Caravan and Motorhome Club's website down! (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Their website 30 seconds ago........

1706558441847.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
A disaster waiting to happen when there are power outages. Very worrying for vulnerable old people who rely on pushing their Careline red button in an emergency and can't use smartphones.

Probably not, why would you need a smart phone to push a button if it’s an analogue device it can be connected to the back of the smart hub 2 and the ups for both the phone and the router.

No one likes change but contact your provider and I suspect a solution will be provided.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Probably not, why would you need a smart phone to push a button if it’s an analogue device it can be connected to the back of the smart hub 2 and the ups for both the phone and the router.

No one likes change but contact your provider and I suspect a solution will be provided.

As you rightly say no-one likes change (for the worse).

Your techy solution may be all fine and dandy in principle, if somewhat more complicated for the elderly consumer, and less failsafe in the event of prolonged power outage than existing analogue landlines (Careline boxes already have backup batteries). The dangers and risks have been pointed out many times including the risk of internet connections falling over and even cellular phone masts eventually running out of backup battery in a worst case scenario.

In my view such complexity offends the KISS principle. The overriding goal seems to be to save BT some costs; if, as a consequence old people die because no first responders were summoned, presumably for BT that will be acceptable collateral damage in return for "progress". Bonuses all round. A bit of PR is all that is required for damage limitation when the Mail headlines this story on the front page. Soon forgotten in our short news cycle.

Is BT Openreach really going to provide that solution for free? How many customers will fall through the cracks? Hmmm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
I’m tired of hearing that trendy management phrase CAMC keep using ‘abundance of caution’.

I saw this somewhere..

“An abundance of caution is bad. People buy all the toilet paper out of an abundance of caution. Now you don’t have any.

You wouldn’t get married if you practiced an abundance of caution. The chances are 50/50 you’re going to make it. When was the last time you made a life-impacting decision based on 50/50 odds?

Out of an abundance of caution, people don’t get vaccinated.

Out of an abundance of caution, eat more chocolate. After all, there could be a shortage.

Reasonable caution is enough” 😉

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I hate that trendy management phrase CAMC keep using ‘abundance of caution’.
Agreed, but a least their spotty mealy-mouthed marketing graduates avoided the ....'We are reaching out to assure members that we are working at pace for an early up-tick to this situation'.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I’m tired of hearing that trendy management phrase CAMC keep using ‘abundance of caution’.

I saw this somewhere..

“An abundance of caution is bad. People buy all the toilet paper out of an abundance of caution. Now you don’t have any.

You wouldn’t get married if you practiced an abundance of caution. The chances are 50/50 you’re going to make it. When was the last time you made a life-impacting decision based on 50/50 odds?

Out of an abundance of caution, people don’t get vaccinated.

Out of an abundance of caution, eat more chocolate. After all, there could be a shortage.

Reasonable caution is enough” 😉

The converse may result in Darwin Awards. Like the recent case of the base jumper whose parachute failed to open. Seems he hadn't noticed that the release cord was trapped by his backpack. A simple check ex abundante cautela.

Where there is a genuine perceived risk the precaution merely needs to be proportionate.

DJIT

Free Member
Aug 2, 2023
Oxfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL
Exp
VW T6 & tents.
This does seem pretty incredible in 2024.
For those of us who work in the industry, most customers want SLA's that have their system back up and running within minutes of a catastrophic failure - 1 hour at most - and that's for 24x7x365 operations.
The CAMC site has been down now for what, 8 days.... ??

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
They must be getting back to normal somehow. The e-Vouchers that were due to be delivered to our daughter, as a birthday present, on the 19th January were finally delivered yesterday!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
30 Jan 2024 update
+++++
Today's Update

Positive progress continues to be made on restoring Club systems.

We continue to work carefully, in tandem with our technical partners to get the website live as soon as possible. We are anticipating this will be in the next few days.

While our digital services aren't available, please find below key details to help you contact the Club. We are looking forward to talking with you again. However, we anticipate call volumes being higher than normal and we would ask for your patience and understanding during this period.

Joining the Club - 01342 318813

UK Club Campsite bookings - 01342 327490

Overseas Campsite and Ferry amendments - 01342 316101

Caravan Cover - 01342 336610

Mayday UK Breakdown - 0345 366 6579

Red Pennant - overseas emergency assistance - 01342 336633

Club Shop - https://shop.caravanclub.co.uk

Affiliated Campsites and Certificated Locations (CL's) can be contacted directly, the details of which are in the Sites Directory and Handbook

Our forensic investigation into this incident continues with our expert partners. This is a vital and ongoing step - we will notify members once this process is complete.

Thank you for the messages of support, we in turn thank you for your continued patience.

