Clampdown on coastal motorhome parking. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Not so new now

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Problem is councils are sh1t scared of gypsies turning up and turning the place into a no go zone with human sh1t everywhere, rubbish, fires, thieving etc like happened to a local council near where we are moving to. The play field has now got to be surgically cleaned as it's now a health hazard especially to children and their play area and sports pitches. Costs a fortune to clear and time to get done and make safe.
there is a car park near a popular woodland walk in Lincs that is now closed so that it and pathways can be surgically cleaned because of the amount of dog mess left by visitors. It is definitely not only travellers who leave problems for others to sort out, and pay for. There are good an bad travellers. I don’t think we should lump them all together anymore than we should be lumping all motorhomers together.

Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Scarborough thought that this was a problem several years ago and wanted to ban MH parking along Marine Parade etc, because it blocked people’s view. I, like many others, pointed out that there weren’t any houses there and I was quite surprised when Scarborough agreed to allow parking and even installed the chemical toilet facilities.

Sadly it does seem to have degenerated into a free for all situation and other visitors are being denied access. A simple solution would be to colour code every third parking space and only allow MHs to stay on those. PNCs for anyone using other places.

Gordon
The problems in Scarborough & Filey are of their own making.First by building chemical toilet points & tap which is of course only used to clean cassettes! Then they allow free parking for 5 months.
We were there yesterday & the number of vans parked across 3 bays was unbelievable & lots appeared not to have a parking ticket.It was always going to be a problem. I bet if they built some sort of Aire out of town ,maybe near the park & ride, not many of the ones parked there would use it.

OP
OP
Sparkie44
Feb 6, 2024
York
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
15 Years
The ban has been approved and will start mid September. More information if ýou Google it, too much for me to put on here. As for free overnight camping versus caravan sites, each to their own, no right or wrong.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not all. Northumberland have 4 car parks in decent spots at £12 a night.

£12 for a car park with no facilities far to expensive & only until 8am who on earth gets up at 8am when away in a Motorhome.

How much do they charge cars if they stay overnight?
If its free for cars I would boycott it on principle but I wouldn't be stopping at 12 quid anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
£12 for a car park with no facilities far to expensive & only until 8am who on earth gets up at 8am when away in a Motorhome
Does seem like a local authority pedantic rule. Even on campsites you usually get until 12.00 to leave. Maybe they have ANPR cameras on these locations to police them. Personally I cannot see an employee checking at that time. Mind you some french Aires have staff out that early.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Cars tend not to stay overnight and for days on end and move on giving others the opportunity to use the space.
Come to Ayr! There's a MH specific 'aire' next to the beech. During the day it's free but from 6.00 pm to 9.00 am it's £10.

The council have just put railings across at one end so you can no longer drive through to the larger normal carpark and installed barriers at the entrance but they aren't yet in use and I've no idea how they're gonna work in reality.

This was done to try to mitigate the issues caused by the boy/girl racers who used the whole lot as a race track but there's still a constant stream of cars pulling in, finding they can't get through to the normal carpark park anymore, so driving round and out again.

What makes this worse is that car drivers park in the MH bays if they feel like it and today all of the MH bays next to the prom path were occupied by cars, they were still there when we left just before 6.00 pm. The MHer next to us had complained to the council about this abuse by cars previously but they won't stop them parking there saying that they can do so on a weekend which is total b*llocks as they are purely for MH use from April to September, they just can't be bothered to enforce the rules against cars but would more than likely do so if it was a MH abusing them by stopping in car only areas.

A consequence was that any MHs looking for a spot had to go elsewhere or wait until the cars left which likely meant that some MHers who would have paid to stay won't have so the Council's income will be reduced.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Sorry, in general, they just don't .
The examples you are giving are just not typical
Sorry, in general, they just don't .
The examples you are giving are just not typical
Ah but but but There are the ones that close overnight and opening times published some are free at bank holidays some not some free on Sundays many not and charges vary along with height and length restrictions no such thing as a standard charge which is one reason so many drivers get caught out. Maybe down here in the south where there are far more vehicles and density of the population it’s not surprising you will find car parks with 24 hour charges

Last edited:

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Come to Ayr! There's a MH specific 'aire' next to the beech. During the day it's free but from 6.00 pm to 9.00 am it's £10.

The council have just put railings across at one end so you can no longer drive through to the larger normal carpark and installed barriers at the entrance but they aren't yet in use and I've no idea how they're gonna work in reality.

This was done to try to mitigate the issues caused by the boy/girl racers who used the whole lot as a race track but there's still a constant stream of cars pulling in, finding they can't get through to the normal carpark park anymore, so driving round and out again.

What makes this worse is that car drivers park in the MH bays if they feel like it and today all of the MH bays next to the prom path were occupied by cars, they were still there when we left just before 6.00 pm. The MHer next to us had complained to the council about this abuse by cars previously but they won't stop them parking there saying that they can do so on a weekend which is total b*llocks as they are purely for MH use from April to September, they just can't be bothered to enforce the rules against cars but would more than likely do so if it was a MH abusing them by stopping in car only areas.

A consequence was that any MHs looking for a spot had to go elsewhere or wait until the cars left which likely meant that some MHers who would have paid to stay won't have so the Council's income will be reduced.
well, some want parking for £10 and your highlighting the issues for most paying for a secure Motorhome stop for another £20 you could have a secure stop over and not have to worry about buy/girl races etc…

Your paying £10 to park which is beans for a stop over

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The locals can't get a space to walk their dogs on the beach.

