canal du midi à la chaser Feb 2017 (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
got up this morning to another white over frost and -2C, nice lazy start though, wandered into town on a bread hunt but as Peter suggested more wine sellers than anything and no obvious boulangerie, nice place to stop though, although we didn't use either there is a café and a pizzeria within 100 yds of the aire which is also on the approach road to a camp site, closed this tie of year though and right down beside the river, slightly risky in winter maybe, the aire was nicely elevated

IMG_1974.JPG

IMG_1975.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

Bev and Lola ready for the pop into town, you might just be able to see the snow that started to fall

IMG_1976.JPG

we could have stayed at home for this weather :)(y) as advised by some :whistle:

But within a few minutes of leaving the aire, heading south from Tours the sun comes out, the roads are oh so typically French, dead straight often tree lined, it feels like spring behind the glass

Bought some bread a stopped about 30 miles south of Tours for breakfast / lunch, fresh bread and apricot jam for me :):)

Think we are almost certainly probably heading for twin lake for tonight and a few nights, weather looks positively warm around there (y) but still checking weather and route options now :)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I am going to share a little secret here, some of you may have seen my other battery thread, but they might be a little on the critical side if they see this post on there, you lot will hopefully be more sympathetic or at least maybe empathetic

We are now running on a single battery, which due to the condition of the failed one (now removed by James at Vanbitz) the one good one is much better on its own, but I am now paranoid about consumption as we intend to be on aires for a good few nights running, although also driving every day, but I am still not overly sure how much charge the alternator gives the habitation batteries, but it seems to do the job

my little (or actually series of) secrets

As we arrived at Vouvray last night we had plenty of Volts 13 dropping to 12.7 which I understand is quite normal. we arrived in the last bit of daylight, so lights on inside, Alde on although it didn't need to run for a while due to residual heat, took Lola out after tea and put on new awning light full length LED. Came in forgot to turn it off o_O, worse didn't realise till went out with her at bed time o_O

woke up about 2 for the loo, noticed then I had at some point turned on some totally useless step lights by the bed, we never use them and they are still halogen bulbs, no idea how long they had been on but even worserer then noticed I still hadn't turned off the awning light :(

all off, back to bed, Alde ran most of the night set at 15C, got up at 8:30, first check was the battery condition, 12.2V nowhere near brilliant, but considering I had been illuminating the park area most of the night and the steps, not too bad. But also noticed we were still drawing 2.2A but nothing was running, even the Alde was off. Then found at the same time I probably caught the step lights, I had also turned on the fluorescent light in the shower o_Oo_O I lie next to a bank of 8 switches in bed, all far too easy to bump into, the shower light is behind a solid door so no clue at all that it is on

Anyway all sorted by the drive already today, thought I had an issue with my laptop charger, but sorted that as well, sun is shining had lunch all is very good here :):)(y)(y)

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
motorhoming 1979 ---- 2024
Hi David,
We stayed at Vouvray last year , there was 9 there .
nice little free aire.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
Dont think i have read the other thread but having had 2 batteries for a while ........................ you know whats coming ........................ however............. if your heating works off gas and you cook off gas and even if you have an inverter for a 240 volt tv, as long as youre careful there is enough electricity (presuming solar panel) to survive and enjoy a film in a night. 2 batteries would leave you in comfort and 2 films !
Batteries are incredibly expensive in France from Norauto i think i ended up paying nearly 200 euros against internet purchase of 50 nicker back home

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I run with one leisure battery, 100w solar and a battery master, all led lighting. Monitor is rarely out of green.
Travelled up through France in December stopping only at aires, no problem alternator pumps away when moving charging battery and running fridge. Use gas for fridge and heating when not moving. Why not remove the halogen bulbs in the step entrance?

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
@DavidG58 David, hope you reached Twinlakes today because everywhere to the north has an orange alert for snow and ice for tonight and tomorrow morning...

