Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Tried them . They struggle to get hot enough to cook one “real “ burger 👍🏻😁. Let alone cook for a family of 5 😁
You may have hit on the problem there :Smile: if you are cooking for 5 a cadac might be ok, as it no doubt has the capacity but for two you don't need it all but you still have to clean it all.
Never used it for more than the two of us, there is a smaller one that maybe have suited us better but certainly no regrets at getting rid of the one we had.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
I have not got a cadac, am I missing out on the chance of winning the lottery or are they just over hyped bits of kit that people have bought and are frightened to criticise for fear of ridicule? No Idea , no intention of getting one! :rolleyes:
I have one and it does NOT barbecue food. It heats it yes, fries it yes but does not (cannot) get hot enough to give a real sear to the item being cooked.
I use the paella pan mainly because you can tip that up slightly so that it slopes sufficiently to make a sauce at the lower end of the pan.

It's fine for that and better than cooking in the MH but I'm happy to admit to not being enraptured over having a Cadac.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Found ours useful for boiling crabs or lobsters (in the lid turned upside down) to keep the smell out of the van. Apart from that not much use as it blows out all the time.

Disposables better for bbq’s for us.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
You may have hit on the problem there :Smile: if you are cooking for 5 a cadac might be ok, as it no doubt has the capacity but for two you don't need it all but you still have to clean it all.
Never used it for more than the two of us, there is a smaller one that maybe have suited us better but certainly no regrets at getting rid of the one we had.
I think the main reason some people have a negative view is because of the initial cost of the thing . Way over priced in my opinion but I don’t tend to buy things new and got mine at a very good price second hand . Had I paid over £200 and then extras on top for things such as the pizza stone and chefs pan which I got included , I doubt my views would be so positive . For what I paid , its done us very well and like you say for a larger group it is probably the better option .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think the main reason some people have a negative view is because of the initial cost of the thing . Way over priced in my opinion but I don’t tend to buy things new and got mine at a very good price second hand . Had I paid over £200 and then extras on top for things such as the pizza stone and chefs pan which I got included , I doubt my views would be so positive . For what I paid , its done us very well and like you say for a larger group it is probably the better option .
We had a pizza stone with ours , it burnt one pizza then broke in half.
Oh the memories are flooding back :Eeek: :Eeek::doh:

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Wind break and still have to watch it like a hawk. Had to laugh the other week, a poster was warning people because when his went out and as he re lit it the lid blew off and hit him on the head 😳🤢

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
I have one and it does NOT barbecue food. It heats it yes, fries it yes but does not (cannot) get hot enough to give a real sear to the item being cooked.
I use the paella pan mainly because you can tip that up slightly so that it slopes sufficiently to make a sauce at the lower end of the pan.

It's fine for that and better than cooking in the MH but I'm happy to admit to not being enraptured over having a Cadac.
The trick is to keep the hood on until it gets to about 200 and then start to cook! That way you get immediate colour to the meat. You can then lower the temp and cook to your liking! Bon appetite!👍😀

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Wind break and still have to watch it like a hawk. Had to laugh the other week, a poster was warning people because when his went out and as he re lit it the lid blew off and hit him on the head 😳🤢
We missed that one with ours ;)

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
No , it's the one on 3 long legs we have - not aware of the 2/2 but just had a look and that looks more powerful and easier to store without the faff of 'building' it every stop

I like the option of either burners or griddle plates which makes it very versatile.
The burners are quite big and close to the griddle plate when they are on which allows the plate to get very hot if needed.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
The trick is to keep the hood on until it gets to about 200 and then start to cook! That way you get immediate colour to the meat. You can then lower the temp and cook to your liking! Bon appetite!👍😀

I do like the paella pan method to make a sauce with the existing one and tend to use that before the griddle plate for that reason. Maybe I should get the griddle plate hotter as you say when just wanting bbq'ed food-but then SWMBO will still want one of my delicious sauces!!

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
I like the option of either burners or griddle plates which makes it very versatile.
The burners are quite big and close to the griddle plate when they are on which allows the plate to get very hot if needed.
I think that's the problem with mine, the burner is not close enough to the pan/plate to get real heat into it - and maybe I should pre heat it for longer as suggested above.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
IMV they are NOT BBQs ... they are stoves with griddle plates, pans etc .... so why not just use a gas stove with a good frying pan/griddle pan???? Much easier to clean and store.

