canal du midi à la chaser Feb 2017 (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I was going to ask about wind and whether ok to leave up. Fingers crossed :unsure:

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
right now I am hoping my statement about being 'firmly anchored down' is really right

if we only had our wind out awning out right now we would be panicking to put it away, even if it did have ratchet straps, the wind has really got up, power of prayer may just be needed overnight

however, it doesn't seem to be moving or creaking much, but we can feel the MH moving even with E + P deployed o_O

it could be a one use wonder :( or an amazing advert for Thule Omnistore awning / safari room combinations (y)
Perhaps best to consider your sig and put in a reef now. ;)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
morning all, seriously windy overnight, just checked the local forecast they are saying 50 / 55 mph winds till midday, had at first thought it must be kph, but I am using the BBC, it is mph!!

no harm done, Bev popped out into the awning to check the pegs in the middle of the night (I had more confidence) :whistle:

still really battering us now, but doesn't seem half as bad in daylight, but I didn't check the weather last night so don't now know if the wind is stronger than last night or less

definitely far too windy to contemplate taking it down anyway, forecast says winds down to 12 / 15 mph by this afternoon and some sun, full sun and 16C from tomorrow for a few days :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Plans made for next couple of days, moving on from Twin Lakes, great little site very friendly, Gary has brought in bread each day, €15 / night including hook up, he even opened up a grass area tap for us to refill, dump option on roadside nice and easy

tomorrow we are going to Valence for the market, hope we get there in time, we are not very good at early starts, but it is only 120 miles away

Bev loves a market it will be my anniversary present to her :)(y)

then on to Montferrand, the highest point on the canal, but technically virtually the start as well, the navigable river Garonde becomes canal around there

then Homps or Le Somail or may do both if weather isn't as bad as forecast by then :(

Le Somail
One of the Midi's prettiest villages, Le Somail grew up around a stone-arched bridge, le Pont de St-Marcel, built in the 17th century. An 18th century chapel stands at the end of the bridge.

above pasted from a canal guide, we don't expect wisteria yet

but stay positive, the wind is due to die down this afternoon and sunny forecast for three days :)(y)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
When we were at Homps in September it looked as though they might start building very soon.
There has been a large board up with planning information for a residential and retail development where the aire is.
Don't know if it will affect the aire or if parking will be stopped.
Will be interested in what you find when you get there.
If you're unable to park by the marina you can go down to the nearby lake.

Richard.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
thanks @Clarky I had seen that in your comment earlier, thought we would have a look, the aire at le Somail looks to be only a walk away, so can use that instead

a lot of the aires along the canal appear to be no facilities, although I do tend to look at the free ones :)

will be looking for drive in dump options, we used the aire at Carcassonne last year for just that, 1/2 hour for free through barrier, but you need to be quick over 1/2 hour costs a full day €20 o_O

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Sticking that safari room up cannot be related to a caravan awning. We had a safari (sold it when we realised it was useless to us) but it is only connecting 3 zips and a bit of pegging then dong the windbreak through the van. 5-10 minutes probably about right for one person. (assuming you have the height advantage)
I was also the bloke on the campsite who sat there watching when the obvious newbies came in to do their awning. There would be a group of surfers on the same campsite every year and we just went to the most obvious and overt viewing caravan and deliberately sit there watching. we allowed them to fail a couple of times before 4 or 5 of us would just pop over and get it done in about 3 minutes.
It was the entertainment

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Plans made for next couple of days, moving on from Twin Lakes, great little site very friendly, Gary has brought in bread each day, €15 / night including hook up, he even opened up a grass area tap for us to refill, dump option on roadside nice and easy

tomorrow we are going to Valence for the market, hope we get there in time, we are not very good at early starts, but it is only 120 miles away

Bev loves a market it will be my anniversary present to her :)(y)

then on to Montferrand, the highest point on the canal, but technically virtually the start as well, the navigable river Garonde becomes canal around there

then Homps or Le Somail or may do both if weather isn't as bad as forecast by then :(

Le Somail
One of the Midi's prettiest villages, Le Somail grew up around a stone-arched bridge, le Pont de St-Marcel, built in the 17th century. An 18th century chapel stands at the end of the bridge.

above pasted from a canal guide, we don't expect wisteria yet

but stay positive, the wind is due to die down this afternoon and sunny forecast for three days :)(y)
I'd go now, really excellent aire, and you need to be early for market.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sticking that safari room up cannot be related to a caravan awning. We had a safari (sold it when we realised it was useless to us) but it is only connecting 3 zips and a bit of pegging then dong the windbreak through the van. 5-10 minutes probably about right for one person. (assuming you have the height advantage)
I was also the bloke on the campsite who sat there watching when the obvious newbies came in to do their awning. There would be a group of surfers on the same campsite every year and we just went to the most obvious and overt viewing caravan and deliberately sit there watching. we allowed them to fail a couple of times before 4 or 5 of us would just pop over and get it done in about 3 minutes.
It was the entertainment

