isn't fine and you are zapped by an ANPR camera on a diversion route you never intended to take through the outskirts of a town or city which you didn't realise was a "Crit'Air" zone.....and there are more and more of them every month....
We are visitors - it feels like a respectful thing to do.
Its only a few bob for peace of mind.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
But they are no use on UK vehicles because the sticker may have been issued to a previous owner.
Goes with vehicle
That sort of makes the idea that they are collecting the owners details for speeding fines very difficult to believe.
They don't "collect " details just use available french and EU firms they have dealings with and that operate cross border

So they use the vehicle vin not the registration no.?
No.reg number

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Goes with vehicle

They don't "collect " details just use available french and EU firms they have dealings with and that operate cross border

No.reg number
I think it's good that EU countries chase fines from UK motorists and we should do exactly the same with visitors to the UK. I don't see any reason why we couldn't have a reciprocal agreement with the EU to allow access to each others database.

May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
I have had a Crit'Air sticker for a good few years now, and my only problem was with obtaining a new one after I had a new windscreen fitted !

When traveling through larger towns and cities, on the Autoroute, there will come a time when, due to ‘unforeseen’ circumstances, you may have to leave the autoroute, and follow local diversions. That is when having the sticker is quite handy.

On one occasion’ when travelling through Lyon, the-powers-that-be had shut one of the tunnels, for repairs, so that local diversions were in place.

I followed the diversions until I could rejoin the autoroute, rather than risk accepting the advice of my satnav (which was at odds with the local signage).

Lyon tunnel closures for weekend repairs were quite common at one time, I don’t know if they still are.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
No matter how or what I put into google I cannot find one single comment on a person that has been fined for not having a sticker…🤔

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No matter how or what I put into google I cannot find one single comment on a person that has been fined for not having a sticker…🤔
I suspect it's also difficult to find anyone prosecuted for being overloaded does that mean you ignore it or do what you're supposed to in case

May 13, 2024
Lancshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Axess
Exp
Caravan since 1983 - Motorhome since 1997
I have Googled everything from;

How much money does the French Government make in fines on motorists who fail to display a Crit'Aire vignette ?

through;

Has any UK motorist been fined for not displaying a French Crit'Air vignette ?

to;

How much has been raised in Crit'Air fines by French departments and communes ?

I found no answers, nor any information whcih might point to the fact that this entire scheme is just a big ploy to make money ??

In the end everything came back to; how to obtain one, a warning that one must be displayed, or finally, this, from the 'Conseil d'Etat'
:

The Conseil d'État had previously fined the French government for its failure to take the necessary measures to meet the European air pollution thresholds for fine particles and nitrogen dioxide in several urban areas of France. In 2021 and 2022, the State was ordered to pay three €10-million fines for each six-month delay. Today, the Conseil d'État noted that the pollution threshold for fine particles has now been met in all urban areas. Nitrogen dioxide thresholds have also been met in Toulouse and Aix-Marseille. However, they remain significantly above European limits in Paris and Lyon, where ongoing and planned actions will not bring them below the limit within the shortest possible timeframe. In light of the persistent pollution in these two areas, and taking into account the improvements observed, the Conseil d'État ordered the State to pay two fines of €5 million for the two six-month periods from July 2022 to July 2023, thereby halving the penalty for each six-month period.

. . . . . . which seems to indicate that one French government office has fined another French government office ?

That makes a lot of sense, and shuffles the money around nicely ?

:rolleyes:

Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
A grey one
Exp
since 1996
So they use the vehicle vin not the registration no.?
In that case the new to us van had both stickers in the window when we got it which I promptly removed as they had the previous owners registration number on them so I will be okay if the apnr camera picks me up as the vin no. will show the stickers as paid for. 👍🏻
Registration number I think. If you have a personalised plate then I expect you'd need new stickers.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think it's good that EU countries chase fines from UK motorists and we should do exactly the same with visitors to the UK. I don't see any reason why we couldn't have a reciprocal agreement with the EU to allow access to each others database.

Vehicle registration is matter for each individual EU State not an EU matter, so reciprocal arrangements would have to be made with each State.

Brummie64

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2024
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO 590
The French Crit'Air scheme is hardly a money making scam... less than €5 to post the sticker to the UK, at best they might make €2 and that probably only covers administering the scheme.

Now what do we do in the UK! We just allow non complaint vehicles to enter our cities, provided they pay a tenner or so to enter!!

Now which is the biggest money making scam!!!

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
The French Crit'Air scheme is hardly a money making scam... less than €5 to post the sticker to the UK, at best they might make €2 and that probably only covers administering the scheme.

Now what do we do in the UK! We just allow non complaint vehicles to enter our cities, provided they pay a tenner or so to enter!!

Now which is the biggest money making scam!!!
What do the French and German government do if you don't have a sticker 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
The life of the van registration or windscreen
As we found out when we had a new windscreen. The German one was obviously made of good stuff and Autoglass managed to transfer it over but the French one was perforated paper so fell apart. When the new French one arrived we just kept it in the glove compartment. The new owners can do whatever they like with it.

I know people laminate them and keep them in tax disc covers but they are supposed to be stuck on. I thought I’d just stick it on if we needed it.

Brummie64

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2024
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO 590
What do the French and German government do if you don't have a sticker 🤷🏻‍♂️
Very likely fine you.

The point of the French scheme is, if you are driving a non compliant, heavy polluter you are not allowed in, full stop!

In the UK with the CAZ ULEZ schemes you can drive in the zones.. if you pay...

So the French say **** off you are not polluting our city, us Brits say yes you can pollute us all but you'll have to pay!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Very likely fine you.

The point of the French scheme is, if you are driving a non compliant, heavy polluter you are not allowed in, full stop!

In the UK with the CAZ ULEZ schemes you can drive in the zones.. if you pay...

So the French say **** off you are not polluting our city, us Brits say yes you can pollute us all but you'll have to pay!
Exactly seems a lot fairer to me

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
So it's not really about air quality ;)
Why not? The info telling readers how successful the scheme has been is on the website and allowing the option of more polluting vehicles going in and out of there occasionally but not cause regular pollution.

PeterCarole29

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 23, 2013
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Renault Master Fleetwood
Exp
20 years
Just pondering whether or not to register :unsure: the only zone we might go near would be Rouen and then that would just be straight through, do most people get one and has anybody ever been stopped and fined for not having one inside a Zone?
i have on 3 vans

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back