LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I have not got a cadac, am I missing out on the chance of winning the lottery or are they just over hyped bits of kit that people have bought and are frightened to criticise for fear of ridicule? No Idea , no intention of getting one! :rolleyes:
I agree I think they are very overrated and have no bearing on a bbq at all, there’s no charcoal so no smoke flavour, you’re virtually cooking it in a very expensive PAN. Looked at them once and decided straight off that they are not a bbq, you might as well just cook on a gas ring outside and use a frying pan cos that’s all a Cadac is, same with a gas bbq, been there had that might as well just cook under the grill. A bbq is charcoal fired which gives the food it’s unique flavour.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I agree I think they are very overrated and have no bearing on a bbq at all, there’s no charcoal so no smoke flavour, you’re virtually cooking it in a very expensive PAN. Looked at them once and decided straight off that they are not a bbq, you might as well just cook on a gas ring outside and use a frying pan cos that’s all a Cadac is, same with a gas bbq, been there had that might as well just cook under the grill. A bbq is charcoal fired which gives the food it’s unique flavour.
I 'nearly' totally agree with you there ... the last sentence is the bit I don't agree with as despite our suitcase gas BBQ not having charcoal we do get a BBQ taste from the food being cooked on the grid over an open flame ... which is even more 'authentic' when we get flare ups! :giggle:

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We’ve gone for the Cadac Safari Chef pro (after much reading). We wanted an outside gas cooker / BBQ (I know....it’s not a real BBQ ;) ) that could do most things. It’s got all the cooking bits as we wanted one pan / one griddle cooking. Paid £29 extra for the 28cm Paella pan.........all we need now is our van.:(

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I think I need to invent a barbecue that unpacks itself , lights itself , cooks the food for you and then cleans up and packs itself away . Judging by some of the comments , sales would be very good! 😂😂😂😂
I have one of those, I call it Her indoors, even automatically washes and wipes (y) job done

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Had a Cadac for quite a few years, it was ok but a sod to clean. Sold it for more than I paid for it and bought an Iroda O Grill.

It looks like a serious piece of kit, just watched a review of one, but best part of £600................Ouch!

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
I 'nearly' totally agree with you there ... the last sentence is the bit I don't agree with as despite our suitcase gas BBQ not having charcoal we do get a BBQ taste from the food being cooked on the grid over an open flame ... which is even more 'authentic' when we get flare ups! :giggle:
Exactly, the juices need to drop onto avery hot surface to impart a bbq flavour.
The bbq flavour actually comes from the meat/fish/veg juices/moisture/fat dripping on to the cooking surface and vapourising thus surrounding the bbq'd item with smoke/steam which imparts the flavour.

It's almost impossible for it to do that on what is basically a griddle plate because there is no 'drop'.The most you will get is a charred flavour from the ridges if hot enough.

I bought an early gas bbq in the mid 80's . It had steel plates above the heat source and a grid about 6 inches above that for the items to be cooked to sit on. I was very sceptical about it's ability to bbq but the man demonstrating it ( I was buying a large-6ft long- one for hotel use) explained the above to me and I bought it there and then- after tasting the bbq'd meat.

Aug 30, 2011
Gresham, North Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544SL
Exp
12 years
We have the same portable gas barbecue as Minxy Girl... it is brilliant! So easy to use and clean afterwards. Cheap cartridges too! It is ideal for two. We had the big full-monty Cadac which we used about three times...what a faff! Decided the Safari version would suit us better... used once!

Cadac's are basically a griddle. Once we realised that, we started to use our two burner basic camp stove for general outside use and then place a good quality oven tray onto both burners when we want to griddle something like...breakfast, burgers or tray bake and so on. Lots of surface and you can adjust either burner to suit the different temperatures you need. Easy to clean too!

