Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
When I had my fluid changed at AM last month, the chap showed me the dark, discoloured fluid in the reservoir, which he said was contamination and was not a good sign.
He suggested having the fluid changed yearly should help offset any future problems with it.
I'm not sure how the fluid becomes contaminated as I assumed it was a sealed system. Unless, of course it is the seals on the master or slave cylinders causing the problem.
As to any difference since I had it done, non at all, other than me being acutely aware of the slight clunk each time a gear is selected. 🤔
How many years/miles had it taken to become discoloured and contaminated?

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
It’s a bit ironic really as we had the big 4 year service and MOT done about a month early at the beginning of August as we’re off in 2 weeks to Turkey and Cyprus and are going to do about 7000 miles. We thought it would iron out any problems! Well I suppose we’ve got 2 weeks but we’re too busy with family stuff to drive anywhere much. I don’t think Sainsburys and the gym will count :giggle:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Everyone that has had the fluid change, have you felt the gearbox is any different..? Smother or quieter for instance..?

Be interesting to see if any difference or a placebo effect… a bit like when I wash it, it seems to drive better…🤷🏼‍♂️
What you may find after the proper fluid change and robotic change has had a kick up the arse reset is that you don’t come to a halt halfway through France/Germany/Holland/Portugal/ Spain (delete as applicable) :giggler: :giggler:

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Its a 2014 van 28000 miles and as far as I'm aware, never had the clutch or gearbox fluids changed till now.
Ours was done at 4 years and lower mileage and the old fluid came out clean.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Result ! Eat your heart (or wallet) out Lenny HB :X3:

20230830_142814.jpg

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
wa slower
Where was this from please?, I paid £70 just for brake fluid change.
There's more involved in a brake fluid change compared to a Comfortmatic DOT fluid change which is why the Comfortmatic should be cheaper. You can add a bit extra if you want the KISS point reset at the same time but still only 5 mins of work.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I just booked my Motorhome in for next year (March) and asked for the comformatic clutch fluid to be done at the same time, when asked for the price of the fluid change he (Simon) said it was £147.50 so unfortunately that is what I will be paying as i still want it done. Better than paying for the repair (y)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Perhaps Southampton are doing an old fashioned drain down and bleed and not using the Fiat software to do the job thoroughly, including kiss point recalibration? Just a guess but no more than that.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Perhaps Southampton are doing an old fashioned drain down and bleed and not using the Fiat software to do the job thoroughly, including kiss point recalibration? Just a guess but no more than that.
There's no need to do a KISS point reset unless the biting point is a bit iffy so not really required with the fluid change although can't do any harm

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Mine was £130 if you are still ask Simon why.
Sorry Lenny, paid and ran :ROFLMAO:

Had to get across towards Folkestone for an early train - on the way to Caravan Salon.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
I queried as have others about the fluid change. Was told every 2 years but recommended (by Simon) to do it every year. Reasoning was that a clutch/gearbox failures is extortionately expensive! They have one in workshop at theoment with an anticipated bill of £9000 :oops:. A class would probably be even more due to difficulty of accessing.

Queried gearbox oil change and as previously posted by LennyHB, I think, that this is never required.

Queried the 5 year timing belt change and was verbally given a cost of about £800.

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
When I spoke to the manager he explained they reset/realign the 'touch point' if that's the correct expression, as standard when they do a fluid change.

Discussing servicing they now as standard do a clutch fluid change at EVERY service interval as they consider it so critical.

I believe my price was quoted in error and should have been the same as others e.g. about £147. They never queried the cost with me today as it was initially quoted on an email when I booked it in. Fair play to them for holding the cost and not trying to increase it.

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
Picked my van up today after gearbox, actuator hydraulic, and clutch fluid change incl touch point recal.

It’s a 2016 2.3 with 51,500 miles. Never had anything done with Comfortmatic preciously. I’ve had the van since new.

AM Phillip Trucktech in Dundee, a Fiat professional garage. Expensive, the bulk of the cost was 3.5 hrs labour at £110 per hour 😱

Still cheaper than a failure/repair I suppose.

I asked about recommended change intervals for each fluid and was told every 3 yrs for each. That sounds like scribble, to be changing the gearbox oil every 3 years? It was the receptionist relayed that info to me this am so I’ll phone and speak to someone Monday to check if that’s really what they recommend.
In any event, I think I’ll get the clutch fluid done yearly and the hydraulic actuator fluid every 3.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2015
Newmarket,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Benimar294
Exp
Had mine done at Adams Morey Portsmouth yesterday £147. I had a chat with Simon about fiat not doing the clutch fluid change, he said he’d rang fiat and asked about it, they told him they need to train people up to do it.

aria

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 2, 2016
Kincardineshire.
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
I believe it. I use a good local independent garage for all the work but they don’t have the gear for Comfortmatic. He was however able to find a Fiat dealer that could do it.

I’m happy enough that these guys are just 40 mins down the road for me.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Bought the van down last night. Just handed over to Adams and Morley.
Full service and comformatic fluid change. 4 years old.
Now waiting around Portsmouth like an expectant father.
Surprised at the number of broken motorhomes in the yard though.

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
This all seems a bit odd to me that we are all having to drive to Portsmouth for what seems to be a clutch fluid change?:LOL:
Don't get me wrong I have no idea about such things but they can't be the only garage in the UK that is able to carry out this procedure. I'll check with my local garage (Bristol) to see what they say and report back.
If in the meantime anyone knows of a garage that can carry out the work in Bristol/Gloucester or Somerset please advise. Thanks

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Bought the van down last night. Just handed over to Adams and Morley.
Full service and comformatic fluid change. 4 years old.
Now waiting around Portsmouth like an expectant father.
Surprised at the number of broken motorhomes in the yard though.
I decided to get mine done as well before we go away at xmas so i will be going down there next month but we are only an hour away so not too bad, i did have my 6 year full service at the dealers this year but i just dont trust them when it comes to specifics like this. It may have been done but for peace of mind and £147 its a no brainer, moving forward i will get all my servicing and MOT's done at Adams Morey in Portsmouth now i have found somewhere that knows what they are doing.

Dealer will now just be damp check and that's it as i have no vehicle or water ingress warranty anymore as its over 6 years old.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
I decided to get mine done as well before we go away at xmas so i will be going down there next month but we are only an hour away so not too bad, i did have my 6 year full service at the dealers this year but i just dont trust them when it comes to specifics like this. It may have been done but for peace of mind and £147 its a no brainer, moving forward i will get all my servicing and MOT's done at Adams Morey in Portsmouth now i have found somewhere that knows what they are doing.

Dealer will now just be damp check and that's it as i have no vehicle or water ingress warranty anymore as its over 6 years old.
I’ve said before I don’t think it’s right that something like this needs doing every year. But hey ho.
I love our van but will probably change next year away from Fiat if funding allows
We now use a local guy for damp checks. Very good and half the cost

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back