Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yeah why not...it’s no different to a gas stove with no plates on.

Im talking about a safari chef.....not a carry chef
Yes I know, we had a Safari chef previously but you still have to assemble them.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Yes I know, we had a Safari chef previously but you still have to assemble them.
Well there’s something wrong with mine....I just get it out of the bag connect a gas source of choice and light it, nothing to assemble.

Maybe the difference between the safari chef and the safari chef 2?

But as we’ve already established you have you preference I have mine, the difference being I’m not knocking your choice or looking for floors with what you choose to do.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well there’s something wrong with mine....I just get it out of the bag connect a gas source of choice and light it, nothing to assemble.

Maybe the difference between the safari chef and the safari chef 2?

But as we’ve already established you have you preference I have mine, the difference being I’m not knocking your choice or looking for floors with what you choose to do.
Not sure why you think I'm trying to knock your choice, I'm not, just having a chat with a buddy ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend A
Exp
July 09
We use our cadac to cook outside. If that happens to be an aire in France, in a morning, and I happen to put on a shed load of bacon so the smell wafts into neighbours motorhomes and the black pudding come out and fry some eggs on there, to the delight/annoyance/education of others then sobeit.

Wouldnt go away without one, but cooking bacon in France and seeing their faces, priceless

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Not sure why you think I'm trying to knock your choice, I'm not, just having a chat with a buddy ...
I know......👍🏼

People just don’t need other people’s negativity......If it works for you it works for you, regardless of brand or cost and if it doesn’t it doesn’t

and that’s not aimed at you.....well not directly 😉😂

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I'm firmly in the love it camp. We have a really old Mini Chef - Looks like the safari chef without a lid. Never has it blown out and that's using it on open beaches in Scotland. Probably because it is HP not LP. Easy to clean - Dogs do the pre-wash and Jane finishes it off in the sink after washing everything else. We are going away for 2 week soon and may well use it every other day. Do I want 7 Disposables - no. They are too hot for too long after cooking and I'm not putting it back into the MH whilst hot, so leave it outside for animals to get at - no to that as well. Faf to assemble - if unclipping one leg to release all three to spring out rather than finding a table or something to stand a cooker on - no. Could we use it in the MH whilst waiting for the Tunnel - yes, if I really wanted to, but never would - I'd use the MH cooker as gas isn't off until we've gone through PP control and have never waited for such a time where I would need another cup of tea. Jane hates the smell of Coffee, so what better way for my Moca Pot, than on the Cadac.
B94C5524-A6FF-408C-A47F-5D8FEDB1D38D.jpeg

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
I’m with Cal54. Use a mat, rinse the mat, hey presto, 2 minutes job. Even shown it to a Frenchman in the campsite washing up area. He was most impressed

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2025
Exp
Since 2007
Look, for any outdoor cooking gadgets, just get a nice big gorilla tub, and throw the lot in there with plenty of fairy liquid, then after an over night soak, you have an easy clean up job in the morning. We have done exactly this tonight with our cobb. Have done this with the Cadac too..it’s a breeze. (y)

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Had a Cadac for quite a few years, it was ok but a sod to clean. Sold it for more than I paid for it and bought an Iroda O Grill.

Nov 22, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
PVC WildAx
Exp
Since 2007
I love my Cadac and am always called for at family get togethers. A warning here though! I tried a silicone cooking sheet for the first time there was a lot of flaming on one spot which went out - all normal looking as the usual BBQ process. On dismantling I discovered the flaming fat had melted the top of one leg and the fixing unit on the base. Oops. Check your foil and sheets don't overlap the edges. It will be copper wire and drilled hole repairs for me to try and mend!! Expensive lesson.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Those suitcase stoves have their uses, but be careful if you put a massive frying pan or paella pan on them, these can deflect the heat onto the gas canister and can cause them to explode.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I love my Cadac and am always called for at family get togethers. A warning here though! I tried a silicone cooking sheet for the first time there was a lot of flaming on one spot which went out - all normal looking as the usual BBQ process. On dismantling I discovered the flaming fat had melted the top of one leg and the fixing unit on the base. Oops. Check your foil and sheets don't overlap the edges. It will be copper wire and drilled hole repairs for me to try and mend!! Expensive lesson.

i think the warning is really to check there is no build up of fat prior to cooking/putting the mats on top.

ps i have some spare bits lying around if you tell me which cadac it is and what you need? i utilised the bits from other peoples 'defunct' cadacs and have a few bits left over.