Charcoal is an inert substance and is often used to purify or filter things... the idea that it flavours food is to me, nonsense! It is just a medium for fat to drop onto which then turns it to an oily smoke and that imparts the flavour to food...similar to lava rock. What I will say is that, both charcoal and lava rock have a tendency to cook food more evenly than open flame barbecues and so, can give good results more often... fine if you have the time! We occasionally buy and use a disposable charcoal barbecue if cooking for more than the two of us. These arrangements suit us and don't take up much room.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2016
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Chieftain
Exp
Since 2015
Have just had a look at CADAC's own website,
They are a South African company and the original description of the CADAC is a Braii or Skottel, which is an outdoor griddle, later called a barbecue in order to sell worldwide.
I believe that to barbecue actually means to cook outdoors, no matter what the cooking appliance is.
Everybody has their own preferences, of how to cook their meat etc outdoors,
So let's all get on with our own way,

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
Have just had a look at CADAC's own website,
They are a South African company and the original description of the CADAC is a Braii or Skottel, which is an outdoor griddle, later called a barbecue in order to sell worldwide.
I believe that to barbecue actually means to cook outdoors, no matter what the cooking appliance is.
Everybody has their own preferences, of how to cook their meat etc outdoors,
So let's all get on with our own way,
The origin ot the word Barbecue- freshly marintad and googled.

"The word barbecue comes from the language of a Caribbean Indian tribe called the Taino. Their word for grilling on a raised wooden grate is barbacoa. The word first appeared in print in a Spanish explorer's account of the West Indies in 1526, according to Planet Barbecue. "

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
20200907_200949.jpg

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
actually the word 'barbeque' comes from the old testamant, from the book of Maccabees 2

in it states quite clearly that ' he did go forth and builded for himself something that cooked like a fire, but was not of fire, but more of heat, with some flame when the fat doth weep, but still it cooketh like a fire and it was known by many names, in many tongues, of which cobb, cadac and portable gas and disposable are but some and he calleth the method 'barbecue'. And he did say unto everyone, get a life ....... it matter not howeth it be cooked so long as it offers sustenance to the hungry, so long as those who cooketh and those who eateth doth share some liquid imbibication both during and after ....

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
actually the word 'barbeque' comes from the old testamant, from the book of Maccabees 2

in it states quite clearly that ' he did go forth and builded for himself something that cooked like a fire, but was not of fire, but more of heat, with some flame when the fat doth weep, but still it cooketh like a fire and it was known by many names, in many tongues, of which cobb, cadac and portable gas and disposable are but some and he calleth the method 'barbecue'. And he did say unto everyone, get a life ....... it matter not howeth it be cooked so long as it offers sustenance to the hungry, so long as those who cooketh and those who eateth doth share some liquid imbibication both during and after ....
Always thought it was Moses using up some dried bullrushes in an attempt to clear his 'Sinaises' rather than taking any tablets!

Last edited:

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Of course you could commence the next argument, is what us Brits call a bbq actually a grill and a true bbq in fact a fire pit?

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We are new converts to a Cadac. We have the table top variety. I agree absolutely that it's not a BBQ. Nothing beats cooking decent meat on a proper BBQ. However, for two people, wanting two steaks, lighting a BBQ for four minutes cooking, is a faff. I cooked two steaks on our Cadac last week and they were really great, without any faff.

We have a pizza stone for our Cadac and a roasting pan. I can see already many delicious meals on the way.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
FACT --- a gas fired appliance for outdoor cooking is a BBQ !!! i have just been watching Peppa Pig with my grandaughter and they had visitors from Australia (the Kangeroo family) - Daddy Kangeroo said, we can have a BBQ and immediately got out a gas fired appliance, almost identical to a cadac. So the discussion/argument has been settled for ever !!
20200915_084125.jpg

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Whilst I agree about a proper BBQ being a better way to cook meat; for two people wanting two steaks, two minutes each side a Cadac works. I never thought I would say that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
FACT --- a gas fired appliance for outdoor cooking is a BBQ !!! i have just been watching Peppa Pig with my grandaughter and they had visitors from Australia (the Kangeroo family) - Daddy Kangeroo said, we can have a BBQ and immediately got out a gas fired appliance, almost identical to a cadac. So the discussion/argument has been settled for ever !!View attachment 425183
I'm shocked ... I can't believe it, really I can't ....

That you admit to watching Peppa Pig! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back