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@DavidG58 David, hope you reached Twinlakes today because everywhere to the north has an orange alert for snow and ice for tonight and tomorrow morning...

Thanks for that, just shopping in Montendre

Well Bev is I am just checking the address for Twin Lakes and seeing that they are open

Never really crossed my mind until a few miles back said

'Twin Lakes are definitely open at this time of year, aren't they'

'Of course dear'

Even if they are not we can pop back to the aire here, but my ears will be burning o_O

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I run with one leisure battery, 100w solar and a battery master, all led lighting. Monitor is rarely out of green.
Travelled up through France in December stopping only at aires, no problem alternator pumps away when moving charging battery and running fridge. Use gas for fridge and heating when not moving. Why not remove the halogen bulbs in the step entrance?

I am confident we will be OK

Heating is Alde though so we need volts for the pump

as for the LED's yet another example of my one off Hymer 'features'

If only I knew how to get at the bulbs they would be changed not just removed, might just have a go at prising them off tomorrow, but it could end up with broken lights o_O

I have also checked the light switch bank, I over counted there are only 6, but how stupidly placed, normally Bev sleeps this side though (without incident) :whistle:

IMG_1981.JPG

IMG_1980.JPG

Oooh, Bev will wish she had swept up before I took that photo, the flash is unforgiving :unsure:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wish ours was that clean, our avatar is sitting outside a bar in montendre, we have quite a few friends who live around there and it is their shopping town(y)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don't you know how to work a brush then David? ;) And besides, you're on holiday....b*gger the housework :)

that's alright till you post it on a public forum :)

and yes I do, but the flash really caught me out (y)

BTW Twin Lakes is open all year we are parked up by one of the lakes (big ponds really :))

got here just in time to watch Wales nearly win the rugby (y)

satellite good this far down for an 80cm dome :)(y)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Glad you've got on site & pics of the new room would be nice. Hope it's warmer there:)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
arrived too close to darkness to put new safari room up and it was decidedly breezy, even Bev agreed not put it up tonight

it will go up tomorrow to fight off the 16C shady conditions :):)(y)(y)

it is part of the deal :)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Oooh, Bev will wish she had swept up before I took that photo, the flash is unforgiving :unsure:

As the owner of the second biggest Motorhome I've ever seen
And the owner of the biggest dog in the world, maybe you should invest in one of these for cleaning the van

IMG_6558.JPG

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I bet the occupiers of the MH next to you last night we're glad your awning not on the side next to them!
It does seem an annoying place for the light switches.
Hope it gets a bit warmer tomorrow for you.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Twin Lakes for another night at least, we are now firmly anchored down on one side by Bev's new safari room :):)(y)(y)

too cold today to sit out there though, although did have some sunshine while we put it up, very nice inside then :)

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

probably stopping here till Tuesday, half decent weather forecast here for tomorrow, lousy all over Tuesday so will move down to start our canal part of the trip then, ready for sunnier days rest of the week

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
That is what caravanners say about their awnings. ;) I have spent many an enjoyable 2 hours watching them put it up in an hour or so. :D2
Oh it was you was it Peter:LOL: cause for divorce putting a full awning up on a caravan:tmi: I used to hate being the site entertainment but then we'd be as bad & sit watching others set up that arrived after us. :ROFLMAO:

That's what I love so much about the mh - no hassle. Even with the quest pop up awning it only takes a few mins & I can manage it myself.:rock:

Do you think you'll be using the safari room at Misterton David? We can time you, see if you can break 60 mins:happy:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
right now I am hoping my statement about being 'firmly anchored down' is really right

if we only had our wind out awning out right now we would be panicking to put it away, even if it did have ratchet straps, the wind has really got up, power of prayer may just be needed overnight

however, it doesn't seem to be moving or creaking much, but we can feel the MH moving even with E + P deployed o_O

it could be a one use wonder :( or an amazing advert for Thule Omnistore awning / safari room combinations (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back