Deleted User
I have not got a cadac, am I missing out on the chance of winning the lottery or are they just over hyped bits of kit that people have bought and are frightened to criticise for fear of ridicule? No Idea , no intention of getting one! :rolleyes:
Don’t bother I threw ours away. Got fed up with it constantly blowing out.
spongy

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Much easier to clean and store.
Doesn’t get much easier to store......and the griddle plates are no different to a pan to clean.

8F88D796-6946-491B-AB06-BEC53C27126F.jpeg

I quite often use mine just as I would use a gas stove that I can take anywhere......LP gas supplied from the van or HP canisters so I have total portability but that’s the whole reason I bought the safari chef.

I’ve carried mine in a top box on a motorbike and ate out from it.....anyway what was the question about tin foil, can anyone remember? 🤪

Last edited:

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
We’ve got a 2 Cook Pro.
It’s the mutts nuts, but it is not a BBQ.
I purposely bought it because I didn’t want the ball-ache of cleaning a BBQ.
Comes with a griddle plate for each burner, gives a perfect sear, typical inch thick steaks done to perfection in 1 and 1/2 minutes Per side.
Takes about 1 minute to clean up after.

Attachments

• D7EEE182-0889-454B-B0BC-EBBEECA6A98D.jpeg
    D7EEE182-0889-454B-B0BC-EBBEECA6A98D.jpeg
    228.1 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
OP
OP
Spawn_e_git

Spawn_e_git

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 748
Exp
4 years
It wasnt me that posted that but I nearly had the same thing happen to me. Over £200 and no flame-out system.

Some funny replies on this 😂

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
It wasnt me that posted that but I nearly had the same thing happen to me. Over £200 and no flame-out system.

Some funny replies on this 😂

I find equally odd that you can pay towards £300 of a Weber charcoal BBQ and there is no system to stop idiots throwing petrol or BBQ lighter fluid onto a lit BBQ. :whistle2:

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I seem to be swimming against the tide here, but I really like ours.

Gets really hot - more of a griddle than a BBQ it's true, I find it easy to clean, and now I've learnt how to get everything back in the bag, convenient.

Wouldn't be without it!

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I like mine. I use a mat on the grill (same as goes in the bottom of the oven at home) and that washes really easily. Re the fat tray, I follow Terrys solution to clean. Wipe out with paper towel then add some washing up liquid and some water and switch on again. After a few minutes it is easy to rinse off and wipe dry.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Doesn’t get much easier to store......and the griddle plates are no different to a pan to clean.

View attachment 422301

I quite often use mine just as I would use a gas stove that I can take anywhere......LP gas supplied from the van or HP canisters so I have total portability but that’s the whole reason I bought the safari chef.

I’ve carried mine in a top box on a motorbike and ate out from it.....anyway what was the question about tin foil, can anyone remember? 🤪
We've had them in the past so I know how they work and pack away but IMV there's no benefit over a portable stove and a griddle pan/frying pan. The stove takes virtually no setting up (suitcase type) other than popping in the canister and getting the pan out of the MH and plonking it on it, afterwards a quick wipe of the pan with some kitchen roll and pop everything away, also I can use the stove when waiting at the chunnel to make a cup of tea when the gas has been turned off, difficult to do that with a Cadac.

If it suits you then keep on with it, everyone has their own preference.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
We've had them in the past so I know how they work and pack away but IMV there's no benefit over a portable stove and a griddle pan/frying pan. The stove takes virtually no setting up (suitcase type) other than popping in the canister and getting the pan out of the MH and plonking it on it, afterwards a quick wipe of the pan with some kitchen roll and pop everything away, also I can use the stove when waiting at the chunnel to make a cup of tea when the gas has been turned off, difficult to do that with a Cadac.

If it suits you then keep on with it, everyone has their own preference.
What you’ve described is no different to a safari chef with a gas canister.....but yeah your right everyone has there own preference.....and you were allowed to express yours, as I have expressed mine.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
What you’ve described is no different to a safari chef with a gas canister.....but yeah your right everyone has there own preference.....and you were allowed to express yours, as I have expressed mine.
Maybe ... can you use the safari chef in the MH to boil a kettle? :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back