May 19, 2018
Funster No
Our cadac works fine for us. Can't remember the version but it has 3 legs and one burner. I mostly use the paella pan for meat or stir fry, makes less mess in the burner tray. Also I got a tip to help prevent it blowing out. Don't use the pan support, just put the pan straight on to the burner. Never needed a windbreak doing it like that.
Another advantage of the paella pan is that you have different temperature zones in the pan. Keep things warm around the edges while hot in the centre. Plus a slight tilt keeps fat or sauce in its own area.
I wash the pan outside the van. Use blue roll paper to remove most of the mess, then a bit of washing up liquid to clean it and a kettle full of hot water to rinse off. Final rinse under the kitchen tap in the van. The paella pan half full of water will just about fit through the hab door without spilling.

I fitted a quick connector to the burner too so no spanners needed to set up on the outside gas point.

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Cadac Safari and carri chef here depending on size of party. Love them both. They have never blown out but we do use windblockers with our Omnistor awning. They can be a bit of a pain to wash.......simple solution...other half does it :LOL:

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Took me about 9 years to get a cadac, John is most certainly not a man who loves to BBQ, although he enjoys going to other peoples, then spent some christmas money on one. Now I know it is not a 'proper BBQ' but i love it and J liked it so much he paid for an external gas point to be fitted to the van. As far as i am aware he has never used it himself.
Very versatile, even boil the kettle on it sometimes. bought a Paella pan and lid, from a chinese shop in Spain, have made all sorts with it. only one negative, it is a bu**er to use in gale force torrential rain.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Cadac Safari and carri chef here depending on size of party. Love them both.
Ha, weve got 5 a d one on the way (being collected at the Lincoln show !!) 2 at home, 2 in the moho and 2 at the static ... will pe9 drop down to just 1 in the moho eventually ..

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think half the problem is that it's normally the worst cook in the house that's in charge of the BBQ. :LOL:
strange that is what SWMBO says too?
I think the main reason some people have a negative view is because of the initial cost of the thing . Way over priced in my opinion but I don’t tend to buy things new and got mine at a very good price second hand . Had I paid over £200 and then extras on top for things such as the pizza stone and chefs pan which I got included , I doubt my views would be so positive . For what I paid , its done us very well and like you say for a larger group it is probably the better option .
I don't remember paying half of that for mine?. About 5 years back at Lincoln show.
As does ours...
Anyone found a way to stop it ??
Mine is usually down wind of the wind blockers. Or a windbreak. Not had it go out on me yet?.

I find it far easier to clean than the beauclare, the large one we used to take to Spain now in use at home often needs "fettling" with an angle grinder!

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
strange that is what SWMBO says too?

I don't remember paying half of that for mine?. About 5 years back at Lincoln show.
The Carri Chef 2 retails for around £200 with accessories costing extra .
There is the smaller Safari Chef for around £100

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Had a Cadac for quite a few years, it was ok but a sod to clean. Sold it for more than I paid for it and bought an Iroda O Grill.
... and I thought the Cadacs were expensive! :oops:

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I think I need to invent a barbecue that unpacks itself , lights itself , cooks the food for you and then cleans up and packs itself away . Judging by some of the comments , sales would be very good! 😂😂😂😂
‘Just eat’ already do it for you 😜

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I like mine. I use a mat on the grill (same as goes in the bottom of the oven at home) and that washes really easily. Re the fat tray, I follow Terrys solution to clean. Wipe out with paper towel then add some washing up liquid and some water and switch on again. After a few minutes it is easy to rinse off and wipe dry.
I like you use a silicone sheet under which makes it easy to clean

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Those suitcase stoves have their uses, but be careful if you put a massive frying pan or paella pan on them, these can deflect the heat onto the gas canister and can cause them to explode.
Yes, it's a thing some people forget and hence have problems with them, we also have a BBQ version too which works well, plenty of room on it for grub and a good temperature range. Once it's been used it's just a matter of letting it cool down, give the grid top a wipe down, then the drip tray/under the burners a clean if needs be, and pop it back in the suitcase. Being flattish it's easy to store.

3 in 1 bbq stove grill.jpg

Kampa do it under their own brand named one now:

minesapint

Free Member
Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Interesting . Lots of negative comments about the Cadac range as usual . I find them very good as you can store them away with the bag and detachable legs . I admit they would be a nightmare to wash up in a motorhome . I use the camp site washing up areas . Not sure of any alternative products that are portable and more easy to clean ?
We use our Cadac all the time when away, every thing that needs to cooked gets cooked on it. It is so much better than cooking in the van as I cannot stand the cooking smell in the van. It has never let us down and we use all of its functions, such as WOK, grill, BBQ etc. Great bit of kit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back