I think 5 - 10 minutes is setting the bar rather high if you are suggesting that time for ours, maybe after a few more tries we might get down to half an hour :) there will be a sweep running for the next rally soon :)

this safari room is pretty much like our old caravan awning for size, we used to have 640's in our caravanning days and the awning was near as the same as the body length, but much heavier to put up than the safari room as there is no roof to put on

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have a lovely anniversary tomorrow both of you:) ( having it valentines day makes it easy for not just you to to remember it:LOL:)

Glad the safari room stood the test - looks very solid:)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
just met another funster, @SuperMike arrived at Twin Lakes yesterday in the dark

travelling incognito, well no funster badge anyway :) you can't exactly miss them in the worlds biggest Winnebago :)(y)

although it is painted a camouflage colour :)

Cheek. I will speak to your lady wife about you, you will find that us Scout people stick together. :) Further, I do not adorn beauty with badges. :p

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Be careful David when you get to the Midi.
Got a weather alert on my phone just now from Meteo-France.
"Inondation sur la commune de Homps (11200)"

Previous message was "Risque d'inondation". Looks like the flooding has arrived.

Richard.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007

Bev loves a market it will be my anniversary present to her :)

If you do by any chance get up too late and miss the market ...... To placate Bev there is always the Saturday market in the mediaeval square in Revel. There is an aire on the outskirts

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Have you been out for Plat Du Jour yet David.
Maybe today would be a good time, being as its Valentines day.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Be careful David when you get to the Midi.
Got a weather alert on my phone just now from Meteo-France.
"Inondation sur la commune de Homps (11200)"

Previous message was "Risque d'inondation". Looks like the flooding has arrived.

Richard.
The alert is for anywhere from toulouse to the Pyrenees to the med coast...Heavy rain and floods...

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Have a good day! (y) :)

All the best to you both.
Room looks good too. :cool:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Cheek. I will speak to your lady wife about you, you will find that us Scout people stick together. :) Further, I do not adorn beauty with badges. :p

So, he gets up early, on the pretence that he is taking his wife somewhere nice for her birthday, and sneaks out before I am awake, so that I don't get the opportunity to speak to his wife and have him sorted out. Cowedly custard. :whistle2:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Woke up at a decent hour this morning, decided to get off early and have half a chance of getting to the market at Valence, shame to be leaving Twin Lakes, best day of the three by some, enjoy @SuperMike (y), presuming the sun is still up when you rise :)(y)

IMG_2002.JPG

we had done some research for today so knew it was about 130 miles and 2 / 3 hours toll free, looked at 2 options google maps said 2 hours on one route 3 hours on the other, Gary on site said do not go on the three hour option via Bergerac, pretty but awful drive

So we headed off on the 2 hour route with TT suggesting a 7 hour later arrival time o_Oo_O

Turns out there are bigger versions of Valence than the one we are heading for, so reprogrammed for the one near Toulouse not the one near Grenoble (y)

Set off from Montendre, realised we hadn't put fuel in on way in, or when passing a couple in the town, TT still looking for new route, Bev says we should have gone right there, oh well I know this way back to the N10, so carry on my way, just as the yellow light comes on the dash giving us a max 2 galls = ab max 40 miles, lets hope there is a service area on the N10. Its 2 years since I had a squeaky bum moment (due to low fuel at least). this time no issues at all, but kind of lucky I hadn't taken the right turn in Montendre as we would have missed the services that way :)(y)

Full of fuel but not breakfasted, but we had bought bread, local shop we happened to pass, Bev comes back with 2 large baguettes, picked on looks alone but 2€ each, some rustic option, but look and smell good, agree to stop when we turn off the Bordeaux motorway section for Agen

The weather is still lovely and sunny, really hot behind the glass, we stop for breakfast, my usual bread and jam (apricot) Bev prefers ginger, head on with 60 odd miles to get to Valence and a diminishing chance of the market :(

Find Valence, find the aire, another free one, although 5€ if you want any water :( although 5€ for the night would still be a good deal, parked up between a local canal and a navigable canal section of the river Garonde, that rather scarily is about 30' higher than where we are parked

The town may come to life for the market, but by 2 it has long gone and the place is about as dead as I expect @chaser found it on the Monday night he came here, nice walk through the town,

IMG_2008.JPG

back to MH for a beer, then a walk along the canal side

IMG_2009.JPG

this is the 'local' canal I think linking to the river Lot, this is in another league, the navigable section of the river Gironde

IMG_2016.JPG

Back at MH now, couldn't find anywhere we really fancied in town @Robert Clark :) so this is our table d'hote (y)

IMG_2023.JPG

you could still guess the price though I guess, a tin of waitrose olives and a bottle of our favourite pink fizz

followed by

IMG_2024.JPG

we will be adding a tin of kidney beans and one of the baguettes mentioned above, I know what I paid for these

not quite the expensive meal out Bev deserves, but I think she is happy with this option

upload_2017-2-14_16-45-14.png

apologies for that last photo, we really don't do and don't like doing selfies :)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
quick update on our location, it appears to be an old abattoir, just got me thinking, is abattoir a French word, we certainly spell it the same, but is public also a French word???