If your local surely you’d just walk down to the beach.

If you have to drive there you’re not local and then you’re part of the problem 🤷‍♂️

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
well, some want parking for £10 and your highlighting the issues for most paying for a secure Motorhome stop for another £20 you could have a secure stop over and not have to worry about buy/girl races etc…

Your paying £10 to park which is beans for a stop over
Or you do what we do and go and park on a lovely nearby dead end road for nowt, not causing any issues for the residents either.

IMG_20240811_202338.jpg

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The big issue for Local Authorities has been described in great detail in the past by a member of MHF (whose name escapes me). It is that parking and camping (defined in this country as sleeping in a vehicle designed for that purpose) are treated entirely differently by legislation. The only dispensation is that which allows CLs/CSs to be set up under different rules. Even then, as a minimum, water and waste points must be provided.

The member is GJH

Last edited:

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The big issue for Local Authorities has been described in great detail in the past by a member of MHF (whose name escapes me). It is that parking and camping (defined in this country as sleeping in a vehicle designed for that purpose) are treated entirely differently by legislation. The only dispensation is that which allows CLs/CSs to be set up under different rules. Even then, as a minimum, water and waste points must be provided.

And then we go full circle to Lorrie’s that tramp with sleeping and cooking facilities 🤔

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
£12 for a car park with no facilities far to expensive & only until 8am who on earth gets up at 8am when away in a Motorhome.

If its free for cars I would boycott it on principle but I wouldn't be stopping at 12 quid anyway.

The link to that website says I am blocked..

Is that only me?

Not very good for trying to advertise a service.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The whole issue is a mess and getting worse. The legislation dates back to the '60s IIRC.

Exactly hence difficult to enforce.

If you use the facilities thing for Moho and not for Lorrie’s it’s positive discrimination and we know Labour arnt keen on that 🤷‍♂️

Jan 21, 2014
Middle-Of-Nowhere, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Tardis-Too
Show me a good, honest, tax paying traveller (there are no real gypsies in the uk) and I’ll show you where they store the real starship enterprise.
@our poppy llll

I don't normally like to have a go at others if possible ... but in your case, I'll make an exception this time as you thoroughly deserve it in my view.

Yours is a VERY bigoted AND Closed-Minded view & comment ..... I'd be tempted to offer to let you go & meet my auld Dad to "Show" you the sheer bigotry of your comment, but he died in 2021, and I wouldn't want to expose him to such bigotry even if he were still alive.

He was an honest, tax-paying traveller who help build MANY of the "new towns & suburbs" all across the UK over past decades !!
Furthermore, the community of Full-Time (and/or "much of the time") Motorhomers would also appear to fall within your "Traveller" description ... So presumably they are also all dis-honest, Non-Tax-Paying individuals in YOUR eyes.
>> So kindly "JOG ON" back into the recesses of your dark mind. :madder:

..... Now kindly publish exactly where I can see the REAL "Starshit Enterprise" at its location as you promised.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benivan
Ah but but but There are the ones that close overnight and opening times published some are free at bank holidays some not some free on Sundays many not and charges vary along with height and length restrictions no such thing as a standard charge which is one reason so many drivers get caught out. Maybe down here in the south where there are far more vehicles and density of the population it’s not surprising you will find car parks with 24 hour charges
I park up all over the UK and , sorry , but you are just spouting nonsense.
Not sure what your agenda is but I'd rather not be involved

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That’s very strange is that, when I stay at St Eloy les Mines in central France by 16.00 the aire is full of every European nationality you can think of. By 20.30 every restaurant on the Main Street and every bar is full of them, eating food, drinking beer. Walk up to the supermarket and the shops are full of people buying stuff, yes they use the supermarket too. But it’s all local people who are employed. As I fill up with fuel at the local garage (20cents cheaper than motorways) I notice there’s always a queue of motorhomes, lots buying bottled gas too.
And in a morning the local baker has a queue of people outside his shop buying bread and cakes.
Now if that’s not supporting local commerce, I’ll eat my hat…
Don't think I've ever seen a queue of motorhomes at a petrol station.

Or a bakers for that matter 😁

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
But we are not other countries and didn't we wish to take back control...control of where MoHo's can and cannot park for instance :unsure:
Can't remember seeing any mention of motorhomes in the brexit bullshit propaganda.

Could you perhaps be clutching at straws?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
My wife uses the shower as an additional wardrobe.
I can now see the root of your dependence on sites.👍
Could anyone show me where it says you have to be 6m apart by law….???

None of the CAMpRA Aires are required to have 6m spacings so it clearly isn’t a legislated requirement.

Ian

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
It seems to me many locations with large car parks in the UK are missing a trick when it comes to self contained Motorhome overnight parking.
National Trust, English Heritage, Port Marinas, Garden Centres, Marts, Supermarkets, Golf Clubs, the list goes on.
I often email places close to where I’d like to overnight asking if they would allow overnighting but 99% of the time receive a negative answer. So we end up using pubs, the few places that do encourage it and small 5 van type farm sites so we can empty and fill up.
Sadly, the UK has a long way to go to be able emulate the Aires on the continent.
Let's be honest the UK falls far behind most of Europe in most things . Weather, public transport , condition of roads , and that's before you think about the health ,fitness and general attractiveness of the people.. .. 😁

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
oh yes they do 😀 it depends on the town or city my town charges 24/7
Some nearby towns don’t so it depends is the real answer 😎👍
In 7 years I've never paid to park overnight or during the day to park in a carpark.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back