We sincerely apologise we are not yet in a position to fully restore all Club systems and our website. We continue to work with an abundance of caution.
+++++

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
How does the Club manage to take the balance before I arrive on site if it doesn't hold my card details for several weeks?
That is why I always use a 'one use disposable virtual card' if I can. If not,I either don't bother,or use a virtual card that locks after payment.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Why don't you all just cancel your direct debit or whatever you use to pay them, and get out and find other places with less hassle and money.
Just ask yourselves what you need them for.
We use them for access to the CLs

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I had to make a request for a plastic membership card because the Club stopped issuing them automatically on renewal. Members are supposed to have their membership details on the Club App, to show to the warden on arrival.
Really? I got one without having to ask for it, when my membership last renewed.
I didn't even have to show it when I stayed at the CMC Broadway site on Saturday. They were expecting me and called me by my name (they could see my van's reg through the window). I had all my confirmation info saved on my phone (email), and they owed me a refund via a code which was on the email and which the very helpful lady made a note of and apologised that it may take a bit longer to be processed due to the systems problems. I received that refund yesterday. My experience of the team at Broadway was that they were welcoming, helpful, calm and cheerful at a time which must've been causing quite a lot of extra complication for them.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
31st January update
+++++
We continue, in a cautious manner, to restore our remaining Club systems and work on the website is progressing well.

While our digital services aren't available, please find below key details to help you contact the Club. We are looking forward to talking with you again.

Joining the Club - 01342 318813

UK Club Campsite bookings - 01342 327490

Overseas Campsite and Ferry amendments - 01342 316101

Caravan Cover - 01342 336610

Motorhome Insurance - 01342 488377

Mayday UK Breakdown - 0345 366 6579

Red Pennant - overseas emergency assistance - 01342 336633

Club Shop - https://shop.caravanclub.co.uk

ClubFest - 01342 33 66 66

Training Courses - 01342 336666

Technical enquiries - 01342 336611

We are, as anticipated, receiving a high volume of calls. All available agents are on the phones ready to take your calls and we would continue to ask for your patience and understanding during this period.

The forensic investigation continues and we will of course share relevant information when it becomes available.

Although call volumes have been high today, we would like to thank those members who offered their best wishes and messages of support for the team working to get the rest of our systems live.

Thank you for your continued patience. We sincerely apologise we are not yet in a position to fully restore all Club systems and our website.
+++++

GerTee

LIFE MEMBER
May 9, 2016
Near Fareham
Funster No
MH
Burstner iXeo
Exp
Since 2016 - UK & Europe
Ransomware? Spread to any online backup with no off-site, offline backup available?

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Do they mean creeping around the office and whispering as they work

Pressing keys on the keyboard very softly and slowly.

Keeping a lookout for wild animals as they restore databases

What are they being cautious about?
They are hiding behind their desks in case a Funster appears and gives them a few ‘home truths’
😈😈😈

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ransomware? Spread to any online backup with no off-site, offline backup available?

That happened to a company I was working with. The boss used to attach a backup NAS drive at his home every thursday night and back up, they hacked him on a Thursday and locked everything down. They had an old two year backup they reinstalled and then manually rebuilt the data, but it was never the same and they are gone now.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Do they mean creeping around the office and whispering as they work

Pressing keys on the keyboard very softly and slowly.

Keeping a lookout for wild animals as they restore databases

What are they being cautious about?
They must be nearly there as they're not using an abundance of it now!:whistle2::giggler:

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
My wife works for a food processing plant.
Cyber ransom attacked and locked out. Took less than 24 hours before they reloaded from backups. Although a painful process their remote IT dept had it all sorted so quickly...... compared to Caravan Club

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
As you rightly say no-one likes change (for the worse).

Your techy solution may be all fine and dandy in principle, if somewhat more complicated for the elderly consumer, and less failsafe in the event of prolonged power outage than existing analogue landlines (Careline boxes already have backup batteries). The dangers and risks have been pointed out many times including the risk of internet connections falling over and even cellular phone masts eventually running out of backup battery in a worst case scenario.

In my view such complexity offends the KISS principle. The overriding goal seems to be to save BT some costs; if, as a consequence old people die because no first responders were summoned, presumably for BT that will be acceptable collateral damage in return for "progress". Bonuses all round. A bit of PR is all that is required for damage limitation when the Mail headlines this story on the front page. Soon forgotten in our short news cycle.

Is BT Openreach really going to provide that solution for free? How many customers will fall through the cracks? Hmmm.
This one makes me laugh, but not at you, the issue is that BT and others cannot run an analogue service's the world has changed Siemens, GEC, Marconi et al do not make exchange equipment that power's this stuff ( some of those organisations do not exist anymore). Apart from the equipment no longer being manufactured everything is IP everything has a mac address.

If you have fibre to the premises you cannot get an analogue service and you cannot pour power down it, the fibre is dark until you have a box powered at both ends. The coms providers will have power at their end along with UPS and if sensible generators. the consumer if they need it will have to provide their own power and UPS, just as we have at home.

The world has changed the world is IP, it is a massive change for the country, if you have an elderly relative you are worried about then contact the service provide (not open reach) and see what they can offer I suspect there will be something for the vulnerable there normally is.

Changing from Analogue to Digital (IP) is not an option it is happening

You mention power cuts, but it's just as libel for overhead cables to fall in a storm or a cable accidentally cut in the street these things happen.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back