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2014.JPG

before being told off, I know we cant or shouldn't deploy our awning, it was only out to dry as it went away wet yesterday, it is away already

but a very nice 18C and full sunshine, walking in T shirt, very nice :)(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Woke up at a decent hour this morning, decided to get off early and have half a chance of getting to the market at Valence, shame to be leaving Twin Lakes, best day of the three by some, enjoy @SuperMike (y), presuming the sun is still up when you rise :)(y)

View attachment 147895

we had done some research for today so knew it was about 130 miles and 2 / 3 hours toll free, looked at 2 options google maps said 2 hours on one route 3 hours on the other, Gary on site said do not go on the three hour option via Bergerac, pretty but awful drive

So we headed off on the 2 hour route with TT suggesting a 7 hour later arrival time o_Oo_O

Turns out there are bigger versions of Valence than the one we are heading for, so reprogrammed for the one near Toulouse not the one near Grenoble (y)

Set off from Montendre, realised we hadn't put fuel in on way in, or when passing a couple in the town, TT still looking for new route, Bev says we should have gone right there, oh well I know this way back to the N10, so carry on my way, just as the yellow light comes on the dash giving us a max 2 galls = ab max 40 miles, lets hope there is a service area on the N10. Its 2 years since I had a squeaky bum moment (due to low fuel at least). this time no issues at all, but kind of lucky I hadn't taken the right turn in Montendre as we would have missed the services that way :)(y)

Full of fuel but not breakfasted, but we had bought bread, local shop we happened to pass, Bev comes back with 2 large baguettes, picked on looks alone but 2€ each, some rustic option, but look and smell good, agree to stop when we turn off the Bordeaux motorway section for Agen

The weather is still lovely and sunny, really hot behind the glass, we stop for breakfast, my usual bread and jam (apricot) Bev prefers ginger, head on with 60 odd miles to get to Valence and a diminishing chance of the market :(

Find Valence, find the aire, another free one, although 5€ if you want any water :( although 5€ for the night would still be a good deal, parked up between a local canal and a navigable canal section of the river Garonde, that rather scarily is about 30' higher than where we are parked

The town may come to life for the market, but by 2 it has long gone and the place is about as dead as I expect @chaser found it on the Monday night he came here, nice walk through the town,

View attachment 147900

back to MH for a beer, then a walk along the canal side

View attachment 147901

this is the 'local' canal I think linking to the river Lot, this is in another league, the navigable section of the river Gironde

View attachment 147902

Back at MH now, couldn't find anywhere we really fancied in town @Robert Clark :) so this is our table d'hote (y)

View attachment 147903

you could still guess the price though I guess, a tin of waitrose olives and a bottle of our favourite pink fizz

followed by

View attachment 147904

we will be adding a tin of kidney beans and one of the baguettes mentioned above, I know what I paid for these

not quite the expensive meal out Bev deserves, but I think she is happy with this option

View attachment 147906

apologies for that last photo, we really don't do and don't like doing selfies :)(y)
Don't remember any charge for water, is the abattoir open , there was all sorts in there and a tap on the wall down the side outside.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When we were there, there was a kitchen inside with microwaves and sinks and toilets, didn't try any of them but they all appeared to be free for anyone to use.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
quick update on our location, it appears to be an old abattoir, just got me thinking, is abattoir a French word, we certainly spell it the same, but is public also a French word???

View attachment 147909

View attachment 147910

before being told off, I know we cant or shouldn't deploy our awning, it was only out to dry as it went away wet yesterday, it is away already

but a very nice 18C and full sunshine, walking in T shirt, very nice :)(y)
You are parked in exactly the same place we were(y):)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
The abattoir section is all locked up and gated, there is a service point with taps and electrics right outside the gate, the 5€ does at least include 2 hours electrics if wanted, there is a tap further down but no handle to turn

we are full of clean and empty of waste anyway, but free dump of waste here at least (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
actually we may get no further than the wine and olives, just in negotiation as to who will cook, but you need to factor in a second bottle of pink fizz :D2:D2

for the sake of GTB presume we do eat :):):)

and no going over (y)(y)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Happy Anniversary both of you(y)